This is the Android's Whatsapp on my Passport, installed through Cobalt's Google Play, right after deleting the BB10 version. No problem whatsoever here. I can even backup my chat history. The only problem is when they ask for Google Play service to save and backup history over to the Google Drive, but that's optional. It's even notified in the Hub, but rather differently: all whatsapp notifications are gathered together in a single notification drawer in the Hub. After you access it, and open the linked chat, the notification is gone.

Forgot to add, I can also make free wifi whatsapp calls, just like when using the BB10 version.

The best BlackBerry ever without WhatsApp: how do you feel?-img_20160229_003139.jpg
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 02-28-16 at 12:04 PM.
    02-28-16 11:41 AM

Forgot to add, I can also make free wifi whatsapp calls, just like when using the BB10 version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160229_003139.jpg 
Views:	1440 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	392765
    A follow up on battery drain would be interesting, if it uses more juice than the BB10 version.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo and skinnymike1 like this.
    02-28-16 12:58 PM
    This is the Android's Whatsapp on my Passport, installed through Cobalt's Google Play, right after deleting the BB10 version. No problem whatsoever here. I can even backup my chat history. The only problem is when they ask for Google Play service to save and backup history over to the Google Drive, but that's optional. It's even notified in the Hub, but rather differently: all whatsapp notifications are gathered together in a single notification drawer in the Hub. After you access it, and open the linked chat, the notification is gone.

Does everything work with the active frame closed?
    02-28-16 01:12 PM
    Does everything work with the active frame closed?
    How do you mean?
    02-28-16 01:21 PM
    How do you mean?
    Think he's asking if it works headless.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-28-16 01:26 PM
    A follow up on battery drain would be interesting, if it uses more juice than the BB10 version.

Posted via CB10
    Well, it seems to be pretty decent about battery. My whatsapp groups had been ringing on and off as usual since morning at the office until I got back at home at 7 in the evening, and the battery was down about 40% or so. But that was also coupled with some phone calls that I made, a bit of movies, some texts, whatsapp and BBM chats. YouTube took most of the juice, as it should.

I don't know, try it yourself.
    02-28-16 01:27 PM
    Think he's asking if it works headless.

I guess. So far I don't notice anything amiss about it. I can still attach things from the gallery, photos, video, audio, location, and contact. I don't see it's able to attach documents, though. Unlike BBM.

You can mute notification, change wallpapers, search, clear chat, email chat, add shortcut, send audio as chat...
    02-28-16 01:33 PM
    What's funny is the whole argument before was there aren't any apps for bb10,now it's well we don't need apps I can't figure this out we either need apps or we don't sounds like most who don't need can work for blackberry and flip flop on everything. Whoever thinks this app isn't useful either hasn't used it or doesn't want to realize that it is useful. For instance on my plan I have 100 minutes of talk time and 5gb of data work that data I'll never need to worry about minutes because I can use the app to call as well. Now I know what your thinking your can use bbm and your right however there's no way people are going to download bbm for a 1 or 2 contacts.
    MaxxxBerry23 and joseanmx like this.
    02-28-16 03:33 PM
    Maybe WA is doing the same as Skype?!

Posted via Q10Bold
    02-28-16 04:03 PM
    What's funny is the whole argument before was there aren't any apps for bb10,now it's well we don't need apps I can't figure this out we either need apps or we don't sounds like most who don't need can work for blackberry and flip flop on everything.
    Can't speak for everyone here, but I never flip flopped. It's definitely that I, personally, do not require a plethora of meaningless apps. When it comes to a primary device, I simply require my phone be a phone. I don't use Whatsapp (nor Facebook for that matter), therefore its' presence or lack there of is of no importance to me.

However, it appears the android version is fine and functioning well enough on BB10 now and who knows, maybe they'll add the app to the Amazon Store by 2016's end as well. Just isn't a matter prevalent enough to put my cyber panties in a wad and send me fleeing my Classic... Can't miss what I never needed/wanted so this particular issue doesn't affect me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-28-16 04:33 PM
    What does it do that makes it better than a text message?

Posted via CB10
    A text message?
    For Reals?
    how quaint
    naveedk and MaxxxBerry23 like this.
    02-28-16 04:35 PM
    A communication tool like BlackBerry would focus mainly on its strength: emails, calls, sms, and other productivity tools. Social media apps like whatsapp is an option. So yes, if Social media apps is important to you, don't think of a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    See below.

