Tomorrow is the day AT&T makes the Classic available. Wonder how long it will be before Verizon puts something about Classic availability on their website?
    02-19-15 06:36 AM
    On the one hand, I'm very skeptical of the date only because none of the other dates have been correct so far! On the other hand, between the pic that CB posted and the OP's information I'm guessing that VZW employees were provided with this update today via a VZW system. So it's clearly a good sign that the CB screenshot and OP info match.

All I can say is that I'm running on fumes over here. I'm using a Motorola Q9c (windows mobile non-touchscreen) with a cracked screen (it just cracked 1-2 months ago), an extended battery on its last legs, and an OS that was literally written in 2002!! But I just can't get rid of my keyboard and I can't wait for the Classic keyboard! Anyone who has used the Q9, Q9c, Q9m, or Q9h can relate to why I am addicted to my keyboard and a keyboard phone in general.

Anyhow, I certainly hope this date is the real deal, as I can't hold out for very much longer! Here's to this being true!!!
    Omg yes! That was one of my favorite phones!

Not a fan of that particular OS but man that form factor, weight, and size were all pluses in my book!

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 07:59 AM
    Omg yes! That was one of my favorite phones!

Not a fan of that particular OS but man that form factor, weight, and size were all pluses in my book!

Posted via CB10
    I figured that there are at least some BB users who know this phone, as the keyboard is truly amazing. Yes - the OS is definitely dated but it's amazingly reliable with ActiveSync and an Exchange Server. The final version of the OS is very stable and very reliable. I'm still using the Q9c while waiting for the Verizon Classic next week. I actually bought 3 Q9c as backups (they were literally $20 each brand new in the box!) in case my current Q9c dies or I drop it and crack the screen. I almost switched to the Q10 last year but the earlier versions of BB10 had issues syncing e-mail flags via ActiveSync (it was a bug) and I couldn't do without that.

Anyhow, I'm guessing my jump from a 2008 phone to the BB Classic will be nice in many ways. But I'm actually bracing for a less efficient experience in some ways, as my clickpad and non-touchscreen software is amazingly optimized for one-handed and very quick use vs the BB10 hybrid (touchscreen and non-touchscreen). If I could keep my Q9c forever I probably would but eventually the batteries will just stop working! I'm sure some of you feel the same way about your older BBs. When it comes to calls, e-mails, and texts (that's 99% of my usage), the Q9c is just fantastic, along with great battery life due to the small screen + no touchscreen.

Needless to say I am going to pre-order the Verizon Classic so that I will have it the first day it's out. If the Verizon Classic has any odd bugs that cause me not to be able to use it (ie. e-mail flagging, etc) then I'll probably use my Q9c until the last battery dies and then I'll have to concede to a touchscreen phone (that though makes me cringe).
    02-19-15 01:17 PM
    Whoooa Q9c! Now that's a throwback!
    02-19-15 02:34 PM
    Tomorrow is the day AT&T makes the Classic available. Wonder how long it will be before Verizon puts something about Classic availability on their website?
    Just got this response through Verizon's online chat.
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Classic on Verizon Wireless: Release Date-1424378514427.jpg   Blackberry Classic on Verizon Wireless: Release Date-1424378523511.jpg  
    anon(1733) likes this.
    02-19-15 02:42 PM
    Its almost game time. Come on Verizon I want a new shiny toy to un wrap and enjoy.
    02-19-15 05:48 PM
    I figured that there are at least some BB users who know this phone, as the keyboard is truly amazing. Yes - the OS is definitely dated but it's amazingly reliable with ActiveSync and an Exchange Server. The final version of the OS is very stable and very reliable. I'm still using the Q9c while waiting for the Verizon Classic next week. I actually bought 3 Q9c as backups (they were literally $20 each brand new in the box!) in case my current Q9c dies or I drop it and crack the screen. I almost switched to the Q10 last year but the earlier versions of BB10 had issues syncing e-mail flags via ActiveSync (it was a bug) and I couldn't do without that.

Anyhow, I'm guessing my jump from a 2008 phone to the BB Classic will be nice in many ways. But I'm actually bracing for a less efficient experience in some ways, as my clickpad and non-touchscreen software is amazingly optimized for one-handed and very quick use vs the BB10 hybrid (touchscreen and non-touchscreen). If I could keep my Q9c forever I probably would but eventually the batteries will just stop working! I'm sure some of you feel the same way about your older BBs. When it comes to calls, e-mails, and texts (that's 99% of my usage), the Q9c is just fantastic, along with great battery life due to the small screen + no touchscreen.

