View Poll Results: Do you think BlackBerry should skip NFC on the upcoming Q20 or not?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ditch it!

24 13.71%
  • No, keep it!

151 86.29%
    I honestly don't think I've ever used mine, but how much could it cost??

I think being able to say they have the latest tech on their high-end products, and the perception that comes with that, is worth the +/- $20 or less it takes to slap it on there.. $479 vs. $500 is not going to make you not buy something if it's what you want...

that said, I do have a BB Music Gateway, and it seems just as easy (two taps) to turn on/off BT when getting in/out and i'm sure it saves some batt life instead of leaving NFC on all the time (not necessarily active, but toggled on)...
    03-28-14 01:34 AM
    If you have a credit card or bank card with "Tap and Go" that's NFC. In Canada the issue is the bank apps for BlackBerry are just beginning to come out. CIBC just released theirs. Tim Horton's works and it drives apple people crazy as they have to get a bar code scanner to read their screens. Wendy's apparently will also roll out an app to take advantage of it. So basically any credit card device that has tap and go is BlackBerry ready.
    How exactly the banks utilizes NFC with their CC? The phone itself is linked to the bank's account, or the phone number?
    Please, tell us more of how iPhone users are getting frustated whenever they have to get a barcode scanner to read their screens...

PS: by the way, welcome to the CrackBerry community..
    Last edited by Joe Clean; 03-28-14 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added the welcome line
    03-28-14 08:13 AM
    I honestly don't think I've ever used mine, but how much could it cost??

I think being able to say they have the latest tech on their high-end products, and the perception that comes with that, is worth the +/- $20 or less it takes to slap it on there.. $479 vs. $500 is not going to make you not buy something if it's what you want...

that said, I do have a BB Music Gateway, and it seems just as easy (two taps) to turn on/off BT when getting in/out and i'm sure it saves some batt life instead of leaving NFC on all the time (not necessarily active, but toggled on)...
    Now this is the first, I see you chose BlackBerry to ditch it, but it sounds like you're saying the Q20 should have the NFC instead...
    03-28-14 08:20 AM
    NFC is simply more secure for mobile payments than any other option.

Case in point. Take you Apple buddy to Tim Hortons and tell him to buy you a coffee with his TimmyMe App. He can make a payment by displaying a bar code to the cashier (just like they do at Starbucks). When the bar code is displayed take a quick clear pic of his screen and save the bar code. Now take you same buddy later on to the coffee shop and tell him that you'll be paying. Pull out your pic of his tim hortons or Starbucks bar code (that you took earlier) and get the cashier to scan it. Voila. You bought your buddy a coffee and he/she paid for both!

Now use your NFC app and see if your friend is able to hijack/compromise your account. He/she can't unless they steal your phone and know your password. Starbucks unfortunately does not recognize the need for better security and their app does not utilize NFC technology.

Once again I'm not encouraging that people do this for illegal purposes but try it for shi*! and giggles. Unfortunately, it will take serious fraud to occur before mobile NFC becomes mainstream.

Management by crisis is the norm for many decision makers in today's society.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:45 AM
    Case in point. Take you Apple buddy to Tim Hortons and tell him to buy you a coffee with his TimmyMe App. He can make a payment by displaying a bar code to the cashier (just like they do at Starbucks). When the bar code is displayed take a quick clear pic of his screen and save the bar code. Now take you same buddy later on to the coffee shop and tell him that you'll be paying. Pull out your pic of his tim hortons or Starbucks bar code (that you took earlier) and get the cashier to scan it. Voila. You bought your buddy a coffee and he/she paid for both!
    LoL that's a good one

I'm just curious though, is the TimmyMe and Starbucks apps generate the same barcode picture every time the user plan to pay with it?
    03-28-14 08:52 AM
    I would imagine that the bar code is unique to the users account. When scanned the store's POS terminal will then dial in to the user's account to see if they have enough funds to fulfill the transaction.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:21 AM
    Now this is the first, I see you chose BlackBerry to ditch it, but it sounds like you're saying the Q20 should have the NFC instead...
    I know right?! so wishy-washy lol.. nah I hit that by accident, i swear!! when i saw the "yes" option, i was thinking yes keep it and clicked before getting to... you know, the word right after it.....

got a liiittle to excited i guess haha...
    03-28-14 04:04 PM
    Please, tell us more of how iPhone users are getting frustated whenever they have to get a barcode scanner to read their screens...

