I left the classic for a while for android land. But honestly Google is a mess. their privacy and security practices are terrible and their phones just don't last. So yeah booting back into my classic. I am home! I wish we could make BB10 last forever.
    anon(10321802) and DWonder like this.
    09-25-19 08:42 PM
    I left the classic for a while for android land. But honestly Google is a mess. their privacy and security practices are terrible and their phones just don't last. So yeah booting back into my classic. I am home! I wish we could make BB10 last forever.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/does-...sell-your-data

Google phones, i.e.: Pixels, get updates for over 3 years.
    09-25-19 11:36 PM
    Get an iPhone. I am using an IP 7 Plus.... It is great.
    09-25-19 11:50 PM
    Get an iPhone. I am using an IP 7 Plus.... It is great.
    BB10 is great too if it works for you.
    TrumpetTiger likes this.
    09-25-19 11:56 PM
    Pixels, get updates for over 3 years.
    That is terrible to be honest. Who would deal with say a laptop with windows on it that you will have to throw away in 3 years? But we are okay with phones that cost more than a laptop that we will just throw away in three years?
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    09-26-19 06:10 AM
    I will probably wait for one of the linux smartphones to get a bit more polished and then buy one of those. either the pinephone or the librem5
    09-26-19 06:11 AM
    That is terrible to be honest. Who would deal with say a laptop with windows on it that you will have to throw away in 3 years? But we are okay with phones that cost more than a laptop that we will just throw away in three years?
    That's because the margins are so small on smartphones that they can only afford to support them for that long.

Most OEMs, apart from the expensive flagships, only put on $10 to $20 on each phone.

The statistics also show that people keep their phones for an average of 26 months. So why add another $?? to the selling price to tack on an extra two years of support?
    09-26-19 09:17 AM
    That's because the margins are so small on smartphones that they can only afford to support them for that long.

Most OEMs, apart from the expensive flagships, only put on $10 to $20 on each phone.

The statistics also show that people keep their phones for an average of 26 months. So why add another $?? to the selling price to tack on an extra two years of support?
    If the margins are that small they shouldn't be in business very long or the market will eventually deal with it through consolidation

Statistics also show that users are now holding onto their devices longer as people dummy-up or see nothing new or exciting in handhelds anymore

Posted via CB10
    09-27-19 09:21 AM
    If the margins are that small they shouldn't be in business very long or the market will eventually deal with it through consolidation

Statistics also show that users are now holding onto their devices longer as people dummy-up or see nothing new or exciting in handhelds anymore

Posted via CB10
    That's why volume matters in smartphone sales. Ask HTC, Sony, and LG.

Also:
    09-27-19 09:24 AM
    That's why volume matters in smartphone sales. Ask HTC, Sony, and LG.

Also:[IMG=540x810]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190927/716c5b8dcc8d911ebead0629a98a49b5.jpg[/url]
    and with decreasing volumes yoy, as a result of increasing retention, this game is becoming increasingly difficult to play
    09-27-19 12:20 PM
    and with decreasing volumes yoy, as a result of increasing retention, this game is becoming increasingly difficult to play
    Data shows lifecycle will actually decrease over time.
    09-27-19 12:22 PM
    Data shows lifecycle will actually decrease over time.
    I don't know how that data was compiled, what factors were taken into consideration such as the sample size, different OS, different brands, used phones etc. Some sources say the average lifespan or product life cycle of smartphones and feature phones is as high as 4+ yrs, regardless the general view is that more people are hanging onto their phones longer and in many cases we're seeing a resurgence of older devices that do what old BBL devices did best, communications. Yes some apps are cool and useful, but there's always a workaround and most things are done better or can only be done on a laptop. I don't see people talking about how cool their new phone is anymore.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-19 04:48 PM
    I don't know how that data was compiled, what factors were taken into consideration such as the sample size, different OS, different brands, used phones etc. Some sources say the average lifespan or product life cycle of smartphones and feature phones is as high as 4+ yrs, regardless the general view is that more people are hanging onto their phones longer and in many cases we're seeing a resurgence of older devices that do what old BBL devices did best, communications. Yes some apps are cool and useful, but there's always a workaround and most things are done better or can only be done on a laptop. I don't see people talking about how cool their new phone is anymore.

Posted via CB10
    ...this is why I have kept on using my Z30 (work) and my Passport for my personal phones...I never got into the 'app' thing as most things are still (and always will be) better done on a PC/laptop...

I also still use Blend (still works flawlessly with my Windows 10 laptop) for bringing up stuff on the bigger screen and also to share hard drive files to my Z30.

From time to time I also pop a SIM card in my various BBOS phones as they still do most of the things my Passport will do and have excellent battery life...the only one I can't use is my Storm 2 as it's locked to Bell and for some odd reason the IMEI number isn't recognized so that they can unlock it...

It would be nice if people started to revert away from the life sucking 'smart phones'...maybe come up for air for a while...

