Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    The wifi on my Classic has worked fine for years, subject to its own special limitations. However, the other day, it kept reverting to Off as quickly as I could turn it On. When I could get it On briefly, it couldn't find any networks, and quickly turned Off again anyway. I tried restarting the device a couple of times, to no avail. I would have pulled the battery, but that's beyond my scope of practice. So I did the next best thing...

Ran the battery down to zero. It shuts itself down at about 5%: tough, I restarted it and keep running it until all I could get is a big red battery icon. Then I let it rest in peace for a while. After that, recharged and started it and the problem was resolved. PS. IT SEEMS THIS WAS A TEMPORARY FIX, SIGH.

I had to do the same thing a while ago when the battery indicator had gone wonky. Now I'm thinking this might be a handy solution to other problems.
    Last edited by Paddle4Peace; 05-02-19 at 06:26 PM.
    04-30-19 07:23 PM
    What types of rebooting did you try before draining the battery?

Posted via CB10
    04-30-19 07:26 PM
    Only the standard "press and hold and wait 3 seconds"; is there another way? (As I just noted the problem has returned, along with a permanent "Preparing BlackBerry Hub" condition.)
    05-02-19 06:28 PM
    Thanks to your question, I found and tried the three-finger salute method. That solved the permanent "Preparing BlackBerry Hub" issue 9at least for now, but the original "wifi won't stay on" problem is still there.

BlackBerry Classic, SQC100-4, 10.3.3.2137
    05-02-19 06:43 PM
    Thanks to your question, I found and tried the three-finger salute method. That solved the permanent "Preparing BlackBerry Hub" issue 9at least for now, but the original "wifi won't stay on" problem is still there.

BlackBerry Classic, SQC100-4, 10.3.3.2137
    Not sure what the 'three finger salute' is, but here are the types of reboot;

-Hold power button, press "restart"
    -Hold power button for twelve seconds, then let it reboot
    -Press and hold both volume buttons simultaneously until the phone reboots

If the problem persists, you'll probably need to reload the OS - preferably with an autoloader.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-19 07:19 PM
    Thanks Ben. The term "three finger salute" refers to the <ctrl+alt+del> reboot for Windows. BlackBerry has implemented something analogous on devices with a keyboard : press and hold all three of alt, right shift, and delete for a few seconds.

Now back to the wifi problem...
    05-02-19 07:38 PM
    Now back to the wifi problem...
    Try those types of rebooting, wait 10 minutes after each boot before touching the device again.
    If the issue survives, reload the OS with the latest autoloader.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-19 07:18 AM
    Reloading the OS feels like it's beyond me.; I have no idea what's involved or what the risks are. I think I'll have to struggle by using only my data plan instead of wifi.
    05-18-19 11:37 AM
    Reloading the OS feels like it's beyond me.; I have no idea what's involved or what the risks are. I think I'll have to struggle by using only my data plan instead of wifi.
    If you ever decide to reload, feel free to ask- there's lots of people here who can walk you through it.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-19 11:50 AM
    The process is extremely easy and only takes about 15 minutes after you download the autoloader. Even if you use the wrong autoloader you just try again with the right one. You really can't permanently brick your device.
    05-18-19 01:53 PM