I have recently bought the new classic after being a blackberry user for years and having debated long and hard about whether to switch to Iphone.....I stuck with BB because it is seemed a a better business phone but some pretty basic features are missing from its armoury.

I have to say that I am disappointed with it so far.

It seems to have omitted some pretty fundamental functions such as not being able to print emails or document direct to a printer through wifi....and yes there are some apps to help with this but if you look as some of the reviews ...they ain't great but I would question why you have to have an app ...it should be standard my partner just got the iphone ...straight out the box found the printer and printed our airline tickets.

The BB maps (another business fundamental in my view) are just plain rubbish compared with google maps ....don't seem to have the ability to input a walking route, and have taken my the wrong route a couple of times ....sorry just not good enough.

Transport links such as city hopper not available unless you go through google play which you cant access unless you go via the work around route with snap ....which for a non techy person is not easy and I am concerned that you may compromise your security which is a BB strength.

Just to be clear, I loved my old blackberry and so wanted to like this one but for me the only thing it has going for it right now over the iphone is its keyboard which I love. i am not an apps person but some of these are fundemenals for doing business
    08-29-15 12:41 PM
    Munching popcorn...
    08-29-15 07:58 PM
    +1 classic user here

I second on all your points
    And in addition I have the following complains to make.

1 . They destroyed the whole contacts and grouping thing where we could set different notifications for different groups. Now it's like one by one.. you got 2000 contacts? Go do it 2000 times for every contact.

2. The keyboard you love right now, just wait until it gets a disease of double typing. Like every single among has had. Double spacing and double typing issue is bothering almost everyone.

3. The 2500 mah battery looks like a 500 mah to me.
    Like it drains. God knows what 2500 mah is there if it's for real.

I m already inclining towards apple.. the double typing issue bothers me the most it's unbearable.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 10:01 PM
    The Hp eprint android app works well on blackberry

Posted via CB10
    bb_brianh likes this.
    08-29-15 11:38 PM
    How in the hell did you ever function before 'smartphones' and the 'apps' that go with them? Hahahaha

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 12:47 AM
    How in the hell did you ever function before 'smartphones' and the 'apps' that go with them? Hahahaha

Posted via CB10
    A pretty stupid comment on your part. When people spend money for a Blackberry, it should perform on par with the other handsets in its class.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe and solsearchin1 like this.
    08-30-15 02:32 AM
    +1 classic user here

I second on all your points
    And in addition I have the following complains to make.

1 . They destroyed the whole contacts and grouping thing where we could set different notifications for different groups. Now it's like one by one.. you got 2000 contacts? Go do it 2000 times for every contact.

2. The keyboard you love right now, just wait until it gets a disease of double typing. Like every single among has had. Double spacing and double typing issue is bothering almost everyone.

3. The 2500 mah battery looks like a 500 mah to me.
    Like it drains. God knows what 2500 mah is there if it's for real.

I m already inclining towards apple.. the double typing issue bothers me the most it's unbearable.

Posted via CB10
    No double typing for me.
    I send 100s of texts and emails every day. And type out a ton of text documents. And have not had any double typing problem...

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 12:43 PM
    No double typing for me.
    I send 100s of texts and emails every day. And type out a ton of text documents. And have not had any double typing problem...

Posted via CB10
    Just take a look around on the forum, u will find many users complaining for the same issue, for me I have this device for 4 months now, and the issue has appeared after 3 months of use,

How long have u had this device, if it's just brought recently wait for it to happen, if it's more than 3 -4 months old, go play lottery, u r among the luckiest people in the world at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 01:47 PM
    Just take a look around on the forum, u will find many users complaining for the same issue, for me I have this device for 4 months now, and the issue has appeared after 3 months of use,

How long have u had this device, if it's just brought recently wait for it to happen, if it's more than 3 -4 months old, go play lottery, u r among the luckiest people in the world at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Only had it for about a 2 monthes.

I did however buy the protection plan for it. So when that does happen I will be getting it fixed.
    I hope lol

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 02:25 PM
    The DT problem was specifically addressed with the. 2639 release. Take a look at the Leak/Beta section in the Forum.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 11:16 AM
    The DT problem was specifically addressed with the. 2639 release. Take a look at the Leak/Beta section in the Forum.

Posted via CB10
    That's good to know! Looks like BlackBerry is made aware of a lot of these issues too.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 11:21 AM
    OP, I agree with both of those points you made. BlackBerry maps aren't great, and there ought to be a native option for printing. I'm not in denial of that. However, I don't think there truly is a perfect platform. IOS has its flaws, Android has its flaws. BlackBerry has too. But be patient - BlackBerry is really improving fast and they listen to their users. I'm sure in a few months these issues will be fixed.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    Mr4aces and BerryRipe like this.
    09-07-15 12:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Months in with Classic, double typing everyday.

 Classic
    09-07-15 12:14 PM
    I print to my printer from anywhere using an email address with no apps works flawless!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-15 02:00 PM
    Months in with Classic, double typing everyday.