Posted on my Powerful Passport
    bb9900user2018 and dozamike like this.
    09-27-19 06:41 PM
    One other thing to mention about the graph conite posted, the data in those graphs are forecasts/predictions, however sales data show a decrease in mobile devices sales for sometime, most of it attributed to device retention ie., people holding onto their devices longer than in the past. I think we can debate why people are holding onto their devices longer such as cost, novelty, features, security etc

Posted via CB10
    10-02-19 08:59 AM
    One other thing to mention about the graph conite posted, the data in those graphs are forecasts/predictions, however sales data show a decrease in mobile devices sales for sometime, most of it attributed to device retention ie., people holding onto their devices longer than in the past. I think we can debate why people are holding onto their devices longer such as cost, novelty, features, security etc

Posted via CB10
    Nevertheless, those are predictions based on current trends and statistics by a reputable company.

Between 2016 and 2018, there was a bump the other way however:

"At the time of trade-in, the average Android phone was 2.66 years old, up from 2.44 years old in the comparable period in 2016, Hyla said. Hyla, a company that focuses on the secondary-use market for smartphones, provides analytics and device trade-in programs for businesses.". That's 2 1/2 months.
    10-02-19 09:49 AM
    Nevertheless, those are predictions based on current trends and statistics by a reputable company.
    The polls in the 2016 US presidential election were considered accurate and from reputable sources. You do agree that decreasing sales for mobile devices is because of device retention? That's what the device manufactures are saying.

In the O&G industry depletion curves forecast 7-10yrs forward, rarely are they accurate, there are other examples of forecasts often being wrong including the weather 3 days forward. I wouldn't hang my hat on the numbers you presented.
    10-02-19 09:55 AM
    The polls in the 2016 US presidential election were considered accurate and from reputable sources. You do agree that decreasing sales for mobile devices is because of device retention? That's what the device manufactures are saying.

In the O&G industry depletion curves forecast 7-10yrs forward, rarely are they accurate, there are other examples of forecasts often being wrong including the weather 3 days forward. I wouldn't hang my hat on the numbers you presented.
    Regardless, their analysis is likely much better than my gut feel.

All statistics have error margins.

I think the problem was lack of innovation the last couple of years. With 5G and foldables hitting the markets, it will be different. We also now have a huge influx of cheap, high-powered devices, which make it easier to replace earlier.
    10-02-19 09:57 AM
    Regardless, their analysis is likely much better than my gut feel.

All statistics have error margins.

I think the problem was lack of innovation the last couple of years. With 5G and foldables hitting the markets, it will be different. We also now have a huge influx of cheap, high-powered devices, which make it easier to replace earlier.
    Maybe. I don't see anyone talking about their cool phones anymore - I think that ship has sailed.

You do agree that decreasing sales for mobile devices is because of device retention? That's what the device manufactures are saying.
    10-02-19 10:03 AM
    Maybe. I don't see anyone talking about their cool phones anymore - I think that ship has sailed.

You do agree that decreasing sales for mobile devices is because of device retention? That's what the device manufactures are saying.
    I think that may be the case for the West, but the bigger impact globally is likely market saturation in the developing world.
    10-02-19 10:08 AM
    I think that may be the case for the West, but the bigger impact globally is likely market saturation in the developing world.
    I think the pendulum is swinging back to phones as primarily communication devices (hence the resurgence of older BB devices) as people slowly realize that spending $1k on a new phone every 2-3yrs is an utter waste of money, especially when they consider that no one cares about their new phone.
    10-02-19 10:21 AM
    I think the pendulum is swinging back to phones as primarily communication devices (hence the resurgence of older BB devices) as people slowly realize that spending $1k on a new phone every 2-3yrs is an utter waste of money, especially when they consider that no one cares about their new phone.
    That's what I mean about the new $300-$400 super-phones. They are changing the landscape. You can also get decent phones for $150, and workable Pie devices for $50.

I see them being replaced much more quickly. They've almost become disposable.
    10-02-19 10:23 AM
    That's what I mean about the new $300-$400 super-phones. They are changing the landscape. You can also get decent phones for $150, and workable Pie devices for $50.

I see them being replaced much more quickly.
    Yes I can "buy" that, an Alcatel Tetra with Oreo for $50 on Amazon or even newer devices for the same amount will result in devices being replaced more frequently.
    10-02-19 10:30 AM
    The only thing I dislike more than Google is Apple. So for people like me that don't want either option that is out there right now there is little other choice that actually works than BB10. Sure there are some interesting "dumb phone" options out there but they don't work for me for a daily driver. The linux phones coming out are the only other option I have. They probably won't be ready for another 6 months to a year and the app support is going to be soft initially and I am sure the software will be buggy at first. I need something that is a solid daily driver for now and that is why I am sticking with BB10 for the time being.
    10-07-19 12:32 PM
    The only thing I dislike more than Google is Apple. So for people like me that don't want either option that is out there right now there is little other choice that actually works than BB10. Sure there are some interesting "dumb phone" options out there but they don't work for me for a daily driver. The linux phones coming out are the only other option I have. They probably won't be ready for another 6 months to a year and the app support is going to be soft initially and I am sure the software will be buggy at first. I need something that is a solid daily driver for now and that is why I am sticking with BB10 for the time being.
    Nice. If it works for you, why change phones right now if the other choices aren't appealing. I'm in the same boat.

Posted via CB10
    dozamike likes this.
    10-07-19 01:51 PM