I love the Q10 keyboard by the way - it's why I chose the Q10 in the first place.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    06-20-14 07:49 PM
    I never used any of the old BBOS devices. So... what are "convenience keys"?

They're physical buttons on the side of Legacy devices. They could be programmed to launch any application you had installed. Usually for the Camera. Most had two, a left, and right side.

Posted via CB10

Attachment 279322
    Ragbert and JGoodard like this.
    06-20-14 08:03 PM
    Classic takes you back to 2007 with no design innovation. Sad to see. Passport looks fantastic.
    Remember that certain customers don't look for innovation. Maybe the Q10 didn't sell because the swipe motion was too innovative for the simple minded.
    06-21-14 12:57 AM
    Attachment 279120
    There is... something... there... and I must knoooooowwwwwww!!!!!! lol
    I need this wallpaper

Posted via Q10Bold
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-21-14 01:06 AM
    Remember that certain customers don't look for innovation. Maybe the Q10 didn't sell because the swipe motion was too innovative for the simple minded.
    LMAO, nice try... Actually, it takes a simple mind to not realize that "new" doesn't automatically mean "better." Like I always say, if they say to replace your steering wheel in your car with a touchscreen pad where you swirl your finger on the screen to turn your car, would you do it? If you say no, you're clinging onto "old" technology, and you're simple-minded right?

Here's something else that simple minds might not have thought of. Changing the configuration of the keyboard could have detrimental effects on how you type on a traditional keyboard. Which no matter which way you slice it, you'll have to do at some point... I don't type by looking at where the keys are. I memorize where every key is in relation to each other. The new configuration on the Passport splits up the V and the B, and puts the corresponding letters underneath different letters than you're used to. Look at your PC keyboard. Particularly on the right side. P is to the upper right of the L, and M is half a key to the left and below the L, so it's actually below and to the left of the K. Now look at the Passport, the M is directly underneath the L and P... I know you can get used to that, but I don't feel the need or the desire to do that, especially since my keyboard at home isn't changing with it.

And here's something else a simple mind wouldn't grasp, doing more than one thing at once. On the Q10 keyboard, and on the PC keyboard at home, if I am typing out a sentence and I know a punctuation mark is coming soon, I reach for the shift key one letter prior on my PC and the alt key one letter prior on the Q10. So when it comes time to type the punctuation mark or symbol, all I need to do is hit the corresponding key. So in reality, typing a letter and a symbol is the same as typing two letters. Takes the same number of steps (since I'm doing two steps at once to get the shift/alt key depressed). On the Passport keyboard, it'll be just like it is on a virtual keyboard. Finish typing the last letter first, then swipe on the keyboard, then select the correct symbol. So now typing a letter and a symbol/punctuation mark, has become a 3 step process. This might not seem like a lot, but try doing that a lot of times if you're typing a lot, and have fun if you need multiple symbols/punctuation marks together in a row. Or maybe multiple capital letters in a row like in an acronym. What was "hold shift with one thumb and type the acronym with the other" becomes long pressing each and every letter...

Then there's the tool belt. Here's something a simple-minded person haven't considered. You are making a phone call, you have the phone to your ear. Because it's a touchscreen, you need the screen to deactivate while you have it up on your ear so you're not pressing things on the screen while chatting on your phone. This is accomplished via a proximity sensor, which is part of the "sensor array" in the Q10. It's on the top to the left of the ear-piece speaker. So you're on the phone, now you need to hang up the phone, you take the phone off your ear, now you stare at your phone like you're ******** because now you have to wait for the phone's proximity sensor to notice there's nothing close to it anymore. That sends a signal to the phone, then your OS registers that signal, then it turns the screen back on. Now you have to keep looking because you need to see where the "End Call" icon is so you can touch it, and you keep looking to make sure it gets pressed the first time around because sometimes it doesn't. And since I have my phone set to not hang up calls while holstered to allow for the use of headsets, I have to do this before I holster my phone. Now, I know what the simple minds are thinking right now "Oh, when the other person hangs up the call, doesn't it hang up automatically?" Why, yes, it does, but sometimes you want to hang up ON that person, or the call is with an automated system, in which, you need to hang up the call... I know, you're not simple minded so you didn't just think of that question while reading my hypothetical situation. But I assure you, some simple-minded person out there was asking that... Not you of course. ;-)

Then, let's get to an even worse situation. Speakerphone. Use your phone on speakerphone, and now what happens if you need to hang up. Since the proximity sensor wasn't used, the normal screen lock time-out applies. So now you have to UNLOCK your screen, put in your password if you use one (I do), and hopefully you didn't navigate away from the call screen during the call, because if you did, like I often do during phone calls, now you have to minimize whatever app you were last on, find the phone app active frame, touch that, THEN press the hang up icon.

