Hello Dear fellow BB users!

finally i got my classic a few days ago and so far i'm more positively convinced by its design and usability rather than its size ;-).
    But here's a strange problem i encountered after pluggin in my 32 GB sandisk SD-card. I will describe the steps i've done and what i encountered because i'm currently im not as far in 'the zone' with BB OS...

- I formatted the card in M$ Windows 7 with either fat32 or exfat file system.
    - my BB recognizes the card and to be sure i formatted the card via the BB storage settings
    - on the card folders (/music, /camera etc.) are created
    - i can copy music from an to the BB via mass storage function (sd card folder: /music)
    - i can copy music from and to the BB via BB Blend (though i can not use drag and drop in Win7 to do this)
    - i can listen to music via the file manager app

BUT:
    - i cannot listen to music via the BB music player (it tells me that i have to use blend, despite using blend to transfer music will not work either)
    - in the storage settings menu it is shown that the SD-card is not recognized and it should be formatted
    - also i can not set the default storage to SD-card in the camera settings

Is there any solution to this problem. On the one hand it is possible to read and write files to the card and on the other hand the integrated apps can not access it ?!?

I hope that you can follow my descripton.

regards in advance
    Tommy
    08-11-15 05:23 AM
    Have you tried to format the SD card again on the device only? There is also a small chance of a busted card, SD cards are IMHO not actually known for a sturdy longevity. Do you have another phone at hand? Checking out the card on a different device might also be an option.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 06:19 AM
    I think the 1st thing to try is to format the card once again and see if that eliminates this issue. If that doesn't work, it may be the card has a defect. Was this a new card?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 06:59 AM
    Hello Fellows :-)

thank you for your answer - strange things happen...

- the card was not new - i used it a while as storage with an usb adapter without any problems, age is around 1-2 years, but not used very often
    - formatting the card via the menu on the device wont do anything (even after removing and reinserting the card)
    - the card is readable via Cardreader and accessible on the device itself (file manager) and via usb-connection (device as mass storage)
    - I also can create folders via the filemanager on the device and via windows (device as mass storage)

I havent tried the card on an other phone but will do this. The strange thing is that the card 'works' as normal despite the BB OS apps (unless i'm using the built-in file manager app) can not recognize/index it.

thank you for your thoughts
    regards
    Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy Montana; 08-11-15 at 07:41 AM.
    08-11-15 07:18 AM
    Hello Fellows,

i suppose the card is damaged because by inserting it in my Motorola Droid Pro the Droid will stop booting (even after i formatted it with FAT-32 filesystem).
    Using the existing card from my droid will allow the BB device to scan for media files etc.

Too bad that you cant rely on SanDisk today. The card was already defect in my Droid Pro and i got a replacement. So this replacement card is also defect :-/

Thank you all for your help!

regards
    Tommy
    08-11-15 07:46 AM
    It's a pity you had a bad experience with Sandisk. I've used their Micro SD cards for years and even the first one I bought 6 years ago still works perfectly. Hopefully all goes well in the future.

Maybe purchase new cards from now on

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.2.2339
    08-11-15 02:21 PM
    Hello Fellows,

i suppose the card is damaged because by inserting it in my Motorola Droid Pro the Droid will stop booting (even after i formatted it with FAT-32 filesystem).
    Using the existing card from my droid will allow the BB device to scan for media files etc.

Too bad that you cant rely on SanDisk today. The card was already defect in my Droid Pro and i got a replacement. So this replacement card is also defect :-/

Thank you all for your help!

regards
    Tommy
    When buying SD cards, I used to go for the Best Deals. Many cards died and the data on them was lost.

When buying the next SD card, I search for its online reviews. What I discovered was that the 'best deal' cards had a high failure rate, and the pricier ones had a low failure rate. The money I saved buying the cheap ones wasn't worth the data I lost.

I now buy Samsung SD cards, the EVO lineup. 64 GB is the size-price sweet spot. The EVO + are a bit faster for a bit more money. The Pro+ are the fastest yet, but are stupid expensive

Also, whatever card you get, avoid eBay. And if you are buying from Amazon, make sure the card description has this in the title: "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon". If sold by a 3rd party, you risk getting a fake one. Besides, the ones sold by Amazon on Amazon are cheaper than the ones sold by the 3rd party vendors on Amazon anyway.
    08-12-15 04:36 AM