Because every other brand just slaps together a slab of plastic to a slab of glass and calls it a new phone...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Irrelevant. If they announce a date they should hit the date. Its been long standing RIM to do this. Chen said 2014.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 12:55 PM
    Heins was the "arsclown" that had the vision to start bringing BlackBerry into the 21st century. He brought out BB10 and BlackBerry's first all touch devices, the Z10 and Z30 which so many people here claim to be the best phones currently on the market.

So maybe he wasn't such a huge "arsclown".

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Considering the Passport seems to be out performing probably both the Z10 and Z30 combined, it would seem that yet another glass slab isn't the way to grab the attention of the market. But yes, we need more glass slabs, there just aren't enough of those out there...

10-19-14 02:23 PM
    Irrelevant. If they announce a date they should hit the date. Its been long standing RIM to do this. Chen said 2014.

Posted via CB10
    And wasn't he on schedule for the Passport? Are we all going to play psychic because unless my calendar isn't working correctly, November hasn't passed yet...

10-19-14 02:24 PM
    Considering the Passport seems to be out performing probably both the Z10 and Z30 combined, it would seem that yet another glass slab isn't the way to grab the attention of the market. But yes, we need more glass slabs, there just aren't enough of those out there...

So the solution is more keyboards? If people wanted more keyboards BlackBerry wouldn't be in trouble in the first place.

And by the way, what OS does the Passport use? Oh BB10. Heins.

And as usual you missed the point completely. The point wasn't whether BlackBerry should have more PKB devices or all touch. The point was that Heins wasn't an "arsclown" and should be given some credit.

10-19-14 02:56 PM
    It will be more difficult than I expected...To get the new Blackberry Classic

Ace Marsan
    10-19-14 03:26 PM
    Blackberry didn't lose market share because the public doesn't want keyboards. It lost because it stopped focusing on what they were really good at - making high quality, beautiful, easy to use devices for the productivity focused business executive who needs to be "always connected." They started marketing devices (starting with the Curve) to consumers, but half-assed it.
    I do agree with you there partially. They did start making low quality devices, and that hurt the company.

Not having any touch options also hurt them. The first iPhones were not great quality either, but people wanted them because of the larger screen size. BlackBerry underestimated the importance of the touch screen. BlackBerry were pretty clear that they didn't think the touch screen would last. They thought it was a fad and they were wrong.

The popularity and court injunction against Ryan Seacrest's copycat Blackberry keyboard for iPhones is a good indicator of popular demand for a keyboard device.
    No. That's indicative of the fact that BlackBerry has a strong patent. Even if there was zero demand for PKB another company cannot infringe on someone else's patent.

OS10 was in under development well before Heins took over. He also hasn't taken another good, senior-level role at a tech company since he left Blackberry.
    As part of his severance I'm sure he has a no compete clause for a whole. Let's not forget that hour got a huge severance. BlackBerry aren't going to let him collect that whole also earning a salary at another company.

Again, I'm not saying Heins was brilliant, but he was far from being an "arsclown" he deserves some credit. Let's not forget people here were singing his praises just as much as they are now singing Chen's.

That's just rude. Debate the topic, not the poster.
    It's rude to tell him that he missed my point, but his sarcastic comments about needing more glass slabs is fine I guess.

And what about calling Heins an "arsclown"? I guess that's OK too?

My original post about giving Heins some credit and not calling him an "arsclown" was polite and respectful. Slagman's response was rude and sarcastic. If people's responses to my posts are polite and stick to debating the points then my responses will also be in turn. The problem is that apparently it's ok for some people to be rude as long as what they are saying is popular.

Last edited by crazigee; 10-19-14 at 04:27 PM.
    10-19-14 04:14 PM
    So the solution is more keyboards? If people wanted more keyboards BlackBerry wouldn't be in trouble in the first place.

And by the way, what OS does the Passport use? Oh BB10. Heins.

And as usual you missed the point completely. The point wasn't whether BlackBerry should have more PKB devices or all touch. The point was that Heins wasn't an "arsclown" and should be given some credit.

I'm not the one who missed the point. The Passport isn't just a "keyboard" phone. It happens to have a keyboard. It stands out because it is different. Making another glass slab like 99.9% of the phones out there would simply lead to people not even looking at it despite the specs...

10-19-14 05:25 PM
    I'm not the one who missed the point. The Passport isn't just a "keyboard" phone. It happens to have a keyboard. It stands out because it is different. Making another glass slab like 99.9% of the phones out there would simply lead to people not even looking at it despite the specs...

