Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I propose a question that I believe has been hotly debated...whether the classic is still a viable device in 2019.

I for one, don't really care for or about apps, my main concern is simplicity and ease of communication.
    I've been on blackberry since the early 90s and really miss their focus on communication, not snapchat, facebook and the like.
    The BB is a business device and that's what I use it for

I'm going to ride this classic train until the wheels fall off all the while hoping for a q20 ish device to appear with the PKB( no, not the key)

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 and bb255 like this.
    02-05-19 09:30 PM

I propose a question that I believe has been hotly debated...whether the classic is still a viable device in 2019.

I for one, don't really care for or about apps, my main concern is simplicity and ease of communication.
    I've been on blackberry since the early 90s and really miss their focus on communication, not snapchat, facebook and the like.

I'm going to ride this classic train until the wheels fall off all the while hoping for a q20 ish device to appear with the PKB( no, not the key)

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    If you want a device with battery life that actually gets you through a day, don't buy a Classic.

If you want a device that will survive after 2019, don't buy a Classic.

If you ever find yourself needing an app, don't buy a Classic.

Do you want an up to date smartphone with a keyboard ? The answer is the KEY series.

Want to ride a train until the end of the tracks ? Grab a cheap BB10 device but don't expect much more than basic functions
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-05-19 11:23 PM
    I propose a question that I believe has been hotly debated
    Thoughts?
    You are 100% correct. What's to debate? For you it works. Kudos! Use it for as long as it's viable for you. Who is anyone to debate your preference, based on experience?
    02-05-19 11:48 PM

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Since you have not special needs for app, the Classic will be good enough for your communications ( email, phone calls and sms). The battery will bring you till the end of the day.
    Last edited by howarmat; 02-07-19 at 05:16 PM.
    02-06-19 12:43 AM
    If you don't need a modern native web browser or a lot of apps, then the Classic is still a great phone. BB10 is still a great OS, I love the BB10 Hub and Remember, and the Classic keyboard is a dream to type on. I added Supertube (native youtube viewer), and a few other native apps (I'm typing this using the CB10 app) but mostly I use it for email, phone, texting, & chatting (BBM and Telegram). Speakers and mic are excellent for phone use and music listening, camera is pretty good, certainly for my needs.

I'm well aware that BBW will be closing after this year, so if you DO need native apps, get them now while you still can. We don't know what else will shut down by the end of the year, but I suspect BBM will continue to degrade on it (thus, Telegram, which has versions that run easily on BB10's ART 4.3).

But for the next several months anyway, it sounds like a Classic would serve your needs nicely.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    02-06-19 08:34 AM
    The Classic was my main choice for most of 2018, and is still a backup device (along with the rest of my collection). If you don't need apps, and don't mind a slow browser, it works just fine. My battery is in good health and gets me through a day with no problem. If it sits on Battery Saver, it will get you late into the evening. The Class still has a lot going for it, despite what may or may not come at the end of the year. If you like it, use it - don't bother debating with anyone.
    02-07-19 11:15 AM
    I used my Classic 8 Month last year. Everything fine. I use only 4 APKs. The rest are native apps. All i need was the HUB and my E-Mails
    02-07-19 11:48 AM

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    The bottom line is that if you are aware of the limitations, and it still works for you, go for it.

Just be aware that BlackBerry World is closing on Dec 31st of this year, and no one will remain after that at BlackBerry to provide support or service.

We also don't know what (and for how long) other services will continue after the new year.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-07-19 03:06 PM
    As a trial, I'm running a Q5 with nothing but stock apps and no BBID configured. It works perfectly, and even connects to BlackBerry Link.

I can use email, calendar, contacts, tasks and (on MS Exchange) notes. I've also added Web shortcuts for Wikipedia and other well-behaved sites that I use for reference.

It's fast and responsive, really a joy to use, IMO.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    elfabio80 and beignetdust like this.
    02-07-19 07:35 PM

It's fast and responsive
    Lulz, fast?

Even the Classic which has a better processor is dog slow, I can't imagine how bad a Q5 must be
    02-07-19 10:45 PM
    I am seriously considering returning to my Classic from my DTEK 50 I got the DTEK cheap and if I liked it i would spend out on the Key two ! I really miss the old OS and I never used any apps

I run a transport company in the South West of England . The BB10 email system was perfect for the 3 business email accounts I run . The call quality on the Classic is perfect .
    I accessed my bank accounts on the Browsers so no need for an app
    My web based invoice system work perfectly I could type an invoice fast save it to docs and attach it in an email all really fast
    The Classic allowed me to communicate with my customers and drivers day and night from anywhere in the world .
    It is a perfect phone for business still.

The DTEK is a very very nice phone but it is not for me I miss BB10

The only problem I have at the moment with my old Classic When I swapped my Classic to Dtek I got a massive pin stuck right through the middle of it trying to get the SD card out and I dont know if it will contuie to work properly . £30 however buys me a new clasic !
    02-08-19 02:09 AM

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Since your asking opinion, I say yes! Run with the classic for as long as you can. I've been using my Q10 still, and used it as a daily driver for most of 2018 and it gave me minimal trouble, mostly the browser just became to slow and inefficient. I never used any apk's only native apps. Nemory made some good apps for social media and Uber wich I used so the the work around for certain apps isn't to bad. But since that isn't a big priority for you then the classic is just fine.
    02-08-19 03:43 AM
    Lulz, fast?

