Most people use Whatsapp so that's why you use it to be able to communicate with others who might not have SMS free and also to be able with people in other countries

Posted via CB10
    Don't think you can really say that Most People use WhatsApp.... lot of people, sure. But with an active userbase of just over 1 Billion, that leaves the majority of the worlds population, or even the mobile user population, not using WhatsApp.

So just WhatsApp pulling out will not be the end of the World for all BlackBerry users. But the general decline of the app market, lack of develpment of LINK/BLEND, lack of compatibility with other major business applications, lack of Browser updates to keep current with security requirements..... and the general age of the devcies.. will all contribute to the erosion of the BB10 userbase.
    bigjman likes this.
    10-17-16 07:20 AM
    Doesn't the Android version of WhatsApp still work on BB10? xD
    10-17-16 08:27 AM
    Don't think you can really say that Most People use WhatsApp.... lot of people, sure. But with an active userbase of just over 1 Billion, that leaves the majority of the worlds population, or even the mobile user population, not using WhatsApp.
    I think maybe he means "most people they know" which is the case for me as well. I only have one person who uses BBM from an android phone and she probably only does that because we both had BlackBerry until she switched before I did and used it while I was still using my 9700.
    Few use sms still. WhatsApp is the choice where I am.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-17-16 09:42 AM
    I think maybe he means "most people they know" which is the case for me as well. I only have one person who uses BBM from an android phone and she probably only does that because we both had BlackBerry until she switched before I did and used it while I was still using my 9700.
    Few use sms still. WhatsApp is the choice where I am.

I know they he probably didn't mean that.... we all live in different markets.

Here where I live in the US.... most have gone back to SMS/MMS as it's pretty much free within this market. Do have a few people I know that have friends outside the US market, and thus they need a way to communicate that goes beyond SMS - WhatsApp or Facetime/iMessage seem to be the default choices. The big thing I have noticed is that most everyone I know.... has a iDevice Tablet or Phone. And that Apples integration of iMessage and SMS has really helped push the sales of iDevices. People don't realize they are using an IM, but they do see the benefits of features like delivery/read/typing notifications.

But I know other markets don't see much iDevcie usages, other markets don't have free SMS or it a much more limited coverage.
    10-17-16 09:57 AM

So just WhatsApp pulling out will not be the end of the World for all BlackBerry users. But the general decline of the app market, lack of develpment of LINK/BLEND, lack of compatibility with other major business applications, lack of Browser updates to keep current with security requirements..... and the general age of the devcies.. will all contribute to the erosion of the BB10 userbase.
    The point I am making is that despite not the majority of people on the earth are using it but many of the western countries use primarily Whatsapp so it doesn't matter to those people whether in some Asian countries other im apps are dominant

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 10:29 AM
    Still using a Classic, and just purchased a Passport SE (for the improved display, keyboard and speakers).

I'm probably in the minority in the sense that I keep my personal phone (Galaxy S5) and work phone (Classic) isolated. My line of work has no need for social media consumption / participation, and no need for Whatsapp. Also, over the years since I started my career, I've gotten used to isolate my usage pattern separated between personal and work. For this reason, BB OS 10 serves my work requirement without issue. Also, "OS 10.3.2 for smartphones have achieved STIG approval from the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) for use at the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)." from here means the OS is perfectly acceptable for my work. (Granted, this has been certified for LG and Samsung Android 5 and 6 as well).

In short, the lack of Whatsapp doesn't exclude BB phones for me. The STIG approval includes BB phones (Classic and Passport) on my device selection list.
    10-17-16 11:59 AM
    It's funny. I don't use many social apps,but those have stopped supporting BB10. True there are workarounds, but with health declining and demands on my time increasing I just don't have time to deal with workarounds. I'm glad the Mercury will be out soon. I'll have to jump to that. I'd really rather keep my Classic, though.

10-17-16 04:27 PM
    Actually, given that the worldwide smartphone userbase is only about 2B, any app that has over 1B users would qualify as being used by "most smartphone users".

That also speaks to the main reason WA is valuable: the network effect. When so many people you personally know are using a system of communication, it's going to be of value to you (or, at least, to most people). That's especially true in countries that don't give unlimited SMS/MMS (much less INTERNATIONAL SMS/MMS). In many countries, WA is the hub of their businesses and social lives - much like BBM used to be.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and blackmass like this.
    10-17-16 08:07 PM
    I had the Passport for quite awhile and then picked up the LG G5 to try but ive found myself really missing BB10 so I've decided to pick up a Classic as it's such s beautiful phone.

I'm thinking I'll likely use both phones and just tether to the other.

