Hello, I am looking to purchase a Blackberry Classic or Passport, although significantly leaning towards a Classic. I will be using either phone for:
    Light email
    Texting
    News apps (NPR, AP)
    Web browsing
    Light listening to downloaded music
    Calendar
    Talking on phone
    With those uses, do you think a Classic would be sufficient? I say this because I have read multiple threads that mention lag and that sort of thing. And, the Classic is going on over a year old. Thank you

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-25-15 02:36 AM
    *and Facebook

12-25-15 02:37 AM
    I can say Classic fits just fine for your stated purpose and intended use. That the Classic is one year old doesn't mean anything negative in terms of its performance. This thing is built to last

 Classic 
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-25-15 02:52 AM
    You can not compare the Web browsing experience between classic and passport. The passport is in another league. The passport is bigger and faster but is not as pocketable as the classic. The keyboard experience is different as well.
    12-25-15 05:39 AM
    The fact that Classic is almost a year old is irrelevant. This phone is the best in everything that you have mentioned, plus it's 4row keyboard will make sure you type ⚡ fast! For all it's worth, pick the Classic, it's a beautiful device ☺

 Blackberryist 
    Nightwing535 and GoProPilot like this.
    12-25-15 03:30 PM
    Ditto sounds like the classic is fine for your needs just the right size for mobility and usefulness.

Posted via CB10
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-25-15 04:02 PM
    Sounds to me you are looking for a Classic .
    12-26-15 07:56 AM
    I have almost every berry ever made, classic is the best daily driver for me. Passport is amazingly fast but in real world usage I prefer my Classic for size and pocketability.

There are one or two android apps I can't run that I would like to use but that's it for me. Don't really do social apps but everything business and communications wise is flawless.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 11:45 AM
    How much different is the performance of the Classic and Passport? Do you think the Classic is large enough for comfortable web browsing? I'm sorry for the questions, but my local AT&T stores stopped having BB10 devices in store; only online. Because of this, I can't actually go test drive the devices before purchasing. Thanks so much

12-26-15 03:30 PM
    To put it simply yes it is completely usable for Web browsing matter of fact I now read my ebooks while commuting and I am not bothered at all by it. would the passport be better for this of course it's a better phone overall no doubt but the classic does just fine it's not uncomfortable at all.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 03:36 PM
    Well, I hate to say it, but the passport is by far the superior phone in Terms of specs

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 04:03 PM
    I get that, but when comparing size and keyboard, I believe the Classic is superior. And when using the phone for communication and not a lot of extras, I figure it handles quite nicely.

12-26-15 05:10 PM
    You are not mistaken my friend the pp is good for working when you need the extra real estate but the classic is way more comfortable to carry around for the simple stuff.

Posted via CB10
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-26-15 06:15 PM
    I'll preface with the fact that I'm ashamed at how many seemingly useless questions I'm asking, but I have one more question. I'm on the fence between the Classic and Passport, but if there were a couple stand out features of the Classic that could help me make a decision, that would be great. Or even negative things about the Passport that I might not have thought of. I'm quite hesitant to get a new phone and sign a two year contract if im not completely informed of my decision. I admit I over think it too much though, but thank you.

12-27-15 02:53 AM
    It's hard (not right either) to bring down one device in order to show the other one in spotlight. Each device has its own merits and demerits. While PP ticks all the spec boxes it's a little awkward to use in real life situation. Classic on the other hand despite carrying older hardware (internals) does everything flawlessly as long as you don't stray too far from native BB10 apps (going by your needs you almost never need to). Yes there's this micro second or two or five lag if you put these two side by side but come on you (or anyone) is not going to solve all of the world's problem if not for that lag time. Get a classic mate. You won't be unhappy.

 Classic 
    Last edited by Venky Sankaran; 12-27-15 at 03:30 AM.
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-27-15 03:04 AM
    It's hard (not right either) to bring down one device in order to show the other one in spotlight. Each device has its own merits and demerits. While PP ticks all the spec boxes it's a little awkward to use in real life situation. Classic on the other hand despite carrying older hardware (internals) does everything flawlessly as long as you don't stray too far from native BB10 apps (going by your needs you almost never need to). Yes there's this micro second or two or five lag if you put these two side by side but come on you (or anyone) is not going to solve all of the world's problem if not for that lag time. Get a classic mate. You won't be unhappy.

 Classic 
    What I meant was more comparing and contrasting the differences between the devices. Not "bring down" the Passport in any way. I guess things can get interpreted differently pretty easily online. But thank you for your reply. The micro delay is what I'm worried about though. I would not be side loading any apps, but in the moment, any delay can be quite frustrating in my opinion. With that being said, I realize that no device is perfect.

12-27-15 03:43 AM
    I find Classic's performance (speed) to be quite adequate and perfectly "normal" for real life phone tasks.

 Classic 
    12-27-15 04:38 AM
    I have a Classic and love it does things fine for me for what I want (heavy emails and browsing and messaging).

But Passport is much faster on response and browsing. It comes a point where it does make a difference.

It would be good to test drive both devices at a store but Passport seems what you want. Only drawback on Passport is its Passport size if that's too large for you then go for a classic.

Good luck with your choice.

Demetris

Posted via CB10
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-27-15 06:45 AM
    I have not used a PP nor have I held one. I can comment on the Classic, and for what I need a phone to do, it does it extremely well - quite possibly the best.

