In 2019 viable yes, practical no, unless you're only in need of e-mail, texting and calls. Many apps still function but download what's left while you still can from BBW as it goes EOL at end of this year. Good luck and enjoy.
    And light browsing.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-19 11:55 AM
    And light browsing.

Posted via CB10
    I suppose. I don't put that anymore since I personally can't say either way and everyone disagrees on that statement. In 2019, I'm playing safe and polite with BB10 comments.
    05-31-19 12:01 PM
    Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I propose a question that I believe has been hotly debated...whether the classic is still a viable device in 2019.

I for one, don't really care for or about apps, my main concern is simplicity and ease of communication.
    I've been on blackberry since the early 90s and really miss their focus on communication, not snapchat, facebook and the like.
    The BB is a business device and that's what I use it for

I'm going to ride this classic train until the wheels fall off all the while hoping for a q20 ish device to appear with the PKB( no, not the key)

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Speaking strictly for myself, it's a resounding NO.
    Banking apps are one of the most outstanding reasons - BB10 is pretty much unable to even operate a bank web site these days and it's only going to get worse.

As for "while hoping for a q20 ish device to appear", are you asking about a BB10 device, or an Android based device?
    05-31-19 01:45 PM
    I am using a Blackberry Classic. I love this little thing. That being said I'm going to try a Key2. I have a Priv but the battery life sucks and it can be super slow.

Posted via CB10
    I went Classic -> PRIV -> Key2. I wound up with a 6G main memory Key2.
    It FLIES.

Even though I am a fan of the slider setup I adapted to the Key2 very quickly and am super pleased with it.
    I'm not a heavy user - mostly work email and periodic FB checking (using Lite) and I regularly get 2 full days out of it.
    05-31-19 01:56 PM
    I moved to the Classic specifically to avoid Android and the all seeing eye of Google. I'll use it as long as it works as a phone and texting device (having just fitted a new battery to it)
    06-02-19 06:21 AM
    I've just got a Q20 as I'm sick and tired of my Samsung S9's oversensitive screen, Bixby button and the need to swipe, sometimes missing calls!!

I've long been a fan of BB and have a drawer full of them. I know the browser is slow, but this is a business phone for me. Answer calls, reply to emails, set appointments etc. I love the size and of course the keyboard, and just getting back into typing on it. So if you feel you need all the whizz bang apps, get a small cheap smartphone to do all the Q20 struggles with, and use the Q20 as a phone... Simples.
    excollier likes this.
    06-02-19 10:24 AM
    I've just got a Q20 as I'm sick and tired of my Samsung S9's oversensitive screen, Bixby button and the need to swipe, sometimes missing calls!!

I've long been a fan of BB and have a drawer full of them. I know the browser is slow, but this is a business phone for me. Answer calls, reply to emails, set appointments etc. I love the size and of course the keyboard, and just getting back into typing on it. So if you feel you need all the whizz bang apps, get a small cheap smartphone to do all the Q20 struggles with, and use the Q20 as a phone... Simples.
    I'd agree up to point that other consumers and clients determine many of the requirements of interfacing with each other. It's no different than people that only have landlines and can't receive texts or get e-mail on desktop or laptop only.
    06-02-19 06:31 PM
    People keep mentioning end of 2019.

I just wanted to share that a few months ago, I removed BBID and the phone works great ever since.

Of course I can't download and use any BB10 apps, but that part is fine with me.

Anyhow, just to say that the phone works great without BBID, so I expect it to stay this way for a few more years to come.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    06-14-19 09:54 AM

I just wanted to share that a few months ago, I removed BBID and the phone works great ever since.

Of course I can't download and use any BB10 apps, but that part is fine with me.

