Update:

1. Evernote seems to sync OK for me with my desktop entered notes, at least for now!

2. Battery is at 50% after two days fairly light use (a few hours playing), nowhere near as good as my old 9900

3. I have used the browser briefly and it worked really well, even fully compatible with local hotspot (such as Starbucks) logins via a web page... 9900 completely failed this so couldn't use hotspots. In browsing news sites (BBC for example) it worked really smooth, fast and very usable.

4. I got a strange look today when I got out my "Classic".... person obviously thought I was weird.... I got the same looks with the 9900....

5. Not being tied to BIS is actually great. BIS was good, but I was waiting/scared always for my carrier to stop supporting it... also when roaming it didn't work and my carrier weren't interested in helping me. Classic email I don't think is push... BIS email was so good it came within seconds of being sent.... often 1-2s...

I should add I have previously used a 9900 for five years as well as my "work" phone - this was given to me by Alec Saunders (former RIM developer relations) in 2012 and was my faithful companion around the world... the only time I truly hated it was when I started the map app in Moldova (small Eastern European Country) back in 2016 and it came up with.... *ONE* road for the whole country ))) It was just a squiggly line... hahaha... I arrived at the bar very late!!!!

Anyway the Moto X Play and 9900 served me well... one year with the Classic here I come.

Will update this thread after I return to Moscow from a year in the UK with the Classic (December 2019!) and tell you how it went!
    Would love to hear the whole Story @ the End of the year!!

Cheers,

Tim

Posted via CB10
    01-17-19 12:47 PM
    Boon, I realize you have your point of view and I have mine. However, since many lurk in these forums, let me be clear, again:

There is not a single shred of evidence to suggest that BB10 devices will stop functioning at any point, much less at the stroke of midnight on 1/1/2020. Blackberry World will shut down at that time, but that is all we know.

If people wish to go to GooBerrys, that is of course their decision. However, trying to suggest that supporting Blackberry Mobile will assist in that regard is disingenuous at best. BBMo sold 850,000 KEY1 devices in 2017. Blackberry Limited sold 2.5 million BB10 devices. The same folks who push BBMo are the ones who claim BB10 was either a dismal failure due to sales numbers or, in one case, was never going to work no matter what Blackberry Limited did.

Do the math and make your choices, but the only people whose purchases "support Blackberry" financially these days are those who buy QNX-based software and IoT security software. Brandwise, I'd add to that the remnant of us who use and promote Blackberry 10....but I digress.
    So true mane!! Couldnt have said it better.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-19 12:56 PM
    Boon, I realize you have your point of view and I have mine. However, since many lurk in these forums, let me be clear, again:

There is not a single shred of evidence to suggest that BB10 devices will stop functioning at any point, much less at the stroke of midnight on 1/1/2020. Blackberry World will shut down at that time, but that is all we know.

If people wish to go to GooBerrys, that is of course their decision. However, trying to suggest that supporting Blackberry Mobile will assist in that regard is disingenuous at best. BBMo sold 850,000 KEY1 devices in 2017. Blackberry Limited sold 2.5 million BB10 devices. The same folks who push BBMo are the ones who claim BB10 was either a dismal failure due to sales numbers or, in one case, was never going to work no matter what Blackberry Limited did.

Do the math and make your choices, but the only people whose purchases "support Blackberry" financially these days are those who buy QNX-based software and IoT security software. Brandwise, I'd add to that the remnant of us who use and promote Blackberry 10....but I digress.
    So true mane!! Couldnt have said it better.

Posted via CB10
    @the_boon 's post wasn't about supporting BlackBerry - it was about supporting the future of the physical keyboard.

Right now, BBMo is the only game in town, and if they don't move sufficient product, the pkb will be no more. I don't think that's in anyone's best interest - either current or future (ex-BB10) customers.

If you choose to dig your heels in for another year to hold on to BB10, you may be doing so at your own peril - assuming the pkb means something to you. The couple/few hundred thousand remaining BB10 users can make an impact.
    Last edited by conite; 01-17-19 at 01:26 PM.
    01-17-19 01:05 PM
    @the_boon 's post wasn't about supporting BlackBerry - it was about supporting the future of the physical keyboard.

