First of all everything they said in that statement about being able to expand their capabilities and provide better service is a bunch of baloney. Who are they providing better service too, the BB10 users they abandon, or the iphoney users they want you to upgrade too? Secondly if the app is already available and working and they intend to make it free, what's the big deal. And last but not least why would you upgrade to a windows 10 phone, by next year Microsoft will be out of the phone business after their Wndows 10 phone flops. My My aren't we being smug here, they only have 1/2 % more market share than BB10. How much are What'sApp being paid for this BS.I would bet that quite a few users installed What'sApp used it once and have never used it again. So in the end just install the Amazon App store version if you really want to use the app. end of story.
    tnbt42 likes this.
    03-01-16 01:50 PM
    The only thing it really offers over sms is the ability to chat with people overseas without overages. But like you said, there's still facebook and bbm (if anyone would use it) for that. I don't have anyone in other countries that I text with on a personal level, so I have no use for whatsapp...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Thank you for explaining this. I've been reading through this thread and simply could not figure out what the big deal is about whatsapp. I'm 25 and live in NYC and no one I know uses it to communicate. People were throwing around group chat as a reason for its use, but I'm pretty sure that the 4 major carriers let you group chat using sms or mms (I know for sure that att does).

I've never actually met anyone that uses whatsapp, but then most of the people I know have iphones and would use imessage or BBM to chat for free internationally.

Interesting that it's so popular abroad.

Edit: actually found an article from 2014 which explains that whatsapp is much more popular outside of the US in places like Mexico, Brazil and India.

Can't post the link because I have less than 10 posts, but it's on wired.com for those that are interested.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-16 02:07 PM
    Jep, SD-card support is back due to massive negative critics. But you are not allowed to store apps on the sd-card although Android 6 does support this feature out of the box, Samsung decided to disable it to force users to buy the more expensive phones with more storage.
    EHHMM
    They disable it, because they want to preserve their users from slow sd-card memory, sure! Of course they are not forcing anyone to anything

Posted via CB10
    Good that they brought it back. You can probably root it to bring that feature back.

03-01-16 03:07 PM
    Can we stop with this 'I only need sms....whatsapp is for babies and teens' nonsense.

If you only need sms FINE!!!

But trying to convince other people that they are better of without WA is plain ridiculous.

I have family abroad, we have a family WA group...we share pics, thoughts etc. I do the same with two friends groups. I know, I know...this is not REAL communication, only social media nonsense. As some fellow crackberrians seem to define what 'real' communication is.

For me, and millions and millions of other people that's HOW you communicate with friends/family these days.

If your phone is not able to do this any more, it is less of a communication tool.

If you have to force everyone to send a relevant pic/information (also, and only to you) via sms, it is BECAUSE your phone is less of a communication tool.

If you have to tell your relevant friends/family they should install BBM to text with you, it is BECAUSE your phone is less of a communication tool.

If you don't choose to only rely on sms, and/or BBM...but are forced to do it, it's BECAUSE your phone is less of a communication tool.

Period

PS:
    sorry for the rant....but guys! Guys!!

Posted via CB10
    I notice the opposite. I'm trying to say that I only need SMS/MMS, what I'm reading are people telling those of us who feel that way that we're "old" or "out of touch" because we don't use Whatsapp...

03-01-16 03:08 PM
    Thank you for explaining this. I've been reading through this thread and simply could not figure out what the big deal is about whatsapp. I'm 25 and live in NYC and no one I know uses it to communicate. People were throwing around group chat as a reason for its use, but I'm pretty sure that the 4 major carriers let you group chat using sms or mms (I know for sure that att does).

I've never actually met anyone that uses whatsapp, but then most of the people I know have iphones and would use imessage or BBM to chat for free internationally.

Interesting that it's so popular abroad.

Edit: actually found an article from 2014 which explains that whatsapp is much more popular outside of the US in places like Mexico, Brazil and India.

