I may have missed it but, where is the Crackberry article on this?

This is big news and all I can see is when Star Wars 7 is being released digitally and where in the world the Priv is opening next?
    03-08-16 07:13 AM
    I may have missed it but, where is the Crackberry article on this?

This is big news and all I can see is when Star Wars 7 is being released digitally and where in the world the Priv is opening next?
    You mean this one with over a thousand comments http://crackberry.com/whatsapp-end-s...sions-end-2016 ?

Via Pasta CB10
    03-08-16 07:46 AM
    Pardon my stupidity, can I ask, when whatsapp said it's going to stop WA support to blackberry, it only means that there'll be no more updates right?

It does not mean that the whatsapp app will be taken out from blackberry world, and that we can still download and use whatsapp, but only the older version, and not the updated one iPhone or Android phones have. Right ?
    03-08-16 11:26 AM
    Pardon my stupidity, can I ask, when whatsapp said it's going to stop WA support to blackberry, it only means that there'll be no more updates right?

It does not mean that the whatsapp app will be taken out from blackberry world, and that we can still download and use whatsapp, but only the older version, and not the updated one iPhone or Android phones have. Right ?
    Doubt it. No more updates eventually means no more functionality. It's going to be pulled from BlackBerry World as well imho.

Via Pasta CB10
    03-08-16 11:37 AM
    Might be pulled from BBW like mentioned. But you guys can still use the Android version. They will keep it functional for even older versions of Android because the excuse they gave for why they are ending support makes no sense. More likely they are just trying to help push the market to have fewer types devices because this helps the app developers and the corporations making the devices (doesn't help consumers at all, actually hurts consumers, but whatever, it's cool to go along with it, so fall in line!).

Just look back in the last few decades and notice how there were big technological leaps every few years. Now we went for like almost 8 years without any significant development. Wonder why that is... Fewer choices mean less competition. Less competition means less need for innovation since the corporations are comfortable with the status quo. Fewer innovations mean less R&D for both app developers and hardware manufacturers. All they have to do is piggy back off developments in the computing hardware business, slap some gimmicky things on their phones every now and then, and that's it...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-08-16 11:45 AM
    Just download and install the android version from Snap or the amazon app store (if it's there), continue to use it. If they don't want to support BB10, we will continue to use their alternatives until they stop supporting jellybean. Lol

Posted via the dark theme (mobile delta) on the crackberry webforums via my classic's webkit browser on windmobile hspa+
    03-08-16 02:14 PM
    But what happens to those who already has whatsapp installed in their blackberry? It will just stop working one day in 2017?
    03-08-16 03:03 PM
    But what happens to those who already has whatsapp installed in their blackberry? It will just stop working one day in 2017?
    No. It will keep on working. Even way beyond 2017. Just have no more update nor customer supports. After which you could install the android version if you wish, but do not install the update for fear of unsupported android runtime, unless we can be sure which android version is supported by BB10's ART at that moment.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-16 06:30 PM
    The BB10 Android Runtime is on API Level 18, also known as Android Jelly Bean MR2 or just Android 4.3.
    If Whatsapp decides to end service for BB10 devices, we should be able to enjoy the android apps for a good amount of time, since about a quarter of all androids ran Jelly Bean by january this year. Jelly Bean means API Level 16 to 18 or in other words (well, actually in other numbers) Android versions 4.1 to 4.3. It's just speculation, but it is not very likely that whatsapp is not abandon this big amount of users very soon.

This informations are from statista since I couldn't find the official page of the actual quotas on the go.

http://de.statista.com/statistik/dat...it-android-os/

Via SQC100-1/10.3.2.2836
    03-08-16 07:09 PM
    In that case, I think whatsapp 's move to cease support for non ios or Android system devices is not due to them wanting to get rid of competition.

It must be due to development that they have for whatsapp and that while it's easy to implement those changes on ios and Android devices, it's resource taxing to implement them on blackberry devices and such. In business sense, their decision to abandon support for us is not illogical.

We may not know what development they have for whatsapp's future. It could be social media related, such as integrating Facebook functions or stuff. I don't know. But one thing I know is that, majority of the people who holds blackberry instead of iPhone or Android uses whatsapp for ease of communication and not for its social media related functions.

Because of that, blackberry users should not be affected with "no support or new versions for BlackBerry devices", as we're definitely happy with how whatsapp is currently. Simple, easy to use, and most importantly not resource draining.
    03-08-16 10:47 PM
    Ever heard of groups?

Let's say (like many of us) you have a family or friends WA group, to discuss things, send pictures to all etc. you can not be part of that via sms. I know the self-called hard core people will now say 'who needs groups anyhow...and f@ social media stuff'.

In terms of communication...this is how the vast majority likes to ,and does, communicate theses days, and if a BlackBerry can't do that...well it is really not a good communicator anymore, period.

Posted via CB10
    For those purposes BBM will do just fine. And you can use its calendar and lists features as a bonus, comparing to whatsapp.

Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2876 White
    03-09-16 02:17 AM
    I think it's not a question on how reliable and secure a messenger tool is. It's a question of: will I stay in contact with my friends?
    Sadly I'm the only one under my friends using a blackberry and therefore the only one who is "cut off". I can't tell all my friend to start using BBM or whatever, because the won't!
    Imo it's really bad for a company that is producing "pro communication devices" that they can't keep the most used messaging service alive on there phones.
    If this will happen I have to decide to use a other phone or sacrifice the communication with my friends.

