Hi there. I'm new here and just had a quick question regarding apps. I just purchased a BB Classic. I've researched BBM10 apps and keep getting conflicting responses when it comes to android apps. Do all android apps work for BBM10? Is there a way to load the APK file for all of them or just some? I am not a big app user but I would like the opportunity to use Chase Mobile App to deposit checks if I need to. I see there are programs like SNAP and whatnot that can side-load apps and programs but I also hear that some apps are just simply not supported anymore. What other apps like snap are there? Can someone clarify all of this for me? Thank you very much.
    10-29-17 08:55 AM
    Do all android apps work for BBM10?
    No, and fewer and fewer are becoming the norm as minimum requirements for the ancient android runtime in BB10 are not being met for the apps to work. Our android runtime (ART) is capable of running android apps (.apks) of version 4.3 or less. Since we are now up to android 8 (Oreo), the runtime is getting very old and, by the way, will not be upgraded.
    I would like the opportunity to use Chase Mobile App to deposit checks if I need to
    I doubt very much whether you can deposit checks with the android Chase Mobile app. Most (if not all) android banking apps will not allow you to integrate the camera OR gps (location) functions or features. Otherwise, the app may function for now. You can find this out by checking in Google Play Store what the minimum requirements for android version you need to run the app. Also if an app states that Google Play Services is required, you will be out of luck as far as using a BB10 device unless you do some extensive work-arounds. (see my next explanation)

there are programs like SNAP and whatnot
    Snap no longer works (as of BB10 version 10.3.3.xxxx) but you can install what we refer to as Cobalt's Stack or solution. This requires some work but allows you to use Google Play Services, which in turn, allows you to install and use android apps that require Services. However, even with this genius workaround (by a guy named Cobalt) there is still another step called "patching or whitelisting" that needs to be done for some android apps in order to get things working properly. Even after these steps, some apps just will NOT work, period. You can check all this out by searching here on CB forums for Cobalt's google play store.

What other apps like snap are there?
    What other apps like snap are there?
    There is a front-end android app called Yalp Store that I use and like that allows you to access, download and install android apps directly from the Google Play Store, but apps requiring Google Play Services will not work in your BB10 device. Just so you understand, you do NOT sideload ANY android apps. If you find an android .apk file on the web, you can just click on the .apk file and download and install directly onto your BB10 device. Getting the app to work properly is another matter and is getting harder and harder as time goes by.

Hope this helps somewhat. Good Luck!
    10-29-17 10:22 AM
    Hello

First, i would like to correct one small detail, you talk about "BBM10" but BBM = Blackberry Messenger". You may say "BB10" or "BBOS 10" or "Blackberry 10"

About android apps, there's several ways to get them.

- You can manually search the apk file on the internet then install it on your device. (need at least BBOS 10.2.1)

- You can manage the android apps with a "store".
    Since BBOS 10.3.0, Amazon App Store is pre-installed on your device, you just need an Amazon account.

You can use "F-Droid" (you have to download the apk on the official website, it's free of charges), F-Droid is a store with only open-source android apps

You can use "Snap" but you have to pay and it doesn't work with BB OS 10.3.3 (plus the developer seems to be vanished...)
    Anyway, Snap is a native front-end app which allows to download and install apps from Google Play Store

And finally, you can install the officiel Google Play Store, if you want to go that way, read this tutorial made by Cobalt, a very trusted user : https://forums.crackberry.com/androi...nstructions-98

About the compatibility of the apps, yes some of them doesn't simply work on blackberry 10.
    Blackberry 10 includes Android runtime up to 4.3 so all the apps only compatible with Android 4.4 or higher can't be installed on your device.
    And all android apps who need google play service (like google maps) to run will work with some serious issues or won't work at all.
    For this last case, there is way to patch these apps, for that please read this tutorial (thanks to Cobalt again) : https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...g-page-965257/

That's all i can say about your questions.

Cheers
    10-29-17 10:43 AM
    Hi there. I'm new here and just had a quick question regarding apps. I just purchased a BB Classic. I've researched BBM10 apps and keep getting conflicting responses when it comes to android apps. Do all android apps work for BBM10? Is there a way to load the APK file for all of them or just some? I am not a big app user but I would like the opportunity to use Chase Mobile App to deposit checks if I need to. I see there are programs like SNAP and whatnot that can side-load apps and programs but I also hear that some apps are just simply not supported anymore. What other apps like snap are there? Can someone clarify all of this for me? Thank you very much.
    Sell your classic and get a keyone. I loved the classic and now I love the keyone even more. The transition was seamless.
    10-29-17 11:13 AM
    I think cheques are being phased out. You can load apk directly from your file manager or url,and if you look around the older version and api's are available can't guarantee they will work forever though.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-17 11:47 AM
    Even though the Android runtime in BB10 is pretty old, it doesn't mean you can't run apps built for the latest Android version, just have to use an older version of it.
    10-29-17 12:03 PM
    Even though the Android runtime in BB10 is pretty old, it doesn't mean you can't run apps built for the latest Android version, just have to use an older version of it.
    Except that banking apps are all about security and usually older versions will not work.
    10-29-17 12:17 PM
    Except that banking apps are all about security and usually older versions will not work.
    Yes, I did not mean to imply that all apps work, just that many have older versions available.
    10-29-17 12:51 PM
    Thanks for your replies. The only apps I really want are any gps/driving direction apps and OneDrive (or something identical to it). I need the ability to take notes on my BB and access the file from any device. It is preferable that the file is a microsoft Word document. Any ideas? Thank you.
    10-29-17 10:58 PM
    Well, docs to go.. just email it to yourself.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    10-30-17 01:42 AM
    Box supplies you with a document mailing address also. BB maps works fine if you set the route while in wifi. I usually use the assistant and it sets a route.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    10-30-17 03:14 AM
    I dont want to email it. I want to edit the doc live from whatever device i am on. Like onedrive. The gps app i need cant be wifi dependent. Any other suggestions?
    10-30-17 07:55 AM
    For onedrive, the native app still works, you can also take a look at "Box for Blackberry 10" on the BB store.

About the GPS, there's one native app that works pretty great : Genius Maps. You can download the maps and use it offline for free. The thing is : you have to pay a "Pro-Guidance" license to get functionalities like turn-by-turn and voice instructions. Also you can't re-use this license if you move to an another platform like android or iOS.

If you want a free app, i suggest you to select an android app based on Openstreetmap, you can also download the maps that you need for free and navigate offline.
    Currently, i'm testing Navmii, Maps.me, Magic Earth, GPS-Tracks and Navit but i didn't make my choice yet because
    FYI, Maps.me and Navit are open-source and all these apps are still in active development.
    10-30-17 10:16 AM
    I dont want to email it. I want to edit the doc live from whatever device i am on. Like onedrive. The gps app i need cant be wifi dependent. Any other suggestions?
    Yea doing that will let you edit it anywhere you collect your email. I have a folder called Notes in my Outlook emails Archive folder full of Word Documents. The attachments option within BlackBerry hub shows what I have Archived without even having to scroll through emails.

Or save them as drafts.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    10-30-17 03:04 PM
    Apps for Classic-img_20171030_203356.png
    That is what the attachments look like in the Hub or just open Docs To Go. Should Note that it has Search. Same in the .Doc has search and replace which is sooo useful.
    10-30-17 03:39 PM
    And atm have about 3000 emails however it was 8000 before I ditched half so you shouldnt have to worry about filling it up.
    One Drive is nice for Larger files but otherwise slower than this method, yet virtually the same Idea.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-17 03:53 PM