04-19-14 10:48 PM
28 12
tools
    Some people have said bb10 is gesture based and does not need a trackpad. To a point I'd go along with this. Bb10 has no more need, nay less nees for a trackpad than android on anything less than a 5 inch screen..... but that does not mean theres no need for a trackpad.

Any internet browser is so much easier to use with a trackpad including the BlackBerry 10 browser. So much less zooming in and out to close popups, or select from menus.

Neutron music player. Great app but how much easier would it be to adjust the EQ, pre amp and I so many other settings with a trackpad?

Neuton and BlackBerry media player. Ok no probs with any media under about 8 minutes but longer tracks, moving to a place in a large media file is horrendous without a trackpad!
    Bbc i-player, youtube - want to watch that bit again? so much easier with a trackpad.

Minion rush, how much easier using a trackpad?

What other apps would you like enjoy more with the use of a trackpad?
    Last edited by gg bb; 03-03-14 at 11:28 AM.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    03-03-14 11:16 AM
    I don't think apps will benefit but the user may as they may prefer the pad for actions over their fingers. The biggest benefit of the pad for me would be text selection but I find it isn't that difficult without the pad.
    03-03-14 11:20 AM
    I'll try and edit the wording in my post - I meant - how many apps would be nicer to use with a track pad
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-03-14 11:26 AM
    None that I can think of. Trackpad is useful for Internet browsing and word documents. That's about it. Native bb10 apps are great the way they are.

Posted via my beautiful Z10
    hydson likes this.
    03-03-14 11:30 AM
    Riiiight.
    None that I can think of. Trackpad is useful for Internet browsing and word documents. That's about it. Native bb10 apps are great the way they are.

03-03-14 12:04 PM
    Riiiight.
    Feel free to disagree. Mostly because I don't care.

03-03-14 12:59 PM
    That makes two of us.
    03-03-14 01:01 PM
    They're great the way they are because they were designed to be used without a trackpad. Doesn't mean some apps won't continue to be great by utilizing the trackpad when it's available. ~ shrugs~ some people will find it more useful, some people won't.

Feel free to disagree. Mostly because I don't care.

03-03-14 01:04 PM
    Facebook is another one due to lots of scrolling.

And app switching, since the menu button is supposed to be returning alongside the trackpad.
    03-04-14 04:32 AM
    Would be useful for something like modern combat... virtual sticks are hard enough to play with, let alone the fact the q10s screen is already so small... with the trackpad, one of the sticks can go away!

Posted via CB10 for BlackBerry Q10
    03-04-14 08:41 AM
    One-handed operation for every app will be improved with a Trackpad. Some people don't care about one-handed operation, so they care less about the Trackpad than others, but it is undeniable that a full-slab BB10 device can't be operated exclusively with one hand by people who aren't freaks of nature.

There will be new opportunities for gaming as well: yes, I expect that there will be games made specifically for devices with a trackpad, because one gaming mechanic is how quickly you can move your pointer around with a given control: imagine Missile Command with a touchscreen and you'll see a type of game that having a control like the Trackpad is part of the challenge in the way the game is played, and a joystick or a touchscreen doesn't quite compensate. I prefer playing a game like BrickBreaker without covering the screen with my huge thumb or having controls on screen: if you have a trackpad, the screen is for the GAME, not for the controls. I'd love to play old-school classics like Galaga on a device with a trackpad for left-right movement and the spacebar for firing, rather than having on screen controls.

Any app that uses a variety of on-screen controls like checkboxes, radio buttons, sliders etc... typically, you can't zoom in on those controls (controls in apps don't "zoom", but the content they host might... you can zoom in on a Web page, but you can't zoom in on the browser's Settings menu). Haven't we all felt the frustration of trying to click a radio button to choose and the control is small enough that touching the right choice is hard, so you have to try multiple times? A Trackpad will allow you to just point with single-pixel precision and click it right the first time.

Mostly, it's long-form text editing and web browsing without zooming in that will benefit, but a Trackpad provides general utility throughout the OS and the apps (by way of the already-built-in support for Bluetooth pointing devices... pair your Z10 with a Bluetooth mouse and the mouse pointer is available everywhere, and can be used with any app, without having to change the app at all).
    03-04-14 04:44 PM
    It would have helped in browser for me this morning. Was trying to submit a post, and the submit button was super close to check boxes for email and what not. Took a minute, 10 or more tries and patience to finally toggle it. With a trackpad, it would have been seconds as the box above it would have gotten focus and an easy down and push. Friggin' thing wouldn't zoom.

