I am using a Blackberry Classic. I love this little thing. That being said I'm going to try a Key2. I have a Priv but the battery life sucks and it can be super slow.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    04-12-19 06:51 PM
    I'm still using my classic as a daily driver, it does basically what I need but the phone is having issues that autoloaders, restarts, etc can't fix. The battery is also making it less viable to be using all day.

I'm not sure what I could replace the phone with when the time comes considering I don't have a backup (the classic does completely stop working/ shuts down).
    04-15-19 10:39 AM
    I'm still using my classic as a daily driver, it does basically what I need but the phone is having issues that autoloaders, restarts, etc can't fix. The battery is also making it less viable to be using all day.

I'm not sure what I could replace the phone with when the time comes considering I don't have a backup (the classic does completely stop working/ shuts down).
    Depending on budget and if you desire the PKB, any of the KEY line are good compromise
    the_boon likes this.
    04-15-19 11:47 AM
    I just got a new Classic and I plan to use it as my 2nd phone for 2019. (This is my 2nd Classic).

All the basic phone, messaging and emails all work well for me. So I think the Classic will stand the test of time even as BB pulls the plug on its Support.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    04-21-19 01:52 AM
    The Classic is absolutely still viable in 2019. Unless, like others mentioned, you are reliant on apps and media with your phone.

I unplugged my Classic at 6 am yesterday morning and with some pretty heavy and persistent use, including a couple phone calls, etc., I just barely crossed the 10% threshold 32.5 hours later. Not quite as good as my iPhone 7 that would go two and a half days on a charge but still pretty solid for a 5 year old phone - and way more fun to use.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-19 01:59 PM
    The Classic is absolutely still viable in 2019. Unless, like others mentioned, you are reliant on apps and media with your phone.

I unplugged my Classic at 6 am yesterday morning and with some pretty heavy and persistent use, including a couple phone calls, etc., I just barely crossed the 10% threshold 32.5 hours later. Not quite as good as my iPhone 7 that would go two and a half days on a charge but still pretty solid for a 5 year old phone - and way more fun to use.

Posted via CB10
    iPhone 7 ? Two and a half day battery life ? What iPhone did you use xD my iPhone 7 with a new original battery stays only from 8 am to 7 pm. Then it’s nearly the 10%.
    My classic battery stays 2 days online.
    04-27-19 04:23 AM
    iPhone 7 ? Two and a half day battery life ? What iPhone did you use xD my iPhone 7 with a new original battery stays only from 8 am to 7 pm. Then it’s nearly the 10%.
    My classic battery stays 2 days online.
    Really? I should add that my iPhone 7 was a refurb directly from Apple and only a few months old. Plus the only apps I had on it were from my bank, Venmo, and Evernote. No email. Then I would just leave it in my bag at work all day and have it forward all messages to my computer. This wasn't a battery optimizing strategy, I would just rather type on the buckling springs of my Unicomp Model M wannabe than on glass. It's just kind of how I used the phone. Any media consumption would be on my iPod Mini.

I use my Classic way more and actually have it tethered to other devices quite often.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-19 08:14 AM
    ... or a fast reliable GPS

... or a serviceable camera

... or a battery that can actually last a day when doing anything more intensive than CB forums
    04-28-19 02:42 PM
    ... or a fast reliable GPS

... or a serviceable camera

... or a battery that can actually last a day when doing anything more intensive than CB forums
    What's wrong with its GPS?

Posted via CB10
    05-01-19 05:31 AM
    What's wrong with its GPS?

Posted via CB10
    Do you think the antiquated S4 processor in the Classic can handle Google Maps or Waze reliably lol?
    05-01-19 09:24 AM
    Do you think the antiquated S4 processor in the Classic can handle Google Maps or Waze reliably lol?
    As long as you carry three external power sources, are walking to your destination and it's not farther than end of your street capped at 1/2 mile.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-01-19 09:27 AM
    Granted, but you said GPS, not the antiquated processor. I took GPS to mean the actual GPS chip in the phone and how dependable that is with locking into a signal. How could I have possibly gleaned that you were referring to something else? Let's not conflate terms and concepts.