Anyhow, just to say that the phone works great without BBID, so I expect it to stay this way for a few more years to come.
    Preach on brother WES! Not that we should have to go without BBIDs if we don't want to, but if for some reason the BBIDpocalypse materializes it STILL won't affect your ability to use BB10 (or sideload any native apps that are available as .bars, I believe).
    WES51 likes this.
    06-14-19 02:51 PM

I guess it's not that bad since we don't need to use Whats Fixer to send/receive media on WhatsApp Android anymore
    06-14-19 02:56 PM
    I use whatsap with no problem

Posted via CB10
    06-15-19 11:54 AM
    I want change Battery and keyboard on my Classic to give it à new life is it easy?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-19 11:56 AM
    I want change Battery and keyboard on my Classic to give it à new life is it easy?

Posted via CB10
    The cost of the new battery and keyboard is probably gonna be close to the same as just buying another Classic lol
    06-15-19 08:48 PM
    Loving my classic everyday

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    06-16-19 06:31 PM
    You are 100% correct. What's to debate? For you it works. Kudos! Use it for as long as it's viable for you. Who is anyone to debate your preference, based on experience?
    Totally agree. Nothing to debate as long as classic can be used for voice calls and e mails.
    06-27-19 11:23 PM
    Preach on brother WES! Not that we should have to go without BBIDs if we don't want to, but if for some reason the BBIDpocalypse materializes it STILL won't affect your ability to use BB10 (or sideload any native apps that are available as .bars, I believe).
    I believe that BB10 device will be functional as well.... not as designed, but in some key ways... phone, text and emails. If your carrier supports it - seems Verizon in the US isn't anymore, they don't consider BB10 being VoIP compliant for their network.

But I suspect about 90% of current BB10 users will opt out, once the have to give up their apps or dealing with life without key features like LINK, BLEND or key native apps that probably aren't going to be release in BAR files. Or on core features like BBM, Maps or Assistant.

My view is if you have BB10 and like BB10... use it and see what happens and if BB10 will meet your needs as a primary, or maybe just a secondary device. But with BlackBerry's finical issues and operating cost being a big issue... I can see where legacy support would be cut. But I could be wrong - as BlackBerry just isn't communicating on what they are doing - I don't doubt they haven't made a firm decision yet.
    06-28-19 09:15 AM
    I believe that BB10 device will be functional as well.... not as designed, but in some key ways... phone, text and emails. If your carrier supports it - seems Verizon in the US isn't anymore, they don't consider BB10 being VoIP compliant for their network.

But I suspect about 90% of current BB10 users will opt out, once the have to give up their apps or dealing with life without key features like LINK, BLEND or key native apps that probably aren't going to be release in BAR files. Or on core features like BBM, Maps or Assistant.

My view is if you have BB10 and like BB10... use it and see what happens and if BB10 will meet your needs as a primary, or maybe just a secondary device. But with BlackBerry's finical issues and operating cost being a big issue... I can see where legacy support would be cut. But I could be wrong - as BlackBerry just isn't communicating on what they are doing - I don't doubt they haven't made a firm decision yet.
    You are assuming (perhaps based on the predictions of others on here) that the services you mention will somehow stop. There is, again, absolutely no evidence that anything other than Blackberry World will shut down. All other apps are available and still humming along to this day.

Given that Blackberry went ahead and launched BBMe for consumers--something they did not have to do when Emtek bailed--and given their general track record in keeping BB10 and BBOS services up and running while dropping/modifying/otherwise adjusting Android items left and right, I suspect that whatever operating costs are associated with those services are either not an issue or have been deemed negligible enough to not be worth whatever minimal savings would be associated with their shutdown.

As for Verizon, Verizon (like many carriers) claims certain items will not work officially that actually end up working with no issue. BB10 phones support the bands Verizon uses. There is also some indication, based on my sources within Verizon, that despite their public assertions their existing network will continue to function as it always has into 2020.
    06-28-19 02:13 PM
    I would, in any case, turn off BlackBerry Protect a few days before the end of the year. That way, if the BBID validation services aren't available, you can still reset/restore the phone.

Waiting until the BBID validation servers have been turned off could lead to a bricked device if you have to restore it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-28-19 06:00 PM
    I would, in any case, turn off BlackBerry Protect a few days before the end of the year. That way, if the BBID validation services aren't available, you can still reset/restore the phone.

