View Poll Results: Do you think BlackBerry should skip NFC on the upcoming Q20 or not?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ditch it!

24 13.71%
  • No, keep it!

151 86.29%
    I use nfc daily
    I have nfc tags on my front door, car dash, on my door at work, in the work truck, on the stereo at home and at work.

This helps me connect to my stereos (home car work car and shop) wifi router

I use nfc to buy my coffee daily.

Nfc makes life easy and no more forgetting to turn settings on and off when I leave work or home

Also use nfc to transfer files between people at work and home.

Beats the 5-6 steps to connect blue tooth and send file

Posted via CB10
    This is me exactly. Very useful around the house and in my truck.

Have one by my table at night, tap and it sets my alarm for the morning and puts my BlackBerry on Vibrate.

One in the basement, tap turns on Bluetooth and opens my music player.

I have many more.

And the Tim Hortons point. Haven't paid with cash at Tim's in months.

C0015B221 All about making Wine kits.
    03-21-14 09:44 AM
    Disclaimer - I've only ever used NFC once to initiate a contact card transfer via Bluetooth on my Q10.

Australia is big on contactless payments (notably MasterCard's PayPass and Visa's PayWave). Australian banks are jumping on-board with NFC in mobile phones to make use of PayPass or PayWave.

A few facts about Australia's use of Visa's PayWave (as of 9 Febuary 2014):
    • We are seeing over 28 million Visa payWave transactions a month, with over 100,000 contactless terminals across the country.
    • As of September last year (2013), of the entire Australian population, 69 per cent owned contactless cards - an increase from 54 per cent in July.
    • Almost one in two Australians use "tap and go" (contactless payment).

Source: Australia hooked on tap and go payments: Visa payWave | News.com.au

A few facts from Australia's 2nd largest bank (as of 11 December 2013):
    • Australia is leading the world in its adoption of contactless payments and mobile is the next step. One in every three Visa transactions is now a contactless Visa payWave transaction. We are excited to enable mobile payments with Visa payWave as people move towards a mobile way of life.
    • Australia's adoption of contactless payments continues to lead the world with over 50% of all debit card transactions now being made contactless. This has become an industry-wide trend, with shopping, fast food and fuel payments leading the way.

Source: Westpac unveils mobile phone contactless payments in Australian first | Westpac
    Westpac plans to work with Visa (PayWave) to support Android.

Australia's big 4 banks all have plans to make use of NFC in mobile phones. Australia's largest bank, Commonwealth Bank, even make a case for the iPhone with NFC in-built.

As far as Australia's payment industry goes, NFC is the way of the future. If a bank going out of their way to make a case for the iPhone (with NFC in-built) is anything to go by, it's in my opinion that the iPhone is one step behind.

To answer the thread question, BlackBerry should NOT skip NFC in the Q20 as BlackBerry still have their place in Australian enterprise environments where there are likely to be BlackBerry 10 devices, and in the future, potentially Q20 devices.
    Last edited by Camski63; 03-21-14 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Joe Clean likes this.
    03-21-14 09:44 AM
    we all know the U.S. is the slowest country to adopt new technology so this isn't a surprise to me. A lot of people use NFC as their credit card/wallet.

Americans trip out when I take out my Visa or Debit Card with a chip for security and we've had that for YEARS. LTE, internet speeds.
    03-21-14 10:07 AM
    I don't disagree. I wave the things I want for my own purposes.

But I think it's a fair question: would folks change platforms for just NFC? It kind of gives an unofficial gauge of its importance.

