View Poll Results: Do you think BlackBerry should skip NFC on the upcoming Q20 or not?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ditch it!

24 13.71%
  • No, keep it!

151 86.29%
    Yep. Battery drain also.
    03-23-14 01:52 PM
    and please add France to the list. Most CC are now NFC enabled and we have NFC pass for transportations in every big cities.
    There's a pretty sizeable difference between an NFC-enabled Credit Card and an NFC Smartphone being used to pay for stuff.

The iPhone is not a Credit Card. It's a Phone.

Apple chose to forego NFC in their *phone* and it has nothing to do with whether or not your CC is NFC-enabled.
    03-23-14 02:57 PM
    "Travel the real world" would be my answer there.
    Efficiency tools have to work in most situations, including failover situations.
    There's zero gain to remove a protocol than can be used to raise you chances to be connected, everywhere, anytime. Even when the only equipment available is oudated or a deprecated redundant one.
    BTW: For obvious reliability/security reasons paiment terminals are (should) never (be) connected with wifi, it's a wire or it's a no-go.

P.S: patronizing "poor countries" won't help; have you been there, at least once, to notice how ingenious and technically aware these people are ? I'd bet not, or you won't write that.
    How am I patronizing poor countries. If a country is poor, it's poor. Period. I've been to a number of countries, in Europe.

Secondly, I didn't say to remove the protocol, nor did I insinuate that. I simply said that the chances that someone is limited to that protocol in a developed Nation (2nd/3rd World countries have more important things to worry about than rolling out NFC Terminals - like Infrastructure, Disaster Warning Systems, etc.) is practically nil.

In Nations like the UK, US, Canada we have Broadband connections that outpace the speed of Wi-Fi b so it's simply impractical and illogical to use equipment that is limited to that protocol. The only thing I can think of is equipment like Old Printers or something that may be limited, but still used. No mid-high end Smartphone manufactured in the past 6+ years or so is limited to Wi-Fi b. No routers manufactured in that timespan is limited to that protocol. I gave an old router to my mom years ago, that she still uses, and it's b/g (may even be n-capable). That router was purchased probably around the 2009-2010 timeframe. Before the BB 9780 was released, for reference. That phone was Wi-Fi b/g capable. The Curve 9300 which is around same generation has Wi-Fi b/g/n... Released in August 2010.

No one said to remove the protocol. At least, I.
    03-23-14 03:08 PM
    Nc

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 06:34 PM
    I don't know how much it cost the have NFC on the phone but doubt it's too much anymore.

I do use it daily. it's perfect for transferring calendar dates, contacts pictures etc. Tim Hortons in Canada has started taking payments with it now too.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 06:44 PM
    Yep. Battery drain also.
    Do you mean the use of NFC drains battery? Which post are you referring to?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-23-14 08:44 PM
    How am I patronizing poor countries. If a country is poor, it's poor. Period. I've been to a number of countries, in Europe.

Secondly, I didn't say to remove the protocol, nor did I insinuate that. I simply said that the chances that someone is limited to that protocol in a developed Nation (2nd/3rd World countries have more important things to worry about than rolling out NFC Terminals - like Infrastructure, Disaster Warning Systems, etc.) is practically nil.

In Nations like the UK, US, Canada we have Broadband connections that outpace the speed of Wi-Fi b so it's simply impractical and illogical to use equipment that is limited to that protocol. The only thing I can think of is equipment like Old Printers or something that may be limited, but still used. No mid-high end Smartphone manufactured in the past 6+ years or so is limited to Wi-Fi b. No routers manufactured in that timespan is limited to that protocol. I gave an old router to my mom years ago, that she still uses, and it's b/g (may even be n-capable). That router was purchased probably around the 2009-2010 timeframe. Before the BB 9780 was released, for reference. That phone was Wi-Fi b/g capable. The Curve 9300 which is around same generation has Wi-Fi b/g/n... Released in August 2010.

No one said to remove the protocol. At least, I.
    BlackBerry makes devices for worldwide usage. While they can limit chips/protocols used (like Z3 w/o LTE/4G) where it means substantial costs cuts, there's no reason to cut anything that is still widely used (tou'd be amazed of the number of wifi equipments still running wifi b while they could use g/n, just because users set them to have the wider/easiest setup for all their wifi devices, including old ones and prioritize compatibility over speed/security). [implied in your printer example, I must say]

Maybe in some poor countries people still use this type of very old equipment that they have likely gotten out of a trash bin or imported on the cheap for lack of the ability to get anything better
    Sorry if I overreacted about "poor" countries, but the link you made between wifi b and NFC was weird. To say the least, NFC can bring features (file transfer, secured transactions for instance) between devices (not only smartphones) in a way more convenient/safer manner than cable, wifi or even BT. So that countries/locations that do have poor (or costly to use) infrastructures can get significant advantage using it, IMHO.

Yep. Battery drain also.
    Unless you use it, NFC is "passive". It doesn't drain anything.
    03-24-14 05:19 AM
    tbh I don't even get why this is a poll. There is no question why their shouldn't be NFC. Sure a lot of people don't use it and don't care about the feature, but others it's a deal breaker. More and more banks are getting on board with NFC payments every year. In Canada almost every cashier has had Paypass for years. The amount of people I see take their phone out for Tim Hortons is crazy.
    Apple can afford to make it late to the game and call ti something stupid like iNFC as a marketing gimmick just like Airdrop (wifi-direct) and iBeacon (BT LE).

Leave it in the phones, more features in the phones. The larger variety of developer audience + Larger number of NFC lovers = better Blackberry ecosystem which is currently dying if we all haven't noticed. Every little feature on the phone will help out the Blackberry economy even if it's indirectly.
    I agree with you. Another question to ask is how many people won't buy a phone because it has NFC in it. I think that this number would be very low.