So apps without zoom support would benefit from trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    th.1977 likes this.
    03-05-14 12:05 AM
    How about Brickbreaker?!? That game was awesome with the trackpad. It just doesn't have the same feeling with the Q10 and it's gestures

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    03-05-14 12:51 AM
    It's definitely about selecting for copy/paste to me but browsing is up there as well. Besides accuracy, the ability to hover over buttons and links is huge on websites designed for desktop computers.

Also love the call buttons on the tool belt... having hardware buttons would have saved me some embarrassing mistakes and would save me a little time for sure.
    03-06-14 07:04 AM
    None

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 07:30 PM
    It's definitely about selecting for copy/paste to me but browsing is up there as well. Besides accuracy, the ability to hover over buttons and links is huge on websites designed for desktop computers.

Also love the call buttons on the tool belt... having hardware buttons would have saved me some embarrassing mistakes and would save me a little time for sure.
    Exactly. Although, I am interested how successful they will be in the userinterface that incorporates both the gestures of a Q10 and a trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 09:24 PM
    The hub. Selecting multiple messages to delete them or mark them as read.

With gestures, if I have two spam messages, I'll open them one by one and delete them, since that's quicker than "tap-hold, select more, tap other, delete".

With a trackpad, it would be much quicker, and I wouldn't have to open the spam messages.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 01:58 PM
    The hub. Selecting multiple messages to delete them or mark them as read.

With gestures, if I have two spam messages, I'll open them one by one and delete them, since that's quicker than "tap-hold, select more, tap other, delete".

With a trackpad, it would be much quicker, and I wouldn't have to open the spam messages.

Posted via CB10
    What did I just read?

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    03-10-14 02:05 PM
    What did I just read?

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    Are you referring to the "uncluttering the hub" tip?

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 03:08 PM
    one handed editing of excel, for starters.
    momofteme likes this.
    04-09-14 09:59 PM
    It would have helped in browser for me this morning. Was trying to submit a post, and the submit button was super close to check boxes for email and what not. Took a minute, 10 or more tries and patience to finally toggle it. With a trackpad, it would have been seconds as the box above it would have gotten focus and an easy down and push. Friggin' thing wouldn't zoom.

So apps without zoom support would benefit from trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    +100

So many times I am cursing at my Q10 because I'm trying to click on a link or go into a text box and I end up touching the wrong thing and it leads me away from where I want to be...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    th.1977 likes this.
    04-10-14 04:34 AM
    the calendar. i use a lot of repeating events and the repeat tab is partially below the bottom of the screen. hard to hit for my thumb. i have to scroll up just to get to repeat. I think the trackpad will also make scrolling through the date and time easier when you set an event.
    04-18-14 08:43 AM
    First, out of the gate, let me say that I totally enjoy my Q10. I am not happy when I try to edit a word right close to either left or right edge. I cannot get the bubble to move where I want it to change a letter close to the edge. The trackpad would help in this instance.
    04-18-14 09:36 PM
    anything that involves selecting text or precision ... i prefer my desktop pc due to the mouse and keyboard operation ... My q10 has the keyboard but not the mouse ... im trading in my Q10 for the Q20 as soon as i possibly can ... i genuinely don't understand why anyone wouldn't want a trackpad ... this returns the full unique BB experience and the reason why i gave my 3GS IPhone to my wife and have never looked back
    rayporsche likes this.
    04-19-14 02:35 AM
    First, out of the gate, let me say that I totally enjoy my Q10. I am not happy when I try to edit a word right close to either left or right edge. I cannot get the bubble to move where I want it to change a letter close to the edge. The trackpad would help in this instance.
    -Shift+delete (or backspace) will delete forward.
    - if you miss your target edit spot that you wanted, left or right, tap and hold on the bottom of the edit reticle, and move immediately to your edit point that you wanted and release. Holding and moving at the bottom of the reticle allows you to see the blinking cursor for fast and accurate placement.
    04-19-14 07:21 PM
28 12