Needless to say I am going to pre-order the Verizon Classic so that I will have it the first day it's out. If the Verizon Classic has any odd bugs that cause me not to be able to use it (ie. e-mail flagging, etc) then I'll probably use my Q9c until the last battery dies and then I'll have to concede to a touchscreen phone (that though makes me cringe).
    Jesus christ. Just when I thought I saw it all on these forums. You are asking if a new phone is going to slow you down from a phone released 7 years ago? A phone on 3g (2g maybe?)? With windows mobile with a skin on top? (I owned a Motorola q and a q9m so I'm familiar with the device).

The classic will just slow you down dude. You won't have any idea how to do anything on a modern device. You should grab a treo or 2 while you still have time. The one with the pull out antenna.

Posted via CB10
    jfolland and phuoc like this.
    02-19-15 05:50 PM
    According to online chat..

On 2/26, the BlackBerry� Classic, a 4G LTE Global smartphone, will launch on the Web and through Direct Fulfillment. A non-camera version will also be available for order on 2/26 via the Web and Direct Fulfillment, and will ship by 3/31. The camera version will be available in Stores on 3/05.
    02-20-15 12:10 PM
    Wow, can't even get one in store for a week after release. Way to go VZW!
    02-20-15 12:20 PM
    Jesus christ. Just when I thought I saw it all on these forums. You are asking if a new phone is going to slow you down from a phone released 7 years ago? A phone on 3g (2g maybe?)? With windows mobile with a skin on top? (I owned a Motorola q and a q9m so I'm familiar with the device).

The classic will just slow you down dude. You won't have any idea how to do anything on a modern device. You should grab a treo or 2 while you still have time. The one with the pull out antenna.

Posted via CB10
    I think I'm using EVDO - I'm not even sure if that's 2G or 3G. I think I need to put everything perspective here. First of all, I receive about 200 e-mails a day, probably send about 50-75 e-mails a day, and I typically use my phone for 4-5 hours of calls PER DAY. I own a business and do pretty well. I'm actually completely up on my tech. I literally read Engadget every day and I own a 2013 BMW M3 Convertible that has modern iDrive. My wife has a GS5. I use a Roku, a Tivo, an XBOX 360, and I have been using cell phone since 1989 (yes - they were out back then in Canada - the US was a few years behind Canada at that time because Canada's networks were a testing ground before everything launched in the US). So I know tech and use modern tech every day.

What I think a lot of people lose sight of is whether the next device is better just because it's newer. I'm sure most people here agree that phones migrating to touchscreen keyboards was "newer" but a step backwards in many ways (and a step forwards in some ways), which is why I'm still clinging to my keyboard. I never went down the path of BB7 because of the requirement for using the BB e-mail server. I actually tried using an exchange server tied to a BB server (for a 9900) and the syncing was all off. So I switched back. I tried using the Q10 literally the first week that it came out and there was a bug with syncing e-mail flags with exchange server. So I switched back. I don't currently use a Q9c because I am set in my old ways. I use a Q9c because every modern keyboard device since it has had some major issue that prevented me from keeping it. But I'll be the first to tell you that I literally already purchased and received my Seidio Spring Clip Holster for the Classic, as I intend to own the Classic from Day 1 of its release because I hope that this is finally a useable modern phone for me.

In the meantime, considering that I have Google Maps on my phone (the only app I really need to use), my Q9c makes calls, texts, and e-mails as well as any other phone - except for the fact that the processor is clearly slow. Even the battery life (with the small extended battery) makes it through a full day for me with my 4-5 hours of calls and all of my e-mails, something that most modern phones can't do without a large extended battery. My point is that 7 years later my Q9c is a BETTER business tool for me than many phones out there right, particularly because of the keyboard and battery life. Anyhow, my point here is that newer isn't always better. Ask anyone who owns a 2008-2013 BMW M3 whether they think it's better than the previous 2001-2006 model and 9/10 will say no, as the newer model is less raw because it was made for the masses so BMW would sell more of them. Newer isn't always better.

