Although I am not sure where to post this, since it surrounds my Classic I am posting here. Mods, feel free to move it if there is a better place.

I purchased the BlackBerry Care Protection Plan when it first came out.

To my horror, twelve days ago, in a fluke accident, I dropped my phone and despite a good case and a seemingly gentle fall, shattered my screen. I filed a claim. And heard nothing. I called and emailed them. After waiting on hold for a considerable amount of time, an agent took my call and said that I needed to wait for the correct department to call me to take my credit card for the deductible before they could process my claim. I asked if she could take that information to which she responded negatively.

After hanging up, within minutes, I received an email saying that I needed to call a number (the number in the email was off the correct number by one digit and was actually a rape hotline-not making this up!) to reprocess the claim as it had been rejected since I hadn't provided a credit card number. To the best of my recollection when I made the claim online there was no place to enter a credit card and I assumed that they would just use the one they had on file for the monthly payments......
    I called back, getting the correct number from my agreement again and waited on hold again. Long story short, after multiple holds the agent gave me three options . I opted for the $99 deductible with no deposit and they would send me a label so I could send my phone. Of course that office was already closed for the day so I would have to wait another day.

After days went by, I called again. This time the excuse was that the order was backlogged. More time went by. I called again. After being told they couldn't help me and demanding to speak to a supervisor and more holds, a supervisor assured me a label was being emailed to me at once. She said if I didn't receive it in 10 minutes to call back. Of course she couldn't give me a direct line. An hour later after checking my spam box, I called back again and spent another hour on hold to be told there was no supervisor by that name. I asked to speak to any supervisor. Finally another "supervisor" took my information and put me on hold. After another extensive hold, I have to hand it to them for originality, I was told this time that the label generating program was down.

I am still waiting and calling daily. Some days I wait on hold long enough to speak to an agent other days I hang up after waiting as long as I could. The latest excuses are less memorable. No label.

Almost two weeks have passed. Tomorrow I will take my phone to a local shop for repair and pay out of pocket. I will then call my credit card and ask them to credit back the deductible and monthly charges that have been, in my view, fraudently collected.

(Full disclosure: For residents of Alberta, Manitoba, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Quebec, BlackBerry Care is an extended warranty contract provided and administrated by AMT Warranty Corp. of Canada, ULC (as obligor), 1900 736 � 6th Avenue SW Calgary, Alberta T2P 3T7 (c/o P.O. Box 1189, Bedford, TX 76095; USA).)
    Posted via CB10

Update: July 16: See post # 15 below. I discovered that despite having agreed to a $99 CAD deductible and confirming that at time of supplying credit card, they in fact, charged me $99 USD.

Update: July 17: See post # 27 below: BlackBerry agrees to investigate the entire matter.

Update July 23: See post # 23 below: Others begin to acknowledge have been charged in USD instead of CAD, as well. Almost a 30% difference.

Update: July 23: No refund and no news from BlackBerry. Three weeks after the original claim and 5 days after BlackBerry promised to look into it. Hmmmm.

Update: July 31: Almost a full month has gone by. Despite the promise of a supervisor, no refund. No response from the company despite messages left. No progress attempting to get BlackBerry to resolve the issue either. Quite frustrating.

Update: August 11: no refund and no follow-up by BlackBerry. The Better Business Bureau has been contacted and brought up to speed.
    Last edited by wbbeinuni; 08-11-15 at 02:01 PM.
    07-14-15 11:05 PM
    That is terrible! I wouldnt let them get away with it

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-14-15 11:14 PM
    What a bunch of crooks. Sounds like something Assurion would do

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    07-15-15 12:34 AM
    Big corporations need the sweet milk of customer suffering to survive. It is a life and death issue for them.
    BCITMike likes this.
    07-15-15 11:14 AM
    I had a few similar incidents (although not with Blackberry) and just like in your case, heard from other similar cases as well.

