I should have been up front at the start:

I know great devices exist, but there is a lack of proper notifications. My needs are a CDMA device so I can't get Passport. Waiting for Classic.

I can't speak for OS 6 (released Q3 2010), but OS 7 wasn't available until 2011.

I have a 9530 from 2008/2009. The illusion is that at a glance it looks the same, but the operating system is much more ahead. The experience is very different. Day and night. It made me wonder if the masses assumed wrong when blackberry was closely on level with iphone.

For how many people was the BlackBerry one with the OS older than 7? That is where the real change is. Just watching crackberry's Bold 9900 review should show that. Down to how good the browser works and how responsive. Every major version was very different. I have had the illusion of my BlackBerry OS being the same every other one had. It made sense to me BlackBerry was behind. I was wrong. Can any of you relate? I believe opinions of the masses are of a pre-OS 7 device. No other phone has the detail of the notification system, even BB10 until the 10.3.1 update. What others have come to expect of a device, such as wifi, I lived without all this time on my 9530. These are lower expectations than most needs.A 9900 user would have higher needs/expectations than I have.

BlackBerry's brand is a bit unjustified. Apps are the only real way they become irrelevent. I just think opinions are really dated now. Years. Changing the public opinions won't be easy, but I feel like most of this is because the users are largely from before OS 7 times. Just a single version is a huge jump on BlackBerry while iOS and Android are pretty small jumps. There is no point to make except for this fact and BlackBerry's failure.

As long as BlackBerry continues to manufacture devices, I don't care either way. There are OS features you can't get anywhere else.

A phone is a phone. It doesn't matter for most. There are specific needs not met on anything but a BlackBerry. BlackBerry is undermined. Not a failure.

Edit: Thanks for your thoughts. I didn't come here for a heated debate, just to share what I thought went overlooked. Here are some of my use cases:

The Bad (unreliable, lacking features)

• OS updates, or at least the update to OS 5 actually CAUSED all my messages to be deleted.
    • Memory leaks and low Application Memory causes the device to delete SMS and Email. Even with Keep Messages forever set. It's not even documented by BlackBerry. Like a hidden fault by design. Imagine the implications in a corporate environment. Usually a month of SMS hard to keep, at times barely retaining 1-2 weeks.
    • Lag/Loading icon halts use of the entire device including answering calls. So bad that I consider the 2+ minutes to do a battery pull better than waiting.
    • Occasional white screen errors, forced reboots or when device has a black screen clearly lit.
    • Single sound channel. Have missed alarms and notifications depending on the timing of notifications or touch screen contact
    • One radio, no wifi, no using browser during a call nor multimedia text messages.
    • Carriers or BIS limit filesize or fail to handle file types. Errors instead of download prompts.
    • Bluetooth sometimes fails, forcing the need mess with power state to get it paired.
    • Charger delays for a minute sometimes before giving occasional errors. Accepted or not the clock still comes up. Phone will die overnight if you don't wait and check for the charge symbol. Great way to start the day; with a dead phone. Worse if you rely on your BlackBerry for an alarm clock.

The Good (even Storm 9530 and OS 5)