All of that being said, I'm REALLY looking forward to the launch of the Verizon Classic next week because this time newer better be better or I'm screwed (my battery options are pretty much done)! And, like any other Classic owner, I really don't want to have to use a touchscreen keyboard, as I don't know anyone who types as accurately on a touchscreen keyboard vs a BB keyboard.
    jfolland likes this.
    02-20-15 12:38 PM
    I think I'm using EVDO - I'm not even sure if that's 2G or 3G. I think I need to put everything perspective here. First of all, I receive about 200 e-mails a day, probably send about 50-75 e-mails a day, and I typically use my phone for 4-5 hours of calls PER DAY. I own a business and do pretty well. I'm actually completely up on my tech. I literally read Engadget every day and I own a 2013 BMW M3 Convertible that has modern iDrive. My wife has a GS5. I use a Roku, a Tivo, an XBOX 360, and I have been using cell phone since 1989 (yes - they were out back then in Canada - the US was a few years behind Canada at that time because Canada's networks were a testing ground before everything launched in the US). So I know tech and use modern tech every day.

What I think a lot of people lose sight of is whether the next device is better just because it's newer. I'm sure most people here agree that phones migrating to touchscreen keyboards was "newer" but a step backwards in many ways (and a step forwards in some ways), which is why I'm still clinging to my keyboard. I never went down the path of BB7 because of the requirement for using the BB e-mail server. I actually tried using an exchange server tied to a BB server (for a 9900) and the syncing was all off. So I switched back. I tried using the Q10 literally the first week that it came out and there was a bug with syncing e-mail flags with exchange server. So I switched back. I don't currently use a Q9c because I am set in my old ways. I use a Q9c because every modern keyboard device since it has had some major issue that prevented me from keeping it. But I'll be the first to tell you that I literally already purchased and received my Seidio Spring Clip Holster for the Classic, as I intend to own the Classic from Day 1 of its release because I hope that this is finally a useable modern phone for me.

In the meantime, considering that I have Google Maps on my phone (the only app I really need to use), my Q9c makes calls, texts, and e-mails as well as any other phone - except for the fact that the processor is clearly slow. Even the battery life (with the small extended battery) makes it through a full day for me with my 4-5 hours of calls and all of my e-mails, something that most modern phones can't do without a large extended battery. My point is that 7 years later my Q9c is a BETTER business tool for me than many phones out there right, particularly because of the keyboard and battery life. Anyhow, my point here is that newer isn't always better. Ask anyone who owns a 2008-2013 BMW M3 whether they think it's better than the previous 2001-2006 model and 9/10 will say no, as the newer model is less raw because it was made for the masses so BMW would sell more of them. Newer isn't always better.

All of that being said, I'm REALLY looking forward to the launch of the Verizon Classic next week because this time newer better be better or I'm screwed (my battery options are pretty much done)! And, like any other Classic owner, I really don't want to have to use a touchscreen keyboard, as I don't know anyone who types as accurately on a touchscreen keyboard vs a BB keyboard.
    I don't know my friend. If you look at things in a silo you would have a point, but I just can't see how a phone so outdated could possibly be better than anything out there. I mean I'm a blackberry fan so I'm familiar with the idea that a phone doesn't need a touch screen go be effective. I get hundreds of emails a day also and I flag my emails often.

How do you share a web page? Do you have to highlight the url, copy/paste into a new email and send it, or is there a native share button in IE mobile? How would you take a screenshot and edit it? How many steps does that take? Do you need to go into file manager to even access those files?

I just don't think you know how much your phone slows you down. Not saying it's not "good enough" I'm saying it's just not good by today's standards.

Could you do us a favor and post a screenshot of what crackberry looks like in IE mobile?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 05:49 PM
    I don't know my friend. If you look at things in a silo you would have a point, but I just can't see how a phone so outdated could possibly be better than anything out there. I mean I'm a blackberry fan so I'm familiar with the idea that a phone doesn't need a touch screen go be effective. I get hundreds of emails a day also and I flag my emails often.

How do you share a web page? Do you have to highlight the url, copy/paste into a new email and send it, or is there a native share button in IE mobile? How would you take a screenshot and edit it? How many steps does that take? Do you need to go into file manager to even access those files?

I just don't think you know how much your phone slows you down. Not saying it's not "good enough" I'm saying it's just not good by today's standards.

Could you do us a favor and post a screenshot of what crackberry looks like in IE mobile?

