You also won't be able to use Blackberry World, turn Protect back on, back up using Link/Sachesi/DBBT, etc.

As a side note Doc, no need to skip setting up the BBID if you don't want to. All evidence says that will still be going strong for some time to come.

Posted via CB10
    I see. I'm still on it. I will have to see what's in store before the year ends. I'm comfy with classic as a basic phone as long as it's working for calls and sms. Thanks Trumpet. Will be bugging you sooner than you know lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-19 06:14 PM
    I think is unlikely anyone could recover data from a BB10 phone if it wasn't encrypted... unless they had access to some major equipment.

I don't know of any BB10 file recovery utilities, and if you plug you phone into a PC you don't get the access that normal file recovery application need. Many here have wanted a way to recover their lost files...
    I guess it depends on your definition of "major" equipment. If you're willing to destroy the device, recovering unencrypted data from device memory isn't very difficult. There are plenty of forensic experts who make a living doing it.
    07-02-19 07:14 PM
    I see. I'm still on it. I will have to see what's in store before the year ends. I'm comfy with classic as a basic phone as long as it's working for calls and sms. Thanks Trumpet. Will be bugging you sooner than you know lol.

Posted via CB10
    Bug away sir! I'm available both here and on the Blackberry subreddit, as a humble resource for the BB10 faithful.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    07-03-19 03:26 AM
    Bug away sir! I'm available both here and on the Blackberry subreddit, as a humble resource for the BB10 faithful.
    Haha will do. Soon! Thanks.
    I just love how this phone intrigues everyone at work.

Me: takin my iPhone out in the wards
    Staff: didn't care. Everyone got an iphone
    Me: takin my Note out in the wards
    Staff: didn't pay attention, it's a techy one for the techs
    Me: answering calls on BlackBerry
    Staff: woooah Dr is that a BlackBerry? It's so cool (and blah blah blah)
    Me: sips coffee )

Posted via CB10
    the_boon likes this.
    07-03-19 04:42 PM
    if WhatsApp works on the classic , I'll be using it till 2025 . but with no WhatsApp can't make a justification using it
    12-13-19 07:32 AM
    if WhatsApp works on the classic , I'll be using it till 2025 . but with no WhatsApp can't make a justification using it
    It works really well on my PPSE. Downloaded right from whatsapp.

Posted via my Awesome Passport SE SQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 pin:2C33423A
    12-13-19 08:36 AM
    It should work fine for some time, you won't get amazing battery life if you use it a lot though.

And I don't think you'll be able to make chat/media backups to your Google Drive account like you would on an Android device
    12-13-19 11:24 AM
    It will work until it suddenly doesn't. So, good luck.

It's unfortunately a bit of a battery killer though.
    12-13-19 11:26 AM
    It will work until it suddenly doesn't. So, good luck.

It's unfortunately a bit of a battery killer though.
    Lol I remember when you said back in late 2017 when BB10 WhatsApp was set to cease, that the Android apk "could break at any moment".

Yet here we are, in almost 2020, and not only does Android WhatsApp apk still work, but whatsfixer and an SDcard aren't even required anymore for sendign/receiving media!
    12-13-19 12:12 PM
    Lol I remember when you said back in late 2017 when BB10 WhatsApp was set to cease, that the Android apk "could break at any moment".

Yet here we are, in almost 2020, and not only does Android WhatsApp apk still work, but whatsfixer and an SDcard aren't even required anymore for sendign/receiving media!
    But it WAS broken for some time if you recall. It took a keen developer to salvage the app so we could use it (WhatsApp Fixer). Something else like that can happen at any time. Android 4.3 compatibility is no guarantee by itself.
    12-13-19 12:14 PM

The guy who worked for WhatsApp had his doubts about how long those old APIs were going to be allowed.....

It is crazy it works better today than it did back then, but there is no guarantee.... which is true of the whole platform at this point. Anything could go at any time now - or be good for another decade. My guess is it will be somewhere in-between.
    12-13-19 02:51 PM
    The guy who worked for WhatsApp had his doubts about how long those old APIs were going to be allowed.....

It is crazy it works better today than it did back then, but there is no guarantee.... which is true of the whole platform at this point. Anything could go at any time now - or be good for another decade. My guess is it will be somewhere in-between.
    You claim 10 minutes or ten years and split it. Cut that in half for me. Five minutes or five years but I expect about two at most since all the official BB people have disappeared from CrackBerry recently.
    12-14-19 08:23 PM
    You claim 10 minutes or ten years and split it. Cut that in half for me. Five minutes or five years but I expect about two at most since all the official BB people have disappeared from CrackBerry recently.
    Look out, Chuck obviously has some inside information here, come on Chuck,we need a more accurate time frame, I need to know how long I've got left in BB10!!!!

