Hello,

As the title suggests; my Classic is unable to both make and receive calls but data services work. This occurred when Vodafone Australia shut down some 3G towers/service/spectrum. I have read other threads and I am beginning to think that my Classic in no longer compatible with this carrier. Before retiring the Classic and purchasing a Key2 (which I don't really want to as I really like my Classic after using it for years), could a fellow user advise whether indeed my Classic will no longer work as Vodafone customer care are useless. Below are the key information regarding this matter;

Phone: Blackberry Classic
    Model: SQC100-2
    Carrier: Vodafone Australia
    Problem: Unable to receive make calls
    SIM: Received a new/replacement SIM from Vodafone store. Did not fix problem. Replacement SIM does work in my other phone; Blackberry PRIV STV100-3.
    Contract: Could be still on a BIS-type contract but I don't think so as I would have thought Vodafone would have converted me to something else.

Vodafone is phasing out 3G on its 2100MHz and convert it to 4G but will continue to operate 3G on its 900MHz. Therefore, devices compatible only with 2100MHz will no longer work after converting to 4G.

This is the information I found for Vodafone Australia frequencies. Hopefully a fellow user can ensure this is correct.

3G = 900MHz (B8) and 2100MHz (B1)* = currently in conversion
    4G = 850MHz (B5); 1800MHz (B3); 2100MHz (B1)

Based on the above information;

1. Is my device incompatible with Vodafone Australia network?
    2. If it is NOT incompatible, what information can I arm myself to get Vodafone staff to fix the problem?
    3. If my device is incompatible, shall I purchase another Classic and if so which model?
    4. If my device is incompatible, shall I purchase a KEY2 and save myself the grief and time wasted?
    5. If I do purchase a KEY2, which model shall I purchase? I travel to Europe, Middle East and Asia frequently and I would like to have a dual-sim device.

Any assistance from fellow Crackberry members would be grateful as I am at my wits end spending money on a telephone contract where I am not gaining any benefit.

If further information is required; will post.
    07-11-19 08:18 PM
    Hello,

As the title suggests; my Classic is unable to both make and receive calls but data services work. This occurred when Vodafone Australia shut down some 3G towers/service/spectrum. I have read other threads and I am beginning to think that my Classic in no longer compatible with this carrier. Before retiring the Classic and purchasing a Key2 (which I don't really want to as I really like my Classic after using it for years), could a fellow user advise whether indeed my Classic will no longer work as Vodafone customer care are useless. Below are the key information regarding this matter;

SIM: Received a new/replacement SIM from Vodafone store. Did not fix problem. Replacement SIM does work in my other phone; Blackberry PRIV STV100-3.
    Contract: Could be still on a BIS-type contract but I don't think so as I would have thought Vodafone would have converted me to something else.

Vodafone is phasing out 3G on its 2100MHz and convert it to 4G but will continue to operate 3G on its 900MHz. Therefore, devices compatible only with 2100MHz will no longer work after converting to 4G.

This is the information I found for Vodafone Australia frequencies. Hopefully a fellow user can ensure this is correct.

2. If it is NOT incompatible, what information can I arm myself to get Vodafone staff to fix the problem?
    3. If my device is incompatible, shall I purchase another Classic and if so which model?
    4. If my device is incompatible, shall I purchase a KEY2 and save myself the grief and time wasted?
    5. If I do purchase a KEY2, which model shall I purchase? I travel to Europe, Middle East and Asia frequently and I would like to have a dual-sim device.

Any assistance from fellow Crackberry members would be grateful as I am at my wits end spending money on a telephone contract where I am not gaining any benefit.

