I was at the beach this weekend and placed the 2-month old phone on a table in the sun. After a few minutes I got a message that the phone was getting hot and that it was going into power saver mode. Within a minute, the glass screen broke into a spider-web of cracks. All of us at the table were surprised at the sound. I went to my Verizon dealer and they said that only Blackberry would handle it as it appeared to be a manufacturing defect - there is no impact or damage mark anywhere on the phone. A call to BB tech support said its not covered (???) and now I'm not sure how to proceed. A call to a repair service indicated that they could replace the glass for $150 - I love the phone but BB is not helping their base support by not even asking to look at the problem which is clearly a manufacturing defect. Any advice?
    06-10-15 07:18 AM
    I like many other, will find this story hard to believe, but I have to give benefit of doubt.

I would honestly keep fighting with BlackBerry to get it replaced, as that is a clear manufacturer defect.

Edit: For you knowledge BlackBerry Classic Q20 - ETrade Supply

The screen is roughly $100 USD on it's own. So again, keep fighting with BlackBerry. Use social media like Twitter. Most respond pretty good to negative social media.
    06-10-15 07:32 AM
    Hi Kris - thx for the reply. I too found it hard to believe, and would absolutely expect anyone to doubt what occurred. If it weren't for the fact that I'm an industrial forensics investigator, and have seen stress cracking in glsas like this in the past, I wouldn't be so quick to try to get a fix/replacement from BB. I'm only on Facebook, so I'll post the issue there and hope that someone at BB sees it. --Rich
    06-10-15 08:00 AM
    Hi Kris - thx for the reply. I too found it hard to believe, and would absolutely expect anyone to doubt what occurred. If it weren't for the fact that I'm an industrial forensics investigator, and have seen stress cracking in glsas like this in the past, I wouldn't be so quick to try to get a fix/replacement from BB. I'm only on Facebook, so I'll post the issue there and hope that someone at BB sees it. --Rich
    I've never seen a screen crack under extreme heat (cold yes, but not heat), and I use a heat gun almost everyday to repair cellphone screens all the time (gotta heat that adhesive to get the screen off).

I'd love to test leaving it in the heat, but wouldn't dare do that with my Passport lol
    06-10-15 08:21 AM
    I doubt this story and I having problems believing you are an industrial forensics investigator. If you were, then please provide evidence that it was a manufacture defect. If could have been that you put a tiny scratch or chip in the glass yourself which caused the issue. You should also know that to prove your case, it would take up more of your hourly rate than it would to pay the 150. And I am not an industrial forensics investigator but I know better than to leave electronics on a table in the sun. Just asking for problems.
    Kris Simundson likes this.
    06-10-15 08:28 AM
    if it's from the heat, it's not the screen- its the metal band around the screen that would have had to contract and then crack the screen - glass of almost any modern type will have to be heated quite a bit...

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 09:30 AM
    if it's from the heat, it's not the screen- its the metal band around the screen that would have had to contract and then crack the screen - glass of almost any modern type will have to be heated quite a bit...

Posted via CB10
    Heat causes metal to expand. According to The Simpsons anyway.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 11:52 AM
    If you doubt my credentials, just check me out - Rich Evans - on LinkedIn. More than 35 years of forensic microscopy and failure analysis on a variety of materials. This is a manufacturers defect whether or not the screen was bad or the heat somehow affected the metal band/glass interface, it was not a drop or any other impact failure. I love the phone (been a BB user for more than 15 years) just wish the Customer Care center was more friendly. --Rich
    06-10-15 11:53 AM
    If you doubt my credentials, just check me out - Rich Evans - on LinkedIn. More than 35 years of forensic microscopy and failure analysis on a variety of materials. This is a manufacturers defect whether or not the screen was bad or the heat somehow affected the metal band/glass interface, it was not a drop or any other impact failure. I love the phone (been a BB user for more than 15 years) just wish the Customer Care center was more friendly. --Rich
    Don't need to check it out. Just provide forensic proof that it was a manufactures defect. Sounds you haven't done any testing. Should be easy for you to prove your case. Waiting for the evidence.
    06-10-15 03:27 PM
    I believe you but can we see pictures? I have a Classic and live in Southern California.. it's almost summer so now I feel like I need to be extra careful with it.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 10:30 PM
    Sorry for your bad luck. That's the first I've ever heard of something like that happening. I spend a lot of time at the beaches here in Florida and I'm always careful to never leave my phone in direct sun. Good luck with getting it replaced.

PS: You didn't have insurance (Asurion or something)?

BlackBerryaholic by choice.
    06-11-15 12:37 AM
    This has happened to me with another phone. It was getting hot, and the screen cracked. Yes, it sounds weird, but it's true. There are actually a lot of users who are reporting this issue, google it!
    07-09-15 03:56 PM
    Take it back to the VZW store and shove it up the *** of the first employee you see. Then go buy a new one at AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 10:42 AM