PS: by the way, welcome to the CrackBerry community..
    You also have to remember that the bar code scanning is a limited beta in the Toronto-Hamilton area. Using the NFC scan with TimmyMe is becoming routine unless you run into an iPhone "expert". They keep telling me it doesn't work (I live outside the area where it does) then goggle when payment goes through. Then I show them the BlackBerry logo. Sweet.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 07:45 AM
    I use it regularly. Me and new convert to BlackBerry were using it in front of an iSheep.

The convert was showing off how she can do all these things. The iSheep response was " me iPhone is so slow. I don't care. I love it.

BB Proud
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-29-14 08:09 AM
    I'm in the legal business. Typically, when a lawyer is on the opposite side of a case with another lawyer he's never met, using NFC to exchange contact info is handy. No digging out business cards, just use the phones.
    03-29-14 08:32 PM
    I know right?! so wishy-washy lol.. nah I hit that by accident, i swear!! when i saw the "yes" option, i was thinking yes keep it and clicked before getting to... you know, the word right after it.....

got a liiittle to excited i guess haha...
    A bit too much excited you are.
    03-30-14 10:10 AM
    You also have to remember that the bar code scanning is a limited beta in the Toronto-Hamilton area. Using the NFC scan with TimmyMe is becoming routine unless you run into an iPhone "expert". They keep telling me it doesn't work (I live outside the area where it does) then goggle when payment goes through. Then I show them the BlackBerry logo. Sweet.
    Sweet.

I use it regularly. Me and new convert to BlackBerry were using it in front of an iSheep.
    The convert was showing off how she can do all these things. The iSheep response was " me iPhone is so slow. I don't care. I love it.
    BB Proud
    I like that #BBProud.
    03-30-14 10:12 AM
    I'm in the legal business. Typically, when a lawyer is on the opposite side of a case with another lawyer he's never met, using NFC to exchange contact info is handy. No digging out business cards, just use the phones.
    Now that's the first time I heard from a lawyer perspective.
    So they use BlackBerry a lot these days?
    03-30-14 10:13 AM
    NFC has been around for a while, even in Canada with the SpeedPass from Esso and Master Card. It's just that the implementation on mobile devices sucks because NO one can agree to ONE standard everyone is more concerned with eco system lock down and how much consumer information they can horde for themselves.

Also NFC payments from apps like Google wallet have very high requirements for example I believe starting from April you need to have an Android 4.4 phone which means my Galaxy Nexus while it does have NFC won't be able to use the NFC chip to purchase anything. Not to mention the round trip communication (data signal) with your phone when you tap it also you need to make sure your have power on your phone. All these requirements means you can't leave home with out your cards.

The whole point of Google wallet, PayPal and Isis is to get access to all that valuable purchase info that credit cards get access to at the very end of your purchase.
    Urusay likes this.
    04-05-14 12:52 PM
    NFC has been around for a while, even in Canada with the SpeedPass from Esso and Master Card. It's just that the implementation on mobile devices sucks because NO one can agree to ONE standard everyone is more concerned with eco system lock down and how much consumer information they can horde for themselves.

Also NFC payments from apps like Google wallet have very high requirements for example I believe starting from April you need to have an Android 4.4 phone which means my Galaxy Nexus while it does have NFC won't be able to use the NFC chip to purchase anything. Not to mention the round trip communication (data signal) with your phone when you tap it also you need to make sure your have power on your phone. All these requirements means you can't leave home with out your cards.

The whole point of Google wallet, PayPal and Isis is to get access to all that valuable purchase info that credit cards get access to at the very end of your purchase.
    Do you think BlackBerry should implement its own NFC requirements by pushing its own mobile payment apps such as BBM Money perhaps?
    04-05-14 11:37 PM
    The problem with nfc is there isn't really much adoption out there. This tech can be used in various applications but as of yet has not gained the adoption rate to warrant being a decisive factor in a purchase.