#1 Should work... as it has band 900 (if your phone is working correctly).
    #2 It's their network... if they deem a device not compatible, I doubt anyone you talk with is going to be able to change that.
    #3 No you should not buy another 2013 phone
    #4 KEY2 just went on sale in Australia last month... but that doesn't mean it is approved for your network. Really need to search or ask if anyone is using a KEY2 on Vodafone Australia network.
    #5 here are the variants https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...iants-1143314/ I assume the BBF100-1 is what they are selling there...
    07-12-19 08:09 AM
    Thanks very much for the reply and the advice. I will ask one more time for assistance from Vodafone regarding device compatibility. If I hit a brick-wall, I will purchase a KEY2 as you advised. Will keep the forum updated.
    07-12-19 09:58 AM
    Tested my Bold 9900 (RDV71UW) on the Vodafone 3G network (regional Victoria) it works (calls/TXT/MMS). Posting this with the BB Classic ( same model -2) on Vodafone 4G network(calls/TXT/MMS). Works with Belong 4G (Telstra) as well.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    07-14-19 02:05 AM
    Hello,

I have just encountered the same issue. A classic on vodafone. Making and receiving calls was spasmodic until today. Multiple failed attempts at calling mobile numbers.

I was thinking my phone had issued until I read this post. I changed the sim into a Nokia android device and no issues.
    07-17-19 06:16 AM
    See below:
    07-17-19 07:12 AM
    Thanks very much for the reply and the advice. I will ask one more time for assistance from Vodafone regarding device compatibility. If I hit a brick-wall, I will purchase a KEY2 as you advised. Will keep the forum updated.
    Hey Chiss,

I wouldn't give up on your Classic just yet. Let me check into this a little and see what we can come up with. I will say that there are often ways to get around carrier restrictions, and that even if there isn't in this case if you don't mind jumping carriers I fully advise buying a new Classic or Passport as they're still great phones and very privacy and security-focused. If you are concerned with privacy and security, I'd advise against buying any Android devices, whether made by TCL under the Blackberry Mobile brand or not.
    07-17-19 10:30 PM
    I have just encountered the same issue. A classic on vodafone. Making and receiving calls was spasmodic until today. Multiple failed attempts at calling mobile numbers.

I was thinking my phone had issued until I read this post. I changed the sim into a Nokia android device and no issues.
    Hang in there Gene. Checking into this.

Are you in Australia also?
    07-17-19 10:31 PM
    Hang in there Gene. Checking into this.

Are you in Australia also?
    Yes currently.
    07-17-19 11:05 PM
    Hello Trumpet Tiger and Gene Falls.

Thank you for assisting and trying to find a solution.

I went to the 'main' Vodafone store in Melbourne. It also has a service centre. Figured this would be the place to go to definitively find out why my Classic is not working. I will dot point the main points about what happened.

* The service centre tech logged onto a coverage checker map.
    * Coverage checker showed previous devices (Z30, Bold 9900, 9360 Curve, 8520 Curve). No mention of Classic, Passport, Priv, KeyOne, KeyTwo...etc.
    * Notice for all Blackberry Devices on Vodafone stating from 30/04/2019, BIS and BES will close. However, if you have a device running OS 10 or Android, still can use device.
    * Told tech what was the problem as described above.
    * Tech got my phone and called another vodafone number...it worked!
    * I dialled another number (one to a Vodafone user and another on Telstra) worked again.
    * Tech stated that because its an older device, it is not compatible with Vodafone network. But I asked for an explanation about how I am I able to make/receive calls here but if I walk few hundred metres out of the store the phone is useless? Unable to give me an answer.
    * I asked if both the Z30 and Bold 9990 are still compatible (as I still have these phones in a box at home). Tech said he is not sure as he does not have users coming in with Blackberry phones.

At my wits end I left. I was getting nowhere.

Following on from TrumpetTiger's comment; I like using my Classic due to its privacy and security-focused settings. I use this phone for work and the Priv as my personal cell. Like other users, I value my privacy and security not only to keep my conversations and content private and secure; but I don't want the likes of Facebook, Google, Apple...etc having the ability to see what I am doing. Having an Apple and Andriod-free phone is good but I understand it is an inevitability that I will have to transition to an Andriod-based Blackberry phone made by TCL (unless we can purchase a Boeing Black - yes I know its Andriod-based hence my comment on the inevitability of transition!).

