Than* and please cite sources of the statistics. All of my friends use SMS in addition to Whatsapp, some only SMS, don't know a single person who doesn't use SMS...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    WhatsApp sails past SMS, but where does messaging go next? ? Benedict Evans

Google it, there's more sources available
    02-28-16 05:13 PM
    So when you meet someone new (a real world interaction, not someone from a forum or somewhere across the interwebz) you mean to tell me you offer them your Whatsapp info as your primary contact info? Haha Get out of here... If someone approaches me and offers me their messenger contact info as a means of getting in touch with them alarms definitely are going off and the likelyhood I ever reach out is slim to none... Shady... Whereas the text message, phone call aspect rings as more personal and legit. Come on now, I know you adore your little messenger app thing, but let's be real here... We're all adults here after all... 14 year olds giving up messengers as primary contact info I can see, but grown adults?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    My whatsapp info?
    Its my phone number.

what whatsapp info are you talking about? do you know how whatsapp works?
    it's not like bbm. If i have someones phonenumber and they use whatsapp, then they can contact me via whatsapp.
    There's no signing up or anything like that

Just exchange phone numbers like you would do for texting
    02-28-16 05:15 PM
    It's not as widely used as others would think either.

Ok If you like to use text thats fine, but dont tell me it does the same thing as IM apps and is on the same level.
    I don't. I would prefer to use a messenger of ANY sort but it's not happening. I have my Facebook contacts synced and thought I'd get somewhere with Whatsapp installs, but after installing and having Whatsapp look at my contacts it turns out there's a whopping 6 people that have it installed and 2 that actually tried it. Same story with all the popular messaging apps. I've gotten this far with a BlackBerry at work just because nobody there uses anything besides email and/or text.

Do I associate with quite a few troglodytes? More than I'd care to admit. However, they're the vast majority out there and they're the people I have to deal with on a daily basis. So, texting or email it is.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 05:17 PM
    I don't. I would prefer to use a messenger of ANY sort but it's not happening. I have my Facebook contacts synced and thought I'd get somewhere with Whatsapp installs, but after installing and having Whatsapp look at my contacts it turns out there's a whopping 6 people that have it installed and 2 that actually tried it. Same story with all the popular messaging apps. I've gotten this far with a BlackBerry at work just because nobody there uses anything besides email and/or text.

Do I associate with quite a few troglodytes? More than I'd care to admit. However, they're the vast majority out there and they're the people I ha e to deal with on a daily basis. So, texting or email it is.

Posted via CB10
    Thats fair enough

Different people have different tastes. Its why some people have a large active BBM list and i couldn't get 1 person to use it.
    My point that i was making in an extremely hypocritical manner was dont belittle a platform simply because you dont use it yourself
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-28-16 05:20 PM
    My whatsapp info?
    Its my phone number.

what whatsapp info are you talking about? do you know how whatsapp works?
    it's not like bbm. If i have someones phonenumber and they use whatsapp, then they can contact me via whatsapp.
    There's no signing up or anything like that

Just exchange phone numbers like you would do for texting
    Haven't used Whatsapp in years, I was speaking broadly in terms of messengers, but if it's simply your cell phone number then essentially it is just a text anyways... I don't see a difference (could be because my carrier offers WiFi calling, so these broken texts or out of order texts you spoke of earlier simply don't happen. Nor do I pay for mms or sms - international or otherwise on my plan - either.)

Its simply another app I'd be giving permissions to simply to text. In that case, not only moot, but now redundant and unnecessary... My stance remains, definitely not an app I feel I'm missing... I'll keep it simple. Text my phone number, I'll stick with my inbox...

02-28-16 05:23 PM
    Haven't used Whatsapp in years, I was speaking broadly in terms of messengers, but if it's simply your cell phone number then essentially it is just a text anyways... I don't see a difference (could be because my carrier offers WiFi calling, so these broken texts or out of order texts you spoke of earlier simply don't happen. Nor do I pay for mms or sms - international or otherwise on my plan - either.)

Its simply another app I'd be giving permissions to simply to text. In that case, not only moot, but now redundant and unnecessary... My stance remains, definitely not an app I feel I'm missing... I'll keep it simple. Text my phone number, I'll stick with my inbox...

fair enough, as i said its essentially an enhanced text messaging service.
    It does offer more than what traditional SMS can do, but if you dont want to use it thats your perogative

Edit: If wifi calling extended to sms then that would be something.
    One of the main reasons people use whatsapp over sms is the data and wifi coverage is far more vast then network coverage. At least where i am from anyway
    02-28-16 05:24 PM
    Thats fair enough

Different people have different tastes. Its why some people have a large active BBM list and i couldn't get 1 person to use it.
    My point that i was making in an extremely hypocritical manner was dont belittle a platform simply because you dont use it yourself
    I getcha. That bit in bold makes a great PSA.

Posted via CB10
    darkehawke likes this.
    02-28-16 05:41 PM
    Are you in anyway suggesting that text is more secure then IM's? a text that goes through and is logged in a Service Centre? Yeah sure that's secure.

I will concede that i forget that people who live in places like the US do not enjoy widespread data coverage.