Yah, and someone can always run up to you and just snatch your phone out of your hand while you're using it, accessing everything on it... Just as easily as someone running up and bumping into you to get the data off the smart chips on your credits cards in your wallet. Seriously, are we going to grasp at every straw to try to find that one perfect planet aligns situations? You can make those arguments about anything...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    I don't understand the terseness of your post. The whole discussion was about the FUD that is spread regarding the security (or lack of) of NFC. My point was about the "scary" scenarios that people come up with to show that NFC use is not safe.
    03-24-14 02:38 PM
    Beaming links is a waste of time. Just text it or send an IM. Requires much less setup and is way more convenient.
    I don't see how sending a link via text or IM is quicker than just having the website open on my phone and tapping the back of my friend's phone. I've always thought that sharing websites like this was extremely quick since if I wanted to share it, I'm probably on the page already on my phone. The friend doesn't have to do anything but tap his/her screen to accept the website.
    03-24-14 02:53 PM
    I've owned multiple phones with NFC - my HTC, my Z10, my GS3...and it's the first thing I turn off and never turn back on.

NFC is a big, big MEH. Not even a convenience, to be honest. It's certainly not going to factor into any phone decision.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Just because you don't use it doesn't make it "Meh" for me or anybody else. But, your opinion is welcome anyway just like everyone else.
    03-24-14 06:33 PM
    Just because you don't use it doesn't make it "Meh" for me or anybody else. But, your opinion is welcome anyway just like everyone else.
    I thought we were supposed to be talking about how WE feel personally about the importance of NFC on our devices. I never said anything about it not being useful to others. The question was how important is NFC on my device, and my answer is meh.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD
    Thalestr and Joe Clean like this.
    03-24-14 06:40 PM
    I don't see how sending a link via text or IM is quicker than just having the website open on my phone and tapping the back of my friend's phone. I've always thought that sharing websites like this was extremely quick since if I wanted to share it, I'm probably on the page already on my phone. The friend doesn't have to do anything but tap his/her screen to accept the website.
    Does it work when the NFC-equipped phones wear casing?
    03-24-14 09:39 PM
    Apple could make a full qwerty device and BGR would say that its decision to go full qwerty is looking better every day.
    Superfly_FR and slagman5 like this.
    03-25-14 01:29 AM
    BGR says a lot of things......

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-25-14 06:33 AM
    That's maybe the best answer of this whole thread lol.

Posted via CB10
    guygardner73 likes this.
    03-25-14 06:56 AM
    Apple could make a full qwerty device and BGR would say that its decision to go full qwerty is looking better every day.
    Well they praise the iPad like a bible so I wouldn't be surprised lol

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 09:16 AM
    This seems like a US centric point of view. The US is the only place I've seen POS terminals that don't support NFC payment.
    They also don't have Poutine OR Ketchup chips but have 90 kinds of applejacks ??????????

I tap and pay for my Timmies in the morning.
    I've yet to find other places to pay for it but I believe more places will jump on board with tap and go pay systems.

I think it has great potential but it's adoption is taking forever.
    03-25-14 11:05 AM
    Does it work when the NFC-equipped phones wear casing?
    Sure does. I have a flip case on my Q10, and have had no issues case-case with an Android or case-POS for payments.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    03-25-14 12:06 PM
    Really it doesn't cost that much to add nor does it use any battery when it's not in use. Nothing wrong with future proofing a device IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 10:50 PM
    Sure does. I have a flip case on my Q10, and have had no issues case-case with an Android or case-POS for payments.
    Is your Q10 flip case a special case to use the NFC, or is it just the usual case? Is it still working if both phones (the sender and receiver) are using cases?

I once tried using the NFC when my Bold 9900 was encased in a hard case (it was Capdase, I think), and it didn't work quite well.
    03-25-14 11:37 PM
    BGR says a lot of things......
    Well they praise the iPad like a bible so I wouldn't be surprised lol
    BGR has gotten itself quite a reputation here, at the CrackBerry nation..
    Am I wrong, back then they used to defend BlackBerry and had a strong leaks of upcoming BlackBerry phones, and now they're more like pro-Apple or Android?
    What happened?
    03-25-14 11:57 PM
    I tap and pay for my Timmies in the morning.
    I've yet to find other places to pay for it but I believe more places will jump on board with tap and go pay systems.
    I think it has great potential but it's adoption is taking forever.
    It's the opposite here at my country, the NFC is still offered from Telkomsel (one of the biggest wireless carriers here) but I don't see it anymore anywhere.*
    What do you think that made NFC successfull at your place?

*Note: do I use the "anymore" and " anywhere" right? I'm getting paranoid after being told wrong before..
    03-26-14 12:10 AM
    Is your Q10 flip case a special case to use the NFC, or is it just the usual case? Is it still working if both phones (the sender and receiver) are using cases?

I once tried using the NFC when my Bold 9900 was encased in a hard case (it was Capdase, I think), and it didn't work quite well.
    I have the OEM BlackBerry Q10 flip case. I don't believe there is anything special about it, though it is thinner on the back center section with leather for grip.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    03-26-14 12:36 PM
    Canadian here, I see them all over the place. Now if only my bank would add NFC payment to their app.

Posted via CB10
    billsterjito likes this.
    03-26-14 11:30 PM
    If you have a credit card or bank card with "Tap and Go" that's NFC. In Canada the issue is the bank apps for BlackBerry are just beginning to come out. CIBC just released theirs. Tim Horton's works and it drives apple people crazy as they have to get a bar code scanner to read their screens. Wendy's apparently will also roll out an app to take advantage of it. So basically any credit card device that has tap and go is BlackBerry ready.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 01:09 PM
205 ... 56789