But how come GCF says it supports cat.4 ?
    I am unfamiliar with this organization. Is a correct listing with them absolutely necessary for release somewhere? IOW, are they a regulatory body (like the US' FCC) or an "industry" body/group with less powers, perhaps--like North America's PTCRB?
    02-04-15 07:44 PM
    Look under Network & Connectivity, it's cat. 3: BlackBerry Classic Specs ? Specifications for BlackBerry Classic Smartphone - US

I would have been very surprised if this was the phone they would have chosen to bump up to cat. 4
    I would trust the test report from FCC better, here's the RF report for the SQC100-1:

https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicat...tml?id=2442434

Go to page 10. Clearly says bands 5, 2 and 7 are Cat 3.

Granted, since the phone supports other bands too, but these 3 already conflict the GCF page to void it.
    raino likes this.
    02-05-15 08:40 AM
    Hey Raino,

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure if I'm reading the picture correctly, so thought I would ask (and this is for the community at large). A friend of mine got a Blackberry Classic that was operating on the Rogers network here in Canada. I assume it is locked and not like the Verizon z30 that I have that came unlocked.

As such, we were just looking at options as she now has to look at a provider and a good plan. Since she has a SQC100-4, the chart would seem to indicate that once if is unlocked, it will work with any of the Canadian carriers (i.e. Telus, Bell, Koodo, Fido, Wind, Mobilicity, etc.). Is that correct? Or is there more to the chart that I'm not seeing?

Also, can anyone recommend the best value in terms of carrier and plan in Canada? My friend texts a bit, uses BBM and also email. Not a lot of internet surfing so I don't think she needs that much data.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks.
    02-14-15 07:22 PM
    As such, we were just looking at options as she now has to look at a provider and a good plan. Since she has a SQC100-4, the chart would seem to indicate that once if is unlocked, it will work with any of the Canadian carriers (i.e. Telus, Bell, Koodo, Fido, Wind, Mobilicity, etc.). Is that correct?
    You got it. All these Canadian carriers sell the SQC100-4, so your friend will be fine. All she'll need to make sure is that it's unlocked, if she ends up choosing a carrier other than Rogers, and perhaps Fido.
    02-14-15 07:27 PM
    Hey Raino,

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure if I'm reading the picture correctly, so thought I would ask (and this is for the community at large). A friend of mine got a Blackberry Classic that was operating on the Rogers network here in Canada. I assume it is locked and not like the Verizon z30 that I have that came unlocked.

As such, we were just looking at options as she now has to look at a provider and a good plan. Since she has a SQC100-4, the chart would seem to indicate that once if is unlocked, it will work with any of the Canadian carriers (i.e. Telus, Bell, Koodo, Fido, Wind, Mobilicity, etc.). Is that correct? Or is there more to the chart that I'm not seeing?

Also, can anyone recommend the best value in terms of carrier and plan in Canada? My friend texts a bit, uses BBM and also email. Not a lot of internet surfing so I don't think she needs that much data.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks.
    Where are you located?

I have a Koodo plan, $55/5GB Unlimited everything. They do not have the Classic though so I bought mine from Amazon unlocked. PM me for details.
    02-15-15 11:37 PM
    Another Question -

If one were to buy an ATT branded Classic from Amazon without a contract, could one pop in a nano sim from another carrier and have it work (assuming the bands are compatible) ?

I ask because I want wireless charging, but I don't want Verizon or ATT contracts or plans. I have been using Straight Talk and they have a BYOP deal. I want to buy the ATT version from Amazon but it says it is locked to ATT......
    I don't want to buy a phone I can't use.
    Last edited by SullyFish; 02-27-15 at 11:53 PM. Reason: misspelled
    02-27-15 11:33 PM
    Another Question -

If one were to buy an ATT branded Classic from Amazon without a contract, could one pop in a nano sim from another carrier and have it work (assuming the bands are compatible) ?

