Hi all

Have had three Blackberries in the past and love them. It's about time for a new one and I have my eye on the Classic.

But the fact that BES or BIS is required for some functions (whatsapp, browsing internet without wi-fi,...) is getting annoying and pushes me towards other phones, even though I don't want it.

But I am wondering if it's still necessary as there is also an Android store on this phone?

Thanks
    06-29-15 10:33 AM
    No. BlackBerry 10 devices don't require a BIS plan, just as Androids or iPhones don't.

Via Pasta CB10
    06-29-15 10:39 AM
    No a BES is not required, BIS does not work with BB10 devices. It will work just like other phones. BES is only required for Corporate features.

Amazon store comes preloaded (in most markets anyway). And there is a way currently to install Google Play and get many (but not all) Android Apps. You can load any APK file you may have or can access via the web... like other 3rd party Android Stores.
    06-29-15 10:46 AM
    Hi all

Have had three Blackberries in the past and love them. It's about time for a new one and I have my eye on the Classic.

But the fact that BES or BIS is required for some functions (whatsapp, browsing internet without wi-fi,...) is getting annoying and pushes me towards other phones, even though I don't want it.

But I am wondering if it's still necessary as there is also an Android store on this phone?

Thanks
    bbos 10 no longer requires abes or bis account. Just make sure you have data attached to your voice account and it will be fine. bb emails are now obselete and also no longer used. so if your bb id is a bb email you are going to ahve to set u a new one.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-29-15 10:51 AM
    I don't really understand what you guys are saying, "data attached to voice account"?

But I can rest assured that to use whatsapp and to browse the net with 3g or 4g I won't get the errors that I can't do it as with BB OS 7 because of not having a BES/BIS account? So basically that this classic is the same in usage as an iOS or Android phone?
    06-30-15 05:07 AM

But I can rest assured that to use whatsapp and to browse the net with 3g or 4g I won't get the errors that I can't do it as with BB OS 7 because of not having a BES/BIS account? So basically that this classic is the same in usage as an iOS or Android phone?
    Yes. That's basically what the three posters told you.

Via Pasta CB10
    06-30-15 05:19 AM
    I don't really understand what you guys are saying, "data attached to voice account"?

Yes exactly, some providers offer separate data packages a la carte addon while some offer a bundled voice and data plan. BBos10 does not require BES or a BIS account yes. The old blackbery @-------.com email are not supported anymore so make sure you create an entirely new email as your blackberry ID.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 08:48 PM