01-07-16 05:36 AM
38 12
tools
    Please try to stay close to native BlackBerry apps as much as possible. Frustrations may start to creep in when you go on android apps pursuit via snap or patched google play store (cobalt route). This is my personal experience.

 Classic 
    I was not planning on going this route at all. I have an android right now, and don't need all the apps I have. That is one of the reasons why I wanted to go the Blackberry route in the first place

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-28-15 06:45 PM
    How much different is the performance of the Classic and Passport? Do you think the Classic is large enough for comfortable web browsing? I'm sorry for the questions, but my local AT&T stores stopped having BB10 devices in store; only online. Because of this, I can't actually go test drive the devices before purchasing. Thanks so much

Well, you could go into a Verizon store and test drive the Classic to see if it meets your needs.
    12-28-15 09:31 PM
    Please try to stay close to native BlackBerry apps as much as possible. Frustrations may start to creep in when you go on android apps pursuit via snap or patched google play store (cobalt route). This is my personal experience.

 Classic 
    I never plan on side loading any apps at all. Just basic communications and music and other random stuff. I'm quite hesitant though from the amount of performance issues I'm hearing about (lag).

12-28-15 11:03 PM
    I wish you well in your decision. I hope I don't confuse you but I have both devices so I feel I can add some input. While these points will just be my opinion, I have and use both devices so I am trying to be as objective as possible.

The Passport: Only gripe I have with it is the size. Honestly. And, at the same time, the size is also an advantage MOST of the time. But, when the size starts to get in the way, it's a pretty big disadvantage as well because there is nothing you can do about it. Just have to embrace it in all of its cumbersome beauty. Ergonomics, efficiency, Yada yada... the Passport provides my favorite typing experience of any mobile device. Came from physical keyboards of legacy devices, to the Z10 and Z30 to the Passport. Honestly, it's beautiful how this hybrid keyboard works. And, while it has a longer learning curve than any other device I've used, it pays off. I love it.

The Classic: Trackpad. Hands down, my favorite thing about this device. Next is having the rest of the tool belt. If you are going to have physical keys for typing, you might as well have physical buttons for everything else, too! Performance? It's pretty sufficient in most uses. There are sometimes that I experience lag with mine and it is a minor annoyance. I never had the horrid 'double typing' that some people experienced but sometimes when I open a new email or BBM message and start typing away, I experience a lag that causes a word to duplicate. This only happens to me on my Classic and I'm pretty sure it's the software combined with the slightly slower processing speed of the device. Other than that minor glitch (which might get sorted out in future OS updates and could perhaps be an isolated problem with MY particular device), the Classic is a great communications device.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. I love them both and still can't decide. If I could only have one, I suppose the Classic is more versatile. And, I suppose, if you never know what you're missing with the Passport, you won't ever miss it!
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-28-15 11:30 PM
    Well, you could go into a Verizon store and test drive the Classic to see if it meets your needs.
    I hadn't thought of doing that. My carrier is AT&T and they stopped carrying the Classic and Passport in stores weeks ago. Thank you for that idea

12-28-15 11:48 PM
    My ONLY issue with the Classic is the Facebook notifications in the hub only work part of the time you get the message "This post could not be loaded" most of the time. This is a known issue with no resolution date available. You can use the Facebook app (poor) or the browser (sorry no experience with the mobile site) Other then that and a crappy calendar, compared to 7.1 it's a good phone.
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-28-15 11:52 PM
    My ONLY issue with the Classic is the Facebook notifications in the hub only work part of the time you get the message "This post could not be loaded" most of the time. This is a known issue with no resolution date available. You can use the Facebook app (poor) or the browser (sorry no experience with the mobile site) Other then that and a crappy calendar, compared to 7.1 it's a good phone.
    I'm just curious, how is performance for you on your device?

12-29-15 12:17 AM
    That's not a problem with the Classic, but any BB10 phone...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-29-15 05:13 PM
    I picked the Classic over the Passport because it just felt more natural. It meets all of my needs which are most of the ones you identified. I don't regret my decision for one moment!

Posted via CB10
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-29-15 05:53 PM
    I have no issues with the general operation of the Classic.
    12-29-15 07:49 PM
    May be true BUT that's the only BB10 device I have.
    12-29-15 07:52 PM
    So, Nightwing535... what's the latest? Which phone did you end up with? I am curious because I also find both the Classic and the Passport as very good devices. I acquired the Passport last fall and used it for a few months and became very fond of it. Only about two weeks ago, I ordered a Classic. Reason? I was drawn to the Classic's keyboard. There is just something incredibly unique and alluring about the Classic keyboard. I really like the toolbelt, and I REALLY like how I can have a cursor thanks to the trackpad. Right now, my Passport sits in its box, but the Classic is doing the job quite nicely. Below is a list of notables about each device:

Passport (original piano black):
    - one of a kind Web browsing experience
    - very powerful speakerphone
    - great for viewing downloaded Word documents and PDFs
    - keyboard is more forgiving of less accurate (ie. sloppy) typing due to larger keys and stronger auto-correct algorithm
    - battery will always last at least day

Classic:
    - nostalgic feeling is very gratifying
    - less fatiguing keyboard (more compact, easier to press down keys)
    - advantageous toolbelt allows convenience of dedicated send, end, menu, back, and trackpad
    - battery will still last a day, but need to be more mindful of not "wasting time" with it (which I actually found has encouraged me to be more in touch with REAL people rather than having my face stuck in a smartphone screen, which I was more likely to do with the Passport)
    - far easier to use with one hand and more comfortable to pocket
    - this phone actually ENCOURAGES me to type more! I find that on the Classic, my forum posts are longer because it's just so pleasant to type on this device

Ultimately, I think it boils down to what is important for you. I was a bit reluctant at first to try the Classic because I thought it would mean that reading and writing Word documents and viewing PDF files would be difficult, but it's actually not so bad, and it's a sacrifice I think I'm willing to live with.

Let us know what you decide!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 09:23 PM
    I have a Classic for work, and Passport as my personally owned device. Classic is good for one handed typing. But other than that, I prefer my Passport for everything else.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    01-07-16 05:36 AM
38 12