So my new years resolution is to use the Classic as my mobile device for an entire year, 2019, replacing a three year used Motorola Moto X Play.

All I care about is email, calls, SMS, google calendar sync, alarm clock and twitter. I don't use anything else.

Looks like will easily get me through 2019 ))))

My only concern is battery life, I need 12 hours uptime with 2-3 hours of being on the phone making/receiving calls (sometimes more, more often much less).

Chose this over the Passport even though I had the choice of both. Was far easier to hold and use.
    12-21-18 03:44 PM
    Well, I do wish you the best of luck. You just made 2019 a little bit harder than it should for you.
    Byrese, jas1978 and illsince1977 like this.
    12-21-18 03:58 PM
    Well, perhaps!

As this is a new device I'll see if it can get me through a day on battery, and if so, and email works OK and the calls have no problems can't see any downside.

On my Moto X Play (a superb phone, but battery now very poor after three years heavy use) was just using phone, SMS and e-mail as well as twitter, nothing else.

But got fed up with battery lasting just about a day, and the virtual keyboard was horrible - I always made mistakes (esp on the edges) so I thought this will be the ideal replacement.

All I care about is twitter as an extra application, nothing else at all, don't even wish for a browser.

Having Twitter in the hub is absolutely phenomenal for me.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    12-21-18 05:55 PM
    Only thing to be aware of is BB10 twitter is limited to 140 characters and doesn’t always display tweets fully.
    12-21-18 06:32 PM
    Ya. Twitter is a bit of a mess on BB10.

A couple of decent 3rd party apps are no longer working correctly either.
    12-21-18 07:32 PM
    I have been testing out the Classic, purchased used it looks almost new so I suspect has had very little use.

Battery is lasting me (with WIFI always on and a 4G signal) playing around for a few hours still at 65% after 24 hrs, so should easily power me throughout the day.

Thanks for the twitter advice.. have been using the twitter app and it is quite usable, certainly can live with it.

Saw something called "evernote" so started using it to store notes in the cloud... very neat! (I have used OneNote in the past).
    12-22-18 03:20 PM
    Be aware that Evernote stopped supporting BB10 over a year ago. It no longer syncs to the Remember app (which was a fantastic combo) and you'll have trouble seeing items you uploaded from other devices (desktop, web, etc) via your Classic. That said, Evernote is really handy for quick cloud storage, but don't expect it to sync well in BB10 anymore.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    12-22-18 06:35 PM
    Ya. Twitter is a bit of a mess on BB10.

A couple of decent 3rd party apps are no longer working correctly either.
    Other than the 140 char limit, how so?

Posted via CB10
    12-23-18 01:15 PM
    Update:

1. Evernote seems to sync OK for me with my desktop entered notes, at least for now!

2. Battery is at 50% after two days fairly light use (a few hours playing), nowhere near as good as my old 9900

3. I have used the browser briefly and it worked really well, even fully compatible with local hotspot (such as Starbucks) logins via a web page... 9900 completely failed this so couldn't use hotspots. In browsing news sites (BBC for example) it worked really smooth, fast and very usable.

4. I got a strange look today when I got out my "Classic".... person obviously thought I was weird.... I got the same looks with the 9900....

5. Not being tied to BIS is actually great. BIS was good, but I was waiting/scared always for my carrier to stop supporting it... also when roaming it didn't work and my carrier weren't interested in helping me. Classic email I don't think is push... BIS email was so good it came within seconds of being sent.... often 1-2s...

I should add I have previously used a 9900 for five years as well as my "work" phone - this was given to me by Alec Saunders (former RIM developer relations) in 2012 and was my faithful companion around the world... the only time I truly hated it was when I started the map app in Moldova (small Eastern European Country) back in 2016 and it came up with.... *ONE* road for the whole country ))) It was just a squiggly line... hahaha... I arrived at the bar very late!!!!

Anyway the Moto X Play and 9900 served me well... one year with the Classic here I come.

Will update this thread after I return to Moscow from a year in the UK with the Classic (December 2019!) and tell you how it went!
    Last edited by edikat; 12-23-18 at 05:52 PM.
    12-23-18 05:41 PM
    Classic email I don't think is push
    Yes, it can be. Settings/Accounts/select email account/advanced/toggle Push to on. This is also where you can set the sync timeframe and set other parameters.
    12-23-18 06:07 PM
    Dump the Classic, get the KEY2 LE
    12-24-18 09:39 AM
    So my new years resolution is to use the Classic as my mobile device for an entire year, 2019, replacing a three year used Motorola Moto X Play.