I can easily go purchase a KEY2 but I am hesitant as I have still yet to see someone come out and say that the KEY2 is as secure and privacy focused as the phones made by Blackberry in the past.

I will have another crack at Vodafone again and speak to someone else.

Meantime, if TrumpetTiger is able to investigate, that would be great as it would mean I, Gene and other Classic users can hang onto our devces for a bit longer....unless we can purchase a Boeing Black!
    Gene Fells likes this.
    07-18-19 02:19 AM
    I think part of it might just be it's an old BlackBerry and get's lumped in with BBOS. For carries I expect most still have more BBOS BlackBerry users that they deal with than BB10. The idea that there are three distinct BlackBerry "platforms" is not really understood.

Someone on a higher level of support that isn't just reading what a screen tells them is supported... might be able to help you.

Boeing Black... pretty sure they never made them. Boeing did move forward working with DISA to secure a couple of devices (think Obama used one).... but that was a while back. But Obama hated it, compared it to something you might give a 3-Year old.

Trump would have nothing to do with it....

If you really want security... the hardware doesn't matter all that much. How it's setup and how it communicates are what are key. Trumps switched back and forth between iOS and Android... not sure it really matters. I'm sure something like SecuSuite is used to lock down all communications.
    07-22-19 04:00 PM

I went to the 'main' Vodafone store in Melbourne. It also has a service centre. Figured this would be the place to go to definitively find out why my Classic is not working. I will dot point the main points about what happened.

* Coverage checker showed previous devices (Z30, Bold 9900, 9360 Curve, 8520 Curve). No mention of Classic, Passport, Priv, KeyOne, KeyTwo...etc.
    * Notice for all Blackberry Devices on Vodafone stating from 30/04/2019, BIS and BES will close. However, if you have a device running OS 10 or Android, still can use device.
    * I dialled another number (one to a Vodafone user and another on Telstra) worked again.
    * Tech stated that because its an older device, it is not compatible with Vodafone network. But I asked for an explanation about how I am I able to make/receive calls here but if I walk few hundred metres out of the store the phone is useless? Unable to give me an answer.
    * I asked if both the Z30 and Bold 9990 are still compatible (as I still have these phones in a box at home). Tech said he is not sure as he does not have users coming in with Blackberry phones.

Following on from TrumpetTiger's comment; I like using my Classic due to its privacy and security-focused settings. I use this phone for work and the Priv as my personal cell. Like other users, I value my privacy and security not only to keep my conversations and content private and secure; but I don't want the likes of Facebook, Google, Apple...etc having the ability to see what I am doing. Having an Apple and Andriod-free phone is good but I understand it is an inevitability that I will have to transition to an Andriod-based Blackberry phone made by TCL (unless we can purchase a Boeing Black - yes I know its Andriod-based hence my comment on the inevitability of transition!).

I can easily go purchase a KEY2 but I am hesitant as I have still yet to see someone come out and say that the KEY2 is as secure and privacy focused as the phones made by Blackberry in the past.

Meantime, if TrumpetTiger is able to investigate, that would be great as it would mean I, Gene and other Classic users can hang onto our devces for a bit longer....unless we can purchase a Boeing Black!
    The biggest exploit privacy-wise is your SIM card. What I mean is simply, the minute you put in any carrier SIM card, you have no privacy. Doesn’t matter the OS since you’re required to voluntarily share whatever the carriers want per TOS on your account.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-22-19 04:12 PM

Thanks Chiss for doing all the investigations. I will watch this thread for further updates
    07-22-19 04:45 PM
    Hi there, my BlackBerry Classic is working just fine on the Germany Vodafone 4G Network.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-19 06:21 AM
    Here is a screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Classic not working on Vodafone 4G-38934.jpg  
    08-11-19 06:35 AM
    Your phone is locked

Posted via CB10
    09-25-19 07:06 AM