I haven't seen a documented procedure that doesn't require at least validating through the device log on.

I can confirm, however, that it's possible to turn off BlackBerry Protect on a working device without Internet connectivity if you're properly logged on, then the BlackBerry Protect service will sync with local settings and turn off once you reconnect to the Internet. I did this yesterday, though I didn't take it a step further and rest ore the phone without first syncing. It's possible that that would fail.

I would still be very nervous running BlackBerry Protect if the BBID servers weren't available. I have no confidence it would really be possible to restore the device in that scenario.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Matter of fact, if someone is only gonna be using Android apk's after 2020 and won't need anything at all from BBW, I would suggest they back everything up and then factory reset the phone (with BB Protect disabled of course) and start fresh WITHOUT any BB ID before the deadline, that way if any servers do shut down they'll have something that's not attached to any BlackBerry ID or Protect or server, and they'll be able to use just fine with the stock pre-loaded apps and whatever Android apk's work by then.
    howarmat, Dr Doc and WES51 like this.
    06-30-19 10:54 AM
    Matter of fact, if someone is only gonna be using Android apk's after 2020 and won't need anything at all from BBW, I would suggest they back everything up and then factory reset the phone (with BB Protect disabled of course) and start fresh WITHOUT any BB ID before the deadline, that way if any servers do shut down they'll have something that's not attached to any BlackBerry ID or Protect or server, and they'll be able to use just fine with the stock pre-loaded apps and whatever Android apk's work by then.
    Only Android APKs??? That would be like playing Russian Roulette daily to see if services still work!

My attitude is the exact opposite. Factory reset the phone and load ZERO additional apps, just using it stock for its core functions. Then move any apps that no longer work off of the Home screen into a dead apps folder f they can't be deleted.

I've always felt that Android apps work 1000% better on Android.

06-30-19 12:53 PM
    Only Android APKs??? That would be like playing Russian Roulette daily to see if services still work!

My attitude is the exact opposite. Factory reset the phone and load ZERO additional apps, just using it stock for its core functions. Then move any apps that no longer work off of the Home screen into a dead apps folder f they can't be deleted.

Right for better security you would only use the BB10 apps BUT after BBWorld shuts down that becomes much harder. Using the Android apps only is a work around for people that require/want more than the stock BB10 apps supply after clean install of the OS. Most people dont have just the basic needs that you require or dont want to own an android or iphone at all so this is their only alternative choice pretty much
    06-30-19 01:13 PM
    Right for better security you would only use the BB10 apps BUT after BBWorld shuts down that becomes much harder. Using the Android apps only is a work around for people that require/want more than the stock BB10 apps supply after clean install of the OS. Most people dont have just the basic needs that you require or dont want to own an android or iphone at all so this is their only alternative choice pretty much
    You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about using any BlackBerry World apps. Just the stock apps you have after a factory reset.

06-30-19 02:16 PM

Ok, maybe I was misunderstood.

BBW will shut down on 01/01/2020. Therefore, a BB10 device that already has native apps from BBW should be fine after that date, but BBW won't be accessible for new downloads.

Now that we have that out of the way, my suggestion was for those who don't want to have a BB ID on their device on 12/32/2019 at midnight for fear of issues with Protect, their only solution is to disable BB Protect and then factory reset the phone BEFORE that deadline, in order to have a clean phone with no account associated to it when the clock hits midnight.

That way, even if BB Protect and BB ID servers go kaput (which they probably will), then those clean reset devices should not be affected, as long as they remain devoid of any BB account.

From there, they can be used as phones running Android 4.3.

This is even better ever since the WhatsApp apk doesn't need the WhatsFixer to send/receive media anymore, because that fixer was only available on BBW.

And lastly, of course an Android phone will run those apps 10x better, but if someone HAS to have that BB10 hardware, then that's the solution I was proposing.
    06-30-19 02:21 PM
    You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about using any BlackBerry World apps. Just the stock apps you have after a factory reset.

No i understand, Im just saying most people cant get by on that basic of a phone. They atleast need some things from app world and since that will no longer be an option the android APK route is only choice
    06-30-19 02:25 PM
    OK. Understood.

Personally I think the main reason to use BB10 is the integrated stock apps from BlackBerry that don't require BlackBerry World in the first place because they are bundled with the OS.

Once you go beyond that, you either have to rely on BlackBerry World or on outdated APKs.

06-30-19 02:26 PM
    No i understand, Im just saying most people cant get by on that basic of a phone. They atleast need some things from app world and since that will no longer be an option the android APK route is only choice
    To me, if you need a phone that does more than BB10, it's time to move on. I wouldn't want to use a tool that wasn't the best available for my needs.

But that's just me. I guess if you have an emotional attachment to Bb10, it might be worth it to compromise on the apps you use. I just can't imagine thinking that way.