Yes everyone has unlimited messages, but whatsapp is still preferable. Ever been in a low coverage area and received a long SMS that only half comes through, or comes in the wrong order.
    And MMS is not covered by data or SMS charges and cost extra for quite a few networks.
    So maybe look at your crap before trying to preach nonsense to me
    Nope, never had a SMS only come in half way or in the wrong order. I guess your country can't afford cell towers to provide enough mobile coverage through your country. I can be in the middle of the everglades and still get service to text or make phone calls, but data would be spotty. Do you have a mobile wifi drone following you everywhere or something?

And you talk about the text being logged in a service center. So you think messages sent through Whatsapp goes straight to the phones and are not being logged by some data hub owned by Whatsapp or any other 3rd party server they go through? LMAO!!

And I don't know about where you live, but here MMS is sent through data but is considered part of the SMS plan, which 99.9% of plans out there include unlimited talk and text...

02-28-16 06:09 PM
    Go on to read that it's different in the USA, where I live. But that's good, you're part of the majority, congrats. I never care to be part of the majority or minority. I do things that work for me regardless of if it's cool or popular. I think anyone who puts importance to things like that before they make their decisions need to get a mind of their own and stop following crowds, but that's just me, I'm weird I know...

But hey, I'm sure the people behind Whatsapp is happy that people are falling for it. They make more money the more data they mine. The moment you install the app they immediately get access to every phone number in your contact list. Cha ching! I mean, I wonder if people ever stop to wonder how companies can provide "free" services... You pay for SMS, it's part of your plan, you know why they are giving that to you...

02-28-16 06:17 PM
    This news made me sad enough that I placed all my bb10 devices on sale on Craigslist. I will be only using Priv from now on.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 06:18 PM
    fair enough, as i said its essentially an enhanced text messaging service.
    It does offer more than what traditional SMS can do, but if you dont want to use it thats your perogative

Edit: If wifi calling extended to sms then that would be something.
    One of the main reasons people use whatsapp over sms is the data and wifi coverage is far more vast then network coverage. At least where i am from anyway
    Kind of sad that you don't get good network coverage where you are. I wonder, can you dial emergency services using whatsapp??

Or if you're about to be attacked and all you have is wifi, you google some cat pictures and hope that calms your assailant?

02-28-16 06:19 PM
    Go on to read that it's different in the USA, where I live. But that's good, you're part of the majority, congrats. I never care to be part of the majority or minority. I do things that work for me regardless of if it's cool or popular. I think anyone who puts importance to things like that before they make their decisions need to get a mind of their own and stop following crowds, but that's just me, I'm weird I know...

But hey, I'm sure the people behind Whatsapp is happy that people are falling for it. They make more money the more data they mine. The moment you install the app they immediately get access to every phone number in your contact list. Cha ching! I mean, I wonder if people ever stop to wonder how companies can provide "free" services... You pay for SMS, it's part of your plan, you know why they are giving that to you...

haha ok

you liked SMS before they were cool right.

Please provide the evidence that whatsapp goes through a service centre
    MaxxxBerry23 likes this.
    02-28-16 06:19 PM
    This news made me sad enough that I placed all my bb10 devices on sale on Craigslist. I will be only using Priv from now on.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, that was fast. Exactly what what's app wanted.

Posted with Passport SE
    02-28-16 06:20 PM
    Kind of sad that you don't get good network coverage where you are. I wonder, can you dial emergency services using whatsapp??

Or if you're about to be attacked and all you have is wifi, you google some cat pictures and hope that calms your assailant?

Kind of sad you cant get data for a smartphone.

Never mind.
    02-28-16 06:20 PM
    calm down mate! Whatsapp is just going to end their support for BB10. Its not the end of the world because their current version on BB10 is stable at its best. When apps get to a state "near perfect", they won't need updates.
    I'll be happy using the current version for the next few years.
    People already said BB10 is dead so why would you worry about BB10 without Whatsapp?
    02-28-16 07:41 PM
    WhatsApp is my favorite messaging app and their BB10 app is my favorite implementation of it so I'm pretty disappointed. I think this is a pretty big blow to BB10 being a communication-focused OS. At this point I'm just curious if they'll flip a kill switch immediately, remove it from BB World, or just stop updating it so sometime in the next few years the API changes and it no longer works. Hopefully it's the latter. I'm more and more inclined to think by the end of 2016 I'll be using a new iPhone 7 as my main phone sadly so this is just fuel to the fire.
    02-28-16 08:41 PM
    Never used or needed whatsApp. I don't know a single person using it.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-16 08:43 PM
    For every problem there is always a solution . Doesnt matter . I will sideload it from google play store . Nothing to whine about . Life will continue normal as always .
    02-29-16 12:18 AM
    For those who are ragging on us that cannot function on BB10 without Whatsapp, just because it is not important to you doesn't mean it is not important to someone else, or that because an OS doesn't meet our specific need means we are traitors to a brand. For what? Will being loyal to a brand mean anything more significant in my life or add to it any significant value than if I had never had BB in my life? I perish such trivial thoughts.