Posted via CB10
    Well to be honest, my Pre3 had a higher rate of productivity and "speed" than I am operating on my Q10 regardless of LTE etc. Some UIs and flow work better than others- some people adopt and "get" a OS better than others. To me WebOS is 100% intuitive to how I work and think, BB10 I mesh with about 75% but droid and apple are like, I don't want to even use the darn thing!

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 06:16 PM
    Well to be honest, my Pre3 had a higher rate of productivity and "speed" than I am operating on my Q10 regardless of LTE etc. Some UIs and flow work better than others- some people adopt and "get" a OS better than others. To me WebOS is 100% intuitive to how I work and think, BB10 I mesh with about 75% but droid and apple are like, I don't want to even use the darn thing!

Posted via CB10
    I miss webos. And my pre 3. Although I would say I liked the pre 2 best. For some reason. My pre3 lagged waaaay too much. My pre 2 was smooth. Still though, a pre3 with an updated webos (a lot of what bb10 has) would be amazing. Imagine a hub in a card?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 06:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Look, you clearly make some valid points in terms of productivity with new/faster/more capable phones. And, while my phone does have IE, I don't use it for any web surfing, as it's just too slow (I actually use an RSS Reader to read the CB stories). But I would argue that 95% of my potential usage is calls, e-mails, and texts. I have been doing without the other 5% for years and I have been ok. Would I be even more productive with the other 5% - absolutely. But how much productivity might I lose across the other 95% by making the switch. With the Classic (keyboard + trackpad + touchscreen) it seems clear that the productivity loss across the other 95% will be minimal, especially when you net out the gains vs losses. But with some previous phones that equation just hasn't been as clear cut...

...which is why I am buying the Verizon Classic the first day it comes out!! Here's to hoping that we all love it!
    02-21-15 12:29 AM
    Look, you clearly make some valid points in terms of productivity with new/faster/more capable phones. And, while my phone does have IE, I don't use it for any web surfing, as it's just too slow (I actually use an RSS Reader to read the CB stories). But I would argue that 95% of my potential usage is calls, e-mails, and texts. I have been doing without the other 5% for years and I have been ok. Would I be even more productive with the other 5% - absolutely. But how much productivity might I lose across the other 95% by making the switch. With the Classic (keyboard + trackpad + touchscreen) it seems clear that the productivity loss across the other 95% will be minimal, especially when you net out the gains vs losses. But with some previous phones that equation just hasn't been as clear cut...

...which is why I am buying the Verizon Classic the first day it comes out!! Here's to hoping that we all love it!
    You will. I stopped by the ATT store today to try one for the first time. The thing is so nicely built and fluid. I'm verizon myself and can't wait until next week. I hope you will start using much more of the OS once you get your hands on it.

I would still love to see what crackberry looks like on IE. Just for a goof!

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 06:53 AM
    I miss webos. And my pre 3. Although I would say I liked the pre 2 best. For some reason. My pre3 lagged waaaay too much. My pre 2 was smooth. Still though, a pre3 with an updated webos (a lot of what bb10 has) would be amazing. Imagine a hub in a card?

Posted via CB10
    My 3 was faster than my 2, the fastest WebOS device I used was the veer- that little thing was insanely smooth with the smaller screen load- webos beening webkit always suffered from optimal video processing.m

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 07:40 AM
    Just stopped into att and played with the classic and passport. Waiting for next week for the vzw classic release... 2 minute assessment: Trackpad feels a little small but wow really nice to use that again, the screen looks sooooo much better than my Q10 - clean color without oled cast - thought the extra 1/2 inch would be a bigger difference than it seemed just looking quickly. The device seems really well weighted, solid and balanced.

att Passport was a wise move, curved corners and extra mm or two on the bottom feel better than the original square corner version but I doubt anyone would want to switch for the incremental benefit.

If att had released the PP at launch I probably would have dumped verizon but since they waited so long I think I am going to be happy with a classic on vzw - feels more ergonomic than the PP and I still love the Q, just wish verizon would have launched the passport too. It would have been nice to have a small/medium/large option on the same carrier.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 03:23 PM
    Just stopped into att and played with the classic and passport. Waiting for next week for the vzw classic release... 2 minute assessment: Trackpad feels a little small but wow really nice to use that again, the screen looks sooooo much better than my Q10 - clean color without oled cast - thought the extra 1/2 inch would be a bigger difference than it seemed just looking quickly. The device seems really well weighted, solid and balanced.

att Passport was a wise move, curved corners and extra mm or two on the bottom feel better than the original square corner version but I doubt anyone would want to switch for the incremental benefit.