Can't post the link because I have less than 10 posts, but it's on wired.com for those that are interested.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, you can group chat using MMS, and I freakin' hate it. I'm more of a one-on-one person. I actually rarely respond to group chats in the actual group chat. I'll respond directly to the person I want to reply to... That's just me. But yes, the ability is there if you so choose to use it...

03-01-16 03:10 PM
    Whatsapp? Isn't that part of the spyware arsenal Facebook owns? Good riddance!
    03-01-16 03:40 PM
    I'm trying to say that I only need SMS/MMS, what I'm reading are people telling those of us who feel that way that we're "old" or "out of touch" because we don't use Whatsapp...
    Surprise! If you prefer simple and outdated to newer and better technology, that is exactly the case.

Just like BlackBerry was out of touch not to put WiFi on the Storm, but that's a different story altogether and I still loved mine.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    03-01-16 03:54 PM
    Emmmm not supporting Whatsapp means that the app will be no longer working or just not updated anymore?
    Maybe the last version will be running until is unfeasible due to security reasons.
    I am very sad... BB10 is simply amazing, so clean, fast....
    Now crying... pretty soon getting angry... probably moving to Android... so making them win! Fxxx!!!
    03-01-16 04:06 PM
    Surprise! If you prefer simple and outdated to newer and better technology, that is exactly the case.

Just like BlackBerry was out of touch not to put WiFi on the Storm, but that's a different story altogether and I still loved mine.
    LMFAO!! Thanks for the laughs man! :-D

Yes, you are so "in touch" for being willing to give away all of your info to WA and everyone they share your info to (it's a "free" service yet they still make money, hm...) just so you can use this "new" technology of IM through your phone (not like IM services like ICQ and MSN Messenger was around for phones using data coverage back in the days of the flip phone or anything... LOL) when you can do the exact same things using the silly simple (I thought simpler the better, at least under the KISS principle, Keep It Simple S... you should know the rest) thing that comes with the phone and works just as well...

Anyway, thanks again for making my day, and congrats on feeling part of the majority and fitting in while using your "new" and "cutting edge" technology, LMAO.

joseanmx likes this.
    03-01-16 04:22 PM
    Anyway, thanks again for making my day, and congrats on feeling part of the majority and fitting in while using your "new" and "cutting edge" technology, LMAO.
    Wow, so cool all those "insights" and privacy paranoia. Free service? I bought the app in 2008 for about $5 bucks...Hmm... Guess what? BlackBerry also has your info thanks to using a BlackBerry ID. Your carrier whom you use to send and receive text messages also has your info! All those evil data miners out there!

We both know that WhatsApp does not do the same things text messaging can. There are hundreds of reasons mentioned up and down in this thread and I'm going to go so far and guess you could have read them but you obviously chose not to.

Saying WhatsApp works just as well as text messages or does the same thing is like saying your precious Passport can do the same things as my 7730! It can send messages! It can receive emails! Sure it can't take take photos or even connect to my car without bluetooth but IT'S THE SAME THING AND NEW STUFF IS DUMB

Also, what kind of majority do you feel part of when using a BlackBerry? Where do you fit in? Government officials? Wall Street interns? Pop stars whose career went downhill since the late 2000s?

Ignorance is bliss they say, not without reason
    Last edited by MaxxxBerry23; 03-01-16 at 05:00 PM.
    mmk1954, naveedk and IndianTiwari like this.
    03-01-16 04:33 PM
    I think this is another NA/ ROW divide. I'd take the lack of whatsapp pretty seriously, it's probably my #1 communication app. Overseas SMS can rack up the bucks.

On the other hand we do have a years notice and I'm hoping to have at least one droidberry in my pocket by then. C'mon Vienna!
    naveedk likes this.
    03-01-16 04:42 PM
    [warn]WhatsApp is open for discussion but assessment of other members is not. Keep it on course. [/warn]
    mmk1954 and Elite1 like this.
    03-01-16 04:57 PM
    Wow, so cool all those "insights" and privacy paranoia. Free service? I bought the app in 2008 for about $5 bucks...Hmm... Guess what? BlackBerry also has your info thanks to using a BlackBerry ID. Your carrier whom you use to send and receive text messages also has your info! All those evil data miners out there!