• Sound Profiles - Specific contacts or sound profiles can be dedicated to even a single individual getting through
    • Notification Settings - Can set low volume or high volume depending on contact. Custom alert for SMS and Phone separately per contact.
    • Confidence - Only battery or coverage problems are concerns.
    • AutoText - Date macro, special symbols, acronyms can become a phrase and input common mistakes to correct every time.
    • Multimedia Controls - Controls multimedia volume instead of ringtones. No accidentally turning off notifications. Dedicated mute/pause, volume controls can skip tracks if held. Music pauses if headphones disconnected.
    • Integrated Features - Preloaded with alarm clock, stopwatch, calculator, memopad, password keeper. Most essentials are there, no trust issues, no risk of loss.
    • No Ads - Only ever saw an ad in one one app.
    • Official Clients - if RIM made them they are well made. Third party services (except for ended services May this year), Skype, AIM and more. No ads. Keeps messages on SD Card.
    • SD Card Use - Chat clients use the SD card. Almost nothing does anymore. Simple non-proprietary file formats.
    • BlackBerry is actually a phone. Dedicated Call and End buttons. Can handle calls without even looking at the screen.
    • Keyboard - A SurePress screen isn't a keyboard, but is a pressure sensitive button. A screen keyboard is no different than touching the surface of a table.
    • Security - It shouldn't need to be asked for. It should be expected.
    Last edited by SC9530; 08-30-15 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Better formatting
    12-23-14 04:18 PM
    Sorry dude, didn't read your new book, but don't over-analyse every life decision. It's just a mobile phone. Take a chance, buy what you can afford and what looks right, it's a learning experience.
    The idea of the classic is a corporate replacement and is therefore somewhat basic. Passport is high end. Q10 midrange.
    kitmo, mkelley65, ny1979 and 2 others like this.
    12-23-14 06:00 PM
    The only way to get answers to your questions is to borrow a Classic and a Passport for a day or so. Reading user experiences is nothing like trying them yourself. Some of the decision making for me is pure old gut reaction to the device. I love my Classic so far.
    12-23-14 06:13 PM
    Sorry. I guess article length is not expected in a forum and posts quality is declining these days. I didn't over-analyze. This is after years of use. Anything repetitive sticks. Love it or hate it. But Thanks.

It may never be known, but I suspect the masses never made it to OS7. The crackberry review said BlackBerry caught up. Fans just move on. Z30 or Classic are my options if I want 10.3.1 which is first to return advanced notification options. I can't test devices on CDMA.
    Last edited by SC9530; 08-30-15 at 09:12 PM.
    12-23-14 09:30 PM
    I think I would have liked the Batt to be removable on the classic. I'm a little frustrated that the classic end call button does not work as I suspected. I would have wanted the end call button to end a call from anywhere in the phone.

I'm currently using a z10 coming from a 9900 and I must say I really like bb10. The classic still may be my next phone I just hope they fix the end call button programming

Posted from my z10 via cb 10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    12-23-14 09:49 PM
    The long term is a worry. Good batteries are rare because battery shelf life is all the life it has left once they're no longer made. No way to trust date stamps or cheap unofficial clones. I heard about that end call problem. It is too bad because OS 5 definitely ends calls anywhere. Unless it was by design. They should allow you to customize the default action. In the way they you can change volume control behavior.

So you used a 9900 and liked both? Great. I personally need to stay alerted immediately of web server problems to react quickly, within minutes. That is why I stress the need for notifications to get through no matter what, even if the phone is silent.
    Last edited by SC9530; 08-30-15 at 09:17 PM.
    12-23-14 10:18 PM
    I'm a 9900 user switching to the Classic. In my opinion the 9900 is one of the best email and text phones ever built. There is nothing faster to use and it remains to be seen if there will ever be one. I didn't upgrade 2 years ago when Blackberry came out with the Q10 and Z10. The main reason was the tool belt not on the Q10. BlackBerry had a lot of problems with OS BB10 because RIM/Blackberry/ML rush it out the door. This was the demise of RIM/BlackBerry/ML. It has taken till now for the OS to be close to being equal with other manufacturers OS.

I bought a Classic because I want to integrate to the BB10 OS and the hardware of the Bold is maxed out with only 280mb of use able RAM.

I have been using it for only 2 day so I'm still learning. The 9900 with OS7 is faster than BB10 for emails and texting. It is top heavy so it is harder to one hand type for a person with small hands The hub is not as good as the hub with OS7. There is no removable battery, which isn't a problem if you aren't a heavy user.

That being said I still would recommend the Classic. Just be give the device some time it will grow on you.

After you get just keep coming back to this site to complete you knowledge. There are good and bad postings on Crackberry but mostly good. Just ignore the smart a$$s.