But I digress. Whatsapp is a tool I use to communicate daily with all of my family and friends back home in Nigeria. Without it I am basically cut off from most if not all of them. I can easily send voice notes, pictures, videos, etc. Not all of them have BBM and it is much easier for them to use Whtsapp. In fact I would be surprised at the number of those who didn't have Whatsapp back at home. It is that prevalent.

So for those who say they haven't meet anyone who uses Whatsapp, okay. That is valid
    But don't make it seem like because you don't use it, it must be an app for "lesser" users from the attitude I have been reading in some posts on this thread.

/rant
    02-29-16 01:13 AM
    I'm not a little kiddie, I don't use Snapchat or Instagram or anything, but WhatsApp pretty much replaced SMS in Germany. I tried to use the Android Version but notifications and sounds don't work as expected. This is the end for me, I will switch back to Android, but HELL I'll never buy a PRIV except it's price dropped to 200�... Even then, I'd prefer using a Moto G, which has a better build quality as this desastrous PRIV...
    02-29-16 05:14 AM
    I'm not a little kiddie, I don't use Snapchat or Instagram or anything, but WhatsApp pretty much replaced SMS in Germany. I tried to use the Android Version but notifications and sounds don't work as expected. This is the end for me, I will switch back to Android, but HELL I'll never buy a PRIV except it's price dropped to 200€... Even then, I'd prefer using a Moto G, which has a better build quality as this desastrous PRIV...
    My hat for your choice and opinion regarding priv. I have installed and been running the android's Whatsapp on my OG Passport for the last two days, and it works FLAWLESSLY. Honest! The notification works, the sound works--it is VERY LOUD, even. I can even do whatsapp wifi calling, just like the BB10 version. Please try again. You really do not need to get an android device just for whatsapp.
    02-29-16 05:36 AM
    Couldn't care less... whatsapp or snapchat! Text, email or call...

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 05:45 AM
    It's incredible how out of touch with the real world people seem to be on here. If the mindset displayed here prevails inside BlackBerry as well, no wonder the company has continuously been going down the drain. Oh well

I have never been to a country except for the USA where texting with text messages, the most basic and ancient form for texting still is the most dominant one. No Emoticons. No read or delivery receipts. No easy media sharing. No free voice calls over the internet. No free messages to contacts abroad. No profile pictures or status. No group messaging. No voice messaging. I guess all of those oh-so important business-only BlackBerry users here either do business only in their local county or have a very generous employer that likes to pay hundreds of $$$ for roaming txt msgs every months.

Either those who deny a reason for existence of the most important messaging app in mobile have no friends whatsoever or their life must be incredibly boring and not worth sharing. Its okay if you prefer living in 2006 but please don't pretend its the right thing to do for a multimillion, international company. I personally don't know a single person in my contacts - not even my grandma of nearly 80 years - who chooses texting via SMS over WhatsApp. Let's not forget WhatsApp is also one of the most convenient and intuitive messaging apps, sadly even more so than BBM, with exchange of phone numbers being enough for new contacts to be added. To all those security fanatics out there: Your WhatsApp account phone # can be different from your actual phone number used for calling so that's not a reason to pass on it

Sadly, it looks like I will use my BlackBerry less and less. After 10 years of ownership and close to 20 devices I've bought from my favourite company it has come to the point where the most basic apps ever will not be supported anymore and even the most loyal users will be prompted to abandon BlackBerry for normal, daily use tasks.
    I'd love to hold on to BlackBerry as much as I can and definitely will keep my Passport for awesome call quality, keyboard, the best camera I have ever used and roughly 300 BBM contacts I'd like to keep in touch with. BUT I guess I'll have to move my WhatsApp to iPhone only by 2017.

No, the Android version is not a great alternative. Works just as great as 4.7 on the Storm did. No Hub Support, no quick replies, no holding the space key to send voice messages

Will being loyal to a brand mean anything more significant in my life or add to it any significant value than if I had never had BB in my life?
    Very much yes! Over the years I got to know lots of great people in the BlackBerry community, had lots of fun engaging in different forums all over the world, participating in BBM groups, got great deals on devices and lastly had the best phone I could wish for. An iPhone or Android may be nice, sure, but it lacks the soul and compassion of a BlackBerry.

Let's not kid ourselves here, a life with BlackBerry will always be better than one without!
    Last edited by MaxxxBerry23; 02-29-16 at 06:35 AM.
    02-29-16 05:49 AM
    Extremely well said Maxx.
    02-29-16 07:25 AM
    I guess it's fair enough in a thread with the phrase "How do you feel?" in the title that some people don't feel anything at all about WhatsApp's decision, because they don't use it. I felt/feel the same way about SnapChat and Instagram. But I never made the move from "I don't care about them" to "They don't matter." They clearly do matter, and so does WhatsApp. It matters because whether or not we think it should be, it is a globally important and relevant communication tool. BBM could perhaps have been that, but that's not how things played out.

I give WhatsApp credit for sticking with BlackBerry as long as they did. No one can accuse them of jumping to conclusions about BB10.
    02-29-16 07:51 AM
266 12345 ...