View Poll Results: Do you think BlackBerry should skip NFC on the upcoming Q20 or not?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ditch it!

24 13.71%
  • No, keep it!

151 86.29%
    I believe it's better to have and not need it. Then to need/want it and not have it.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 07:30 AM
    I DO need it to pay for my Timmys!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 07:34 AM
    I believe it's better to have and not need it. Then to need/want it and not have it.
    Now, I definitely agree with this...
    kbz1960 and kthhrrsn like this.
    03-20-14 07:39 AM
    never used it !
    03-20-14 07:45 AM
    This seems like a US centric point of view. The US is the only place I've seen POS terminals that don't support NFC payment.
    Eh, the US is a pretty influential market in terms of smartphones. Both Google and Apple happen to be American.

While it may be a US-centric view, unless European nations have a great enough technological and regulatory cooperation, the US is pretty much a make or break market for most technologies. Other markets aside from the US and European markets either do not have the scale or are too low margin like China.

Ya clearly some people don't understand mobile payments and their future.
    I honestly don't see much added convenience of using your smartphone to pay for merchandise as opposed to a credit card. There are both technological and security issues with using smartphones as a wallet.

Consumers do not want to be concerned about installing another app for this or that or tinkering with the myriad of app settings. While some setup is acceptable for more frivolous activities, simple and fool proof is a must-have feature for something as important as making payments. (Do you want grandma to starve to death because she doesn't know how to pay for her groceries?)

There is also the issue of what happens when their device is lost or stolen. Having your smartphone be a wallet as well makes it too big of a target for thieves and smartphones have a tendency to be misplaced since we take them everywhere we go. The hassle of going without an efficient payment method when in search of a replacement device, which is a lot more time consuming to replace than a piece of plastic, is too big.

Of course, there are also software security concerns. Who knows what type of information your smartphone could be made to communicate out with its access to the internet and bluetooth and cellular networks whereas a piece of plastic is fairly limited in its ability to inadvertently disseminate your sensitive information.

Certain companies, such as mobile carriers and Google, have an agenda and have much to gain from the adoption of mobile payment technologies; but, I don't see the practical benefit of NFC in phones to consumers. Due to the issues with mobile payment, NFC in smartphones is very much a solution in search of a problem.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-20-14 at 08:40 AM.
    03-20-14 08:05 AM
    NFC can't be any more insecure than the ridiculous magnetic strip credit and debit cards the US is still using. Companies are reticent to make any changes to their POS systems, hich makes them POS in more than one sense of the term Anywhere else in the world and you're looking at two factor chip and PIN cards, which may have issues but they are much more secure than the antiquated ones used in the US. Really, NFC could be a good two factor method of payment, as well as offering a lot of features that could be very helpful.

As for Apple not implementing NFC, let's be honest: the only reason they haven't done it is because they haven't found a way of monetising it into their 'lock every other platform out' methods. If Apple were to introduce it on their devices you'd magically see the entire mindset of the US consumer change. Kind of sad the amount of good tech out there that the US misses out on.
    ibpluto and ALToronto like this.
    03-20-14 08:11 AM
    I use NFC daily, and my carrier is shortly introducing tap to pay for BlackBerry phones.

Tap to pay is catching on here in the UK.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 09:14 AM
    Temporarily closed for review.
    reeneebob likes this.
    03-20-14 09:18 AM
    Reopened after cleanup.

Please feel free to discuss, debate, even disagree. However, do so in a civil manner!

[WARN]
    Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to either criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If your are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.
    [/WARN]
    Oddsocket and kthhrrsn like this.
    03-20-14 09:25 AM
    Now, one use that I can see is for all my bluetooth peripherals. Tapping to pair is nifty, but then again, I don't keep my Bluetooth accessories on when not in use (with "bluejacking" coming back into vogue apparently, this might be inadvertently smart). And then, the stuff pairs automatically anyway LOL.

