Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I have been a BB user for 20 years now. I just recently stopped using my Bold 9650 for a Key2LE on Verizon. The 3G coverage on VZ was really bad and I had to travel overseas and need a working phone. I am really not happy with the Key2. I use email groups extensively and the new format is very cumbersome and time consuming. I miss the simplicity of the older BB models and have heard from ATT that they will activate a Blackberry Classic in 2019 (Verizon will not). I only want to use the phone for email and texts and have no interest in any apps, etc.

Here are some of my issues with the Key2:

* in sent emails, you cant see the bbc group recepients
    * bcc in emails is always an ask for and then you have to scroll thru all your groups to add them (no search feature available like the older BB models)
    * cant save emails - older BB allowed this and you could press "V" to see all saved emails
    * in groups, there is no option to see all the email addresses
    * there is no simply way to copy text in sms message, pressing the text just highlights everything
    * cant simply add a new contact from email like the older versions

Can anyone existing Classic users help me answer these questions???

1) Is the Hub still available and will it not work after BB decides to discontinue support
    2) Does the Classic allow you to copy/paste with the trackpad like the older Bold models?
    3) Has anyone activated a Classic on ATT in 2019

Any thoughts and assistance would truly be appreciated.
    08-23-19 01:30 PM
    1) I think yes...
    2) yes
    3) sorry.... I am from Europe and not ATT customer.
    08-23-19 01:36 PM
    On AT&T...no problem! I am using model SQC100-4.BlackBerry Classic Question on ATT-att.jpeg
    08-23-19 07:00 PM
    Pay attention closely as I'm usually posting about moving to Key BBAndroid devices away from BB10 models like the Classic in 2019 but it sounds like you know the limitations and your footprint usage seems BB10 acceptable going forward. The SQC 100-2 model is the AT&T branded one. If staying with AT&T for best overall coverage, get this device. If switching onto T-MOBILE get the SQC 100-4 model. It's either T-MOBILE branded or factory unlocked. Either device can be carrier unlocked if carrier branded.

The -4 model if factory unlocked is fine on either carrier but I don't believe supports wireless charging and won't have enhanced calling features on AT&T network.

My AT&T branded -2 model had enhanced calling features on AT&T since I have AT&T postpaid account. It also supports wireless charging. The major downside was that was it was at time of introduction, missing an important T-MOBILE band for many areas of the country.

No GSM devices have to be activated on either AT&T or T-MOBILE but if you buy a different model, even factory unlocked, from what I've listed above, your service coverage will suffer and be waste of money. I saw new AT&T Classic listed on Amazon for under $200 but if you insist, don't be a BlackBerry cheapskate. Buy the correct model or don't waste your time and money.

Any questions.... start at beginning and read slower.... Not being a jerk... it won't change my answers
    @TrumpetTiger
    08-23-19 07:31 PM
    One thing you should note is there is no native automatic bcc option on BB10. There were apps which you could buy to do it but I don't know if they are available any more.

This was a big problem for me in the past as sent emails used to just dissapear from the phone once sent with no record kept by my provider server side either.

If this is a problem for you I would consider carefully spending out on any BB10 device at this point.

Don't get me wrong I love BB10 and will continue to use it for as long as possible but it does have it's limitations and an uncertain future, I don't necessarily believe it will stop working on 1/1/2020 but things won't get any better from here on in.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    08-24-19 03:57 AM
    Coming from a AT&T-Bold 9900, I activated a AT&T-Classic a few month ago on AT&T.

Well, first I went to an AT&T store with my Bold 9900 and just got a micro SIM card and plugged it into the Classic. It appeared to work at first, but I found later that I had a few functionality issues. I forgot what each of those were, but I remember having voice mail issues and the phone never displayed LTE. So I called customer support and found that AT&T had my phone still listed as Bold 9900 in their records. Once that was correctly updated and I rebooted my phone, my issues have resolved. Now my AT&T-Classic shows LTE while in standby and when talking it shows 4g.

From time to time, I still get voice mail issues (unable to delete voice mail), but rebooting the phone resolves it.

By the way, I run the phone without setting up BBID. So I have no Blackberry World Applications and using the phones built-in applications only.

Notably, HUB perfectly works without BBID, so it appears to work without Blackberry support and to work for a lot longer this way.

It will take you some time to set up contacts sync and eMail sync. There are a few threads here how to do. I'm using a Microsoft Sync account to do that, but there is a work around for Google too. Check for the corresponding threads here.

Switching to Classic was a huge step back for me. My Bold 9900 was a much better phone for my purposes. Much more intuitive, much more fluid, much faster contact entry, much faster appointment entry and editing, faster making calls and even using the trackpad seemed much better. Classic's font is much smaller when texting, I can hardly read it and it can't be changed to bigger font. These phone was clearly not developed by the same people who developed the older generation phones.