Even the Classic which has a better processor is dog slow, I can't imagine how bad a Q5 must be
    For the use case I described (Hub only, one account, no apps) it's very fast. If your Classic is "dog slow" you're probably running other apps. In that case, yes, 4-6 year-old hardware will be very slow.

elfabio80 likes this.
    02-08-19 04:40 AM
    For the use case I described (Hub only, one account, no apps) it's very fast. If your Classic is "dog slow" you're probably running other apps. In that case, yes, 4-6 year-old hardware will be very slow.

I also have a Classic and it is not slow at all. Sure, the browser is slow compared to safari in IOS or Via in Android.
    02-08-19 04:46 AM
    I also have a Classic and it is not slow at all. Sure, the browser is slow compared to safari in IOS or Via in Android.
    Yes, both the download speeds and the processor are much slower than newer phones, but the beauty of text-based work is that it uses almost no bandwidth!, so that our old BB10 phones are just As fast now as their were when they were new for those core tasks, whereas people using most apps see horrible performance degradation within a few years as the apps and websites get more and more bloated with scripts, video, audio and high res photos.

elfabio80 likes this.
    02-08-19 07:29 AM
    Yea, calendar software is still good, might have to make your own work flow with that. The browser is slow with heavy sites and modern frameworks but its still good for power use. I use off line and cached web pages for stuff like radio, notes, and bookmarks.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-19 03:57 PM
    Yes, both the download speeds and the processor are much slower than newer phones, but the beauty of text-based work is that it uses almost no bandwidth!, so that our old BB10 phones are just As fast now as their were when they were new for those core tasks, whereas people using most apps see horrible performance degradation within a few years as the apps and websites get more and more bloated with scripts, video, audio and high res photos.

If the site has good separate hosting for images and video they should be fine to display. For some reason web programming keeps sugar coating the syntax and requiring more powerful processors instead of stressing efficient algorithms. So old BB10's processor imo can still perform but not with new code.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-19 04:03 PM
    Lulz, fast?

My daily driver was a Q5, and it was fine until the storage filled up...which didn’t take long with only 8GB. At that point it became unstable. That said, if doing nothing more than email and messaging it would still be fine, but so would just about anything. The gps never did turn by turn properly on either device I owned though.

So I would imagine a Classic would be just fine too if you are just doing the most basic functions. That’s a stretch for me now though...I do like at least a couple modern apps and a decent camera.
    02-08-19 05:34 PM
    If the site has good separate hosting for images and video they should be fine to display. For some reason web programming keeps sugar coating the syntax and requiring more powerful processors instead of stressing efficient algorithms. So old BB10's processor imo can still perform but not with new code.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. There are so many horribly coded sites out there. My attitude is to simply bypass them. If they wanted my attention, they would work in a standard HTML5 compliant browser.

02-08-19 06:54 PM
    Agreed. There are so many horribly coded sites out there. My attitude is to simply bypass them. If they wanted my attention, they would work in a standard HTML5 compliant browser.

Except the BlackBerry browser gets a HTML5 compatibility score of 395 out of 555, as opposed to Chrome on Android that scores 532 out of 555.

Even Kiwi on BB10 gets a 525.

The BB10 browser is also stuck on the broken TLS 1.2 protocol when the other browsers are using 1.3.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-09-19 12:30 AM
    Except the BlackBerry browser gets a HTML5 compatibility score of 395 out of 555, as opposed to Chrome on Android that scores 532 out of 555.

Even Kiwi on BB10 gets a 525.

The BB10 browser is also stuck on the broken TLS 1.2 protocol when the other browsers are using 1.3.
    I agree there are much better browsers, even on BB10. I never meant to claim the BlackBerry Browser was current or adequate, just that it is adequate for me on BB10. I'm not a fan of the mobile Web, and will switch to a tablet or laptop for a desktop version whenever possible, or use my KEYone if it's easier. But I still use the BB10 browser extensively for text-dominant Web sites because I haven't found a better reader mode, with built-in Text-to-Speech.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 02-09-19 at 12:02 PM.
    02-09-19 10:51 AM
    I can't see how anyone can use the classic as a daily driver in 2019, I had 3 of them and I love the form factor but it was sluggish compared to my Z10, get you a used keyone if you are able. I got mine 2 weeks ago and my only regret is listening to the negative reviews and waiting this long
    bh7171 likes this.
    02-09-19 03:10 PM
    I can't see how anyone can use the classic as a daily driver in 2019, I had 3 of them and I love the form factor but it was sluggish compared to my Z10, get you a used keyone if you are able. I got mine 2 weeks ago and my only regret is listening to the negative reviews and waiting this long

I think the daily driver in 2019 is somewhat very limited.

I use a Passport SE, which had really nice specs for 2014 as my daily driver. In 2019. BlackBerry 10 is very very limited.

The Classic I have is an emergency, travel phone and a wifi device for the gym when I want to stream music while working out, the Passport is a little too bulky for that.

Classic is an excellent phone for calls, texts, emails and BBM. The specs and the browser make it very sluggish for a lot of other tasks but for someone who wants to do the above and manage a calendar or something, it's great. The battery life isn't anything to write home about anymore but that's what you get with 4-5 year hardware.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-19 08:33 PM
    it's quite peppy for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lulz, fast?

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    02-09-19 09:25 PM
    I liked the classic back when I had it. I recently got the LE and that's what the keyboard and phone reminded me of my classic days. I don't use many apps but the ones I do use bb10 didnt offer them. When you ready to leave bb10 the Key2 Le is a good choice
    02-09-19 09:56 PM
176 123 ...