Back to the drawing board.
    03-20-14 09:31 AM
    Lol. I remember debating someone on here years back when the Bold 99xx phones were coming. They were saying that there would be payment terminals all over the place that could utilize NFC. I work (in part) installing point of sale systems and NFC is NOT something that is ever added. Significant extra cost for not enough extra benefit.

As I posted I have other uses, but the whole payment terminal thing is not about to take off -- not in the US.

Yeah if Apple adopted NFC it would matter a lot. But Apple's not the type of company to adopt anything that other platforms could utilize. Thus, iBeacon is their choice.
    Would payment terminals be like the Tap debit/credit machine pinpads?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 10:50 AM
    NFC can't be any more insecure than the ridiculous magnetic strip credit and debit cards the US is still using. Companies are reticent to make any changes to their POS systems, hich makes them POS in more than one sense of the term Anywhere else in the world and you're looking at two factor chip and PIN cards, which may have issues but they are much more secure than the antiquated ones used in the US. Really, NFC could be a good two factor method of payment, as well as offering a lot of features that could be very helpful.

As for Apple not implementing NFC, let's be honest: the only reason they haven't done it is because they haven't found a way of monetising it into their 'lock every other platform out' methods. If Apple were to introduce it on their devices you'd magically see the entire mindset of the US consumer change. Kind of sad the amount of good tech out there that the US misses out on.
    It's actually more secure. People have been known to be able to swipe your CC info from your cards from those smart chips just by getting close to you since they are passive and cannot "switch off." While NFC on BlackBerry phones actually turn off when the screen is not active, this is specifically to prevent this from happening.
    03-20-14 11:05 AM
    It's actually more secure. People have been known to be able to swipe your CC info from your cards from those smart chips just by getting close to you since they are passive and cannot "switch off." While NFC on BlackBerry phones actually turn off when the screen is not active, this is specifically to prevent this from happening.
    You can choose whether this behaviour is implemented: whether card transactions take place while the screen, or even the device, are off. I think they're off by default though.

BGR says Apple's decision to skipped NFC is looking better every day-img_20140320_162602_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 11:28 AM
    Apple tells you what you need, they make the decisions for you. So when they don't put NFC in their phones and devices, it obviously means you don't need it. Apple knows best.
    NinjaB likes this.
    03-20-14 12:30 PM
    I almost never use the NFC, it is off on my phone by default, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've actually turned it on. That being said, that does not mean that I want it removed from the device. In my opinion, there should be as many technologies packed into the deice as possible, even if its just a little niche thing. It makes for better choice and flexibility for the consumer which is never a bad thing.
    03-20-14 12:46 PM
    I've just read this over at NFC World before I read your post, funny coincidence, those guys are still hoping Apple will include NFC in the iPhone 6
    Lol. Well what else would a site called "NFC World" hope? Of course they'd want to see it adopted. Everywhere.
    Joe Clean likes this.
    03-20-14 01:27 PM
    Now iBeacon, THAT is something with major security issues, unlike NFC, because that's something that has to be always on and active for it to work...
    Yeah I mean I'd like NFC to take off for payments, etc. I am just stating that it is not on the radar of the point of sale software suppliers I deal with. No roadmaps that mention support, even though the hardware does all the work in these cases.
    03-20-14 01:30 PM
    What if by removing the 'less-used' technologies, like the NFC and WiFi 802.11b, means lowering the handset costs thus making the Q20's price tag cheaper?
    I am not sure but I'd expect all this stuff is being built into the chipsets regardless of whether one chooses to use it. For sure 802.11b is (obviously).
    03-20-14 01:33 PM
    I used it in lots of place, if they have Nfc on their interact thing I can pay using my phone.
    Yeah it appears to be more widespread in Canada for sure (assuming you mean CA).
    03-20-14 01:35 PM
    I honestly don't see much added convenience of using your smartphone to pay for merchandise as opposed to a credit card. There are both technological and security issues with using smartphones as a wallet.
    Agree. From a convenience point of view -- from the perspective of the payments industry -- there's not much to gain with NFC. There are complications like when someone's having an issue with their phone whilst the line waits behind them. etc. Dying batteries and all the other unexpected crap that pops up with tech. Like the person in line that decides to install the updated NFC payment app they need -- as they wait in line -- and then it gets all FUBAR'ed. And they left all their plastic at home. They don't carry cash. So now a 5 minute back and forth ensues with the cashier.