To be clear, removing tangible features makes no sense IMHO, but I doubt too many would make purchasing decisions based on the availability of NFC alone at this point.
    I doubt that I would change platforms over NFC but as time has passed, I am less willing to pay premium phone prices ($500+) for a device that doesn't have NFC. I was willing to buy the Lumia 521 but not the iPhone 5S, for example. I admit that I will be somewhat torn if the iPhone 6 comes out with a larger screen, but I plan to use an upgrade to get the iPhone 6 if I finally decide to buy it so my out-of-pocket cost will remain under $500.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-21-14 10:15 AM

Consumers do not want to be concerned about installing another app for this or that ...
    Um, okay. I guess everybody can shut up now about getting Google Play into BlackBerry World.
    03-21-14 10:19 AM
    Yeah if Apple adopted NFC it would matter a lot. But Apple's not the type of company to adopt anything that other platforms could utilize. Thus, iBeacon is their choice.
    Can't androids utilize iBeacon?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=andro...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

It's no different then Bluetooth LE (could be wrong) but since androids can use it wouldn't Blackberry's be able to as well?
    TGR1 and Joe Clean like this.
    03-21-14 10:30 AM
    I've owned multiple phones with NFC - my HTC, my Z10, my GS3...and it's the first thing I turn off and never turn back on.

NFC is a big, big MEH. Not even a convenience, to be honest. It's certainly not going to factor into any phone decision.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    IMO, NFC is only usable between Samsung phones because of S Beam. It makes the Wi-Fi Direct pairing trivial for large/fast content transfers.

For every other use case it is awkward, hamstrung, etc.

US Carriers pushing ISIS pretty much put the breaks on Mobile Payments as ISIS took FOREVER to get off the ground.

NFC Tags are awkward to use.

NFC on Android, Windows Phone, and Blackberry is not going to be a factor in a purchasing decision because all decent phones on those platforms will come with it - period. However, the only reason I think about NFC is because so many people use Samsung devices and the S Beam functionality is a huge convenience for file transfers.

Expanding on that, that only helps sell One OEM's devices (Samsung Android and Windows Phones).

Apple has already tackled that for their device users with AirDrop, so the need for NFC there is pretty small.
    reeneebob likes this.
    03-21-14 10:33 AM
    Uses are thin around here. Then there's the security issue, in that I refuse to keep it on.

Using it you share media is cool, except I'm more likely to use Dropbox to disseminate.

If there were more terminals, it would probably catch on faster.
    If you're out and about and have no Wi-Fi then using DropBox to upload a 370MB video from someone's phone and then download it to yours over LTE is not an option. The file is just too big and that uses way too much data.

It's better to just AirDrop or S Beam the file, which is fast and avoids destroying your data plan.

I tried Isis. I don't find it monumentally more convenient than just handing the card to someone or paying with cash. If you can use tech, and want to, then by all means doing so. But I think the supposed benefits of paying with a phone over using a card or cash are quite overblown - always have been.

The funny thing is, that the best ways to do content transfer with NFC is by pairing it with other protocols, and the best implementations of that are proprietary. Quick Pairing Device and Initiating Content transfers is probably where most of NFC's usage is at this point.
    03-21-14 10:39 AM
    Don't really know, never had a phone with NFC but its uses seem to be getting less and less if you ask me. Not a fan of iBeacon either, needs a way to be disabled without turning off BT entirely.
    03-21-14 10:51 AM
    And sometimes the card readers don't work. I know because I used to work in retail. So we should just get rid of those too and accept cash only. But hopefully the cash drawers don't ever act weird or we'll just have to start trading things for goats and grain...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    There is usually a secondary card reader on the cashier's machine that can be used.

There is almost never a suitable failsafe for the NFC payments.

If you worked in retail, you would know this.

Cash Drawers can usually be opened with a key, so again, there is a completely workable failsafe.

And if you're paying with a CC, unless you're getting Cash Back there is no need for a cash drawer, Lol.
    Joe Clean likes this.
    03-21-14 10:55 AM
    I transferred some things via NFC between my Z10 and 9930, but I've mainly used Bluetooth. Especially between my laptop and BB's.