 Classic
    As was pointed out above in this thread - the DT is 100% fixed with the latest leak: 10.3.2.2639.

You will find multiple posts confirming this in the double typing thread in the Classic forum, as well as in the 10.3.2.2639 thread in the leaked OS forum.

This was one of the improvements noted by BlackBerry in the change log for the OS.

Z10 /3 - 10.3.2.2639/799 - AT&T (posted via CB10)
    09-07-15 02:19 PM
    Thank you for the info. I will admit, I really don't understand leaks. I also admit, at this point with devices and work, I am a little leary of OS updates without the device telling me there is an update.

I will read about leaks. Thank you.

 Classic
    09-07-15 05:06 PM
    Thank you for the info. I will admit, I really don't understand leaks. I also admit, at this point with devices and work, I am a little leary of OS updates without the device telling me there is an update.

 Classic
    No worries with leaked BBOS. The simplest way to load a leak is using an auto loader. However you have restore your device after using an auto loader. Blitz or Non-Distructive will not wipe your phone and is the fastest way to get your phone on the new OS
    09-07-15 06:17 PM

 Classic
    Understand your skepticism and concerns - the very label of "leak" implies potential problems.

In many cases, the leaked OS is in the process if being reviewed and tested by the carriers - which means that it is really production ready. By getting it as a leak, you avoid waiting weeks (or in the case of US carriers - months!) before it shows up as a carrier update.

And installing OS manually instead of getting it OTA from a carrier - is actually not difficult at all.

Do read up - might as well read through the 10.3.2.2639 thread in the leaked OS forum, since that is the one that fixed the DT problem.

09-07-15 06:20 PM
    No worries with leaked BBOS. The simplest way to load a leak is using an auto loader. However you have restore your device after using an auto loader. Blitz or Non-Distructive will not wipe your phone and is the fastest way to get your phone on the new OS
    Just pointing out - BBOS is from the old generation of BlackBerrys - the new/current generation of OS is BB10.

09-07-15 06:22 PM
    Just pointing out - BBOS is from the old generation of BlackBerrys - the new/current generation of OS is BB10.

BBOS - BlackBerry Operating Software

BBO7 - BlackBerry Operating Software last Legacy OS

BB10 - BlackBerry's QNX OS or can be the series of phones using the BB10 OS

When "I" used BBOS I was referring to the BlackBerry Operating Software in "general terms" not specific to any version. There was no mention on the older OS BB07 in my content.

Thanks for pointing this out.

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    09-07-15 07:28 PM
    For all I know, there are people who will disagree with me on this point, but I have ALWAYS had to customize the heck out of my BlackBerries - including the old legacy devices which I loved - to get them running 'just so'. And this is partly what I loved about all of them.

Of course it doesn't make it quite as user friendly for average Joe's mother in-law, but for anyone who is tech-savy enough to use a BlackBerry (chances are you already use a computer quite extensively compared to Joe's old lady's mom) and can do the most basic of trouble shooting. There isn't much that you cannot do with your BlackBerry if you look in the right places.

These forums are 99.9% of the time that place. I can print from all of my BB10 berries (not sure if I could on the legacy ones - especially out of the box). It's really unfortunate that so many people seem to experience the dreaded double-type but, as mentioned by someone earlier, this HAS now been addressed by BlackBerry and the latest OFFICIAL release has fixed it. The reason that you would have to resort to a leak is because the carriers are slow to release the updates. This is a good excuse to buy your device directly from BlackBerry as you will no longer be at the mercy of the carrier. Also, BlackBerry tech support is actually quite good if you can connect with the right people. If you buy your phone from a carrier, you again are at their mercy when it comes to tech support.

My 2 cents. The Classic is as much of a business phone as you want it to be and really, there isn't much that it can't do so if you are frustrated that it can't do something, put a bit of work into it and you'll probably be able to find a work-around. Before people jump and say that you shouldn't have to use 'work-arounds,' consider the positive side that there is likely one that works, rather than the alternative that there is no possible way for you to do what you are hoping to.
    09-07-15 08:24 PM
    @thebirddog

Well said

09-07-15 08:37 PM
    BBOS - BlackBerry Operating Software

BBO7 - BlackBerry Operating Software last Legacy OS

BB10 - BlackBerry's QNX OS or can be the series of phones using the BB10 OS

When "I" used BBOS I was referring to the BlackBerry Operating Software in "general terms" not specific to any version. There was no mention on the older OS BB07 in my content.

Thanks for pointing this out.

And I wasn't intending to bust your chops or one up you - just that newbies read these threads and I saw the potential for confusion.

So hopefully no ill wil felt - if so, I apologize and no ill will was intended.

09-07-15 09:41 PM
    @don_henry

No problem on my end

Lol

09-07-15 09:43 PM
    I loved my Classic...then got an iPhone 6 due to all the shortcomings you mentioned...and have never been happier. Blackberry's app-less situation will be its death blow...
    09-07-15 10:07 PM
37 12