That being said it has huge potential. And I hope BlackBerry keeps it in production.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 11:43 PM
    The problem with nfc is there isn't really much adoption out there. This tech can be used in various applications but as of yet has not gained the adoption rate to warrant being a decisive factor in a purchase.

That being said it has huge potential. And I hope BlackBerry keeps it in production.
    After learning how other users are using their NFC-equipped BlackBerries through their amazing posts and stories here at this thread, I noticed the NFC is being adopted in many places across European countries and at Canada. True, it's too bad the NFC is not that popular at other places like the US or in my country as well.

But hopefully BlackBerry could push the technology further with its own BBM Money app in the future, perhaps then the rest of the world (or market) will follow. I've been using BBM Money for few weeks now, and it works great for me, BlackBerry should expand its usage to a more broader market.

And let's not forget, BlackBerry also got NFC tags feature in its BB 10 phones just like DJ Reyes has mentioned here at CrackBerry, the Smart Tags app is a very useful feature that utilizes NFC.

PS: what do you say, should BlackBerry keep the NFC in the upcoming Q20? Please place your vote in the poll above.
    04-06-14 12:53 AM
    I have never used mine either.

via Q10
    Joe Clean likes this.
    04-06-14 10:43 PM
    Btw NFC adds hardly any cost per device: yo the tune of pennies for license and implementation.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    04-06-14 11:48 PM
    Do you think BlackBerry should implement its own NFC requirements by pushing its own mobile payment apps such as BBM Money perhaps?
    Honestly I think that NFC mobile payments (from smart phones) is a SOLUTION looking for a problem that doesn't exist. When the day comes that I can confidently leave my house with our physical cards which would me solving the battery issue, data signal requirement and arming ALL merchants with NFC capable terminals.

Than it may have a chance.

OR if all these third party services like PayPal, Isis, Google Wallet... GIVE me some incentive to use their mobile payment service like maybe extra points or something until than it's a win for them and a lose for us.
    04-13-14 05:54 PM
    Btw NFC adds hardly any cost per device: yo the tune of pennies for license and implementation.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    That maybe be true but, from a consumer point of view I'd much rather the company invest in a feature I'd actually USE and benefit from. For example how about employing a few more programmers to add support for podcasts in the music player, that EVERY single smartphone out there has except for BB. Or even beefing up the BlackBerry Link/Desktop app which is a joke... how about oh removing the imap sync interval so it's INSTANT instead of having to wait some random time for changes you make to your inbox on BB to appear on your desktop client.
    04-13-14 05:58 PM
    Honestly I think that NFC mobile payments (from smart phones) is a SOLUTION looking for a problem that doesn't exist.
    The same was said about tablets and the iPad in particular.

BlackBerry should follow the standard set by the credit card companies and Interact not develop a vendor lock-in standard.

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    04-13-14 06:01 PM
    OR if all these third party services like PayPal, Isis, Google Wallet... GIVE me some incentive to use their mobile payment service like maybe extra points or something until than it's a win for them and a lose for us.
    I like this last part, perhaps incentives will propel NFC adoption wider and faster.
    04-14-14 11:04 AM
    The same was said about tablets and the iPad in particular.

BlackBerry should follow the standard set by the credit card companies and Interact not develop a vendor lock-in standard.
    The first paragraph sounds like a contradiction with the second one, I thought you're about to say the other way..
    04-14-14 11:09 AM
    I've been using tims nfc app in the Vancouver area since it came out. They have just started to install bar code readers and now instead of saying I can't use my phone, they are trying to use the bar code reader even when I tell them it's NFC tap to pay . One cashier looked skeptical even when I showed her the screen for payment then tapped pay and the NFC scanning came on . I had time so I waited for the manager and he sorted it out. Now I just say Tim card then tap the terminal with my phone while they object .

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 11:31 AM
205 ... 6789