Posted via CB10 using my P'9982 running 10.3.3.3216
    12-15-19 05:57 AM
    However, WhatsApp Fixer is not needed any more and the app works flawlessly, isn't that so?
    12-15-19 08:08 AM
    However, WhatsApp Fixer is not needed any more and the app works flawlessly, isn't that so?
    It's not needed, that's correct. It started working like it stopped working in the same way - a random update to the app.
    12-15-19 08:13 AM
    Look out, Chuck obviously has some inside information here, come on Chuck,we need a more accurate time frame, I need to know how long I've got left in BB10!!!!

17 days and ??? That’s all I got
    12-15-19 11:41 AM
    17 days and ??? That’s all I got
    Oh well, I'll just have to fly by the seat of my pants then!

12-15-19 01:43 PM
    My guess is as soon as BlackBerry's software business is out of the mess it's in and BlackBerry can stand some negative chatter... they'll pull the plug.

They just didn't need both the end of the smartphone licensing and an end to BBOS and BB10 support to all hit at one time.
    12-16-19 07:19 AM
    My guess is as soon as BlackBerry's software business is out of the mess it's in and BlackBerry can stand some negative chatter... they'll pull the plug.

They just didn't need both the end of the smartphone licensing and an end to BBOS and BB10 support to all hit at one time.
    I don't know. I think Wall Street and the portfolio managers who buy and sell the stock would probably see it as the end of a long-term known plan. Mobile hardware has been a rounding error for years now.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-16-19 08:33 AM
    I dont see real negative news coming even if they did pull the plug. They warned for 2 years to move away from BB10 and that EOL was coming. Unless there is some uber elite govt that is still requesting support and paying for it. A few bb10 holdouts wont harm their rep at all in a business they exited many moons ago
    12-16-19 09:37 AM
    I dont see real negative news coming even if they did pull the plug. They warned for 2 years to move away from BB10 and that EOL was coming. Unless there is some uber elite govt that is still requesting support and paying for it. A few bb10 holdouts wont harm their rep at all in a business they exited many moons ago
    Correct. I think there may be a handful of small Govt/Mil groups with older BES and minifleets of locked-down BB10 phones that are willing to cover the direct costs with a fair markup of continued support indefinitely (while they plan their upgrade to whatever they are planning for next).

I know a couple of individuals who still carry employer-issued BB10 phones. They work in offices that also still support BBOS. They are not expected to use their phones for any functions other than internal email and messaging.

12-16-19 09:48 AM
    If you aren't concerned with apps and only care about email, text and phoning I don't see an issue. If my father's Classic hadn't had an absolute meltdown and hadn't refused to switch the date back on 09 March 2018 (despite a factory reset) and Bell had been helpful and told us that it was actually a sim card issue, he'd still have it. Instead he puts up with his KeyOne. If I didn't need certain apps while traveling for work, I'd have kept my Passport going as well. So if the classic makes you happy and serves you well, then let it ride.
    12-16-19 04:29 PM
    I love the classic, but since I ran into problems with BB-Protect (unable to remove it from the phone, even with access to the BB-ID, the BB-IDs email and everything) I am not sure if the Phone will get "bricked by time" eventually when BB-ID goes offline and I cant use an autoloader to quick fix it's strange bugs (Like stopping to play Android once every 2 years)
    12-17-19 12:28 AM
    I love the classic, but since I ran into problems with BB-Protect (unable to remove it from the phone, even with access to the BB-ID, the BB-IDs email and everything) I am not sure if the Phone will get "bricked by time" eventually when BB-ID goes offline and I cant use an autoloader to quick fix it's strange bugs (Like stopping to play Android once every 2 years)
    I haven't had that problem. I just turn off BlackBerry Protect on the phone, wait an hour or so to make sure it syncs with the Protect server, confirm it's off on the BlackBerry Protect Web site, then perform a factory reset before using an autoloader.

I don't know if that last step is necessary, but it seemed like a good idea to use the built in functionality that the phone was developed and tested with.

12-17-19 03:00 AM
    I have 2 BB Classics.

Device A is currently listed in my Accounts BB-Protect - Only the phone does not know it, has not even a BB-ID right now. (so I was able to skip the step to reconnect to the BB-ID for "Anti Theft" and creating/login to an BB-ID was optional)

Also all the cool tricks like message and ringing do not work, since the website is not able to "connect" to the phone.

Device B is forcing me to set it up with the original BB-ID because of anti theft - only that I had disabled Anti-Theft and removed the device from BB-Protect ( I have access to the initial BB-ID).

The device can't connect to BB-Protect.

My guess is that I am either more stupid than BB ever anticipated, or the functionality behind the BB-Protect service has already been removed for BB OS 10
    12-17-19 07:51 AM
176 ... 5678