I don't believe in loyalty when it comes to the tech I use to get my work done. I am pretty selfish when it comes to my professional requirements. I switch tools whenever I see an advantage to doing so!
    howarmat likes this.
    06-30-19 02:54 PM
    To me, if you need a phone that does more than BB10, it's time to move on. I wouldn't want to use a tool that wasn't the best available for my needs.

But that's just me. I guess if you have an emotional attachment to Bb10, it might be worth it to compromise on the apps you use. I just can't imagine thinking that way.

I don't believe in loyalty when it comes to the tech I use to get my work done. I am pretty selfish when it comes to my professional requirements. I switch tools whenever I see an advantage to doing so!
    Ditto.

Uhmmm just a question. How do I reset without having to put any BlackBerry account afterwards on my classic? Isn't it needed to make the phone work? I've already turned off the protect service.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-19 12:16 AM
    Ditto.

Uhmmm just a question. How do I reset without having to put any BlackBerry account afterwards on my classic? Isn't it needed to make the phone work? I've already turned off the protect service.

Posted via CB10
    If you turn off Protect and then do a security wipe, you can skip the BBID login when setting it up from scratch.
    07-02-19 02:13 AM
    If you turn off Protect and then do a security wipe, you can skip the BBID login when setting it up from scratch.
    Thanks Conite. Very helpful info. So when I do that I won't be able to use my BBM yeah?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-19 02:24 AM
    Thanks Conite. Very helpful info. So when I do that I won't be able to use my BBM yeah?

Posted via CB10
    That's correct.
    07-02-19 02:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    You also won't be able to use Blackberry World, turn Protect back on, back up using Link/Sachesi/DBBT, etc.

As a side note Doc, no need to skip setting up the BBID if you don't want to. All evidence says that will still be going strong for some time to come.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-19 04:31 AM
    and then do a security wipe
    They sure have a fancy way of calling a factory reset
    07-02-19 07:52 AM
    They sure have a fancy way of calling a factory reset
    Yes. But technically it also fills the unused portion of device storage with random ones and zeroes.
    07-02-19 07:53 AM
    Yes. But technically it also fills the unused portion of device storage with random ones and zeroes.
    Is that even necessary?
    07-02-19 08:18 AM
    Is that even necessary?
    For super top secrete James Bond type data that might have once been stored there... yes! As only the NSA or equivalent has the capabilities to pull out your storage and break the encryption and find any lost fragments of data residing in sectors that have not been "wiped" or over written at least seven times.

For most of us here... no, it's a waste of time.
    07-02-19 08:26 AM
    Is that even necessary?
    Only if you leave device encryption disabled - which Is the default on BB10.
    07-02-19 08:26 AM
    Just to summarize the security wipe issue, if your device is not encrypted someone with physical possession could probably recover some of the data after a simple reset, but it's very unlikely any adversary other than a major government could recover encrypted data.

07-02-19 02:13 PM
    Just to summarize the security wipe issue, if your device is not encrypted someone with physical possession could probably recover some of the data after a simple reset, but it's very unlikely any adversary other than a major government could recover encrypted data.

I think is unlikely anyone could recover data from a BB10 phone if it wasn't encrypted... unless they had access to some major equipment.

I don't know of any BB10 file recovery utilities, and if you plug you phone into a PC you don't get the access that normal file recovery application need. Many here have wanted a way to recover their lost files...
    07-02-19 03:04 PM
    I think is unlikely anyone could recover data from a BB10 phone if it wasn't encrypted... unless they had access to some major equipment.

I don't know of any BB10 file recovery utilities, and if you plug you phone into a PC you don't get the access that normal file recovery application need. Many here have wanted a way to recover their lost files...
    No harder than scanning for data on any unencrypted memory. A number of labs can do it quite easily.

The difference with encrypted memory, is that only a select few (if any) state-level organisations can do it.
    07-02-19 03:07 PM
    No harder than scanning for data on any unencrypted memory. A number of labs can do it quite easily.

The difference with encrypted memory, is that only a select few (if any) state-level organisations can do it.
    Labs.... too me that isn't just someone.

I'm just saying that very few of us would actually need to worry about a security wipe... if our phone isn't encrypted to begin with.
    07-02-19 03:16 PM
    so, I can not use my bb10 phone after this year, when I linked my device with a BBID ? right? I don't wanna wipe every device that I had. -.-
    07-02-19 03:34 PM
    so, I can not use my bb10 phone after this year, when I linked my device with a BBID ? right? I don't wanna wipe every device that I had. -.-
    We don't know for sure what will happen.

I'd have a plan in place and just wait and see if more info comes.
    Kommandant likes this.
    07-02-19 03:37 PM
    We don't know for sure what will happen.

I'd have a plan in place and just wait and see if more info comes.
    Yes. I understand. I don't wanna see my bb10 device die
    Dr Doc likes this.
    07-02-19 03:48 PM
176 ... 45678