So as a result, these days, whenever I purchase something new and the sales person is trying to pitch me any add-on protection plan, I TURN IT DOWN with great confidence.
    07-15-15 11:41 AM
    I had a few similar incidents (although not with Blackberry) and just like in your case, heard from other similar cases as well.

So as a result, these days, whenever I purchase something new and the sales person is trying to pitch me any add-on protection plan, I TURN IT DOWN with great confidence.
    Frankly, I like the concept. I was happy when BlackBerry offered it because, unlike programs offered by carriers, they were upfront (or so, I thought) about the program's limitations (i.e. deductible, replacement with refurbished device, exclusions, etc.).

I was quite disappointed to discover that the system simply doesn't work.

I suppose that I, too, will reject the option in the future at least until I hear of someone providing an honest efficient service.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 03:55 PM
    This reminds me that I have to actually cancel my plan. I too was pretty excited for this plan when it was first announced.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    07-15-15 06:01 PM
    BlackBerry will never learn! This makes me hate BlackBerry! Why don't you file a case in the consumer court?

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and MKDS like this.
    07-15-15 07:00 PM
    To be fair to BlackBerry this is only their fault as far as making poor choices regarding whom to partner with. Like Shop BlackBerry, the provider with whom the contacted should have been better vetted.

Regarding court, besides the headache, and time wasted the out of pocket cost is minimal. I am paying $165 for the repair and the money I am disputing on my credit card which includes the $99 deductible plus mostly payments totaling $33 is $132. For the $33 difference I might win in a small claims suit court would be ridiculous (filing costs $75). The provider of this "service" is, no doubt, well aware of this fact.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 08:29 PM
    Only insure something you can't afford to replace is the best advice I have ever heard. Car, house and life is all I will ever pay to insure.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 08:41 PM
    Thanks for sharing.

As BlackBerry fans there's no reason for us to put up with that kind of crap.

From the purchase experience(shopblackberry, not on shelves), to the OS updates(some have to wait a year), to warranty issues like yours - seems like BlackBerry does not have their act together if they want to maintain any kind of hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 12:07 AM
    Thanks for sharing.

As BlackBerry fans there's no reason for us to put up with that kind of crap.

From the purchase experience(shopblackberry, not on shelves), to the OS updates(some have to wait a year), to warranty issues like yours - seems like BlackBerry does not have their act together if they want to maintain any kind of hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    The sad thing is that despite this, the ShopBlackBerry debacle and most significantly the ignoring of the double typing defect, I am still one of those who can only function to capacity with a BlackBerry with a solid keyboard. No other phone comes close in terms of productivity.
    In for no other reason, for selfish ones, I want to see BlackBerry succeed despite all odds. Issues such as these don't help.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 08:35 AM
    I'd go bonkers,you try and make life easy and they screw things up!
    07-16-15 08:45 AM
    What a bunch of frauds.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    07-16-15 09:11 AM
    To add insult to injury: [After,a supervisor agreed, at last, to refund my deductible and all of my payments allowing me to avoid pursuing the issue with my cc (of course, they can't (!) refund my credit card and have to send a cheque.)........
    They are sending me a cheque for all of my payments in Canadian funds which is what I expected.]

When I paid the deductible, I asked to confirm that a) the charge was $99 CDN and b) it would be charged in Canadian dollars (otherwise I would have used my US credit card to avoid the conversion fee on top of a poor rate of exchange). In fact, when I log into my plan, it clearly shows Canadian.
    Beware of BLACKBERRY CARE PROTECTION PLAN-img_20150716_224744_edit.png
    To my great disappointment, reviewing my CC (I hadn't seen it until just now as the took their time running it or the bank took time to display it and it wasn't there the last time I looked about 10 days ago) I see the following entry:
    Beware of BLACKBERRY CARE PROTECTION PLAN-capture.png
    So a) they charged me $99 USD instead of CDN and b) they ran a USD charge on my Canadian CC which will cost me dearly.