I ask because I want wireless charging, but I don't want Verizon or ATT contracts or plans. I have been using Straight Talk and they have a BYOP deal. I want to buy the ATT version from Amazon but it says it is locked to ATT......
    I don't want to buy a phone I can't use.
    If you buy an AT&T Classic and get a Straight Talk SIM that uses the AT&T network, then you won't even need to get the phone unlocked. But if you get a Straight Talk SIM that uses the TMO network, then you're going to need to get the phone unlocked.

Should you need an unlock code, how easy or difficult it would be, I don't know.
    02-28-15 01:01 AM
    So what about the SQC100-3 and SQC100-5? What are the specs on these and what carriers are getting them? Is the Verizon model the -5?

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 09:08 AM
    Only the SQN100-5 will work on Wind. I had an SQN100-1 and it would not. The 100-1 can only connect to T-Mobile's network in areas that they share infrastructure with, I think, Verizon.

It's the 1700/2100 AWS band that is required for Wind service.

Posted via CB10
    I picked up a Classic from Wind a couple weeks ago, they sold me the -4 straight from a corporate store.

Posted from my Classic
    02-28-15 09:31 AM
    So what about the SQC100-3 and SQC100-5? What are the specs on these and what carriers are getting them? Is the Verizon model the -5?
    Both the -3 and -5 are Verizon with the same radio bands; the -5 is no-camera version. And only Verizon is getting it.

Edit: just realized that it's not in the chart. I'll be putting it soon, just need to confirm one LTE band.
    stardomains and Avenzuno like this.
    02-28-15 12:30 PM
    Here's a screenshot from a Verizon Classic: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11421874

UMTS bands are confirmed, but LTE bands still are not. I'm guessing that that just like the Passport and AT&T, the SIM card is masking bands here. From BB, we know that LTE b3 is also there in this phone. BB indirectly hints at LTE b7 as well, but they don't out and out say it and that's the one I want to confirm.
    03-02-15 08:16 PM
    Thanks for this Raino!

On my previous Q10 (unlocked AT&T), I would simply insert a BELL SIM and get updates earlier.

Now, I have an unlocked Classic (AT&T). I could do the same thing again with any of the Candian carriers right?

Rogers supplies updates fastest right? Also, anything to consider with PMA format, with applying updates from other carriers?

Thanks!
    03-14-15 01:30 AM
    On my previous Q10 (unlocked AT&T), I would simply insert a BELL SIM and get updates earlier.

Now, I have an unlocked Classic (AT&T). I could do the same thing again with any of the Candian carriers right?
    No, I don't think that will work. The Q10 updates would come through because Bell and AT&T both sold the same model of that phone (-1.) Here for the Classic, they sell different models, and generally carriers don't approve OSes for models they don't carry.
    03-14-15 01:42 AM
    No, I don't think that will work. The Q10 updates would come through because Bell and AT&T both sold the same model of that phone (-1.) Here for the Classic, they sell different models, and generally carriers don't approve OSes for models they don't carry.
    That's what I was afraid of. Just hate thinking I'm reliant on AT&T for updates, specially times like now, when a new, truly useful update is already out.
    03-14-15 07:23 AM
    That's what I was afraid of. Just hate thinking I'm reliant on AT&T for updates, specially times like now, when a new, truly useful update is already out.
    If you're into non-OTA updating, I'm sure CB will have you covered with autoloaders, Sachesi OS sightings (I think Classic OSes are model ambivalent,) etc.
    03-14-15 10:04 AM
    I added the Verizon models to the chart. While I still think that LTE band 7 is in the -3 and -5, I did not add the band in there because there's no direct written documentation supporting this belief, nor even user reporting of its presence (AFAIK.)

If anyone ends up taking a -3 or -5 to a band 7 country (a Verizon customer going to Canada and using Rogers/Bell, for example,) and would be willing to test for band 7's presence, please let me know. Thanks.
    03-17-15 12:46 PM
    I added the Verizon models to the chart. While I still think that LTE band 7 is in the -3 and -5, I did not add the band in there because there's no direct written documentation supporting this belief, nor even user reporting of its presence (AFAIK.)

