What's going on everybody! I'm a new BB Classic owner and I'm having trouble actually connecting with calls. I am on a Verizon plan and I didn't get it officially set up, I just switched the sim card from my old galaxy s8 into the BB Classic. The weird part is that 4G LTE and texting are working perfectly. It's JUST phone calls, which is really a shame because it's perfect for my purposes other than that.

I tried the following:
    • Resetting the network; both in the mobile network options and in the "about" section.
    • Downloading apps like talkatone, freetext, google voice, etc to funnel my calls through - none of them were able to be either installed or opened
    • Taking out the simcard and putting it back in again
    • The obligatory "turn it off and turn it back on again"

I originally thought this was due to the Verizon 3G shut down but that's not happening until 2021. My bands are good and the phone says it's connected to 4G. So my question is: What gives man?? I really want this to work because it's been great for reducing distractions, but IDK how to fix this. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate the assistance.

Thanks for your time!
    10-28-20 11:56 AM
    What's going on everybody! I'm a new BB Classic owner and I'm having trouble actually connecting with calls. I am on a Verizon plan and I didn't get it officially set up, I just switched the sim card from my old galaxy s8 into the BB Classic. The weird part is that 4G LTE and texting are working perfectly. It's JUST phone calls, which is really a shame because it's perfect for my purposes other than that.

I tried the following:
    • Resetting the network; both in the mobile network options and in the "about" section.
    • Downloading apps like talkatone, freetext, google voice, etc to funnel my calls through - none of them were able to be either installed or opened
    • Taking out the simcard and putting it back in again
    • The obligatory "turn it off and turn it back on again"

I originally thought this was due to the Verizon 3G shut down but that's not happening until 2021. My bands are good and the phone says it's connected to 4G. So my question is: What gives man?? I really want this to work because it's been great for reducing distractions, but IDK how to fix this. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate the assistance.

Thanks for your time!
    What does VZW tell you?
    10-28-20 09:57 PM
    Verizon is already shutting down 3G bands and refarming those frequencies to 5G in many areas - the 2021 date is simply the date when they'll mass shut off the remaining 3G that hasn't already been refarmed.

Your phone can only make and receive calls 2 ways: using CDMA (which is a 2G/3G technology) or via VoLTE (Voice Over LTE, which is often branded "HD Voice" or something similar). Verizon officially does NOT support BB10 for HD Voice/VoLTE going forward, which is likely due to the very early LTE chipset in those 6-to-7-year-old BB10 phones, and THAT means that if you're in an area where Verizon has already refarmed the 3G to something else (in some areas, it will be refarmed to 4G, and others to 5G, depending on need), you can no longer use it for calls.

You might find that it works for calls 5 miles away, when you're connected to a different cell tower that is still supporting 3G/CDMA calling, but every day, more and more towers are being refarmed, so this was inevitable. And of course it's not just BB-branded phones that are affected - nearly all phones of a similar age will have call functionality dropped due to the network updates.

There's a good reason why Verizon won't activate a Classic on their network - they know that in many areas, it doesn't work, and in not very much longer, it won't work on their network anywhere.
    10-28-20 10:06 PM
    Damn, so does this mean I'm SOL when it comes to taking calls? Or is there a way I can redirect calls to be taken over wifi/data instead?
    10-29-20 09:03 AM
    I've got midterms this week so I haven't had time to call. I spent most of my limited free time setting the classic up. I'll have to call them tomorrow.
    10-29-20 09:05 AM
    I've got midterms this week so I haven't had time to call. I spent most of my limited free time setting the classic up. I'll have to call them tomorrow.
    No need to call them.... you need a different phone, that meets their network requirements.

Might could switch to AT&T, but not sure about the bands....
    10-29-20 09:54 AM
    No need to call them.... you need a different phone, that meets their network requirements.

When I went from vzw to AT&T my vzw Q10 had problems, needed two switch to a -2 Classic.
    10-30-20 10:51 PM

And there's truly no way to get wifi/data calling on the phone?
    11-05-20 11:33 AM
    And there's truly no way to get wifi/data calling on the phone?
    You can try..... but "officially" they aren't activating any phones that won't support the current VoIP over LTE. Old iPhones, old Samsung's and old BlackBerries - anything that is 3G only are had the 1st Gen LTE Modems. Because in a couple of months, 3G is going away and those phones wouldn't work anyway.

WiFi calling also requires the carrier to support the phone...
    11-05-20 01:05 PM
    You can try..... but "officially" they aren't activating any phones that won't support the current VoIP over LTE. Old iPhones, old Samsung's and old BlackBerries - anything that is 3G only are had the 1st Gen LTE Modems. Because in a couple of months, 3G is going away and those phones wouldn't work anyway.

WiFi calling also requires the carrier to support the phone...
    Truthfully I'm just trying to get this thing to carry me over until the BB 5G comes out. If they stop supporting it then that's fine. It works well besides calling and if I could get google voice or something else working on my current phone number that would be amazing.
    11-05-20 11:06 PM
    Truthfully I'm just trying to get this thing to carry me over until the BB 5G comes out. If they stop supporting it then that's fine. It works well besides calling and if I could get google voice or something else working on my current phone number that would be amazing.
    You in Canada? Fongo works-ish on the Classic.you just need a good wifi or data signal. It gives you a separate number from your cell plan. Makes for a decent backup phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-20 02:44 PM