We both know that WhatsApp does not do the same things text messaging can. There are hundreds of reasons mentioned up and down in this thread and I'm going to go so far and guess you could have read them but you obviously chose not to.

Saying WhatsApp works just as well as text messages or does the same thing is like saying your precious Passport can do the same things as my 7730! It can send messages! It can receive emails! Sure it can't take take photos or even connect to my car without bluetooth but IT'S THE SAME THING AND NEW STUFF IS DUMB

Also, what kind of majority do you feel part of when using a BlackBerry? Where do you fit in? Government officials? Wall Street interns? Pop stars whose career went downhill since the late 2000s?

Ignorance is bliss they say, not without reason
    LMAO! This is golden. You think I care about being in a majority? Sorry, I have good self-esteem, so the thought of how others feel or how many other people agree with me doesn't even cross my mind when I make my decisions. The result is that sometimes what I do goes with the majority, like my preferred car brand is Ford, which happens to be the top selling brand in the USA for the last few years, or sometimes I'm not with the majority like the fact that I use a BlackBerry, that is in the minority. I couldn't care less, it's pretty sad and pathetic if before someone buys something or does something he/she thinks "what is more popular and cool for others?" before making up his/her mind... Very sad, lol.

And you paid for Whatsapp?? It's "free" for everyone now, odd. And I pay for my SMS services, it's part of my mobile phone plan. I know exactly how they profit from me. Whether or not WA used to charge back in 2008, they don't now. So you have to ask yourself, how do they profit now? Yah, it's such "paranoia" to use common sense... :'D

03-01-16 08:20 PM
    i find myself in a similar predicament.

well.. of course side loading works... and i hope it will continue to do so...

most of my family and friends are on Whatsapp.. and almost everyone at work uses LINE...

so as it is.. i already sideload LINE for work... and currently have the bbos Whatsapp...

eventually it will reach a point that everything may have to be side loaded... which runs slower and doesn't always have full integration.. with sharing etc. etc....

sigh... anyways... def not an apple person.. but will seriously consider samsung edge or something...

specs aren't everything.. but hey.. it's available here.. and with tonnes of options and accessories.. at a fraction of the cost of blackberry stuff here

i was holding on to bbos10.. but now with bb running android too.. i feel i might as well get a samsung.. sorry.. not trolling..

coming from a long long time bb fan... quite upset.. but.. to each his own...

good luck guys!
    03-01-16 09:51 PM
    Well I think we won't end up be pushed out of WhatsApp in January 2017.

They recommend to upgrade to iOS, Android > 2.3 or Windows Phone > 8.1. But they probably say so, because our OS10 App won't get any new features by then. So to use those new features we should upgrade our phones.

But I can't imagine they simply block older versions. Why should they? Maybe if their infrastructure gets changed at some point, but I think that'll be a long run 'till then...

Well I'd be pretty disappointed, if WhatsApp really would stop working at some point, but until then... Just use the device that's best for you, and if it's time to change to another OS... But in fact I personally will try to stick to OS10 as long as possible!
    03-02-16 03:33 AM
    I find it interesting that the author of this thread doesn't explain what is going on. I only clicked in here to see what the hubbub is about and still no explanation after reading the first page.
    03-02-16 04:01 AM
    LMAO! This is golden. You think I care about being in a majority? Sorry, I have good self-esteem, so the thought of how others feel or how many other people agree with me doesn't even cross my mind when I make my decisions.
    I can't help but feel it is kind of important to you, or you would have stopped bringing it up 2 posts ago latest. Congrats on your self esteem

Fact is WhatsApp is the primary communication tool today with over a billion users. Put that into comparison with roughly 80 million BBM users. I don't use WhatsApp because I have to feel part of something - whatever that may be - I use it because it is the most convenient tool to get the job done.

