To make it better, whatsapp could just release a final update come january 2017 which will be online throughout. They should keep it buy never make any updates. That could be viable. But I think this is a move by giant smartphone companies to put BlackBerry handset business at jeopardy. This was calculated

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-02-16 11:42 AM
    We still have the option of sideloading a whatsapp apk. Not a major messaging app for me. BBM is king!

I think the numbers say otherwise, if the numbers above are true- 1 billion for whatsapp, 80mill for BBM. I have both on both of my blackberries, and it's basically used for one person only these days. My world network is on whatsapp including BBM strongholds such as Nigeria.
    03-02-16 12:20 PM
    To make it better, whatsapp could just release a final update come january 2017 which will be online throughout. They should keep it buy never make any updates. That could be viable. But I think this is a move by giant smartphone companies to put BlackBerry handset business at jeopardy. This was calculated

At some point the server service will just require a certain version to run, and that's gonna be it for the BB10 app. I really don't think WA did do this on purpose to get BlackBerry out of business....

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 12:53 PM
    I got the Classic the same day this announcement was made. Still trying to decide whether to return it or not. It's still sitting in the box . I don't want to run the Amazon store version.
    03-02-16 01:45 PM
    I think the numbers say otherwise, if the numbers above are true- 1 billion for whatsapp, 80mill for BBM. I have both on both of my blackberries, and it's basically used for one person only these days. My world network is on whatsapp including BBM strongholds such as Nigeria.
    I think he's saying for him. I don't know many people on BBM, but maybe it works for him.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-02-16 02:13 PM
    I got the Classic the same day this announcement was made. Still trying to decide whether to return it or not. It's still sitting in the box . I don't want to run the Amazon store version.
    Just use it....WA will not stop dead on 01.01.2017, and the Classic might be the last pkb phone with a dedicated (and modern) UI....so experience it. I myself am still happy to use it as long as it fits my needs.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 03:33 PM
    I'm always jealous at how cheap everything is in the US, from cars, gas, food, taxes to phone bills. A comparable plan could easily run you $150-250 a month in Europe.
    A comparable plan (unlimited broadband. calls and texts) is 29,90� in Finland, unless there's a promotion of some sort going on in which case it's cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 03:37 PM
    There are a lot of options out there if you must have WA. If you must have a physical keyboard you can go with a Priv or loading the android version on a Classic or any other BB10 phone. If you don't, then there are a million Android or iOS devices out there to choose from. I think even if I used WA, I'd rather just load the Android version to my Classic than use another device. I'm way too quick with the physical keyboard and toolbelt (typing and ending calls without looking at the phone, peeking into my notifications, quickly closing apps without needing to look at the screen to swipe or touch a tiny little x, etc. etc.) to be forced to use an all-touch interface... That's just me though.

definitively i will try the android version, the overall experience with Classic has been outstanding , and i doubt there'll be an alternative for it on next months. The bad side is that we expect from our choosen device a flawlessly experience from the core functions : email, messaging, calendar and tasks. Ive been dealing with some lacks on spreadsheet editing and calendar suddenly stops and i was hoping that whatsapp-android would not increase this list of annoyances, but ...Certainly it will, and I'll try to close my eyes for it.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 04:09 PM
    Can we stop with this 'I only need sms....whatsapp is for babies and teens' nonsense.
    Very well said. Like it.

SQC100-1 BlackBerry Classic
    03-02-16 04:10 PM
    If Whatsapp continues to work past that date in it's current form for a few years then I wouldn't mind as much but I do need it as otherwise I wouldn't be able to communicate on a daily basis with my girlfriend and family member in Mexico. With no big native app updates, app support dropping and no OS updates past "security updates" I don't know why they're still pricing thier phones with a premium price. I really like the passport silver edition but I won't pay more than $250 for it now.
    03-02-16 05:29 PM
    Whatsapp was never a social media tool, it's actually a better messaging tool than BBM. While I'm not a heavy user of Whatsapp, I understand it's importance to others as it's pretty much a way of life in some countries. I've done business around the world so I have a wider perspective than most when it comes to things like this.

So don't be so easy to knock people just because you don't use it. BlackBerry, as a communication tool should be fighting to keep Whatsapp supported.
    servandohv and pizzawheel like this.
    03-02-16 06:32 PM
    Whatever happened to the argument that BlackBerry is above all a communication tool? WhatsApp is one of the most popular communication tools on the planet. Now we're supposed to believe that people who want to use WhatsApp shouldn't have bought a BlackBerry in the first place?
    Haven't met one person that uses whatsapp
    03-02-16 08:09 PM
    You must not get out much. Or you simply don't ask.

I can guarantee that with that many users, you've absolutely met someone using it. Attempting to downplay it doesn't make it any less of a loss.
    03-02-16 08:55 PM
    BlackBerry has always been a communication tool, encompassing calls, emails, text messages, instant messages, and social media. In fact, BlackBerry saw Social Media & IM to be so important, they built BlackBerry Messenger, and other social media applications themselves, integrating them within the operating system - both on BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10 OS System.