All I care about is email, calls, SMS, google calendar sync, alarm clock and twitter. I don't use anything else.

Looks like will easily get me through 2019 ))))

My only concern is battery life, I need 12 hours uptime with 2-3 hours of being on the phone making/receiving calls (sometimes more, more often much less).

Chose this over the Passport even though I had the choice of both. Was far easier to hold and use.
    As it happens, I have also decided to make the most of the remaining usefulness of BB10 in 2019 by using a Classic. I'm also considering a Passport as a backup.

All you naysayers out there - I am perfectly aware of the limited and declining functions of BB10, and I accept that I will not have the same experience as on Android or iOS. I'm ok with that.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-18 10:51 AM
    You have my full support. I'm trying to do the same thing.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-18 10:18 AM
    You just couldn't resist, could you?

Posted via CB10
    12-25-18 10:27 AM
    I plan to use my second Classic until it serves me as well as it does now. To my needs the device and the OS are super usable!
    It's my main phone, and I carry an Android slab in my bag, for the very rare occasion, when I need some app or my browser can't cope... I love how this phone handles phone calls, sms and mail and that's essentialy what I need anyway.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-18 10:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Price-wise and performance-wise, I almost said the same thing. Without carrier support, AT&T KEYone is my last everyday BBMo/TCL device since I rely on WFC and VoLTE features now. I dual carry an AT&T iPhone XR so I’m covered but it does offer dual eSIM for both lines. I will consider Key2 LE as WiFi only device or for emergency T-Mobile line if AT&T network coverage issue. There’s a Z3 and Q5 in a tech bag in my truck for that reason.
    hazmaju likes this.
    12-25-18 10:34 AM
    Why? I got KEY2 LE is just for back up sir..hehehe

Sent from my Secure BlackBerry Classic
    hazmaju likes this.
    12-25-18 05:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    I really couldnt...

The KEY2 LE is just so much more of a smartphone than the Classic ever was.
    And I’ve owned several Classics.
    Slow as snail, terrible battery life with anything Android running..
    Very ergonomic and comfortable to type on though
    12-25-18 06:54 PM
    I really couldnt...

Slow as ESCARGOT, terrible battery life with anything Android running..
    Fixed that for you.... it’s a SOBE thing
    the_boon and hazmaju like this.
    12-25-18 08:01 PM
    I really couldnt...

Slow as snail, terrible battery life with anything Android running..
    I own two and really don't share your experience. I agree that Key is so much more of a smartphone, but neither of my Classics are slow by any means (don't use any Android apps)... My battery life is really good, and I talk about two hours daily.
    And it's a matter of preference, of course, so for me BB10 until it's possible. I was on Android long before I first tried BB10 and own several devices.
    I don't mind when you enlighten someone on the matter of usability of BB10 and Classic, but that is not what you usually do. You just need to trash it and the users, whenever you can, that's what I mind. Cheers
    12-26-18 12:07 AM
    I own two and really don't share your experience. I agree that Key is so much more of a smartphone, but neither of my Classics are slow by any means (don't use any Android apps)... My battery life is really good, and I talk about two hours daily.
    And it's a matter of preference, of course, so for me BB10 until it's possible. I was on Android long before I first tried BB10 and own several devices.
    I don't mind when you enlighten someone on the matter of usability of BB10 and Classic, but that is not what you usually do. You just need to trash it and the users, whenever you can, that's what I mind. Cheers
    I own two Classics also and I'm not seeing the battery or performance issues the_boon is referring to and I'm also using Andriod apps, one that TrumpetTiger (a very helpful contributor to this forum and a credit to CB Forums) managed to get working - he did so by stripping out the Google Play Services requirement from an earlier app (using Cobalt's stuff) and it works nicely. Whatever the_boon's stated goal is, I can assure him he is getting quite the opposite result. Other than "buy a Key2" and continually trashing posters I don't see what the_boon adds to this forum other than irritating those who believe in the brand. I think we all understand and hope BBMo's new devices sell well, and most of us intend to support the brand however way, but pushing in the manner he does is not wise.
    12-26-18 01:27 PM
    I own two Classics also and I'm not seeing the battery or performance issues the_boon is referring to and I'm also using Andriod apps, one that TrumpetTiger (a very helpful contributor to this forum and a credit to CB Forums) managed to get working - he did so by stripping out the Google Play Services requirement from an earlier app (using Cobalt's stuff) and it works nicely. Whatever the_boon's stated goal is, I can assure him he is getting quite the opposite result. Other than "buy a Key2" and continually trashing posters I don't see what the_boon adds to this forum other than irritating those who believe in the brand. I think we all understand and hope BBMo's new devices sell well, and most of us intend to support the brand however way, but pushing in the manner he does is not wise.
    Let me be clear, again:

You can buy every single BB10 on the planet, it won’t make a single dollar for TCL/BBMo, y’know, the only ones who are giving us a keyboard while ALL the other manufacturers are busy copying off Apple/each other.