Posted via CB10

What's funny is the whole argument before was there aren't any apps for bb10,now it's well we don't need apps I can't figure this out we either need apps or we don't sounds like most who don't need can work for blackberry and flip flop on everything. Whoever thinks this app isn't useful either hasn't used it or doesn't want to realize that it is useful. For instance on my plan I have 100 minutes of talk time and 5gb of data work that data I'll never need to worry about minutes because I can use the app to call as well. Now I know what your thinking your can use bbm and your right however there's no way people are going to download bbm for a 1 or 2 contacts.
    02-28-16 04:37 PM
    A text message?
    For Reals?
    how quaint
    Text msgs are used with real interactions... Almost every person I personally know - either in a family, friendly or professional manner - I communicate with in text. I don't insist all my friends, family, co-workers and acquaintances exchange messenger info with me. How ridiculous is that? I give and get a mobile number. I text (or email) them about when they are meeting me at the movie theater or where to meet a client. I don't shoot them a msg via Whatsapp or insist they send me a BBM.

To me messengers are what you use to keep in contact with like minded strangers. To form groups and bonds centered around an interest or hobby etc but basically just another social network to make a random appearance and pass time. Whereas text messaging, phone calls and emails are the go to for REAL interactions with the truly important ppl in life on a PERSONAL level (or in the case of group texts and such a larger scale personal level). I still go through massive amounts of text messaging and emails. Phone calls (and video chat when applicable) are up there too. Messengers or social network postings however? Essentially nonexistent on many fronts for me...

02-28-16 04:49 PM
    A text message?
    For Reals?
    how quaint
    "For Reals?"

For real?
    How quaint.

damule6666 and joseanmx like this.
    02-28-16 04:54 PM
    Whatever happened to the argument that BlackBerry is above all a communication tool? WhatsApp is one of the most popular communication tools on the planet. Now we're supposed to believe that people who want to use WhatsApp shouldn't have bought a BlackBerry in the first place?
    Whatsapp doesn't do anything unique or offer anything unique. Sms will work just as well, otherwise there's bbm and facebook, not to mention the android app for whatsapp is still functional since they aren't discontinuing android 4.2 or whatever were on
    joseanmx likes this.
    02-28-16 04:54 PM
    Whatsapp doesn't do anything unique or offer anything unique. Sms will work just as well, otherwise there's bbm and facebook, not to mention the android app for whatsapp is still functional since they aren't discontinuing android 4.2 or whatever were on
    The only thing it really offers over sms is the ability to chat with people overseas without overages. But like you said, there's still facebook and bbm (if anyone would use it) for that. I don't have anyone in other countries that I text with on a personal level, so I have no use for whatsapp...

CivilDissident and sopanx like this.
    02-28-16 04:56 PM
    Text msgs are used with real interactions... Almost every person I personally know - either in a family, friendly or professional manner - I communicate with in text. I don't insist all my friends, family, co-workers and acquaintances exchange messenger info with me. How ridiculous is that? I give and get a mobile number. I text (or email) them about when they are meeting me at the movie theater or where to meet a client. I don't shoot them a msg via Whatsapp or insist they send me a BBM.

To me messengers are what you use to keep in contact with like minded strangers. To form groups and bonds centered around an interest of hobby etc but basically just another social network to make a random appearance and pass time. Whereas text messaging, phone calls and emails are the go to for REAL interactions with the truly important ppl in life on a PERSONAL level (or in the case of group texts and such a larger scale personal level). I still go through massive amounts of text messaging and emails. Phone calls (and video chat when applicable) are up there too. Messengers or social network postings however? Essentially nonexistent on many fronts for me...

Thats a ridiculous notion.
    A text is no more personal then an IM. A personal interaction is actually talking to someone.
    Whatsapp is basically a text enhanced. It's more secure then a text message and more reliable. I dont insist on anyone using a particular model for communication, tried that with BBM and it failed.
    Most people are perfectly comfortable sending whatsapps instead of texts. I only get text messages from older generations or from people who have run out of data and are out and about.

I dont have to pay extra to send pictures through whatsapp, groups are much more reliable, and i dont have to worry about coverage.

If you think a text is something more special then an IM then good for you, not many share your view.
    Whatsapp is the primary communication tool used by a lot of my friends and judging from the numbers, many others in the world.

It is most definitely not another social network
    skinnymike1 and MaxxxBerry23 like this.
    02-28-16 04:57 PM
    "For Reals?"

For real?
    How quaint.

