Hello classic users,

I am a former bb10 user (thought it was a great platform) that has used a z10 and a passport. Loved them both in their own right. I remember when I used a 9900 though. I liked the toolbar and the hardware buttons for sending and ending a call.

I am starting an online business and am looking for a business phone. I have heard about the new mercury Phone and it seems like a winner. Only thing is, it doesn't have that toolbelt that I miss. I'm sure there is no way to use whatsapp on the 9900 so that leaves me with the next best thing; a classic.The mercury will have full access to whatsapp which leads to the my question.

I know that whatsapp is ending support for bb10. What I want to know is will there at least be an alternative to whatsapp that could be used on the bb10 platform? I do need whatsapp for my business which is why it is so important.

Thanks for you help guys.
    02-22-17 11:38 AM
    If it's important... forget about BB10.
    jas1978 likes this.
    02-22-17 12:02 PM
    If it's important... forget about BB10.
    I was hoping no one would say that lol. Oh well, the mercury is still an option.
    02-22-17 12:20 PM
    Some get the android version to work on their Classic, so some hope for post 30.06.2017. If you really rely on wa...go for mercury.

CB10 on my PP SE
    02-22-17 12:44 PM
    WhatsApp is ending support for BB10 in five months, so that leaves the Merc as the best pkb phone for you.
    02-22-17 01:06 PM
    As the others have stated there's really no guarantees surrounding whatsapp going forward. Some people are using the android version, maybe they decide to extend support again or maybe somebody figures out a way to make a 3rd party option (although I believe I read this is against the rules since they don't share api or something)

If whatsapp is truly integral to your business I would absolutely look into the mercury or pick up a lesser cost second device to use.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 01:26 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The Mercury it is.
    02-22-17 04:44 PM
    Yeah, that's your best bet. But I understand what you're saying. If only they would incorporate a call and end button in the toolbelt on the Mercury. That would make it a killer phone and a true successor.

Posted via CB10
    tfitzpat03 likes this.
    02-22-17 04:51 PM
    You can and should to buy a Classic, because with toolbar it is like a bold 9900 (my second favourite BB).
    And you can also install an android version Apk of Telegram, witch run without any mistakes on all BlackBerry OS10 devices.

Nobody need WhatsApp!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 05:27 PM
    Don't worry about the toolbelt! After using the Q10 for so long, it makes no sense to have additional tactile buttons on an all-touch screen.

My only concern for the Mercury in that regard is how fluid the interface will be with gestures. The nice thing with BlackBerry10 is that gestures don't require a lot of effort so you can quickly move between keyboard and screen. But Android gestures often require a little more force.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    02-23-17 06:34 AM
    Don't worry about the toolbelt! After using the Q10 for so long, it makes no sense to have additional tactile buttons on an all-touch screen.

My only concern for the Mercury in that regard is how fluid the interface will be with gestures. The nice thing with BlackBerry10 is that gestures don't require a lot of effort so you can quickly move between keyboard and screen. But Android gestures often require a little more force.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    I went from Passport to Classic and I don't agree. The toolbelt is wonderful. I could do without the trackpadn having the capacitive keyboard. But the call and end button can never be replicated on the touch screen. It's no comparison at all.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 07:10 AM
    I went from Passport to Classic and I don't agree. The toolbelt is wonderful. I could do without the trackpadn having the capacitive keyboard. But the call and end button can never be replicated on the touch screen. It's no comparison at all.

Posted via CB10
    From my experiences with touchscreens, I have had the screen freeze on me to the point where I couldn't answer a call. When I had call send and end buttons, I never recalled this happening to me.

This is why I would prefer hardware buttons for Call send and end. The track pad wouldn't hurt to have either because I miss the precision of selecting text and links.
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    02-23-17 08:22 AM

Nobody need WhatsApp!

Posted via CB10
    Here we go again....

Must be so nice to know what people need or want... especially to know it better than those people themselves.

CB10 on my PP SE
    02-23-17 08:38 AM
    Nobody need WhatsApp!

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

That is what a majority of my colleagues use to communicate. I have no idea why but they do.

It is better for business if we can all be on the same page. That's why I need it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-23-17 09:19 AM
    From my experiences with touchscreens, I have had the screen freeze on me to the point where I couldn't answer a call. When I had call send and end buttons, I never recalled this happening to me.

This is why I would prefer hardware buttons for Call send and end. The track pad wouldn't hurt to have either because I miss the precision of selecting text and links.
    Someone here suggested years ago that they should have made the 'q' and 'p' keys serve as send and end when you were in the calling app. They could have even added a little green and red colourīng to those keys. I wish BlackBerry would have done that.

Sent from mTalk
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    02-23-17 09:22 AM
    Looks like some of the clients use WeChat for a messenger on blackberry.

Can anyone confirm that BB10 has a working version of WeChat? I believe this would be just as adequate. Thanks.
    02-24-17 08:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! The toolbelt is wonderful and very helpful. Also the call and end button are very nice to have.
    And more positive points make Classic to the best BlackBerry ever.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 01:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    I fully agree. I also changed from passport to classic. Love the change and ending/ starting calls is now a pleasure.

Via BlackBerry Classic!
    02-25-17 04:00 AM
    Hello classic users,

I am a former bb10 user (thought it was a great platform) that has used a z10 and a passport. Loved them both in their own right. I remember when I used a 9900 though. I liked the toolbar and the hardware buttons for sending and ending a call.

I am starting an online business and am looking for a business phone. I have heard about the new mercury Phone and it seems like a winner. Only thing is, it doesn't have that toolbelt that I miss. I'm sure there is no way to use whatsapp on the 9900 so that leaves me with the next best thing; a classic.The mercury will have full access to whatsapp which leads to the my question.

I know that whatsapp is ending support for bb10. What I want to know is will there at least be an alternative to whatsapp that could be used on the bb10 platform? I do need whatsapp for my business which is why it is so important.

Thanks for you help guys.
    Whatsapp on BB10 is dead come June.
    02-28-17 09:12 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, you can just download the apk and load it on the classic when support ends in june.

The toolbelt is nice to have but it wasn't even considered when they were developing bb10 so it ads basically zero functionality except maybe selecting multiple items to delete.

I've also heard that the keyboard on the murcury has flat keys opposed to angular ones to cater more towards gesture based navigation on android so that's something to consider if you're a keyboard type person

Posted via Nokia  3310
    03-01-17 06:26 PM
    But... if someone was in the same situation as the OP but does NOT need ANY android apps, this would be a solid choice of phone?
    03-09-17 12:13 AM
    I tried to load the android version of whatsapp on my old z10 and it did work. Haven't tested it out much. Does it get notifications to the hub? If it does, that would be a big step forward in getting a classic. I would still like to have one as a backup option. I can't use my z10 because of a defect in the sim tray. Plus it is micro sim instead of nano sim.
    03-09-17 10:08 AM
    But... if someone was in the same situation as the OP but does NOT need ANY android apps, this would be a solid choice of phone?
    I think that it is. I don't need a lot of apps. Whatsapp is one of the few apps that I may need. As far as it being functional as a phone, I'm sure it fits that bill well.

Plus, I'm getting tired of these big oversized phones. Something small and simple will do just fine for me.
    Ukweli likes this.
    03-09-17 10:10 AM