If att had released the PP at launch I probably would have dumped verizon but since they waited so long I think I am going to be happy with a classic on vzw - feels more ergonomic than the PP and I still love the Q, just wish verizon would have launched the passport too. It would have been nice to have a small/medium/large option on the same carrier.

Posted via CB10
    Question. Did you feel the classic was much slower web browsing? I'm assuming my issue was the service but I couldn't tell. I went to an att store in NYC and saw both. Overall excited for vzw next week.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 04:45 PM
    Wow, can't even get one in store for a week after release. Way to go VZW!
    Wasn't that the case with the Bold 9930? It was an online exclusive for a week first.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 05:41 PM
    Went into a local AT&T store in Santa Monica today to take a look at the Classic. I have to say that I came away very impressed. I can see why people say the trackpad is small but it was still completely usable. Like everyone else has said, the device felt very solid, the keyboard was a breeze, and I really liked the way they integrated the commands on the bottom line right of the touchscreen close enough to the keyboard that you don't have to move your hand very much to use them. The phone can be used 1 handed but it's a stretch and it depends on how big your hands are.

As for the speed, I don't have a Q10 right now (I'm using a Motorola Q9c!) so I didn't seem slow to me. I think they did a great job integrated the trackpad - I was able to navigate around very easily with the trackpad on its own. The toolbelt felt great and the phone itself, while significantly larger than my Q9c, still felt like it was the right size for my hand. Overall I was really pleased and I walked away VERY excited to get it from Verizon next week.

The only negative I can think of in my very quick trial was the lack of removable battery. I'm hoping it isn't an issue for my heavy usage but I suppose the wireless charging might help to make up for the battery if it falls short.

Anyhow, I'm very excited for the phone. Can't wait for Thurs when VZW releases it!!!
    02-21-15 09:52 PM
    Question. Did you feel the classic was much slower web browsing? I'm assuming my issue was the service but I couldn't tell. I went to an att store in NYC and saw both. Overall excited for vzw next week.

Posted via CB10
    Classic seemed just a speedy as my Q10 which i have no real problem with, not as fast as my passport, it would feel better to have a PP level processor in a device i am going to buy this week but other than Google Maps and Uber i rarely notice the Q "feel" slow, all native apps feel plenty fast on the Q/Classic processor, the Android runtime is a little slow but hopefully that can be incrementally improved over time. While it is true Passport blazes through most all tasks other than a few issues. I think the gps calls are part of the android lag-time, seems like when i notice any stutters on Q, or Passport for that matter, it's linked to location services.
    02-22-15 09:14 AM
    I want one
    03-03-15 07:53 PM
    I ordered 2 from Verizon today and was told they ship 3/31.

You can bet Chen will hit his device numbers before the next investor meeting. Why?

Carrier subsidy so Government and non profits that upgrade pay zero dollars for 1 year commitment. Awesome!

These units will fly out of inventory. Now there is no reason to hang on to a BBOS device.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 08:13 PM
    I ordered 2 from Verizon today and was told they ship 3/31.

You can bet Chen will hit his device numbers before the next investor meeting. Why?

Carrier subsidy so Government and non profits that upgrade pay zero dollars for 1 year commitment. Awesome!

These units will fly out of inventory. Now there is no reason to hang on to a BBOS device.

Posted via CB10
    I'm assuming you ordered the non-camera version?

Posted on my Big Red Classic!
    03-03-15 08:20 PM
    Received my vzw classic today as they promised. Seems pretty solid. Still setting things up a few snap issues with the current os. I am having some issues with certain apks but all of the bbry stuff seems fine. The radio file seems a little buggy but i am syncing thousands of mails and other data with exchange and i am yet to see the system stabilize.

Faster processor would have been a plus but my Q10 runs great so i imagine this will once it settles down.

My only real issue with the device is the material for the back...kind of cheap and a little less grippy than the Q but a little more grippy than the passport. It has a great keyboard but they should have used the Q's larger type size on the keys for the keyboard. The screen is stellar MUCH nicer than the Q10's to my eyes, more natural color, no green cast, excellent brightness.

To all you tool-belt naysayers, i love having it back...not sure it's necessary but having the trackpad and the quick keys are a major enhancement to how i can use the device. YMMV.
    03-03-15 09:05 PM
57 123