Hi everyone!

Many years ago I used to have a 9700 model which I loved, but then I switched to iPhone just because everybody had it and I wanted to try it. Right now I owe a Macbook Air that is great, but I really miss Blackberry and its keyboard and I want to switch to Classic. I use my phone for messages, e-mail, internet browsing and music mostly. Now my question is: is Classic a good choise? I love the design, but I'm concerned about these things:

1) I don't use many apps, but I need to run these: Facebook, Messanger, Instagram (because of my job...), sometimes Twitter, Maps (preferably Google Maps), Spotify, Uber and Skype. Is it possible to install all of them via Google Play or Amazon Store?
    2) I heard that the front and rear cameras aren't really that good...
    3) Some reviewers say that the battery won't last much.
    4) Will it sync smoothly with a Mac?
    5) Can I transfer SMS and photos from iPhone? Will the photos sort according to the date?

Can you please clarify these things for me?

Thank you.
    kjmcl528 likes this.
    07-26-15 04:41 PM
    1. AMAZON store is already pre-installed in current version OS10. The only thing you need to install thru BB Apps World, is the Googles Play Store.
    2. Not matter what camera module used, don't expect good camera quality from BB devices. Are you using the phone for leisure or work?
    3. No matter which phone, which platform, what makers... the basic rule of saving battery juice goes to the setting of your phone. Connection, Display, should be often set to medium performance, rather than high.
    4. Syncing... hmmm... quite subjective. My office computer sometime couldn't even recognize the device after initial connection... it takes some looooo~~~~ng while to get BB Link/Blend to detect my phone.
    5. SMS... i think requires Cloud backup. Photos... depending whether your IPhone's willingness to accept BB's BT "seduction" and "connection".
    07-26-15 06:31 PM
    Although I don't own a Classic, the guts and OS are basically the same as the all touch Z30, so here goes:

I'm concerned about these things:

1) I don't use many apps, but I need to run these: Facebook, Messenger, Instagram (because of my job...), sometimes Twitter, Maps (preferably Google Maps), Spotify, Uber and Skype. Is it possible to install all of them via Google Play or Amazon Store?

Answer: There are BlackBerry native apps for Facebook (with Facebook Messenger built in), Twitter and BlackBerry Maps (which isn't bad, but not as good as Google Maps as you already know). There are "third party" native apps for Instagram (two competing companies make very good apps - iGrann & inst10. I use inst10 and it is fine). There is a Skype app in BB World, but I don't use it so I can't comment on that. People grouse about it so I think it's isn't the best.

Android versions of Google Maps and Spotify can be direct downloaded and work without a problem via several methods. the Uber app requires a process called "patching" to make it work properly or you can just use the mobile web version and make an app-like icon to access it. It looks and works exactly like the app. If you are even slightly computer savvy you can figure out the downloading of Android apps and patching.

2) I heard that the front and rear cameras aren't really that good...

The cameras aren't stupendous, but they are very good once you figure them out. Don't expect wonderful low-light photos, but if you use HDR your landscape photos look like a professional took them. Time Shift camera is great for pets and kids. I consistently take better shots of moving subjects than my iPhone friends with Time Shift.

3) Some reviewers say that the battery won't last much.

I can't vouch for the battery life, I don't have a Classic, but I've heard it's quite good. A girlfriend of mine has one and she says it easily makes it through the day.

4) Will it sync smoothly with a Mac?

I can't answer this question for you. I don't have a Mac

5) Can I transfer SMS and photos from iPhone? Will the photos sort according to the date?

There is a "device switch" wizard that lets you connect and transfer most of your data, but I'm not sure about the SMS. Photos definitely and you can order them in date order and many other ways.
    07-26-15 06:34 PM
    I switched from an iphone5 two weeks ago and I'm mostly happy with the communication part (messaging, phone, mailing, contacts management, etc).
    It surely lacks behind when it comes to social media (even fb which is native sucks compared to the ios) and it's not so fluid overall in navigating in such apps.
    The screen ratio also makes it even more awkward to view and scan such apps full of stories and pictures.

But guess what, i'm spending less time now fiddling with the phone and that was one of my objectives, longer lasting battery being the second (checked too).

Ah, and it's damn heavy, i'm still not getting used to the weight!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 04:17 AM
    Just being regarding to apps issue. The latest version of Uber downloaded through Amazon, play store or .apk file does not work, it get stuck...

However if you need it, ask for authorization to use the mobile version. Uber in this way works and looks exactly the same.

That's the way I use Uber

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 07:49 AM