Waiting until the BBID validation servers have been turned off could lead to a bricked device if you have to restore it.

That is certainly one option people can pursue. However, again, there's no evidence to suggest that BBID or Blackberry Protect will not be available, as Blackberry World is the only item shutting down.

However, in any case, it has been proven that you can reset phones with Blackberry Protect turned on and without using a Blackberry ID, thus making it irrelevant whether Protect is on or off.
    06-28-19 06:03 PM
    However, in any case, it has been proven that you can reset phones with Blackberry Protect turned on and without using a Blackberry ID, thus making it irrelevant whether Protect is on or off.
    If you factory reset the phone with BlackBerry Protect turned on, you need to validate it with your BBID. That's the whole point of BlackBerry Protect. It's a legally required anti-theft feature.

If you are not using a BBID, you can't use BlackBerry Protect in any case.
    06-28-19 06:46 PM
    If you factory reset the phone with BlackBerry Protect turned on, you need to validate it with your BBID. That's the whole point of BlackBerry Protect. It's a legally required anti-theft feature.

If you are not using a BBID, you can't use BlackBerry Protect in any case.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...24/index4.html

Post #77 .
    06-28-19 10:58 PM
    I've never been able to turn off BlackBerry Protect without authenticating against the BlackBerry server.
    06-29-19 05:02 AM
    There are two different issues here.

1) Is it possible for a logged in user to turn off BlackBerry Protect on a properly functioning device without validation from the BlackBerry ID servers. I believe the answer to that is yes. I just tried on my Z10 with all wireless radios turned off, using my BlackBerry ID credentials. The slider responded by turning off, but I'd have to tes further to see if that would actually allow a reset without access to the BBID servers during setup. But it certainly seems that a properly functioning device can validate my BBID credentials without access to the servers.

But that assumes the device is working properly, and that the user can log in and change the BlackBerry Protect settings. If that's the case, there is probably no need to reset the device!

2) If BlackBerry Protect is turned on, and the OS becomes corrupted so that the phone won't boot (a common enough reason to reset it) or the user cannot change the settings, then it would not be possible to turn off BlackBerry Protect. So it would not be possible to re-establish the BBID on the restored device, and BlackBerry Protect would not allow completion of the setup, which requires an Internet connection and validation of the BBID for that device.

Am I missing something?
    06-29-19 11:50 AM
    There are two different issues here.
    2) If BlackBerry Protect is turned on, and the OS becomes corrupted so that the phone won't boot (a common enough reason to reset it) or the user cannot change the settings, then it would not be possible to turn off BlackBerry Protect. So it would not be possible to re-establish the BBID on the restored device, and BlackBerry Protect would not allow completion of the setup, which requires an Internet connection and validation of the BBID for that device.

Am I missing something?
    There has been talk of being able to actually bypass BB Protect, where @Dunt Dunt Dunt (I think) claimed to have tested it and confirmed it to work. I think it was done by flashing an old autoloader of 10.1 or something but can't say for sure as I haven't tried yet.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-19 08:11 PM
    There has been talk of being able to actually bypass BB Protect, where @Dunt Dunt Dunt (I think) claimed to have tested it and confirmed it to work. I think it was done by flashing an old autoloader of 10.1 or something but can't say for sure as I haven't tried yet.

Posted via CB10
    I haven't seen a documented procedure that doesn't require at least validating through the device log on.

I can confirm, however, that it's possible to turn off BlackBerry Protect on a working device without Internet connectivity if you're properly logged on, then the BlackBerry Protect service will sync with local settings and turn off once you reconnect to the Internet. I did this yesterday, though I didn't take it a step further and rest ore the phone without first syncing. It's possible that that would fail.

I would still be very nervous running BlackBerry Protect if the BBID servers weren't available. I have no confidence it would really be possible to restore the device in that scenario.

06-30-19 09:07 AM
176 ... 34567 ...