Never, ever say that Social Media (or IM) should not be associated with BlackBerry. It's what made BlackBerry popular between 2008-2012. The lack of care to their native social media apps, combined with the inability to remain on trend with new communication and social media apps is what led to the demise of the consumer side of BlackBerry.

What you have left is enterprise users... and prosumers who check their BB10 devices so often, the lack of Android notifications on forked apps don't even phase them (myself included).

03-02-16 10:30 PM
    Well I use often WhatsApp and I feel unhappy about the news as I bought recently a Passport. BBM is an alternative and much better than WhatsApp but the problem that it's not being used is because you can't add a contact simply by adding his/her phone number as in WhatsApp. I believe if Blackberry team adds this feature to BBM all the world will switch to BBM sooner or later. Crossing fingers!
    03-02-16 11:49 PM
    So what? That tells us something about you, but nothing about the popularity of WhatsApp. We don't have to guess about that from personal experience, or lack thereof. We have actual numbers indicating that WhatsApp has upwards of a billion users. That makes it important, even if you don't know anyone who uses it. It's really that simple.

I could make the same point about SnapChat. I don't use it. I don't know anyone who does--at least, I don't think I do. And that means precisely nothing. SnapChat, WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and so on, are all communication tools. All so-called "social media" are about communication. They may not be your preferred form of communication, or mine, but that's what they are.

These things come and go in popularity, for reasons I don't pretend to understand. AIM (AOL Instant Messaging, for those who don't remember) was once extremely popular. It was on mobile and desktop, and supported audio, video, file transfer, and so on. It's still out there, and still works, but for whatever reason, it's popularity has faded. I used to have many AIM contacts. None of them ever sign in anymore. It doesn't matter why; people have moved on. The same applies to Yahoo Messenger.

WhatsApp has been on BlackBerry since BBOS. You're not the person who claimed, in multiple threads, that anyone who wants WhatsApp shouldn't have bought a BlackBerry in the first place. That's the extremely misguided assertion I was responding to. If BlackBerry is, as some say, about communication above all else (i.e., as opposed to gaming and watching videos), then it should support as many forms of communication as possible, especially the ones used by most people on the planet.

If, as many are saying, the Android version of WhatsApp from Amazon works acceptably well, so much the better. It's a step down from the native one, but at least it doesn't disappear altogether.
    03-03-16 08:13 AM
    Well I guess that's proof that nobody must use it then. /s

On a serious note, I'm not going to miss the absence of whatsapp since most of my contacts have BBM, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have people who rely on it often. We should be concerned no matter what app has been rendered useless, because it adds to the uselessness of BlackBerry devices.
    03-03-16 12:26 PM
    Well I guess that's proof that nobody must use it then. /s

On a serious note, I'm not going to miss the absence of whatsapp since most of my contacts have BBM, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have people who rely on it often. We should be concerned no matter what app has been rendered useless, because it adds to the uselessness of BlackBerry devices.
    As much as I don't care for what others do, unfortunately if those people do not buy a product that product will go away, so it wouldn't be available for people like me who like them for working the best for our needs. So it does suck that our app library is getting smaller than it already is. I hope they find a way to make Android run smoothly on BB10 devices and do a better job getting the word out there about that ability...

03-03-16 02:04 PM
    I will use my Blackberry Classic until WhatsApp dies - hopefully there will be a Classic II, running Andoid!!!

Posted via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-04-16 09:51 AM
    I can understand why some users are upset about Whatsapp (aka Facebook) dumping BlackBerry. My issue w/Whatsapp has always been the need to upload my entire contact list to their servers. If I need to share video or audio I just use a dropbox link.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    03-04-16 09:54 AM
    I can understand why some users are upset about Whatsapp (aka Facebook) dumping BlackBerry. My issue w/Whatsapp has always been the need to upload my entire contact list to their servers. If I need to share video or audio I just use a dropbox link.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    The videos I share are almost always larger than WA's 16mb limit anyway. So I also use dropbox for that.

But a lot of people use WA to talk to people in other countries since it goes through data so it's free. Well, as long as you have a good data plan or constant wifi.

But I'm with you about not wanting to sell them, I mean give them, my entire contact list as well...

03-04-16 12:20 PM
    Who cares about whatsapp?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 12:21 PM
    There was BlackBerry before ever was WA, and there will be beyond WA.

Saludos.
    03-05-16 03:33 AM
    Can anyone explain to me what's going on here? Is there a problem with whatsapp for BlackBerry? Will it be pulled out of the BlackBerry world?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 04:06 AM
    Never used what's app.
    Not interested and no idea what it's for.

Classic is supposed to be a business phone and it does everything that I need for my work communications when I am away from my PC, as did my previous BB9900 and BB9780.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-16 07:15 AM
266 ... 56789 ...