Wow, those are some big paragraphs to describe the "simple" process of hanging up the phone. Now let me type out the long and grueling process of hanging up the phone if you had the tool-belt:
    Press the hang up button.

PHEW, man, that was a lot of typing, those 5 words took the wind out of me!!

And the amazing thing about that is, you can do that without ever even looking at your phone. From my ear, I can press the hangup button as I'm putting my phone away, all in one motion. From a speakerphone call, same thing, press the button as I'm putting the phone away...

Ooh, what about the answer call button? Hey, let me describe some crazy procedure we were able to do on legacy devices with a physical call button. If you want to call the last person you talked with, this is what you do. Put on your reading glasses, this will be harsh!:
    Press the answer button twice.

PHEW, wow, man, it really takes a simple-minded fool to want to shorten the process of calling the last person to that... Again, this can be done without even looking at the phone... With the Q10 and the Passport, you have to look at your phone, minimize whatever app you're on, touch the phone icon, then move your thumb up to the list and select the person on the top. Oh, but holy crap, what if you had the phone app open as an active frame and it was on a different function than the call log? Like the search contacts tab, or the dial pad tab?? Now, that process becomes, look at your phone, minimize your app, touch the phone icon, switch to the call log, then touch the top person on the list (hopefully you weren't looking at that list before and had scrolled down or something, then you'd need to add scroll back to the top to this list of steps).

Wow, it must take a really simple-minded person to believe that making a call or ending a call shouldn't require more than one or two steps to accomplish. I mean obviously we want to complicate everything as much as possible, that's how you become sophisticated. Accomplishing every-day tasks simply is for the simple-minded. I'm sure that's a saying by some really famous sophisticated person... Follow the K.I.S.S. principle guys, Keep It Sophisticated Simpleton. I'm 98.4% sure that's how that acronym goes... Oh, typing out that acronym took me like a quarter of a second since I had the shift key there. How long would that take if you were on the Passport and had to long press, swipe, press, long press, swipe, press, long press, swipe, press, and long press, swipe, press??

So have fun with that you super sophisticated person you. I'll wait for the Classic since my simple mind just can't comprehend the concept of not simplifying the things I do when the opportunity comes up...
    Mr4aces, jsong24, Giro_UK and 4 others like this.
    06-21-14 02:08 AM
    SIM + Micro SD
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-21-14 02:20 AM
    Although I don't see how BlackBerry 10 is gonna run on this device!
    Yeah, email John Chen and let him know.

Classic takes you back to 2007 with no design innovation. Sad to see.
    Sad to see? Oh please, it looks fantastic and nicely refined. The whole idea is it's supposed to be a classic style BlackBerry, like the Bold. The iPhone in all it's glory, looks much more like the same device from 2007.
    06-21-14 02:22 AM
    [QUOTE=SK122387;10496636]You're so right.

No spinning clock, no trackball that gets grimy after a month, no horrible camera.QUOTE]

Trackball on a 9900, really !!! Mine seems to have a track pad just like the Classic will have.

Now here is another odd thing, I have NEVER had a problem with the spinning clock on my Bold. Maybe it's what I use it for, basically a communications tool with no apps installed, but honestly, that is the way it is for me. I also use the BL Hybrid OS's which are a huge improvement over stock OS's and this is undoubtedly a factor too.

The Curved Keyboard is just so right for typing and is a huge feature of the "Classic" BB IMO.

As for charging points, it is just so convenient to drop the 9900 into the cradle on my desk and pick it up out of there without having to worry about disconnecting something.

Just personal preference, but it is those little things that make the bold a true classic to me.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-21-14 04:44 AM
    Thanks, I was unaware of those. :-)

I'm glad the Q10 never had them; that's where I usually grip my phone while swiping or typing with the other hand.