That being said, if I could use the NFC on my Z10 to gain entry to the building at work, I would love that. Would beat having to carry around an ID card.
    03-21-14 10:56 AM
    I almost never use the NFC, it is off on my phone by default, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've actually turned it on. That being said, that does not mean that I want it removed from the device. In my opinion, there should be as many technologies packed into the deice as possible, even if its just a little niche thing. It makes for better choice and flexibility for the consumer which is never a bad thing.
    It is always a bad thing for the vendor (poor ROI) and it can be a bad thing for the consumer if it makes the phone costly. And, if each of those techs sip even a tiny bit of power routinely or slow your system on boot, etc.
    03-21-14 11:02 AM
    If Apple had NFC and Blackberry didn't, I bet the conversation would be "Why is blackberry behind in technology again?", but instead Blackberry has the technology, and Apple doesn't, so that means NFC is useless? Since when does apple determine what is and what isn't useful. Apple is all about battery life. They don't do certain things, just to save battery life, including not adding NFC. I think NFC is awesome. I transfer contacts, video, pictures to my wife Q10 or my Dad's Z10. It works awesome and I love it. Not to mention that's how I buy a Tim Horton's coffee in the morning....using my Timmy Me app and NFC. Why would you take a way something, just because the competition doesn't use it? Blackberry should stick with NFC.
    Welcome to Crackberry. You seem new here.

We've already had those discussions, back in 2010 when the Nexus S showed up with NFC capabilities (on Android). This was before Blackberry put it in the OS7 devices, or Windows Phone had NFC devices (not until Windows Phone 8).

The fact and the matter is, NFC adoption has been painfully slow. NFC phones have been getting released with NFC chips in them for years now, and adoption by banks, vendors, etc. has been painfully slow by comparison.

Some people are talking as if NFC Terminals, etc. have been ready for prime time forever, when the sad reality is that those of us who have been using NFC-quipped phones for years now haven't really had much to do with it other than beam files to each other. Even the quick pairing accessories haven't become very popular/widely manufacturered until a couple years after NFC made its way to most Android/Blackberry phones.

NFC has been very slow. The carriers have gone from HSPA/CDMA to HSPA+ to almost Nation-wide LTE roll-outs and are close to LTE-A/VoLTE and NFC is just now starting to pick up steam to the point that it's becoming usable.

And it's the next best thing because some people are too lazy to pull out a $5 bill to pay for coffee as a shop or get their credit card out in line (cause they didn't think to get a basket to put their stuff in)? Gimme a break...
    Joe Clean likes this.
    03-21-14 11:06 AM
    Don't really know, never had a phone with NFC but its uses seem to be getting less and less if you ask me. Not a fan of iBeacon either, needs a way to be disabled without turning off BT entirely.
    iBeacon has a toggle in Settings. You can turn it off independent from BT.
    03-21-14 11:11 AM
    iBeacon has a toggle in Settings. You can turn it off independent from BT.
    I can't find it!!!....
    03-21-14 11:13 AM
    I doubt that I would change platforms over NFC but as time has passed, I am less willing to pay premium phone prices ($500+) for a device that doesn't have NFC. I was willing to buy the Lumia 521 but not the iPhone 5S, for example. I admit that I will be somewhat torn if the iPhone 6 comes out with a larger screen, but I plan to use an upgrade to get the iPhone 6 if I finally decide to buy it so my out-of-pocket cost will remain under $500.
    If the Lumia cost the same price as the iPhone I think that would have been different.

I don't think that decision has anything to do with NFC or not. I think cost was the biggest factor there :-)
    03-21-14 11:14 AM
    I can't find it!!!....
    Any App that utilizes iBeacon allows you to toggle it off. The Apple Store app is a good example of this.

I'm pretty sure Apple may leave it up to the vendors to put the toggle in their apps so that users can choose who they want to get iBeacon notifications from, instead of an all-or-nothing compromise.

That way if you want [for example] Kohl's to send you iBeacon Alerts for Deals but no AT&T when you walk past the store in the mall on the way to Kohl's, you can toggle AT&T's Alert's off but still allow Kohl's to alert you.

In the future I can see them creating an app to aggregate this similar to Passbook, where you can simply go in and toggle them on or off through one unitifed interface (either in Settings or in an app, though these apps add their settings to settings so it's a bit confusing to even speak articulate it :-P ).
    Joe Clean likes this.
    03-21-14 11:20 AM
    Can't androids utilize iBeacon?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=andro...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

It's no different then Bluetooth LE (could be wrong) but since androids can use it wouldn't Blackberry's be able to as well?
    THANK YOU.