Stop looking for an argument. I'm not saying anything about PKB versus touch. All I'm saying is that Heins isn't an "arsclown" and deserves some credit.

That's my point.

10-19-14 05:29 PM
    Stop looking for an argument. I'm not saying anything about PKB versus touch. All I'm saying is that Heins isn't an "arsclown" and deserves some credit.

That's my point.

Ok, whether or not he is whatever insulting name doesn't really concern me or not because that's a subjective label, if he thinks he's an "arsclown" or whatever, then he's an "arsclown" to him. I only care to discuss what your reasoning is for defending him... If you don't want to discuss that, then we don't have to.

10-19-14 06:47 PM
    We'd all rather a civil forum where the mods didn't have to step in and separate two 30yr olds. If someone's offended or feel a reply isn't "polite", there's a way to do that without lowering yourself to the same level.

Some users here are well known to be argumentative and bullies - why risk giving everyone that impression too? Can't we all just get along? Taking the high road when insulted won't hurt anyone.
    A polite and civil forum is exactly what I would like. As it's clear that there is a double standard at play in this thread I'm going to bow out.

When you jump down all over me and keep calling me rude, when I in fact said nothing rude at all, but don't comment on what is actually rude and argumentative behavior by others (name calling and sarcasm) it's clear there can't be any civil discussion here.

Heins was an arsclown. Chen is the real deal.
    But yes, we need more glass slabs, there just aren't enough of those out there...
    I'm out.

Last edited by crazigee; 10-20-14 at 09:33 AM.
    10-19-14 10:39 PM
    Let's get back on track here ladies. When do we think this thing is going to drop??
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-20-14 10:26 AM
    Let's get back on track here ladies. When do we think this thing is going to drop??
    I agree. Where can I get on the pre order list? Can't wait to have this thing in my hands!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-20-14 11:05 AM
    I know many people who miss their BlackBerry keyboard but otherwise love their iPhone.

What many people really want is a BlackBerry keyboard with a modern touch OS.
    The Passport gives you that so will the classic to a lesser degree. The Classic will have a larger screen area than an iPhone 4s.

I also know people that value screen size over a keyboard but still prefer a PKB. The Passport in many cases (except video) gives you both.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 11:37 AM
    does anybody know which battery door is going to be on the classic? i was never really a fan of the glass weave
    10-20-14 03:48 PM
    every other brand get out their phones so quickly it seems, why does it take Blackberry so long to get things done, the Classic is supposed to be their "money maker" device? Does anyone know for CERTAIN if Verizon will offer it?
    That's b.c blackberry is a huge mess of a company. I might love their phones but I hate them as a company.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 03:53 PM
    does anybody know which battery door is going to be on the classic? i was never really a fan of the glass weave
    No problem, most likely we will be getting the much cheaper plastic one.

10-20-14 03:54 PM
    No problem, most likely we will be getting the much cheaper plastic one.

i would much rather have plastic that looks like plastic than plastic that is made to look like "glass weave" which in turn is made to look like carbon fiber.
    10-20-14 04:30 PM
    i would much rather have plastic that looks like plastic than plastic that is made to look like "glass weave" which in turn is made to look like carbon fiber.
    Um, not to be rude, but glass weave is glass weave, it isn't plastic. It is not "made to look like" anything, it is what it is. Have you heard of fiber-glass? Do you know its purpose? It is a material that is stronger than steel of the same weight. Glass weave is like fiberglass but it is woven like carbon fiber. You cannot use carbon fiber on phones because it is conducive and will act as a faraday cage and will interfere with phone signal. Glass will not. So a glass weave back is lighter and stronger than a plastic back, and is technically stronger than steel of the same weight. Before you come back harping on the stronger than steel claim, notice the "of the same weight" part...

Dave Bourque and Xenolock like this.
    10-20-14 05:51 PM
    This is my main complaint with the Q10. Faux anything just looks cheap in a conference room.
    Well, look at my reply above. :-)

10-20-14 06:12 PM
    I'm fine with the logic (not an engineer, won't question it). Just personally don't like the look of the glass weave back.
    That's fine, and you're entitled to your opinion. Just stating that it has nothing to do with being "faux" anything. If you don't like the look you don't like the look. I can't knock you for an opinion.
    10-20-14 09:22 PM
    Um, not to be rude, but glass weave is glass weave, it isn't plastic. It is not "made to look like" anything, it is what it is. Have you heard of fiber-glass? Do you know its purpose? It is a material that is stronger than steel of the same weight. Glass weave is like fiberglass but it is woven like carbon fiber. You cannot use carbon fiber on phones because it is conducive and will act as a faraday cage and will interfere with phone signal. Glass will not. So a glass weave back is lighter and stronger than a plastic back, and is technically stronger than steel of the same weight. Before you come back harping on the stronger than steel claim, notice the "of the same weight" part...