However the Target and other large retail breaches this passed year are putting pressure on the payments industry to get rid of the silly plastic card with magnetic stripes that can be openly read by almost anything.

But even then the solution will likely be something that is more controlled by the traditional players. Something like Chip and PIN.

Though in the case of Target the hackers had actual access to the on machine data. So this wouldn't have helped far as I know. Nonetheless there is pressure to adopt something a bit better.
    blee4 and Joe Clean like this.
    03-20-14 01:49 PM
    I'm not surprised that the US hasn't really adopted NFC for mobile payments as iPhones hold almost 50% of the US market share.

If Apple's going to adopt NFC for future iPhones, the US will praise Apple for the greatest innovation ever just like their fingerprint scanner.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 01:53 PM
    I use nfc daily
    I have nfc tags on my front door, car dash, on my door at work, in the work truck, on the stereo at home and at work.

This helps me connect to my stereos (home car work car and shop) wifi router

I use nfc to buy my coffee daily.

Nfc makes life easy and no more forgetting to turn settings on and off when I leave work or home

Also use nfc to transfer files between people at work and home.

Beats the 5-6 steps to connect blue tooth and send file

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 02:21 PM
    I'm not surprised that the US hasn't really adopted NFC for mobile payments as iPhones hold almost 50% of the US market share.

If Apple's going to adopt NFC for future iPhones, the US will praise Apple for the greatest innovation ever just like their fingerprint scanner.

Posted via CB10
    Don't think Apple has 50% of the US market place anymore . I believe Android in running away with it.
    Majority of businesses tend to shy away from implementation of new technology until it becomes common place. I don't think we will see Apple introduce NFC anytime soon because it's not in their scope at this moment. When they determine a new means of profiting from it they will. I'm surprised they haven't done it yet to be honest. When they introduced their pass book I thought they would have. But since it never took off as they were expecting it's pushed to the back burner.
    I think we will see more "innovation" from Apple after iTV is released. They have a tendency of focusing all energy into producing solid products instead of jumping all over the place. Why? It's because they know they world will wait for them to get it right.
    03-20-14 03:16 PM
    I do. For some reason, I don't know if it's because of my wallet, because I use them a lot, or because I sometimes sweat a lot (I carry my wallet with me so I have identification when I go out to exercise) or what, but some of my credit cards always go bad in a very short period of time. I'm sick of having to change them every few months because the magnetic strip stops working. I'm sure if I use them less, it would be less of an issue, with hopefully more retailers accepting NFC payments I won't have to worry about this as much...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-20-14 03:25 PM
    Agree. From a convenience point of view -- from the perspective of the payments industry -- there's not much to gain with NFC. There are complications like when someone's having an issue with their phone whilst the line waits behind them. etc. Dying batteries and all the other unexpected crap that pops up with tech. Like the person in line that decides to install the updated NFC payment app they need -- as they wait in line -- and then it gets all FUBAR'ed. And they left all their plastic at home. They don't carry cash. So now a 5 minute back and forth ensues with the cashier.

However the Target and other large retail breaches this passed year are putting pressure on the payments industry to get rid of the silly plastic card with magnetic stripes that can be openly read by almost anything.

But even then the solution will likely be something that is more controlled by the traditional players. Something like Chip and PIN.

Though in the case of Target the hackers had actual access to the on machine data. So this wouldn't have helped far as I know. Nonetheless there is pressure to adopt something a bit better.
    I disagree, I can get my phone out of its holster in 1/5th the time it would take me to take my wallet out and then try to pick the right credit card out of it with my fingertips...

Just ask anyone living in a place where NFC payments is widespread and ask them how convenient it is.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    21stNow likes this.
    03-20-14 03:27 PM
205 1234 ...