I'm wondering whether anyone has tried running BBOS7 on a Classic, and if so what the results were (and how!).

While the Classic is basically a very good piece of hardware, it's let down by the awful OS10 - and as I've not had a software update since about February (I have release 10.3.1.1779), I'm concerned that the numerous bugs and shortcomings may not be addressed. [I have in mind things like the faulty lock, the poor support for the toolbelt and keypad, bugs in the Hub, the famous "V" bug pasting the clipboard, general slowness and complication as against OS7 (everything is just that little bit less straightforward and slick than in OS7), plus numerous other flaws, quirks and irritations that drive me up the wall.]

Or am I wrong in losing faith that BB will ever address the issues with OS10? (NB I did a long phone interview with BB's market research department a few months ago, and fed in details of the specific issues both verbally and in writing.)

Any thoughts?

Obviously I'd lose the Android compatibility, but the only app I'd really miss (the brilliant Osmand mapping) I could just buy a cheap Android phone for.

I have thought of going back to my old Bold 9900 (best phone I ever owned!) - the main thing that puts me off is that certain e-mails and certain webpages didn't display properly. Might I have these problems again if I put OS7 on my Classic?
    09-01-15 03:51 AM
    BB10 is QNX, BBOS is Java, the two aren't compatible with one another. So nope, putting BB10 on a Bold is impossible and putting BBOS on a Classic is impossible.
    09-01-15 04:00 AM
    BB10 is QNX, BBOS is Java, the two aren't compatible with one another. So nope, putting BB10 on a Bold is impossible and putting BBOS on a Classic is impossible.
    Ah. Bugger!

So I guess it's just the seemingly vain hope that BB ever will issue another update to BB10, then.

Perhaps I should dust off my 9900 again after all...

Thanks for the info - appreciated.
    09-01-15 04:17 AM
    Really. Go to the beta/leak os subforum under the bb10 forum. Install software from one of the leaks that have been posted of 10.3.2

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 06:24 AM
    Tried a good old factory reset? I have virtually no problems at all on BB10, it's a great OS.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    09-01-15 06:52 AM
    I did.. Got out my Bold 9930 and activated it. I have been down the BB10 trail and got tired of fighting for apps to work that I really didn't need - they're fun but not all that useful. My Bold does what I need it to do so very well - phone (awesome sound), texts, emails, great screen outdoors, and I go to Google every now and then - it works but works slowly - like it might take a few seconds longer - how can I go on living like that ??!!!
    09-01-15 07:03 AM
    You know what, just because you're too lazy to install your own OS update, doesn't mean the device is bad. The BB10 experience gets better with every update. You don't know because you haven't done it yet. Please do so.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.2639
    wilber1 likes this.
    09-01-15 07:10 AM
    You know what, just because you're too lazy to install your own OS update, doesn't mean the device is bad. The BB10 experience gets better with every update. You don't know because you haven't done it yet. Please do so.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.2639
    I'm not sure there's a need to be offensive about it, thank you. Nor have I said the device is bad: actually the reverse.

I have not had an OS update via my device, though have frequently checked for them; if people are saying that newer updates would be helpful in terms of the problems I'm experiencing (as above), then that is useful advice for which I'm grateful. Personal insults really aren't called-for, I'd suggest.

I haven't previously installed updates "unofficially" but if it's the right thing to do and doesn't imply any risks, I'm happy to find out how to do so and give it a go.

Yes, thanks for above poster for suggesting it, but have indeed tried a reset.

PS Does anyone know why I've not received these updates yet "officially" (if that's the right term)? Are they beta, or is it something to do with my network (Virgin Mobile), or something else? Thanks. You'll have gathered I'm no expert so please don't assume otherwise!
    09-01-15 08:26 AM
    Really. Go to the beta/leak os subforum under the bb10 forum. Install software from one of the leaks that have been posted of 10.3.2

Posted via CB10
    Thanks - have found the forum and it looks as though the update is scheduled to be rolled out on 8 September in UK, which should be good news: will look forward to trying it and seeing if it helps me.
    09-01-15 08:40 AM
    I was just going to say that some of this sounds carrier-related, but then I saw the post about going to the leak sub-forum.

I have a Classic in a small market (Manitoba, Canada) and have automatically had updates - currently running 10.3.2.2168.

For me OS7 would just be a MASSIVE retro-grade step, partially because here my OS7 (9810 slider) cannot use LTE - that alone would be worth the upgrade in phones.

So, my advice would be to get up to 10.3.2x.
    09-01-15 10:55 AM
    I highly doubt that BBOS can handle the newer hardwares

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 10:56 AM
    i'm fairly certain this topic has been discussed a number of times. why must new threads be started?
    09-01-15 11:51 AM
    Thanks - have found the forum and it looks as though the update is scheduled to be rolled out on 8 September in UK, which should be good news: will look forward to trying it and seeing if it helps me.
    If you find say a couple days after that date that there is no update yet. Find update 2252 in the leak forum. That was the official update by my carrier Bell here in Canada for the classic. That update I found is better for my phone than the 2339 leak which was released for the passport here

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 03:17 PM
    i'm fairly certain this topic has been discussed a number of times. why must new threads be started?
    Apologies if this is the case - it can be difficult to search as these fora are so busy.

And thanks to 'rhoric' for the tip - shall do so.
    09-01-15 03:20 PM
    Was BBOS7 broken? No, but tech companies need to constantly change, redesign and 'upgrade' to make money. BBOS7 was brilliant, yes it could always be improved with bug fixes and extra power.... unfortunately you have to take the good with the bad with Capitalism.
    09-02-15 02:21 AM
    Was BBOS7 broken? No, but tech companies need to constantly change, redesign and 'upgrade' to make money. BBOS7 was brilliant, yes it could always be improved with bug fixes and extra power.... unfortunately you have to take the good with the bad with Capitalism.
    Things are never as good as the memories we have of them. I sometimes pick up my 9900 and I remember why I had to upgrade. BIS was annoying, the hub wasn't as good, the browser was bad, Youtube was bad, the battery life was terrible, was slow and laggy way too often, and required a reboot maybe twice or three times a day. And let's not even mention the apps. Honestly BB10 is way better IMO.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    Bluenoser63 and wilber1 like this.
    09-02-15 05:32 AM
    Let up on all the negativity. The person is on an antique OS. CrackBerry is suppose to help BerryHeads not turn them away.

Here is a link for auto load 10.3.2.2639
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...vices-1035749/
    Ask someone on this thread if OS 10.3.1.1779 is a direct upload or will there be bar files missing that you will need to upload.

I also gave you a link for an auto loader which means you don't have to use Sachesi to upload it. Be sure to back up your device.
    09-02-15 09:14 AM