In any case, sure, BB10 phones can handle some GPS sat nav applications, including (older versions of) Google Maps. Android apps, of course, will lead to further battery drain on the device, but that's nothing new. Magic Earth, an offline navigation app, has been cited as working well on BB10 too.
    05-01-19 09:38 AM
    Granted, but you said GPS, not the antiquated processor. I took GPS to mean the actual GPS chip in the phone and how dependable that is with locking into a signal. How could I have possibly gleaned that you were referring to something else? Let's not conflate terms and concepts.

In any case, sure, BB10 phones can handle some GPS sat nav applications, including (older versions of) Google Maps. Android apps, of course, will lead to further battery drain on the device, but that's nothing new. Magic Earth, an offline navigation app, has been cited as working well on BB10 too.
    I once tried to use android Google maps on a Classic, and "dog slow" is an understatement
    05-01-19 11:47 AM
    Waze was working on Classic but you have to had luck to not crash at start. And it crashed most of the time on start or during search of location. If it did not, it worked good (but never used it for longer then 10-15 minutes tour).
    Genius maps works great on Classic btw, if it is possible it install it somehow because Mireo removed it from BB World already.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    05-01-19 03:21 PM
    I think most all developers today (apps or websites)... have an expatiation of what the minimum hardware requirements will be for THEIR customers. In the US, I doubt products from 2013 are included in that equation. Sadly today if you want to use BB10, a Passport's better hardware will make a big difference.

But I fully expect someone to ask... "BlackBerry Classic viable in 2020". For a few it might be, for some it never was... there really isn't one answer.
    05-02-19 09:42 AM
    Hello guys!
    I found whatsapp work perfect in 2019 on my BlackBerry classic.
    Now im back to BB, im very happy!
    The solution its simple, reset your device, after symple go to The OFFICIA0L web Page of whatsapp and download The Android apk version, install and... its work!!!!!
    ALL, photo, call, voice SMS, ect ect.
    03-03-2019

OS10 still alive!

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    05-02-19 06:24 PM
    I have a classic and a q10. I sync calendar and tasks to Outlook using companion link since link stopped syncing with the classic. Works fine for what I need it for, which is a second screen for productivity.
    05-18-19 03:35 PM
    I mean, if anyone here still wants a BB10 phone, I'm trying to get rid of my Z10, Z30, and my Passport.
    05-18-19 03:41 PM
    Hello guys!
    I found whatsapp work perfect in 2019 on my BlackBerry classic.
    Now im back to BB, im very happy!
    The solution its simple, reset your device, after symple go to The OFFICIA0L web Page of whatsapp and download The Android apk version, install and... its work!!!!!
    ALL, photo, call, voice SMS, ect ect.
    03-03-2019

OS10 still alive!

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    Does chat and media backup to Google Drive also work?
    05-18-19 10:56 PM
    It's very viable in 2019, lol! I got my Classic in July of 2018, and I have loved using it since then. I still have my old Galaxy S7 Edge at home for the things the Classic can't do, but when I'm on the go the keyboard and smaller size are great.

My bank's app works great, my school's apps work fine, and I'm able to text my classmates via Hangouts using the official Google Talk app. Of course, email and texting works perfectly. I get emails on my BlackBerry faster than any of my other devices.

My Classic even saved the day on a field trip, I was the only person with battery/GPS signal/offline maps. 2 school busses would've been lost in the middle of the woods!

Posted via CB10
    the_boon likes this.
    05-18-19 11:51 PM
    I'm on this same train of thought around the use of a classic. I simply love the classic and all I do on a phone is calls and text and minimal web browsing. The thing that has me on the fence is using Waze or similar GPS apps.
    05-24-19 10:31 AM
    I'm on this same train of thought around the use of a classic. I simply love the classic and all I do on a phone is calls and text and minimal web browsing. The thing that has me on the fence is using Waze or similar GPS apps.
    That's why I see the Classic as a middle hybrid device, it's not quite a full smartphone, but its not a feature phone either
    05-24-19 11:40 AM
    That is a great description. It is exactly what I need and exactly what is not readily available?
    05-24-19 01:58 PM
    i just bought on french Leboncoin a 50€ classic! Blackberry BB10 IS dead tout all people but to us it's great n'est smartphone lowcost
    05-31-19 11:16 AM
    In 2019 viable yes, practical no, unless you're only in need of e-mail, texting and calls. Many apps still function but download what's left while you still can from BBW as it goes EOL at end of this year. Good luck and enjoy.
    05-31-19 11:31 AM
176 ... 23456 ...