My needs are: calls, email/text, navigation, contacts, calendar and slight browsing. The Classic, for me hands down, is the best for this. If BlackBerry made a Classic with PP specs, I'm not sure it would make much of a difference for what I use a phone for. This size/form factor works for me, and again, I have not held a PP but it seems like it would be awkward for me.

If you are looking for an excellent communication device, you cannot go wrong with the Classic. You may want to take a look at some of the threads in the PP forum.

Posted via CB10
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-27-15 11:33 AM
    Passport is faster but for a quick comparison I would say that the Classic is a one hand device and Passport is a two hands device. I do think that this is the major difference considering what you do intend to use it for. If size matters for you get the Classic otherwise get the passport.
    Nightwing535 likes this.
    12-27-15 12:48 PM
    Well, I hate to say it, but the passport is by far the superior phone in Terms of specs

Posted via CB10
    Well, good thing while I'm using the phone I'm not typing on gigabytes or answering calls based on CPU cores...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-28-15 11:46 AM
    Here's the killer for the Passport. Whatever device you use, eventually your muscle memory will make it so you feel "natural" using that device. Because the PP uses a proprietary keyboard layout that no other device uses, once your muscle memory adapts to that, now if for whatever reason you need to use another device, whether it's someone handing you their device to ask your help for something or your PP dies and you use a loaner or backup phone for a while, you will be a lot less efficient with every other phone. Basically you'll be training yourself to be good at the 0.1% at the expense of the 99.9%. Then there's the issue of the lack of symbols on the keyboard. You'll be forced to switch back and forth between the keyboard and the touchscreen in order to type. One main draw of having a physical keyboard is your ability to type without looking at the device at all. Now you lose that ability because not only do you always need to verify you're touching the right thing, but since the symbols are "context sensitive" they change as well. To get other symbols you'll need to finish typing your last normal character, swipe down, then pick the symbol. On a standard keyboard, I'm already reaching for the alt key as I'm typing the last normal character so then the symbol is as quick as typing the next letter. Combine that with a lack of physical call send and end keys mean you'll be one of the people I chuckle at that stares at their phone when they are ending calls because they have to see that they are touching the right icon, and to verify that the call is hung up. Lack of a true trackpad means you're limited to scrolling around webpages, while an extra step is required if you want to control the cursor, then there's no "click" function (for web browsing, having the mouse cursor on screen and the ability to click using the trackpad makes navigation so easy, especially if the website isn't mobile friendly and has tiny little links...) The BB keys makes for extremely easy access to the options menus, including the top one (long press BB key), just try pulling down the top menu on the PP while holding the phone one-handed...

Would I want better specs in the Classic? Of course. But forced to pick between good specs and awkward ergonomics and worse specs and great ergonomics, great ergonomics wins every time, because that is what affects your user experience the most. Imagine driving a car that has the good specs but instead of a standard steering wheel has levers to steer the car with...

Nightwing535 and Avenzuno like this.
    12-28-15 12:01 PM
    Classic is the best phone for me when comparing to the Passport. The Passport is a nice phone, but it is too large for me (I'm 6'4 with large hands lol). In addition, the trackpad on the Classic is great for Web browsing and editing messages (email, text, etc)

Posted via CB10
    Nightwing535 and Avenzuno like this.
    12-28-15 12:16 PM
    Here's the killer for the Passport. Whatever device you use, eventually your muscle memory will make it so you feel "natural" using that device. Because the PP uses a proprietary keyboard layout that no other device uses, once your muscle memory adapts to that, now if for whatever reason you need to use another device, whether it's someone handing you their device to ask your help for something or your PP dies and you use a loaner or backup phone for a while, you will be a lot less efficient with every other phone. Basically you'll be training yourself to be good at the 0.1% at the expense of the 99.9%. Then there's the issue of the lack of symbols on the keyboard. You'll be forced to switch back and forth between the keyboard and the touchscreen in order to type. One main draw of having a physical keyboard is your ability to type without looking at the device at all. Now you lose that ability because not only do you always need to verify you're touching the right thing, but since the symbols are "context sensitive" they change as well. To get other symbols you'll need to finish typing your last normal character, swipe down, then pick the symbol. On a standard keyboard, I'm already reaching for the alt key as I'm typing the last normal character so then the symbol is as quick as typing the next letter. Combine that with a lack of physical call send and end keys mean you'll be one of the people I chuckle at that stares at their phone when they are ending calls because they have to see that they are touching the right icon, and to verify that the call is hung up. Lack of a true trackpad means you're limited to scrolling around webpages, while an extra step is required if you want to control the cursor, then there's no "click" function (for web browsing, having the mouse cursor on screen and the ability to click using the trackpad makes navigation so easy, especially if the website isn't mobile friendly and has tiny little links...) The BB keys makes for extremely easy access to the options menus, including the top one (long press BB key), just try pulling down the top menu on the PP while holding the phone one-handed...

Would I want better specs in the Classic? Of course. But forced to pick between good specs and awkward ergonomics and worse specs and great ergonomics, great ergonomics wins every time, because that is what affects your user experience the most. Imagine driving a car that has the good specs but instead of a standard steering wheel has levers to steer the car with...

Thank you for your reply. I think you just convinced me to get the Classic over the Passport. I want to get another BlackBerry again. Hopefully the performance on the Classic will be as good as people have said

12-28-15 03:27 PM
    Please try to stay close to native BlackBerry apps as much as possible. Frustrations may start to creep in when you go on android apps pursuit via snap or patched google play store (cobalt route). This is my personal experience.

 Classic 
    12-28-15 06:17 PM
38 12