10-17-16 10:26 PM
    Still cruising and doing what I need it to do :-)

Classic for work, Z30 for everything else...
    10-18-16 05:12 AM
    Os 10has become absolete no matter how cool it is. here's to hoping the priv won't be absolete as fast as the classic became for me

Posted via CB10
    10-18-16 04:52 PM
    I don't think it's obsolete in any way shape or form. It all depends on each person's usage of their phone. If you only text and email then the classic won't be obsolete.

If you want to play games and social media it may not be the phone for you.

10-18-16 05:21 PM
    Actually, given that the worldwide smartphone userbase is only about 2B, any app that has over 1B users would qualify as being used by "most smartphone users".

That also speaks to the main reason WA is valuable: the network effect. When so many people you personally know are using a system of communication, it's going to be of value to you (or, at least, to most people). That's especially true in countries that don't give unlimited SMS/MMS (much less INTERNATIONAL SMS/MMS). In many countries, WA is the hub of their businesses and social lives - much like BBM used to be.
    You're not kidding.

I personally don't use WA just because of the fact that there are a million other apps that do the same thing. When I had the Priv, I used viber to talk to my wife and a couple of other people, WA to talk to my mom and a friend overseas, and Kik to talk to cousins. Meanwhile, I used Textra to text my other contacts or used FB messenger for those whose number I didn't have.

It got to the point that I was constantly flipping through apps to talk to people. The network effect was strong for a while on the Priv.

I deleted all the apps except viber and mainly text and email now.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    10-19-16 10:29 AM
    I will continue to use my BlackBerry Classic, I don't give a S*** about what people think by the end of the day it's just a phone

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 03:33 PM
    What's even the point of whatsapp? (serious question BTW - why should I use it? When unlimited calls and SMS/MMS cost next to nothing on a monthly plan)
    My thoughts exactly.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 06:04 AM
    My thoughts exactly.

Posted via CB10
    Based on what I read on these forums, foreign sms/mms plans are different from United States phone plans. Some foreign plans make users pay for every mms sent.

It behooves those users to find an alternative that they can use all day without a lot of charges and I'm assuming that WA fills that role.

It's weird because BlackBerry had that market cornered with BIS and BBM years ago. I remember that all messages sent on BBM were part of your BIS plan and not counted towards your text total.

I still remember asking and getting asked "what's your pin"? The good old days.

10-20-16 06:35 AM
    I suppose that makes sense. However I know a lot of sports teams I'm involved with use whatsapp group chats for organization and things like that.

Other than that I never use it to just message my friends or any of those people directly. Still use text for that.
    10-20-16 07:49 PM
    I suppose that makes sense. However I know a lot of sports teams I'm involved with use whatsapp group chats for organization and things like that.

Other than that I never use it to just message my friends or any of those people directly. Still use text for that.
    I don't use it at all. I thinks it's stupid to have a thousand chat apps where text works fine. I can't lie about the fact that I would love to have any message sent on my BlackBerry be end to end encrypted without having to pay for it.

10-22-16 11:13 PM
    I will use my classic well into 2017 or longer. All depends on how the scene for a pkb BlackBerry evolves. Would be great if a pkb BlackBerry android comes out but for the moment all looks! like smoke and mirrors.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    franron likes this.
    10-23-16 07:05 PM
    Are you selling a classic?
    10-24-16 12:27 AM
    Classic in 2017?

Hell yeah!!!

Got a near mint condition G5 recently. Played with it a bit...

Are you kidding! That's a "ball of confusion!"

BB10 for as long as the Good Lord let's me!!!

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    10-24-16 12:44 AM
    Classic in 2017?

Hell yeah!!!

Got a near mint condition G5 recently. Played with it a bit...

Are you kidding! That's a "ball of confusion!"

BB10 for as long as the Good Lord let's me!!!

What do you mean with near mint condition G5?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-16 07:02 AM
    My thoughts exactly.

Posted via CB10
    Here in Western Europe nearly everyone uses Whatsapp, since:
    • They might not have unlimited/free SMS
    • Better for group chats (easy to add/delete people, see who's read what, send photos/videos etc)
    • Easier to message people as you can send photos/videos for free (vs. paying for MMS, which is usually the case)
    • Since European countries are so small you are bound to have contacts with foreign phone numbers, so with Whatsapp you can message them for free as well rather than paying for international SMS/MMS
    • iMessage only works on iPhones and the percentage of Android devices is quite high, so easier to use Whatsapp
    10-24-16 10:52 AM
    What do you mean with near mint condition G5?

Posted via CB10
    Ahhh... its been in an case w/screen protector and looks brand new.

???

10-24-16 10:00 PM
    Most people use Whatsapp so that's why you use it to be able to communicate with others who might not have SMS free and also to be able with people in other countries

Posted via CB10
    Most people? I only know a total of two people that use whatsapp (and both of them I have on bbm so no biggie) and neither reside in the US so "most people" has to be a bit of a stretch.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-16 12:50 AM
151 1234 ...