Using common sense in this case does not mean diminishing WhatsApp, but recognising that taking one of the most important communication tools away from a phone thats supposedly best at communication is no good.

And you paid for Whatsapp?? It's "free" for everyone now, odd
    That's how the product life cycle goes. Early adopters will always pay more than late ones as market saturation comes closer and growth rates shrink.

Also, I like how you never reply to any of my arguments but instead answer with your personal feelings towards being part of a majority. I was looking forward to a serious discussion, too bad.
    servandohv and IndianTiwari like this.
    03-02-16 05:04 AM
    03-02-16 06:50 AM
    It's fine, we all have BBM which everyone in the world uses anyway :/

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 07:15 AM
    I can't help but feel it is kind of important to you, or you would have stopped bringing it up 2 posts ago latest. Congrats on your self esteem

Fact is WhatsApp is the primary communication tool today with over a billion users. Put that into comparison with roughly 80 million BBM users. I don't use WhatsApp because I have to feel part of something - whatever that may be - I use it because it is the most convenient tool to get the job done.

Using common sense in this case does not mean diminishing WhatsApp, but recognising that taking one of the most important communication tools away from a phone thats supposedly best at communication is no good.

That's how the product life cycle goes. Early adopters will always pay more than late ones as market saturation comes closer and growth rates shrink.

Also, I like how you never reply to any of my arguments but instead answer with your personal feelings towards being part of a majority. I was looking forward to a serious discussion, too bad.
    A serious discussion about what? I've never said anything against people who use WA. In fact, if you'd bother to read, many times when people ask why people even use WA I am the one who steps in and tells them that it's great if you talk to a lot of people overseas since even in the USA a lot of talk and text plans do not extend to international texts and calls. My wife uses WA to talk to her family and friends in Venezuela. *I* just don't personally have any use for it and my replies have only been because children are here trying to throw insults around about people who chooses not to use WA. The privacy issue was brought up because someone tried to claim WA is more "secure" than whatever else, and was it you who asked about what majority I want to be in and now you're wondering why I'm mentioning it?? LOL do you suffer from multiple personality disorder or something?? You ask a question then ask why someone is answering it?? LMAO :-D

03-02-16 07:57 AM
    It's fine, we all have BBM which everyone in the world uses anyway :/

Posted via CB10
    LOL. I sense a big sigh after you typed that... I have my BBM sitting there, lonely... But anyway, luckily I have no need for any IM services.

03-02-16 07:58 AM
    Not too bothered. I rarely used it and was considering deleting it anyway. Big shame for those who did use it though.
    pizzawheel and joseanmx like this.
    03-02-16 10:38 AM
    I find it interesting that the author of this thread doesn't explain what is going on. I only clicked in here to see what the hubbub is about and still no explanation after reading the first page.
    its about this....our lovely Classic without Whatsapp, what didnt you get ? . And im seeing that many use whatsapp like me , for business purposes, for obvious reasons. And of course its absence will be a boundary for many to keep the device
    03-02-16 10:51 AM
    its about this....our lovely Classic without Whatsapp, what didnt you get ? . And im seeing that many use whatsapp like me , for business purposes, for obvious reasons. And of course its absence will be a boundary for many to keep the device
    There are a lot of options out there if you must have WA. If you must have a physical keyboard you can go with a Priv or loading the android version on a Classic or any other BB10 phone. If you don't, then there are a million Android or iOS devices out there to choose from. I think even if I used WA, I'd rather just load the Android version to my Classic than use another device. I'm way too quick with the physical keyboard and toolbelt (typing and ending calls without looking at the phone, peeking into my notifications, quickly closing apps without needing to look at the screen to swipe or touch a tiny little x, etc. etc.) to be forced to use an all-touch interface... That's just me though.

03-02-16 10:58 AM
    We still have the option of sideloading a whatsapp apk. Not a major messaging app for me. BBM is king!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-02-16 11:40 AM
266 ... 45678 ...