For my personal needs, using Classic is a necessary evil. I would love to go back to my Bold 9900, but it started to loose eMail connectivity at certain locations (and more and more locations). If I understand correctly, this was due to AT&T shutting off data services at certain towers and moving data services to LTE (at least this is how I understand the technical background of it).
    Last edited by WES51; 08-24-19 at 11:29 AM.
    gouger05 likes this.
    08-24-19 11:02 AM
    @qcbob, I see you brought that question here from the AT&T Community forum. I was going to go back and suggest that over there.

Better chance of getting better answers here.

Still don't know how much longer AT&T will allow new service of older LTE devices though. The idea is to eventually allow only devices with VoLTE capability. But, as I noted, the Classic supposedly supports it. But, maybe AT&T is only going to allow certain devices. That's what I'm not clear on.
    08-24-19 11:24 AM
    This was a big problem for me in the past as sent emails used to just dissapear from the phone once sent with no record kept by my provider server side either.
    I encountered this issue as well and yes, it was a big problem for me too, BUT I was ABLE TO FIX it.

In my case it was NOT due to the phone, but rather due to the eMail settings at my GMail account (same settings were OK for BBOS, but turned out to be not OK for BB10 and needed to be changed).

In past BBOS days, I had set up GMail in ways that 'sent items' would not be stored on GMail. But this turned out to 'tripp' Classic into deleting/not storing sent eMails.

So I have changed GMail account setting to save sent eMails for about 3 month before auto-deleting them and all is good now.
    08-24-19 04:12 PM
    I encountered this issue as well and yes, it was a big problem for me too, BUT I was ABLE TO FIX it.

In my case it was NOT due to the phone, but rather due to the eMail settings at my GMail account (same settings were OK for BBOS, but turned out to be not OK for BB10 and needed to be changed).

In past BBOS days, I had set up GMail in ways that 'sent items' would not be stored on GMail. But this turned out to 'tripp' Classic into deleting/not storing sent eMails.

So I have changed GMail account setting to save sent eMails for about 3 month before auto-deleting them and all is good now.
    Yes I managed to fix mine in a similar fashion but not before wasting loads of time trying to get info from the service provider which were useless.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    08-24-19 04:50 PM
    Coming from a AT&T-Bold 9900, I activated a AT&T-Classic a few month ago on AT&T.

Well, first I went to an AT&T store with my Bold 9900 and just got a micro SIM card and plugged it into the Classic......[snip]....
    Switching to Classic was a huge step back for me. ....[snip]... Classic's font is much smaller when texting, I can hardly read it and it can't be changed to bigger font. These phone was clearly not developed by the same people who developed the older generation phones.

...[snip]...
    Correction: FONT SIZES ARE CHANGEABLE ON ALL BB10 DEVICES, including the CLASSIC.
    You can go all the way up to 18point type (and if that's not good enough, you can use accessibility options in the settings to magnify the screen)

I love that feature, as some days its necessary.
    How?
    Pull down the settings menu [swipe from top down ] on the Home screen (or any home page or the HUB, or even within the Text (SMS) message compose screen or even the BBM screen i think.)
    ---or-- Press and hold the 'X" key on the keyboard to launch the shortcut for settings (though not sure if this is the correct key on the classic, anyways it is user overrideable or settable)
    Select [Display] [Font Size] then scroll to the size you want to set, viola it is done. This does it for the whole device, not just texting. So if texting is the only problem, you'll probably set and reset as needed. Easy.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 08-24-19 at 11:40 PM.
    08-24-19 11:20 PM
    Correction: FONT SIZES ARE CHANGEABLE ON ALL BB10 DEVICES, including the CLASSIC.
    Many thanks for the correction.

My bad. I may have mixed it up with something else, perhaps BBM. But I should not speculate more after being wrong about it. Anyhow it is a good thing I could increase font size it text.

Thanks again.
    08-24-19 11:26 PM
    Many thanks for the correction.

My bad. I may have mixed it up with something else, perhaps BBM. But I should not speculate more after being wrong about it. Anyhow it is a good thing I could increase font size it text.