They're physical buttons on the side of Legacy devices. They could be programmed to launch any application you had installed. Usually for the Camera. Most had two, a left, and right side.

06-21-14 04:56 AM
    Blackberry should have chose 1mobile market. They have way more apps than Amazon's app store
    It is much dodgier looking site though, for the most consumers, Amazon is a much safer name and partner.
    06-21-14 05:02 AM
    The Curved Keyboard is just so right for typing and is a huge feature of the "Classic" BB IMO.

As for charging points, it is just so convenient to drop the 9900 into the cradle on my desk and pick it up out of there without having to worry about disconnecting something.
    The thing that is classic about any BB keyboard is that they are great to type on, getting hung up on whether it is curved or not is just silly really.

I think we can see how popular charging cradles actually were when they vanished from all models in the move to bb10, BB will have the exact numbers on how many or more likely how few people actually bought one. For this new model, there is more chance of being one of the wireless charging standards than there would be charging contacts.
    06-21-14 05:14 AM
    If I was after a keyboard model this would be great, however most buyers are going to pick up a demo unit in stores and think that this is just like my 7 year old blackberry..... It's going to do all right if companies roll them out to employees but I think it will struggle in retail, I'm not even sure it will be stocked to be honest.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    06-21-14 05:22 AM
    I hope this does have the convenience keys, it was definitely something I have missed since moving from my Bold 9700 to the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 05:30 AM
    I love how instead of the 'phone' icon at the bottom left corner (which is no longer needed due to the tool belt), it has what I imagine is a 'hub' shortcut. Nice to see at least one example of how BB10 is being tailored for the tool belt.
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-21-14 09:00 AM
    Blackberry should have chose 1mobile market. They have way more apps than Amazon's app store
    And many of them are pirated and many others are virus/malware infected. People like to talk about how Android has most of the malware, and that's technically true, but almost all of it comes from sources other than the Play Store (or Amazon Market). 1Market is wide open, and no one is checking anything there, so you have no idea what you are putting on your phone if you are getting apps from there, and that's just as true for those who use 1Market on an Android phone.

There's no way BB or any corporation looking for any respect would ever partner with 1Market or any other Chinese or Russian apps store. They are hackers' havens.
    DYLANHABKIRK and JGoodard like this.
    06-21-14 01:16 PM
    Thanks, I was unaware of those. :-)

I'm glad the Q10 never had them; that's where I usually grip my phone while swiping or typing with the other hand.

You say that because you've never had a phone with them. They were the best things ever... When I had the Bold 9000, it had 2 convenience keys. One launched the camera when I pressed it, and acted as a shutter button when the camera app was open. So I could quickly snap photos. The other button was set to "compose" so whenever I needed to send a text I simply clicked the button, picked a contact, and I was off with a running start. (It'll automatically pick the last used form of contact for that individual unless you specify otherwise)

The Bold 9900 only had one, and now the Q10 has none. I kind of wish since they tout gestures so much, that they will have like customizable gestures that could launch apps or perform functions... Kind of like a software convenience key...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    SK122387 and ocriblecoblis like this.
    06-21-14 01:32 PM
    If I was after a keyboard model this would be great, however most buyers are going to pick up a demo unit in stores and think that this is just like my 7 year old blackberry..... It's going to do all right if companies roll them out to employees but I think it will struggle in retail, I'm not even sure it will be stocked to be honest.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    Don't fool yourself. Most people walk right past the BB display the moment they see it's BB since it's "uncool" and will never try one, but they'll talk crap about them anyway.

DYLANHABKIRK and SK122387 like this.
    06-21-14 01:35 PM
    [QUOTE=Legal Eagle;10499541]
    You're so right.

No spinning clock, no trackball that gets grimy after a month, no horrible camera.QUOTE]

Trackball on a 9900, really !!! Mine seems to have a track pad just like the Classic will have.

Now here is another odd thing, I have NEVER had a problem with the spinning clock on my Bold. Maybe it's what I use it for, basically a communications tool with no apps installed, but honestly, that is the way it is for me. I also use the BL Hybrid OS's which are a huge improvement over stock OS's and this is undoubtedly a factor too.

Just personal preference, but it is those little things that make the bold a true classic to me.

The Classic isn't just a throwback to the 9900 that I'm aware of.. the Bold 9000 was the BlackBerry that was their first major flagship device, and the Classic is called the classic because of that tool belt, which included that trackball (original or "Atomic) for many years.