Right now, BBMo is the only game in town, and if they don't move sufficient product, the pkb will be no more. I don't think that's in anyone's best interest - either current or future (ex-BB10) customers.

If you choose to dig your heels in for another year to hold on to BB10, you may be doing so at your own peril - assuming the pkb means something to you. The couple hundred thousand remaining BB10 users can make an impact.
    Bloody mindedness is a great way to persuade them. When Crackberry turned on its own roots, those pesky BB10 users dumped their old devices and... oh wait... they didn't.
    01-17-19 01:27 PM
    Bloody mindedness is a great way to persuade them. When Crackberry turned on its own roots, those pesky BB10 users dumped their old devices and... oh wait... they didn't.
    Crackberry turned on its roots? That's a strange way of putting it.

How long would you want to keep reporting on BB10 and BBOS? The last of those devices launched 4 years ago. What else did you want to know about them?
    Last edited by conite; 01-17-19 at 01:44 PM.
    01-17-19 01:30 PM
    I’m confused.. people complain that CB is too intertwined with BB or not intertwined with BB enough in the same thread.
    01-17-19 03:40 PM
    I’m confused.. people complain that CB is too intertwined with BB or not intertwined with BB enough in the same thread.
    I would submit that people are complaining that Crackberry is too intertwined with Blackberry Mobile, which makes GooBerrys, and not intertwined enough with the users of devices made by Blackberry Limited. There's evidence for such a complaint.
    01-17-19 04:20 PM

If you choose to dig your heels in for another year to hold on to BB10, you may be doing so at your own peril - assuming the pkb means something to you. The couple/few hundred thousand remaining BB10 users can make an impact.
    conite, didn't you say in the thread where we beat this horse to death that BBMo's sales trends are going up by their own assertion? I believe the phrase double-digit growth was used....

So if they are experiencing double-digit growth--presumably not all from people coming from BB10 users who have switched--and there are only a few hundred thousand of us remaining, how does our switching to GooBerrys make a difference to the bottom line of a company experiencing such an amazing growth spurt?
    01-17-19 04:22 PM
    conite, didn't you say in the thread where we beat this horse to death that BBMo's sales trends are going up by their own assertion? I believe the phrase double-digit growth was used....

So if they are experiencing double-digit growth--presumably not all from people coming from BB10 users who have switched--and there are only a few hundred thousand of us remaining, how does our switching to GooBerrys make a difference to the bottom line of a company experiencing such an amazing growth spurt?
    I didn't say it was amazing - only that it was double-digit growth and therefore trending up.

But a few hundred thousand more recurring customers could seal the deal.
    01-17-19 04:27 PM
    I didn't say it was amazing - only that it was double-digit growth and therefore trending up.

But a few hundred thousand more recurring customers could seal the deal.
    So then Blackberry Mobile is in need of these customers to seal the deal and solidify its branding? Doesn't that imply that it is weaker now and needs such reinforcement?

In other words, without the addition of the few hundred thousand BB10 users, and allowing for the moment your characterization of their sales, do you believe that BBMobile will continue to trend up and grow, or are those BB10 users necessary (not helpful, but necessary) for BBMobile's continued economic viability?
    01-17-19 04:38 PM
    So then Blackberry Mobile is in need of these customers to seal the deal and solidify its branding? Doesn't that imply that it is weaker now and needs such reinforcement?