yes i know what it is, but it looks horrendous when it begins to fade at the edges, which is guaranteed if you dont use a case.. let's be serious, the reason why that's back there is purely cosmetical. I think you're trying to find a purpose for the nanometer thick glass weave coating. blackberry is definitely towards the top when it comes to build quality, i think they could find something better than the glass weave
    10-20-14 11:08 PM
    I am sadly on the one track answer with January.
    Hoping for November.
    10-20-14 11:16 PM
    yes i know what it is, but it looks horrendous when it begins to fade at the edges, which is guaranteed if you dont use a case.. let's be serious, the reason why that's back there is purely cosmetical, so the people who don't know what it is will think it's a cool carbon fiber and if you do know what it is, you get to call it glass weave. I think you're trying to find a purpose for the nanometer thick glass weave coating. blackberry is definitely towards the top when it comes to build quality, i think they could find something better than the glass weave
    You know what it is? So somehow "plastic made to look like carbon fiber" is knowing that it's not at all plastic and it's not at all made to look like anything? Anyway, whatever, claim whatever you want to. But about it "fading" on the edges, what are you talking about? What exactly "fades"? I've had my Q10 since launch and I literally toss my phone onto tables and am not at all gentle with it and never have used a case, ever, and even my holster (Sedio) leaves the back completely exposed to the elements, and I go on 3-4 hour bike rides in the blazing sun with the phone exposed on the belt holster that way every Sunday and I haven't noticed anything "fading." As if you can even make something that is the exact visible structure of something "fade" anyway...

Please excuse the poor pictures, but you can still clearly see the glass weave all around every corner (don't mind the flash, lighting in my room is not optimal.)
    Blackberry Classics....when?-img_20141021_001253.jpg
    Blackberry Classics....when?-img_20141021_001319.jpg

UrbanGlowCam and elgolfman like this.
    10-20-14 11:21 PM
    Blackberry Classics....when?-image1.jpg

this fading.. it has happened on both of my bolds

edit
    upon further investigation, it appears as though there's a plastic wall bordering outer edge of the battery door. as the glass weave or clear coat if there is one? wears over time, the "wall" is slowly revealed. if you hold the door up to a light source, it's clear that the glass weave is built throughout the thickness of the battery door and there's no glass weave coating over plastic
    Last edited by TheyCallMeBriaN; 10-20-14 at 11:49 PM.
    10-20-14 11:33 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	307975

this fading.. it has happened on both of my bolds

edit
    upon further investigation, it appears as though there's a plastic wall bordering outer edge of the battery door. as the glass weave or clear coat if there is one? wears over time, the "wall" is slowly revealed. if you hold the door up to a light source, it's clear that the glass weave is built throughout the thickness of the battery door and there's no glass weave coating over plastic
    Ok, just to clear things up, my phone is a Q10. While technically yes, they both used glass weave, the glass weave on the bold 9900 is purely for looks. It's only one layer of glass weave coated with plastic. That one layer, if out of the plastic, will be very flexible, almost like a fabric, except being made of glass stands, if you fold it completely, it'll start to break. Fiberglass and glass weave would get its strength when layered, kind of like kevlar. What you see fading is simply the plastic that is coated over the glass weave in the case of the Bold 9900. And it's not really fading, but getting scratched up so it's starting to become clouded so you cannot see the glass weave pattern as well.

On devices such as the Q10 and Z30, the glass weave is indeed layered. I can't say how many, not many I would have to say. If I had to guess I would say there's a frame of plastic that acts as the device that defines the curved edges and also lock the battery door in place, and possibly 3 layers of the glass weave formed around it. On the Q10, instead of a layer of plastic covering it, it feels like they made some kind of clear epoxy to coat the entire outside of it. The inside is coated with plastic.

There always need to be some kind of coating on it because since it is just woven strands of glass, if left exposed would come apart fairly easily and would be quite rough to the touch.

I personally really like the glass weave look. It's unique compared to most other phones, and the process is complicated enough for me to appreciate a bit more than simply a sheet of plastic...

The Bold 9900 battery door you have looked nice in the beginning, but once the plastic layer gets scratched, it looked pretty bad...

10-21-14 12:53 AM
60 123