Posted via CB10
    VeryBumpy, FinnBerry and Frehley like this.
    12-23-14 10:53 PM
    Although the 9900 seems hard to compete with, they made quite a bit of effort. Would removing the curved key layout throws off 9900 users? At the Classic launch event they described the process of testing many keyboard designs before it felt just right. I also wasn't aware of the 9900 having only 280mb as that, but it still sounds better than my 9530 in that regard. I mostly hate how OS 5 deletes messages without asking just because of memory leaks. It isn't unreasonable to expect.

Ever since Z30 came out, I've been ready to jump onto the first BB10 device (Z30 or a newer one), whether touch or keyboard, at the first update with proper sound profiles. The Classic is the first. FEATURES are my need rather than specs. That said, thanks for sharing your experiences. I was watching the BlackBerry following closely since the Z30 and Passport so I already know a bit of what to expect, but good advice to keep in mind.
    Last edited by SC9530; 08-30-15 at 09:20 PM.
    12-24-14 02:54 AM
    Although the 9900 seems hard to compete with, they made quite a bit of effort. Would removing the curved key layout throws off 9900 users? At the Classic launch event they described the process of testing many keyboard designs before it felt just right. I also wasn't aware of the 9900 having only 280mb as that, but it still sounds better than my 9530 in that regard.
    The 280mb is my useage RAM the 9900 came with 700+mb

Once Verizon has the Classic I plan to get it and stay with it. I mostly hate how OS 5 deletes messages without asking just because of memory leaks. I don't think I'm being that unreasonable.

Ever since Z30 came out, I've been hesitating. Waiting. Ready to jump onto the first BB10 device (Z30 or the first thing after), whether touch or keyboard, at the first update with proper sound profiles. The Classic is the first. The needs I have are mostly FEATURES, rather than if something is good or not as many are assuming. Once Verizon has it, you can be sure I'm getting one. That said, thanks for sharing your experiences. As for this community. I've been watching pretty closely since the Z30 and Passport so I already know a bit of what to expect. That was still good advice. I'll keep that in mind.
    I would definitely get one if your coming from a 9530 w/OS5

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 12-24-14 at 01:31 PM.
    SC9530 likes this.
    12-24-14 03:28 AM
    Sorry dude, didn't read your new book, but don't over-analyse every life decision. It's just a mobile phone. Take a chance, buy what you can afford and what looks right, it's a learning experience.
    The idea of the classic is a corporate replacement and is therefore somewhat basic. Passport is high end. Q10 midrange.
    It's in my opinion that many people have issues living in this tech world. We came from a pack mentality and quickly evolved into this world of static and noise with little time to adapt. The result Is a lot of people feel the need to polarize themselves to simplify a complex situation. They need to draw battle lines and pick sides and not accept that some situations won't have a direct answer. We don't need to be Isheep, or fandroids, or crackberrys because of our phone choices. We are many individuals with many different opinions and needs. No need to oversimplify things to make it easy to digest.

To the OP point. You are over thinking it. Who cares who abandoned blackberry. Who cares about people sharing pictures of their devices on the Internet. Who cares about how people felt about the storm. Who cares about the split seconds some small feature from os5 saves you. None of this matters in the end. What matters is, which phone is a better choice for you?

You do the best you can and that's all that matters. You don't need 7 years of research to come to this point. No matter what your conclusion, all that research still leaves you with the same personal needs, and the same device options. And the nonsense on this board shouldn't effect either of those 2 inputs.

Get a Z30 or a classic. Or don't. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    baarn likes this.
    12-24-14 06:32 AM
    Thanks for that input, but is it really considered over thinking when I didn't really put much thought into it?

This is my view from a 9530 user perspective. What I listed seems "flawed by design" to me. Auto-deletion of text messages set to keep forever on low memory? Not accepting the charger the first time? Bluetooth needing a few attempts to connect? Isn't it unacceptable for any device to do that?

You're right though. It really doesn't matter, or at least it shouldn't. The only reason it is a thing is because of those that feel the need to call you out on it. Ultimately we're the ones at a loss because of the masses mostly being opposed to BlackBerry. Unless innovation was needed for survival.