If anyone ends up taking a -3 or -5 to a band 7 country (a Verizon customer going to Canada and using Rogers/Bell, for example,) and would be willing to test for band 7's presence, please let me know. Thanks.
    Actually there's a simpler solution: use escreen://

Go to 3GPP Radio -> Utilities -> E-UTRA Band Configuration and see which bands are enabled.

My wild guess on that screen, blue means it's supported and swiped to right means enabled. I see there are some bands that are available but turned off on my -4. Of course I don't recommend trying to change those, but viewing should be fine.

BlackBerry Classic Models and Supported Frequencies-9gtp9ss.png

Based on that screen, my -4 also has Bands 13, 25 enabled, but I can't confirm since I can't take my unlocked and go on Verizon to verify 13.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 03-19-15 at 10:12 AM.
    raino likes this.
    03-19-15 09:53 AM
    Actually there's a simpler solution: use escreen://

Go to 3GPP Radio -> Utilities -> E-UTRA Band Configuration and see which bands are enabled.
    That's pretty neat, thanks. But I couldn't possibly ask anyone to go into escreens to look this up, especially when their phone's working just fine for them!

My wild guess on that screen, blue means it's supported and swiped to right means enabled. I see there are some bands that are available but turned off on my -4.
    Since I just can't get into escreen atm, is that a sequential list starting at band 1 and ending at some number, or are there numbers missing in between?

Based on that screen, my -4 also has Bands 13, 25 enabled, but I can't confirm since I can't take my unlocked and go on Verizon to verify 13.
    Right. Band 13, and more weirdly Sprint's 25 are in this phone as well. Maybe they're planning some kind of a 1900 refarm and 700c deployment up in Canada.
    03-19-15 11:13 AM
    That's pretty neat, thanks. But I couldn't possibly ask anyone to go into escreens to look this up, especially when their phone's working just fine for them!

Since I just can't get into escreen atm, is that a sequential list starting at band 1 and ending at some number, or are there numbers missing in between?

Right. Band 13, and more weirdly Sprint's 25 are in this phone as well. Maybe they're planning some kind of a 1900 refarm and 700c deployment up in Canada.
    I went into that screen on my fully working phone.. I'm not even at home :P

The numbers are sequential, actually. 700c is most certainly appearing soon, although there is complexity of the band allocation as it's different up here. Telus won that block in the last auction. Wouldn't be surprised 1900 appear at some point as well, when Bell and Telus decommission their 1x CDMA networks, which I think is happening this or next year.

The odd thing is 3GPP2 is there as well, for EV-DO. I'm certain there's no 1x radio in my phone.

Here are instructions to access escreen: How to access the engineering (Help Me!) screen on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    raino and Mr4aces like this.
    03-19-15 11:55 AM
    Hoe do you know which model you're getting from the BB store? Will this one work on TMO?

ShopBlackBerry Online Store - BlackBerry Classic
    04-03-15 12:51 PM
    Hoe do you know which model you're getting from the BB store? Will this one work on TMO?

This version works with GSM Carriers only; bands: FD-LTE: 1,2,4,5,7,13,17,25. HSPA: 1,2,4,5/6
    So it's a SQC100-4. And therefore, it'll work.
    Soapm and Mr4aces like this.
    04-03-15 01:03 PM

They don't list the model# there, unfortunately. But that's the SQC100-4, which will work on TMO.

The US ShopBB storefront's phones are all compatible with TMO.

Edit: Lord thurask beat me to it
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-03-15 01:06 PM
    Thanks, I just ordered one and got scared after seeing this thread. They really should tell you which model you're getting but in a perfect world
    04-03-15 03:34 PM
    Hello ) could you tell me why people so like this phone ? For what ?
    A bit outside the scope of this thread, but you may like to read this: BlackBerry Classic Review! | CrackBerry.com

And please tell me what is a medium price of this phone?
    thanks for reply)
    Again outside the scope of this thread. Retail price of this phone in the US is $450, and it has been about $100 cheaper on sale.
    06-03-15 11:49 AM
    Posted in error to wrong thread
    raino likes this.
    06-05-15 05:50 AM
112 12345