In other words, without the addition of the few hundred thousand BB10 users, and allowing for the moment your characterization of their sales, do you believe that BBMobile will continue to trend up and grow, or are those BB10 users necessary (not helpful, but necessary) for BBMobile's continued economic viability?
    I don't know how important BB10 users are to BBMo. My point is that, for your own selfish reasons, you may wish to support them. The physical keyboard market is not massive, so every bit counts.
    01-17-19 04:54 PM
    I don't know how important BB10 users are to BBMo. My point is that, for your own selfish reasons, you may wish to support them. The physical keyboard market is not massive, so every bit counts.
    wrong reply
    01-17-19 06:41 PM

Only BB10 users or BBOS users that care about PKB matter to BBMo and then add former users that liked PKB but preferred Android ecosystem so they left.
    BBMo will take anyone’s money for a PKB regardless of where they come from. Holdouts to PKB don’t have the opposite leverage.
    01-17-19 06:42 PM
    I would submit that people are complaining that Crackberry is too intertwined with Blackberry Mobile, which makes GooBerrys, and not intertwined enough with the users of devices made by Blackberry Limited. There's evidence for such a complaint.

CrackBerry writes articles of relevance about BB Ltd and BBMo regarding BBAndroid current. Writing about BB10 regarding EOS and EOL is what’s left from their perspective. It’s the same as it would be anywhere else.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-17-19 06:45 PM
    I had a cha-cha, or HTC status as they were called in the US. Great concept, but severely hampered by 512MB of on-board storage. Regarding the posters initial post. I think it's great that they are trying to go 12 months on just BB10. I have a keyone and I am currently using a classic as my second device. I keep coming back to the classic because I don't use it as a phone, last time I had used the classic solely was early 2018. It worked fine and I was even able to get it to work with my pebble watch. I wish the poster well and hope he's able to go the whole year by just using the classic.
    05-18-19 03:25 PM
    Cheers! I also use my classic (for about a month), which replaced my Z30, which came after my Passport and I also use a Lumia 930 as well.
    Well, I can do everything I need with it (even a small video or youtube from time to time). Excellent build quality and the trackpad is great to use with one hand. Key2 seems very nice but the option to use android terrifies me... I haven't used one since 2016 (LG G3).
    Have a nice day!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-19 05:37 PM
    Yes I totally agree with you. I've always been a die hard fan and user of the BlackBerry and I just got the Classic as well which in my opinion is way so much better than the Q10 I was using a few years back. I am also fully aware that I am limited on some things but it's perfectly fine with me. I have an iphone as my main phone but wanted my old pal BlackBerry with me because I would never get bored of the keypad that BlackBerry is notorious for! This BlackBerry Classic is super great with work stuff (my emails, texts, phones, etc.) I think I just gave yall a review and usage of my blackberry! Anyways follow me on BBM 33613D44 Male/NYC/22 gay add me guys only

Posted via CB10
    06-11-19 02:50 PM
    BlackBerry Classic is great

Posted via CB10
    06-16-19 06:46 PM
    OK, so as the thread starter I have now used the Classic exclusively for 1.7 years ))) And it's still going strong.

I noticed somebody mentioned a year or so ago:

Be aware that Evernote stopped supporting BB10 over a year ago. It no longer syncs to the Remember app (which was a fantastic combo) and you'll have trouble seeing items you uploaded from other devices (desktop, web, etc) via your Classic. That said, Evernote is really handy for quick cloud storage, but don't expect it to sync well in BB10 anymore.
    But evernote is syncing fine for me in the Remember app Late July 2020 !!!

DId they turn this back on or something?
    07-30-20 11:47 AM
    OK, so as the thread starter I have now used the Classic exclusively for 1.7 years ))) And it's still going strong.

I noticed somebody mentioned a year or so ago:

But evernote is syncing fine for me in the Remember app Late July 2020 !!!

DId they turn this back on or something?
    The Evernote app has been discontinued, but the infrastructure still seems to be left on.
    07-30-20 01:52 PM
    The Evernote app has been discontinued, but the infrastructure still seems to be left on.
    In other words... Use it all you want, just make sure the data is backed up.
    07-30-20 01:57 PM
    Many thanks, this is very useful to sync voice notes on the move with my desktop. One of the last few third-party apps (if not the last?) that still works!
    07-30-20 04:54 PM
    I still use the classic as my primary device even though my samsung is much better.
    Classic is less distracting, a few mins on an android and I'm looking at every app I dont need in the store.. fun but distracting.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-05-20 11:11 AM
73 123