My 2 cent

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 02:55 AM
    I think it's not a question on how reliable and secure a messenger tool is. It's a question of: will I stay in contact with my friends?Sadly I'm the only one under my friends using a blackberry and therefore the only one who is "cut off". I can't tell all my friend to start using BBM or whatever, because the won't!Imo it's really bad for a company that is producing "pro communication devices" that they can't keep the most used messaging service alive on there phones. If this will happen I have to decide to use a other phone or sacrifice the communication with my friends. My 2 centPosted via CB10
    Thing is, BlackBerry didn't tell whatsapp to discontinue development, mark zuckerberg did. It's unfortunate, but we can't blame BlackBerry for the mistakes zuckerberg's corporation is making. Excluding BlackBerry is very silly. I wonder what they think about Microsoft, their marketshare (in mobile) is comparable and small too. I don't even know how many world-wide even use windows powered cellular phones (not talking about windows CE/mobile 6.1/7/7.5, pocket PC 200x).
    03-09-16 03:27 AM
    The problem of whatsapp is that now most of the time sms are free from telecom provider. Personally to send message I do not need whatsapp. Maybe for 2 groups but that's it.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 03:40 AM
    Thing is, BlackBerry didn't tell whatsapp to discontinue development, mark zuckerberg did. It's unfortunate, but we can't blame BlackBerry for the mistakes zuckerberg's corporation is making. Excluding BlackBerry is very silly. I wonder what they think about Microsoft, their marketshare (in mobile) is comparable and small too. I don't even know how many world-wide even use windows powered cellular phones (not talking about windows CE/mobile 6.1/7/7.5, pocket PC 200x).
    You are right. But what I wanted to say is that blackberry didn't / couldn't convince MZ that it would be a great idea to keep whatsapp alive on bb10, because "communication" is what blackberry makes strong.
    And what did microsoft right, that they still in "business" with whatsapp?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 04:23 AM
    Thought I had missed it - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    03-09-16 05:33 AM
    Why do you read and even reply to this thread then? Just asking...

SQC100-1 BlackBerry Classic
    Because I am willing to learn about things that I am not familiar with.

I communicate with professional customers in many countries around the world (but not Brazil) and not one has ever mentioned WA, whereas all use e-mail.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 08:56 AM
    In that case, I think whatsapp 's move to cease support for non ios or Android system devices is not due to them wanting to get rid of competition.

It must be due to development that they have for whatsapp and that while it's easy to implement those changes on ios and Android devices, it's resource taxing to implement them on blackberry devices and such. In business sense, their decision to abandon support for us is not illogical.

We may not know what development they have for whatsapp's future. It could be social media related, such as integrating Facebook functions or stuff. I don't know. But one thing I know is that, majority of the people who holds blackberry instead of iPhone or Android uses whatsapp for ease of communication and not for its social media related functions.

Because of that, blackberry users should not be affected with "no support or new versions for BlackBerry devices", as we're definitely happy with how whatsapp is currently. Simple, easy to use, and most importantly not resource draining.
    From what I've read, they had ONE employee maintaining the BB10 version of the app. Yep, they are saving tons of money with this initiative...

03-09-16 09:07 AM
    From what I've read, they had ONE employee maintaining the BB10 version of the app. Yep, they are saving tons of money with this initiative...

That one employee posts regularly on this forum too, and releases an update to BBW every now and then. They just pushed another update to the Beta zone yesterday.

Continued recent updates hint that WA will almost certainly work for the near future (and will even receive new features, like document sharing which was recently enabled). Eventually you may have to go to an Android port, but for now there is no reason to switch out as the app is arguably one of the best native apps in existence for the platform.
    Kesharik4 likes this.
    03-09-16 12:22 PM
    In Europe, WhatsApp is very important for communication, nobody use BBM; now, if you need a Productivity device nobody choose BlackBerry because productivity is: communications, and WhatsApp is the main app for that in Europe + productivity is use bank apps that notify you incomes or expenditures (not possible with BlackBerry with android app from snap) + productivity is not only manage the emails, now productivity is more.

Posted via CB10
    SchleifeTim likes this.
    03-10-16 02:53 PM
    Who needs whatsapp when you have bbm.
    03-10-16 05:04 PM
    From what I understand, there is a bit of confusion on the functionality of whatsapp.

When the version gets old you are forced to update, at least on os7 devices. So no support means no more whatsapp on legacy phones at least.

Not sure about bb10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-10-16 05:14 PM
    Who needs whatsapp when you have bbm.

Via Pasta CB10
    03-10-16 05:56 PM
    Can someone explain this thread please? I have just upgraded from Z30 to Classic (Z10 originally) and I have never had any problems with Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 02:03 PM
    I hope there will be some way to make whatsapp work for bb10 in future. I'm from Spain and here in Europe without whatsapp you're completely out of communications... I need my passport and classic work with whatsapp, there's no choice.
    Today I tested the android version in my classic and it looks to work great, it wasn't integrated on hub oc but u can see in hub the notification of the app with new messages, but...it only works for ten minutes...when I close the window after a while, it stop and doesn't received more messages...very sad...
    I need soon other way, if not it means I'll change to android and leave BlackBerry forever.
    G.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 03:02 PM
266 ... 7891011