Thanks again.
    You're Welcome. I like that you can pull that Setting menu down right within the compose message screen of SMS as well, without appearing to be leaving the app to do this.
    08-24-19 11:44 PM
    You're Welcome. I like that you can pull that Setting menu down right within the compose message screen of SMS as well, without appearing to be leaving the app to do this.
    You can pull it down from anywhere, within an app do a two finger Swipe down from the top of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-19 06:27 AM
    You can pull it down from anywhere, within an app do a two finger Swipe down from the top of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    Completely forgot....thanks for the refresher. It was a 10.3 refinement not found in 10.2 and earlier.
    https://crackberry.com/heres-whats-w...ckberry-os-103
    https://crackberry.com/access-quick-...ckberry-os-103
    08-25-19 01:09 PM
    I have been a BB user for 20 years now. I just recently stopped using my Bold 9650 for a Key2LE on Verizon. The 3G coverage on VZ was really bad and I had to travel overseas and need a working phone. I am really not happy with the Key2. I use email groups extensively and the new format is very cumbersome and time consuming. I miss the simplicity of the older BB models and have heard from ATT that they will activate a Blackberry Classic in 2019 (Verizon will not). I only want to use the phone for email and texts and have no interest in any apps, etc.

Here are some of my issues with the Key2:

* in sent emails, you cant see the bbc group recepients
    * bcc in emails is always an ask for and then you have to scroll thru all your groups to add them (no search feature available like the older BB models)
    * cant save emails - older BB allowed this and you could press "V" to see all saved emails
    * in groups, there is no option to see all the email addresses
    * there is no simply way to copy text in sms message, pressing the text just highlights everything
    * cant simply add a new contact from email like the older versions

Can anyone existing Classic users help me answer these questions???

1) Is the Hub still available and will it not work after BB decides to discontinue support
    2) Does the Classic allow you to copy/paste with the trackpad like the older Bold models?
    3) Has anyone activated a Classic on ATT in 2019

Any thoughts and assistance would truly be appreciated.
    Hey qcbob,

To answer your questions:

1. The Hub is still available on all BB10 devices and will continue to work normally forevermore no matter if Blackberry Limited eventually cuts off support (they have committed in writing to extending it into 2020 at this point also, by the way). It is built in to autoloaders and uses industry standard protocols which are unlikely to change.

2. The Classic does allow copying and pasting via trackpad yes.

3. I have not activated a Classic directly on AT&T, but there should be no reason why you can't do it. However, if I may offer an alternative option, while there is mixed evidence on Verizon activating NEW Classics existing Classics which you purchase secondhand work perfectly on Verizon (I have one as a test model). All you'd need to do is take your existing Verizon SIM, put it into the Classic, and you're good to go. I can confirm this works and would be happy to help you source a Classic either for Verizon or AT&T; just let me know.

Also, as a general note and as mentioned earlier: please do not be concerned with many posts on these forums claiming that things may break at the end of 2019 and we're not really sure, etc. etc. Blackberry Limited has committed multiple times in writing to keeping BB10 services on (with the exception of Blackberry World) for quite some time to come.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help or any other information I can provide.
    08-26-19 02:45 PM
    Hey qcbob,

To answer your questions:

1. The Hub is still available on all BB10 devices and will continue to work normally forevermore no matter if Blackberry Limited eventually cuts off support (they have committed in writing to extending it into 2020 at this point also, by the way). It is built in to autoloaders and uses industry standard protocols which are unlikely to change.

2. The Classic does allow copying and pasting via trackpad yes.

3. I have not activated a Classic directly on AT&T, but there should be no reason why you can't do it. However, if I may offer an alternative option, while there is mixed evidence on Verizon activating NEW Classics existing Classics which you purchase secondhand work perfectly on Verizon (I have one as a test model). All you'd need to do is take your existing Verizon SIM, put it into the Classic, and you're good to go. I can confirm this works and would be happy to help you source a Classic either for Verizon or AT&T; just let me know.

Also, as a general note and as mentioned earlier: please do not be concerned with many posts on these forums claiming that things may break at the end of 2019 and we're not really sure, etc. etc. Blackberry Limited has committed multiple times in writing to keeping BB10 services on (with the exception of Blackberry World) for quite some time to come.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help or any other information I can provide.
    Great replies and thanks. I am interested. So a new VZ classic would not work but a second hand one would. I would like to learn more.....
    08-26-19 02:53 PM
    I have the -2 on AT&T and it works flawlessly. It replaced a Q10 and before that a 9930 and I don't look back.

I have an android burner phone to cover anything the BlackBerry can't do.

I also tried the Key2, and was not impressed by the size of the keyboard or the phone dimensions.

 Classic SQC100-2 | 10.3.2.2813
    08-28-19 06:36 PM
    I have the -2 on AT&T and it works flawlessly. It replaced a Q10 and before that a 9930 and I don't look back.

I have an android burner phone to cover anything the BlackBerry can't do.

I also tried the Key2, and was not impressed by the size of the keyboard or the phone dimensions.

 Classic SQC100-2 | 10.3.2.2813
    AT&T or the BE KEYone are both good on AT&T network. Either has all enhanced calling features except for WFC that neither has ever had,
    08-28-19 08:43 PM