Not sure when or what the root cause for them failing is but for some reason my wife's Classic, no longer can play sound. The phone is not abused (at least not in my presence), and I've made sure to have both a TPU case and screen protector on the device at all times. Like all women, the device does get thrown in her purse with the rest of God knows what else is in there.

I've restarted in all 3 BlackBerry 10 methods, it's upgraded to the latest OS version 10.3.2.2876 and I've run numerous BBVA tests for the sound, all of which have failed for the speaker portion of the test.

I'm curious to see if others have experienced the same described issue and what was done to resolve the issue? The only thing not done yet is to completely wipe the device and load up a fresh install but I'm skeptical that would resolve the issue.

My next course of action is to call up BlackBerry Customer Support and see if there is still any warranty left on the device. I bought it second hand and the original owner purchased it from Shop BlackBerry.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    03-27-16 11:30 AM
    I am a lady with a Classic as well (same one I've had since launch). I have a hybrid case currently on the device, but have rocked it nude in the past. I toss my Classic into my purse, my clutch, my backpack, back pocket of my jeans and on a few occasions it has even been tucked away in the general vicinity of my cleavage... It has taken a fall a few times as well, I won't lie... Despite this all, my speakers are alive and well and I have not experienced the issue you've posted about... I would definitely try the wipe and reload of software, it wouldn't hurt at this point, but I wouldn't hold out hope either... Getting BlackBerry to carry a warranty on the device while not being the original buyer may be difficult... I would recommend attempting to resell the device while being honest about the speaker issue (hey, some people enjoy a fixer-upper and are able to easily fix the device, especially if they have another busted Classic with a functioning speaker set-up, makes it easy to swap out the pieces and get her fired up once more) and then seeking out another secondhand device and hope to break even or better yet, Classics are relatively cheap these days (at least here in the US) buy a new one and fall in love all over again! Hopefully another with experience in this issue has a remedy for you, but if not, this is what I would personally recommend.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 12:23 PM
    Does your phone ring at all?

If it is hardware failure, the good news is that BlackBerry is generally very good with warranty on their devices. I had a Z30 past its 1-year warranty period, and they still replaced it with a new one when I needed it.

If it gets to that point, request an "advanced exchange" through BlackBerry's RMA department (which they put you in touch with) so they ship you a new device, the place the amount of the phone on hold on your credit card, and then you ship back your defective phone, and they release the money.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 05:18 PM
    Blackberry sending it all out for the win huh

J Be....Here But Gone...
    03-28-16 09:13 AM
    I opened up a case # with BlackBerry today. They want me to rule out its a software issue by backing up the device and reloading the OS.

I doubt that's going fix the issue but I'll play ball.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    03-28-16 03:56 PM
    I haven't had a speaker issue with my Classic, but I did have the speakers cease to function on my Q10. That was a carrier phone (Verizon) and they replaced under warranty.

-Gary
    03-28-16 05:41 PM
    I haven't had a speaker issue with my Classic, but I did have the speakers cease to function on my Q10. That was a carrier phone (Verizon) and they replaced under warranty.

-Gary
    Did you try reloading the OS onto the Q10 to see if it was software related? That's the only thing left for me to try.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    03-29-16 08:54 AM
    Did you try reloading the OS onto the Q10 to see if it was software related? That's the only thing left for me to try.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    I did. Full wipe and fresh OS. It was hardware in that case.
    03-30-16 04:08 PM
    I did. Full wipe and fresh OS. It was hardware in that case.
    I suspect this is as well. I'll be sending it in for repair at a local shop. Wife will have to resort to using her Q10 again for a short period of time.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    04-09-16 04:32 PM
    It happened to my first Classic. Was told by repair shop they couldn't guarantee a fix, something about getting parts. So I took it back to Verizon and they replaced it.
    The one I have now has an occasional problem, notification sounds don't always work, but no problem with ringtones or audio. So far.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 11:45 AM
    I've had the sound cut out for online video (youtube) maybe twice. Still worked for local media and speaker phone, notifications. I think that mine was a software glitch and a reset of the device fixed it. It's been a long time since that's happened so I am hoping it was just a fluke.

Note: I do not carry a purse, nor am I a woman. Neither do I believe that either of those variables have anything to do with the issue your wife is having.
    04-10-16 12:12 PM
    Had the same issue with my BlackBerry Classic... my carrier replaced it, good job it was still under warranty... carrier sent it to Toronto for repair, after 4 weeks, carrier issued me a new one... in the meantime, my carrier loaned me a Z10 while my Classic was away... dang it, kinda miss that Z10... haha :-)

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 01:32 PM