I didn't have any issues on my Bold with the spinning clock either, and I always ran the latest leak, but if you came to these threads during the 9900's glory days, you would have seen post after post of people complaining about the clock and doing battery pulls. People who began using their 9900's and other Legacy devices like iPhones and Androids (taking tons of pictures, videos, downloading a bunch of apps) saw their phones turn into laggy, frustrating devices, and that spinning black clock became an infamous symbol of BlackBerry's problems. Spinning clock? Battery pull! BlackBerry users knew this as normal.

The curved keyboard is probably gone forever. The previous CEO had some research showing that it's better or more efficient or ergonomically sound to have it straight. I didn't like the straight keyboard at first, but I adapted and have accepted that the curved keyboards are a thing of the past.
    06-21-14 04:48 PM
    You say that because you've never had a phone with them. They were the best things ever... When I had the Bold 9000, it had 2 convenience keys. One launched the camera when I pressed it, and acted as a shutter button when the camera app was open. So I could quickly snap photos. The other button was set to "compose" so whenever I needed to send a text I simply clicked the button, picked a contact, and I was off with a running start. (It'll automatically pick the last used form of contact for that individual unless you specify otherwise)

The Bold 9900 only had one, and now the Q10 has none. I kind of wish since they tout gestures so much, that they will have like customizable gestures that could launch apps or perform functions... Kind of like a software convenience key...

I was so used to the two convenience keys.. on my Pearl, 8800, 8820, 8320, all the way up until the 9900.. when they reduced it to ONE.

BBM was always my left, camera was right.

So camera just was my right one on the 9900.. and then the Z10 came along and NO convenience keys. I miss the Convenience keys so much. It was weird to have the Q10 with no convenience keys... because every single traditional form factor BlackBerry had at least one convenience key. I miss them. I don't like having USEFUL features being taken.
    ocriblecoblis and JGoodard like this.
    06-21-14 04:56 PM
    Looks a lot like a flap covering the SD & Sim card slot.. it doesn't look like this phone will have a removable battery IMO.

Posted via SQN100-3
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    06-21-14 05:12 PM
    As one who has clumsy hands, I have a real love-hate relationship with my Q10. I love its performance, and I hate the gesture-based interface. An eighth of an inch is the difference between, say, dismissing an app and maximizing it. It's ANNOYING. And if I have my finger too low, a peek at the Hub becomes zooming all the way to my last page of apps. The basic problem with the Q10 is that it demands my full attention when I'm using it.

I look forward to the Classic and the return of the tool belt, because I will be able to go back to learned sequences of button pushes that don't require 100% of my attention.

The Passport looks to be an awesome device, but it is clearly not conducive to two-hand typing, unless most of the phone's weight sits under the keyboard (which is unlikely). It would be a useful second device, but as a daily driver it would give me hand cramps.

All in all, I think BlackBerry is back on the road to relevance and viability, now that they've finally figured out who their core users are.
    06-21-14 05:13 PM
    I can see that they were useful to many of you, and I'd probably like them myself after a while. If I had my choice of convenience buttons, I'd probably be interested in one that could be programmed. I'd make a snooze button out of it!

06-23-14 02:14 AM
    I can see that they were useful to many of you, and I'd probably like them myself after a while. If I had my choice of convenience buttons, I'd probably be interested in one that could be programmed. I'd make a snooze button out of it!

They were programmable. That's what made them convenient! ;-)

Ragbert likes this.
    06-23-14 03:06 PM
    slagman5...you are a classic.

I love the "thinking outside the box" concept of the Passport...and hope that it starts a new trend that allows BlackBerry to move higher up the mountain.

That said, there is no denying that the mist efficient phone BlackBerry will ever make is a Classic device.

I use a Z10 now. Went from a Bold 9650. No comparison...physical keys with shift is much better...but I love the extra screen space. With the 3.5" Classic, it will be a tough phone to say no to.

I will likely inspect both phones at the Verizon store around Thanksgiving. Passport looks to be a fun device. If it ends up not being what I am looking for, I will more than likely join Team Slag.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 10:52 PM
    Ahaaaaaaa! :-D

They were programmable. That's what made them convenient! ;-)

06-24-14 12:02 PM
102 12345