I was trying to be down with the kids.
    Should i have used a Z instead of the s?
    joseanmx likes this.
    02-28-16 04:58 PM
    More people use whatsapp then facebook
    and it is the most used communication method out there

and it's not limited to 160 characters
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-28-16 05:00 PM
    A text message?
    For Reals?
    how quaint
    Text messaging is used quite a bit, it's not as quaint as some around here would have us believe.

Posted via CB10
    joseanmx likes this.
    02-28-16 05:00 PM
    Text messaging is used quite a bit, it's not as quaint as some around here would have us believe.

Posted via CB10
    It's not as widely used as others would think either.

Ok If you like to use text thats fine, but dont tell me it does the same thing as IM apps and is on the same level.
    skinnymike1 and MaxxxBerry23 like this.
    02-28-16 05:04 PM
    A text is no more personal then an IM. A personal interaction is actually talking to someone.
    Whatsapp is basically a text enhanced. It's more secure then a text message and more reliable. I dont insist on anyone using a particular model for communication, tried that with BBM and it failed.
    Most people are perfectly comfortable sending whatsapps instead of texts. I only get text messages from older generations or from people who have run out of data and are out and about.

I dont have to pay extra to send pictures through whatsapp, groups are much more reliable, and i dont have to worry about coverage.

If you think a text is something more special then an IM then good for you, not many share your view.
    Whatsapp is the primary communication tool used by a lot of my friends and judging from the numbers, many others in the world.

Whatsapp is more secure? Lol, you're joking right? And more reliable? Because you have access to data connections than mobile networks? Again, are you joking? You don't have to worry about coverage but you have to be inside of a building that offers wifi... I guess if you're a city boy with some cool tight jeans all of that would apply to you. But I spend most of my time moving around, so unless the wifi can move with me, or come out in the middle of the everglades, mobile coverage applies to me much more than wifi or data.

And speaking of old-timers and people who are out of touch, who the hell doesn't have unlimited texting now?? Every one I know has unlimited text messages, so why the hell would you ever worry about being charged to send a text message or to send a photo (which is done through mms which uses data anyway, same as whatsapp...)?? Seriously, get your crap together before you reply...

joseanmx likes this.
    02-28-16 05:06 PM
    More people use whatsapp then facebook
    and it is the most used communication method out there

and it's not limited to 160 characters
    Than* and please cite sources of the statistics. All of my friends use SMS in addition to Whatsapp, some only SMS, don't know a single person who doesn't use SMS...

02-28-16 05:07 PM

So when you meet someone new (a real world interaction, not someone from a forum or somewhere across the interwebz) you mean to tell me you offer them your Whatsapp info as your primary contact info? Haha Get out of here... If someone approaches me and offers me their messenger contact info as a means of getting in touch with them alarms definitely are going off and the likelyhood I ever reach out is slim to none... Shady... Whereas the text message, phone call aspect rings as more personal and legit. Come on now, I know you adore your little messenger app thing, but let's be real here... We're all adults here after all... 14 year olds giving up messengers as primary contact info I can see, but grown adults?

VeryBumpy likes this.
    02-28-16 05:10 PM
    Whatsapp is more secure? Lol, you're joking right? And more reliable? Because you have access to data connections than mobile networks? Again, are you joking? You don't have to worry about coverage but you have to be inside of a building that offers wifi... I guess if you're a city boy with some cool tight jeans all of that would apply to you. But I spend most of my time moving around, so unless the wifi can move with me, or come out in the middle of the everglades, mobile coverage applies to me much more than wifi or data.

And speaking of old-timers and people who are out of touch, who the hell doesn't have unlimited texting now?? Every one I know has unlimited text messages, so why the hell would you ever worry about being charged to send a text message or to send a photo (which is done through mms which uses data anyway, same as whatsapp...)?? Seriously, get your crap together before you reply...

Are you in anyway suggesting that text is more secure then IM's? a text that goes through and is logged in a Service Centre? Yeah sure that's secure.

I will concede that i forget that people who live in places like the US do not enjoy widespread data coverage.

Yes everyone has unlimited messages, but whatsapp is still preferable. Ever been in a low coverage area and received a long SMS that only half comes through, or comes in the wrong order.
    And MMS is not covered by data or SMS charges and cost extra for quite a few networks.
    So maybe look at your crap before trying to preach nonsense to me
    MaxxxBerry23 likes this.
    02-28-16 05:12 PM
266 1234 ...