Just to help anyone else out that may be wanting hotspot on their byod cricket device. I found a workaround. If you purchase a phone or have a good friend that will let you use their imei of their !!hotspot compatible!! !!CRICKET!! phone you are good. Today I had a friend go with me to the store location and we switched imei's on our acccount. So I technically have her LG stylo imei linked to my phone number in the cricket system. And she has my old ATT S5 byod imei on her account. This allowed the Rep to activate the Mobile Hotspot on my Account. I simply left my Simcard in my phone while the change took place. I'm not sure if removing it or changing phones will register a change in their system or not. I am paying the $10 a month to cricket to enable mobile hotspot. But completely worth the trade off when my only other options were to pay more/ get less with a carrier that supports/ doesn't block hotspot; or sell my Blackberry and Note4 and find Different Versions. My next phone will not be an ATT phone this is for sure.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-19-16 04:56 PM
    Cool. What you did is provision your phone for a service it is technically capable of, just denied by the carrier. So what happened is that your phone gets Hotspot activated (because of the "dummy" IMEI.) At some point, Cricket's system is going to pick up your phone's true IMEI# and let it Hotspot (provided you keep paying for it, Cricket doesn't discontinue offering it, etc etc.) And your friend's phone's IMEI is going to be linked back to her phone. I make it sound like a drawn out process, but in reality, all this could have happened within minutes.

A more common use of "dummy" IMEI provisioning is when someone with a capable phone (like a BB10 phone) has to use this technique to get LTE working. And perhaps unsurprisingly, this is needed on AT&T. A lot, seemingly.
    03-19-16 08:46 PM
    Cool. What you did is provision your phone for a service it is technically capable of, just denied by the carrier. So what happened is that your phone gets Hotspot activated (because of the "dummy" IMEI.) At some point, Cricket's system is going to pick up your phone's true IMEI# and let it Hotspot (provided you keep paying for it, Cricket doesn't discontinue offering it, etc etc.) And your friend's phone's IMEI is going to be linked back to her phone. I make it sound like a drawn out process, but in reality, all this could have happened within minutes.

A more common use of "dummy" IMEI provisioning is when someone with a capable phone (like a BB10 phone) has to use this technique to get LTE working. And perhaps unsurprisingly, this is needed on AT&T. A lot, seemingly.
    Yeah I used to work for ATT and a Local Phone Company called Ntelos so I kinda just tried it out to see if I could get It working this way. I was pretty sure it would. And I know that they're system will eventually pick up on my true imei but your saying it WILL let me keep using hotspot? Same if I switch my Simcard into my Note 4? I didn't know if when it picks it up if it will stop allowing me to
    03-20-16 08:41 AM
    a Local Phone Company called Ntelos
    Now that's a throwback. Sprint (through it's subsidiary) put in a bid to basically buy them. The deal is supposed to close this year.

I know that they're system will eventually pick up on my true imei but your saying it WILL let me keep using hotspot?
    Yes, I think so--based on how LTE provisioning has worked in the past: it sticks even after the real IMEI percolates. I think as long as you're paying for the feature, it should work.

Same if I switch my Simcard into my Note 4? I didn't know if when it picks it up if it will stop allowing me to
    If the Note 4 is not in their database (like the Stylo is,) you may have to provision it just like you did with your Classic. But I don't think you're going to have to re-provision your Classic because its IMEI is already in the system.
    03-20-16 12:59 PM
    I'm going to try it and see how it goes real quick. I'll post back and let you know if it allows the Note to use Hotspot and If it disables the hotspot feature on my classic afterwards

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 03:17 PM
    Update: So I threw the sim into My Note4 and all was good. The hotspot Feature worked fine and threw my sim back into my classic. It worked again. So at least I know now I can change Phones and not have to worry about it.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    03-20-16 04:10 PM