I should have guessed!
    Last edited by wbbeinuni; 07-17-15 at 02:53 PM.
    07-16-15 02:00 PM
    Damm I'm wondering if it's worth me keeping this?

Posted from my Tmobile ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.2.798
    07-18-15 07:54 PM
    In my opinion you are paying for the privilege of experiencing great aggravation.

Posted via CB10
    andy957, devin266, MKDS and 2 others like this.
    07-18-15 09:44 PM
    Only insure something you can't afford to replace is the best advice I have ever heard. Car, house and life is all I will ever pay to insure.

Posted via CB10
    What he says. Never pay for any stuff like that. You'll always be at loss. Whenever something bad happens to your phone at the start or at the end of contract or nothing bad happens at all you'll be at loss.
    They have covered all possible scenarios and in the end they will win no matter what.
    so crow, sully_p, lift and 2 others like this.
    07-19-15 07:15 PM
    Does anyone know how to cancel the subscription ? I cannot find a cancel option anywhere. Thank you

Posted from my Tmobile ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.2.798
    07-20-15 11:35 AM
    You will need to call them and wait on hold......

Posted via CB10
    07-22-15 11:12 AM
    With Apple Care you book an appointment online. Show up at your nearest Apple store pay them for the screen and they give you a refurbished phone and even offer to restore your phone for you. The refurbished phone are like brand new phone the only difference is its not in the same packaging if you were to buy it new.

It's literally a 20 minute process if you don't go for the restore.

None of this craptacular BlackBerry service. Also Apple administers their repairs and warranties themselves none of this contracting out to third party companies.

I would not want to have to try to get my battery replaced by BlackBerry because it's non removable on the classic and passport.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende, Bonnie Bonzai and MKDS like this.
    07-22-15 08:24 PM
    I would not want to have to try to get my battery replaced by BlackBerry because it's non removable on the classic and passport.
    Agreed.

I would not let anybody with my Blackberry going out of sight. Otherwise how could I be sure my stored info wasn't copied.
    07-22-15 09:28 PM
    To add insult to injury: [After,a supervisor agreed, at last, to refund my deductible and all of my payments allowing me to avoid pursuing the issue with my cc (of course, they can't (!) refund my credit card and have to send a cheque.)........
    They are sending me a cheque for all of my payments in Canadian funds which is what I expected.]

When I paid the deductible, I asked to confirm that a) the charge was $99 CDN and b) it would be charged in Canadian dollars (otherwise I would have used my US credit card to avoid the conversion fee on top of a poor rate of exchange). In fact, when I log into my plan, it clearly shows Canadian.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150716_224744_edit.png 
Views:	1000 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	362963
    To my great disappointment, reviewing my CC (I hadn't seen it until just now as the took their time running it or the bank took time to display it and it wasn't there the last time I looked about 10 days ago) I see the following entry:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	884 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	362760
    So a) they charged me $99 USD instead of CDN and b) they ran a USD charge on my Canadian CC which will cost me dearly.

I should have guessed!
    I was wondering about this. I just made a claim on Monday. I was wondering why my credit card was charge more than $129. Very annoying. But I guess paying $200 (the deductible + monthly insurance cost) to date is still cheaper than dropping about $799 or whatever a new red Passport costs.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.2.2339 / Telus
    07-22-15 09:50 PM
    I was wondering about this. I just made a claim on Monday. I was wondering why my credit card was charge more than $129. Very annoying. But I guess paying $200 (the deductible + monthly insurance cost) to date is still cheaper than dropping about $799 or whatever a new red Passport costs.

In all of the paperwork it says Canadian $. If you ask them as it did they say Canadian. Then they charge you USD. Out right fraud. Don't take it sitting down.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 01:32 AM
    In all of the paperwork it says Canadian $. If you ask them as it did they say Canadian. Then they charge you USD. Out right fraud. Don't take it sitting down.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Just emailed a nice email to the customer service desk to investigate.

07-23-15 05:49 AM
65 123