Hi guys, 1st time poster long time reader.

As per title, Blackberry Protect keeps turning on automatically.

I purchased a Blackberry Classic (ebay). The previous owner deleted his Blackberry ID account and the first thing that I did after I received the unit was a security wipe (within handset).

I created my own Blackberry ID (didn't have one before).

I logged into Blackberry Protect and saw handset (Classic) correctly listed. I deleted the handset in Blackberry Protect. I also turned off the Blackberry Protect feature in the handset.

I have not switched from my 'old' handset yet as I have been testing and playing around with the Classic before anything.

Every now and then if I look at the Blackberry Protect feature on the Classic, I see that it has come on automatically and if I login to my Blackberry Protect account I can see the unit listed as well.

I can see that the Blackberry Protect account allows the unit to be wiped or reported stolen and this is a concern to me in the event that my Blackberry Protect account is hacked.

I am not sure why this is happening but wanted to find a way to stop this process from automatically repeating itself.

My BB10 is running
    Software release 10.3.3.1435
    OS Version 10.3.3.2163

I understand that I cannot delete the Blackberry ID from my handset without a full security wipe and I of course do not want to do that to resolve this problem.

I searched a lot on this forum but cannot seem to find an answer.

Any info much appreciated

Thanks
    11-04-17 07:59 AM
    I'm still confused as to what you are trying to do. Let me see if I understand the facts:

You have a Classic using a new BBID that you have created, and it is currently working fine. You are able to use BBM, BlackBerry World, and BlackBerry Protect. Am I right?

So what is it you want to do now?
    11-04-17 09:35 AM
    conite

I'm still confused as to what you are trying to do. Let me see if I understand the facts:

You have a Classic using a new BBID that you have created, and it is currently working fine. You are able to use BBM, BlackBerry World, and BlackBerry Protect. Am I right?

So what is it you want to do now?

Many thanks for your reply conite

I just want Blackberry Protect to stop turning itself on automatically after I have disabled it on the handset and removed / deleted the unit from the Blackberry Protect web site.

Cheers
    11-04-17 09:58 AM
    Many thanks for your reply conite

I just want Blackberry Protect to stop turning itself on automatically after I have disabled it on the handset and removed / deleted the unit from the Blackberry Protect web site.

Cheers
    I'm curious as to why? Don't you want the service?
    11-04-17 10:46 AM
    conite as I stated in my post, if my BB account were hacked, then the phone could be erased or reported as stolen.

Not really worth taking such a risk, well at least not in my opinion, however small that risk maybe.

Cheers
    Last edited by risk_reversal; 11-04-17 at 12:17 PM.
    11-04-17 11:01 AM
    conite as I stated in my post, if my BB account were hacked, then the phone could be erased or reported as stolen.

Not really worth taking such a risk, well at least not in my opinion, however small that risk maybe.

Cheers
    You think the risk of getting your BBID hacked and your phone getting remotely wiped is greater than you having your device lost or stolen?! Holy smokes.

But to answer your question, you've done all you can. Disable from device, and remove device from online BlackBerry Protect. If it comes back, it's a bug.
    11-04-17 12:28 PM
    Cheers, conite

ps. As they used to say when win98 can out 'It's not a bug, it's a feature'
    11-04-17 12:47 PM
    Cheers, conite

ps. As they used to say when win98 can out 'It's not a bug, it's a feature'
    I should add that sometimes you have to do the two things in rapid succession before one turns the other back on.
    11-04-17 01:02 PM
    Hi guys, 1st time poster long time reader.

As per title, Blackberry Protect keeps turning on automatically.

I purchased a Blackberry Classic (ebay). The previous owner deleted his Blackberry ID account and the first thing that I did after I received the unit was a security wipe (within handset).

I created my own Blackberry ID (didn't have one before).

I logged into Blackberry Protect and saw handset (Classic) correctly listed. I deleted the handset in Blackberry Protect. I also turned off the Blackberry Protect feature in the handset.

I have not switched from my 'old' handset yet as I have been testing and playing around with the Classic before anything.

Every now and then if I look at the Blackberry Protect feature on the Classic, I see that it has come on automatically and if I login to my Blackberry Protect account I can see the unit listed as well.

I can see that the Blackberry Protect account allows the unit to be wiped or reported stolen and this is a concern to me in the event that my Blackberry Protect account is hacked.

I am not sure why this is happening but wanted to find a way to stop this process from automatically repeating itself.

My BB10 is running
    Software release 10.3.3.1435
    OS Version 10.3.3.2163

I understand that I cannot delete the Blackberry ID from my handset without a full security wipe and I of course do not want to do that to resolve this problem.

I searched a lot on this forum but cannot seem to find an answer.

Any info much appreciated

Thanks
    Remember when you first activated Protect, you just enabled the function on your phone and that was it. Your phone talked to Protect server and then was listed on Protect site in your account.
    I think it starts with the phone so make sure that data communication of the phone is disable before disabling Protect, meaning turning off wifi and mobile data. Disable Protect on the phone first, then use a computer or another device to remove the phone from your account on Protect site, then go back to the phone to check if Protect is still in disable mode. Remember that these must be done when all phone data communication is off - I put my phone into fly mode to save a few steps. If your phone can talk to the server during this process, it may not work and you may still see the phone listed in your Protect account though protect on the phone still show as disable.
    After all these are done, enable data communication on the phone. Check again a few hours later to make sure that Protect is not coming back both on the phone and on Protect site.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-17 11:02 AM
    Many thanks littlebuff. I will give your instructions a try.

I did have a 'mare' with my Classic yesterday, thought that I had bricked it but this morning it was fine.

I have deleted the original Blackberry ID and will create a new one. The handset is not linked to any account whatsoever at the moment (all blank in the phone's Settings).

Cheers
    11-09-17 12:08 PM
    Many thanks littlebuff. I will give your instructions a try.

I did have a 'mare' with my Classic yesterday, thought that I had bricked it but this morning it was fine.

I have deleted the original Blackberry ID and will create a new one. The handset is not linked to any account whatsoever at the moment (all blank in the phone's Settings).

Cheers
    Did you get this figured out? We're having similar issues with two devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-17 12:23 AM