Yes, yes it can - which is why it's ridiculous the way people are carrying on about it. These will probably be the same people however, that won't want to use the android version and want to use a native version. Well too bad.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    Do you get hub-integration when using the Android version? WhatsApp is important, its used by millions worldwide as a cheap and easy communications tool. Like the pictures missing from the native Twitter app, this really is bad news.

The iPhone SE is supposed to launch in March. Then I'm out, I guess :-(
    Gordash likes this.
    02-29-16 08:54 AM
    Lol ever so glad I pre-ordered the s7. No one I know uses BBM anymore, it's just text and whatsapp.

I was a forever BB10 supporter but I'm sorry I cannot live in denial anymore. I will be rooting my s7 and installing the hub because that and the gestures are the only thing missing IMO.
    02-29-16 09:33 AM
    calm down mate! Whatsapp is just going to end their support for BB10. Its not the end of the world because their current version on BB10 is stable at its best. When apps get to a state "near perfect", they won't need updates.
    I'll be happy using the current version for the next few years.
    People already said BB10 is dead so why would you worry about BB10 without Whatsapp?
    How sure are you of this?
    02-29-16 09:42 AM
    How sure are you of this?

Pretty sure
    khoanguyen2010 likes this.
    02-29-16 09:45 AM
    What is the BBC article supposed to tell me, in terms of using WhatsApp on BB10 after they stop updating it?
    02-29-16 09:47 AM
    My hat for your choice and opinion regarding priv. I have installed and been running the android's Whatsapp on my OG Passport for the last two days, and it works FLAWLESSLY. Honest! The notification works, the sound works--it is VERY LOUD, even. I can even do whatsapp wifi calling, just like the BB10 version. Please try again. You really do not need to get an android device just for whatsapp.
    Does WP integrate with the hub? Can the LED color be changed to make it, say, green?
    02-29-16 09:50 AM
    What is the BBC article supposed to tell me, in terms of using WhatsApp on BB10 after they stop updating it?
    It's not supposed to tell you anything other than the fact that WhatsApp is ending support for anything not iOS or Android.
    02-29-16 09:53 AM
    You misunderstood my question. I was asking if we are sure that WP will continue to work on BB10 after they stop updates. Take a closer look at the text I quoted.

PS: I asked WhatsApp the same question. Waiting on reply.
    02-29-16 09:57 AM
    You misunderstood my question. I was asking if we are sure that WP will continue to work on BB10 after they stop updates. Take a closer look at the text I quoted.

PS: I asked WhatsApp the same question. Waiting on reply.
    Ah. WhatsApp most likely can't commit to a firm answer because after they end support officially, they won't have any responsibility for those mentioned operating systems. The software/service will coast along until sometime in the future when something finally disables it.
    02-29-16 10:00 AM
    Does WP integrate with the hub? Can the LED color be changed to make it, say, green?
    Yes, it does. Verily so. Please, try and see it for yourself.
    02-29-16 10:17 AM
    Ever heard of BBM?
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-29-16 10:37 AM
    Do not care

Posted via CB10
    02-29-16 10:39 AM

I give WhatsApp credit for sticking with BlackBerry as long as they did. No one can accuse them of jumping to conclusions about BB10.
    I agree with this. WhatsApp did a great job of supporting the app for BB10. There was also a fellow on here (apologies, I forget his name. I think it was something like Koenig.......) that was absolutely fantastic about helping out BB10 users with issues with WhatsApp. I believe he was one of the developers, or I guess the support team, but I was shocked at how quick and responsive he was. I say "he", but I guess it could have been "she", but you get the point.

I use both WhatsApp and BBM. I think the main reason is that friends and family are on different devices and although I can't prove it, I do think the other OSes make it difficult for BBM to run efficient and effectively on the other systems. For example, I know many of my friends on other devices complain because they don't receive notifications. It seems they need to open the app in order to see if a message was received. So they find it easier to use WhatsApp.