This isn't about specs. This is a use case scenario where only a few devices are capable. This is make or break. When there is a server notification, I need to hear it then and act on it. I can't casually overlook downtime. There are consequences.

Am I being unreasonable?
    12-24-14 10:05 AM
    Your storm is way out of date I think u should try a modern smartphone before u make an opinion on what phones won't do. Cuz phones today do a lot

Posted from my z10 via cb 10
    12-24-14 10:13 AM
    I'll answer your thread with my thread.

The list is long but truth is, the Classic feature and functionality base is excellent for Blackberry's first release.
    SC9530 likes this.
    12-24-14 10:24 AM
    I'll answer your thread with my thread.

The list is long but truth is, the Classic feature and functionality base is excellent for Blackberry's first release.
    that's right...I like it
    12-24-14 10:26 AM
    There are plenty of good devices. They can do a lot more, but sadly not reliable sound profiles with the option to silent all except one contact. When I ask carriers or resellers or anyone really, they go silent as it isn't possible on iOS or Android or say "there might be an app for that".

Only 10.3.1 does this so far and legacy BlackBerry devices.

It needs to be absolute. I can't get stuck with a device that MIGHT do this. This is why I shared this story.

EDIT: Thanks for sharing that. I've actually been watching your thread as it explains a lot.
    12-24-14 10:27 AM
    Thanks for that input, but is it really considered over thinking when I didn't really put much thought into it?

This is my view from a 9530 user perspective. What I listed seems "flawed by design" to me. Auto-deletion of text messages set to keep forever on low memory? Not accepting the charger the first time? Bluetooth needing a few attempts to connect? Isn't it unacceptable for any device to do that?

You're right though. It really doesn't matter, or at least it shouldn't. The only reason it is a thing is because of those that feel the need to call you out on it. Ultimately we're the ones at a loss because of the masses mostly being opposed to BlackBerry. Unless innovation was needed for survival.

This isn't about specs. This is a use case scenario where only a few devices are capable. This is make or break. When there is a server notification, I need to hear it then and act on it. I can't casually overlook downtime. There are consequences.

Am I being unreasonable?
    It's difficult to answer your questions with sweeping answers. The truth is some of your issues are bugs, some are oversights, some are likely not on the priority list, and some might be good ideas never realized. To your points about other brands button less phones, there's a lot of different factors that have left us in this state.

My thoughts:

1) the traditional smartphone tanked with apple came to the plate with a media centric device that happened to be more capable than blackberries at some key things. The biggest things being web browsing, pictures, music, and video. None of these things were work related but people accepted that they were taking a hit on productivity to accomplish some long awaited personal functionality. This mindset became norm

2) BlackBerry being slow, even refusing to respond, left a bad taste in their huge fan bases mouths. People started connecting "bad smartphone" with blackberry and "good smartphone" with apple. It further solidified that "apple - touch screen - less productivity = cool = future" and "blackberry - keyboard - not cool - yesteryear". No those things shouldn't need to go together, but why wouldn't people think that way? BlackBerry didn't have devices that proved people otherwise.

3) by the time BlackBerry did respond, with the bold 9900, people saw the keyboard, they saw BlackBerry, and they simply said "bad smartphone". It was too late. Yes it sold well, but not to the people it needed to. Momentum was already not in BlackBerry favor.

4) by the time they saw bb10 they said the same.

The truth? People still accept a hit in productivity to get personal satisfaction. They don't know that bb10 actually gives you a great mix of both. They see keyboard they say "blackberry, slow and bad". It's a sad truth, but it's a truth. They won't give it a fair chance

So where does that leave us?

With fewer options for sure. No market makes it difficult to make devices. That being said it doesn't change our options. And to be honest, I'd rather be one those who are aware of those options then someone blinded by their productivity / personal tradeoff.

So now blackberry is making blackberries for blackberry fans..they should have done this ages ago. If they can get a few million more on bb10 there could be some sustainable momentum. And that would be a good thing for both of us.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 10:45 AM