Buying a single brand new KEY2/LE from an official retailer actually DOES help the brand somewhat.

What will you Classic holdouts do when 01/01/20 comes around ? Whine that there aren’t ANY options of a PKB or be mashing out messages on your KEY2/LE or hopefully KEY3 ?

The BB10 devices WILL stop functioning sooner than later, and the KEY devices are the only way out from being stuck with a boring a** piece of glass.

That’s why I push hard for the KEY2 LE.

I owned 5 different Classics, one of them the Cobalt blue. I tried double carrying it along with a Priv to see what it was like, and I didn’t last 2 full days.
    Went right back to the Priv which seemed like a powerhouse AND endurance workhorse in comparison.

The Classic’s battery life deceived me on all my units for a phone with a battery of 2500mAh and a tiny a** 3.5” display.

let me be very clear, the Classic today is between a smartphone and a feature phone, and its getting closer to feature phone every day. Except, it doesn’t have the insane battery life of a feature phone. And it doesn’t have the app or power of a modern smartphone. So its just kind of in an awkward spot lol.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-26-18 02:53 PM
    If you haven’t bought a BBMo phone by now and have bought old BB instead of new BBMo, you don’t believe in the brand...... you’ve made a conscious purchase to not support the BBMo hardware..... Think about it, or better yet, explain how purchasing old hardware does anything for BB or better yet, BBMo....
    12-26-18 04:13 PM
    Let me be clear, again:

You can buy every single BB10 on the planet, it won’t make a single dollar for TCL/BBMo, y’know, the only ones who are giving us a keyboard while ALL the other manufacturers are busy copying off Apple/each other.

Buying a single brand new KEY2/LE from an official retailer actually DOES help the brand somewhat.

What will you Classic holdouts do when 01/01/20 comes around ? Whine that there aren’t ANY options of a PKB or be mashing out messages on your KEY2/LE or hopefully KEY3 ?

The BB10 devices WILL stop functioning sooner than later, and the KEY devices are the only way out from being stuck with a boring a** piece of glass.

That’s why I push hard for the KEY2 LE.

I owned 5 different Classics, one of them the Cobalt blue. I tried double carrying it along with a Priv to see what it was like, and I didn’t last 2 full days.
    Went right back to the Priv which seemed like a powerhouse AND endurance workhorse in comparison.

The Classic’s battery life deceived me on all my units for a phone with a battery of 2500mAh and a tiny a** 3.5” display.

let me be very clear, the Classic today is between a smartphone and a feature phone, and its getting closer to feature phone every day. Except, it doesn’t have the insane battery life of a feature phone. And it doesn’t have the app or power of a modern smartphone. So its just kind of in an awkward spot lol.
    Let me be very clear: no one in this thread is under any illusions that the Classic is a smartphone as you define it, and no one in this thread sees a BB10 device as an acceptable alternative to the hypermodern, application-centric, designed-to-addict smartphone experience offered by Android and Apple.

I will say no more.

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 and Naeemsana like this.
    12-26-18 04:19 PM
    I owned 5 different Classics, one of them the Cobalt blue.
    There's an apparent contradiction here, if the Classic was such a bad experience or such a bad device why would you own so many? I own two and I love the device (its an incredible device still going strong into 2019) but I wouldn't think of owning five?! Holy! Sure someone can own many and you often see lots of 10-20 sold on ebay (by vendors to vendors) but if the device wasn't worth having? And once again, of course the Key2 is a more modern device (you can't compare a Classic to a Key2, that's foolish), but given how many people prefer BB10 (at least in this forum that's dedicated to the Classic and BB10 OS) over Android, I'll ride the good-ship BB10 until its departure 31-12-2019 or possibly longer.
    Last edited by bb9900user2018; 12-26-18 at 06:58 PM.
    12-26-18 06:15 PM
73 123