Anyway, I hate to see it go, but I'm assuming it is going the same way as Skype and we will continue to be able to use it going forward, but of course, updating it through Amazon.
    ubizmo and skinnymike1 like this.
    02-29-16 10:53 AM
    I will try but somehow I am very doubtful that an Android port will integrate with the Hub...
    02-29-16 10:58 AM
    I use both WhatsApp and BBM. Mostly BBM. I installed the android's whatsapp merely to satisfy curiosity if it works. It does. I will not have any problem whatsapp dropping support for BB10, anon.
    02-29-16 10:59 AM
    I will try but somehow I am very doubtful that an Android port will integrate with the Hub...
    Don't talk. Try and see for yourself! Use Cobalt's Google Play.
    GAH!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-29-16 11:01 AM
    Can't whatsapp just be sideloaded thru the Google play store like many other apps?
    Possibly...But notifications most likely won't work which will be annoying not knowing when you're getting messages, etc.
    Gordash likes this.
    02-29-16 11:17 AM
    Possibly...But notifications most likely won't work which will be annoying not knowing when you're getting messages, etc.
    Wrong.
    02-29-16 11:25 AM
    Ever heard of BBM?
    Yes, and when I put that to 20 of the people I regularly use whatsapp with, all but 1 replied in a way that suggested I was asking them to go back to the dark ages.
    I asked my son about BBM being on his Android device and he replied he had never used it. When I asked him why, he replied that he didnt know a single person who uses it.
    OS10 is a tiny amount of the mobile market, are people really that blinkered and naive to think millions and millions of people will start using BBM just to accomodate the one or two of their friends who use BlackBerry still?
    And yes, the Android version does work. For now. But as soon as Whatsapp up the Android version requirements, the crossover will stop. Does anyone not think that at some point, not being able to use a single good native mass market app will indicate that BB really is fighting a losing battle?
    If BB10 works for you, and you dont need these apps, then carry on! BB10 is a brilliant OS and the Passport is a brilliant device. But dont try to deny that something that works for a minority of users of a minority OS is an end waiting to happen
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-29-16 12:32 PM
    You people act like 60 year old guys. Do some research and find out why Whatsapp is so popular and relevant for the generic people.
    02-29-16 12:41 PM
    I'm not denying anything. Don't forget that there are still two more BB10 updates left (at least and as far as we know at the moment) that would also update the Android runtime, so I wouldn't start worrying anything until at least 2 years from now. And even then, all I have to do is NOT updating, and it'll still be usable as ever. Just like the Playbook!

But then again, if you're so hell bent about app this, app that, you're getting the wrong phone. Go ahead and skedaddle yourself.
    02-29-16 12:43 PM
    Whatsapp is a great experience on a Blackberry... the app devs really made a fluid, functional, and useful app. I would argue that it outclassed BBM on the BlackBerry in terms of experience and functionality (which is saying a lot!).
    02-29-16 01:00 PM
    For me its done. Without whatsapp on my HUB there is no chances. But, from now, what Im planning to my Classic ? The odds are I�ll keep it until the end but i guess im no longer confortable, at least not like yesterday, to make plans, by new apps, keep learning about the device, afterall we have less than one year ! ...what about you ?
    I'm not sure what the dilemma is. WhatsApp's end of life for BlackBerry is consistent with BlackBerry's own end of life for BB10. That doesn't mean that both will shut down after their scheduled termination of development and support. They work well together now and should continue to do so for a few years to come.

Turn that frowny emoticon upside down and smile. Don't have the frowny emoticon set from BB? You can purchase the whole series from BB world while quantities last!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-29-16 01:13 PM
    I'm surprised it got so much PR. I know the app has close to 1 billion users but Blackberry makes up probably less than 1% of those overall users. They don't even mention Nokia or Microsoft in most of the headlines. I'm actually super surprised they are sticking with the new windows phones. I saw some comment that said it doesn't support an encryption protocol and that's one of the reasons why, however, that doesn't make any sense to me because there's nothing to say Blackberry couldn't have supported it given that whatsapp is giving a year time frame
    02-29-16 01:15 PM
    We will be fine. The Android version works. It won't be quite as fluid and another slight hiccup to the BB experience, but life will go on. These phones are in maintenance mode anyhow, and as of the latest OS + Android RT patch is about as good as it will get.

I do wish it was more along the lines of "no more updates" rather than "they are shutting down service" to BB, because the WA native app is truly excellent. WeChat hasn't been updated since 2013 and it still works (and arguably better than the Android port from Google Play if all you want is messaging and Hub support).
    02-29-16 02:30 PM
266 ... 23456 ...