There is so much misunderstanding about iBeacon (which is only an implementation of the standard protocol known as BT LE) and anything Apple/not BB going on here it's terrifying.

NFC has been around a very long time without gaining traction in the US. I was told part of it was licensing fees on hardware that are expiring (don't know if true). The other thing is that the big credit card companies seem to be banding together to support it and fight off Google and Google Wallet. Their support is critical to getting NFC off the ground.

FWIW I never use Paypass. It was faster FOR ME to just swipe and go on to getting ready to pump gas or go into my purse vs hold and wait for it to be approved before doing other stuff. Consequently I developed a habit of not using it that I see no reason to break.
    Joe Clean likes this.
    03-21-14 11:20 AM
    I use it at Tim Hortons once and a while
    03-21-14 11:48 AM
    I have used NFC to share a URL from my Z30 to a Nexus 5 and vice versa. You don't even have to do anything on the receiving device: go to your browser and click share by NFC on your NFC enabled device, hold it up to another device and the other device will open the browser automatically... you don't have to go into the browser and choose "receive URL'... this makes sharing links between two people who are near one another a lot easier than tweeting it or emailing it.

Now, any apps could do this between devices from different manufacturers if the software exists on both platforms.

Developers have to get wise and creative and build better NFC support into their apps... so... if Apple is left behind even more as Android adoption continues to eat their lunch, maybe they'll learn sooner or later that interoperability with other platforms is good for them and the industry as a whole.. or I hope Apple can convince Best Buy to deploy whatever alternative they want to use.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-21-14 at 12:19 PM.
    03-21-14 11:57 AM
    According to Market place show in Canada.....it seems that you can get an app from the play store and you are able to pull out any personal confidential information from someone else's phone....which make it very vulnerable for identity theft..........so I don't use it and never will.........
    03-21-14 12:22 PM
    Uses are thin around here. Then there's the security issue, in that I refuse to keep it on.

Using it you share media is cool, except I'm more likely to use Dropbox to disseminate.

If there were more terminals, it would probably catch on faster.
    I leave NFC (and Bluetooth) off by default for security and battery life. However, with the OS 10.2.1, the Quick Settings dropdown provides such easy access that it's totally painless to toggle it on and off. I use NFC with Android-toting family and work mates for sharing files and pictures.

As well, most NFC-enabled (and BT-enabled) apps will open the settings page for you if it is off when you want to tap-to-pay or whatever. With the Tim Horton's app here in Canada, I order my coffee, say 'Tim Card', tap the app, tap 'Pay Now', it asks me if I want to turn on NFC. I respond, tap the back of my phone on the card reader, and I'm done. Another quick couple taps turns off NFC.
    03-21-14 12:48 PM
    It is always a bad thing for the vendor (poor ROI) and it can be a bad thing for the consumer if it makes the phone costly. And, if each of those techs sip even a tiny bit of power routinely or slow your system on boot, etc.
    The thing is, I'm the type of consumer that would only buy a phone that has it. I'm more than happy to pay the extra cost.
    03-21-14 01:12 PM
    In the USA I think the lack of adoption is as much a fault of the carriers as it is the POS terminals. Carriers are insisting their own system be used (Isis) and finally Google has found a way around it with KitKat for Google Wallet. I don't know are there any payment systems in the USA for BlackBerry phones?

I prefer to use geotagging instead of NFC tags and I wish there was an application such as Locale (Android app) that would work with BlackBerry (the android app does not). No effort at all in this way.
    03-21-14 01:21 PM
    According to Market place show in Canada.....it seems that you can get an app from the play store and you are able to pull out any personal confidential information from someone else's phone....which make it very vulnerable for identity theft..........so I don't use it and never will.........
    Yes, if you can convince someone to come up to you, unlock their screen, then touch their device's back to your device's back... Yep, it can go completely unnoticed... lol

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-21-14 01:34 PM
205 ... 23456 ...