Hey Tdyhegde, I agree. I don't like the new version which is why I stay below 7.0. I have several version below 7.0 and I think I already tried 6.14 and it locked up during navagation. But it could have been another version, so I will try again seeing that you are on 10.3.1.1154. But I will try 6.9 tomorrow since I have it loaded and ready to go. Thanks for the input.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 08:40 PM
    I just found a 6.9 version off one of my android device and just extracted the apk off of it. I will test it out tomorrow to let everyone know if it works. 7.0 and above is when they changed the format and become un-user friendly (at least for me).

Posted via CB10
    Cool, let me know, I'd love to get that apk off you if it works. :-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-28-14 09:49 PM
    Well, bad news Slagman5, 6.14 and 6.9 crashed. I kinda knew that 6.9 wouldn't do the trick but it was worth the try. The only main difference from 6.8.1 was that it allowed you to download maps to be used offline. So I pulled my last backup file which is 7.0. I don't like the UI on these builds, but I will give it a go in an hour or two. I know this file can be found online. It is the smallest build of the 7.0 series and above of only 7mb, so it loads pretty quick. So I think you will like it for that reason. Now, the big test to see if it doesn't crash. Boy, I forgot how laggy the 9.0.xxx builds were and almost died how long it took to load when I tested it out last night. So you will like 7.0 for the load speed and panning around the map and how quickly it refreshes. I'll keep you posted if you don't beat me to it. But I have a strange feeling this one is going to hold water. I just like how the builds below 7.0 were. Oh well, you can't have everything ;( If you can't find that apk, let me know and I'll see how we can get it to you.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:20 AM
    The only good thing about the later Google maps versions is the improved navigation voice,.. she sounds less robotic.

Other than that, it's definitely becoming a rather heavy app for our poor runtime.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:24 AM
    Yes. I agree with that. I think the folks using the Passport aren't noticing this, but for the rest of us, it is very obvious. I guess this is where the Classic 2 will come in to play. But 7.0 seems to work smooth and load pretty fast. It is night and day difference between 9.0 builds. I'll test this out in the next hour, but I have a good feeling about this. Otherwise, the Classic is getting boxed up and sent back as it is acting to much like the real Classic; haha

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:44 AM
    The only good thing about the later Google maps versions is the improved navigation voice,.. she sounds less robotic.

Other than that, it's definitely becoming a rather heavy app for our poor runtime.

Posted via CB10
    But it isn't consistent. Most of the time the pleasant new voice will be up, then all of a sudden the crazy robotic lady will speak... It's so weird...

12-29-14 09:46 AM
    Well, bad news Slagman5, 6.14 and 6.9 crashed. I kinda knew that 6.9 wouldn't do the trick but it was worth the try. The only main difference from 6.8.1 was that it allowed you to download maps to be used offline. So I pulled my last backup file which is 7.0. I don't like the UI on these builds, but I will give it a go in an hour or two. I know this file can be found online. It is the smallest build of the 7.0 series and above of only 7mb, so it loads pretty quick. So I think you will like it for that reason. Now, the big test to see if it doesn't crash. Boy, I forgot how laggy the 9.0.xxx builds were and almost died how long it took to load when I tested it out last night. So you will like 7.0 for the load speed and panning around the map and how quickly it refreshes. I'll keep you posted if you don't beat me to it. But I have a strange feeling this one is going to hold water. I just like how the builds below 7.0 were. Oh well, you can't have everything ;( If you can't find that apk, let me know and I'll see how we can get it to you.

Posted via CB10
    Let me know how it works, don't have any previous versions to try out...

12-29-14 09:47 AM
    Ok. It works. I'm happy and sad at the same time. But there are a some thing to like about 7.0 as well. It is easier to see the traffic on the map as they improved the visibility making it easy to see the red, yellow and green. And the option to choose different routes before hitting navigate is nice. I still prefer 6.8.1 but till it starts working again. This is the one you want.
    Now how do I get it to you Slagman5? Can I and am I allowed to attach an apk file to the post? I don't know the rules about this as the most I've done is post pictures. Can anyone answer this question?

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    12-29-14 10:40 AM
    Wow. That's odd that 6.14.4 crashed. My next suggestions would be to try 7.0.2.

Edit: I'm actually on 6.14.5 and here's a link to it if anyone wants it: https://app.box.com/s/gwyidq9rby0xwxw253ng
    Last edited by tdyhedge; 12-29-14 at 01:01 PM.
    12-29-14 11:47 AM
    Ok. It works. I'm happy and sad at the same time. But there are a some thing to like about 7.0 as well. It is easier to see the traffic on the map as they improved the visibility making it easy to see the red, yellow and green. And the option to choose different routes before hitting navigate is nice. I still prefer 6.8.1 but till it starts working again. This is the one you want.
    Now how do I get it to you Slagman5? Can I and am I allowed to attach an apk file to the post? I don't know the rules about this as the most I've done is post pictures. Can anyone answer this question?

Posted via CB10
    Do you have box, dropbox, or onedrive?

12-29-14 01:37 PM
    But it isn't consistent. Most of the time the pleasant new voice will be up, then all of a sudden the crazy robotic lady will speak... It's so weird...

Lol.. that would be weird,

Glad I've never experienced such a schizophrenic female companion telling me where to turn while driving.

Oh wait.

Posted via CB10
    DeliFresser likes this.
    12-29-14 03:33 PM
    Unfortunately Slagman5, I don't but I think I found a link for you. In Google search on your phone, type 'Google maps 7.0 apk. On mine, the 5th site that shows up is : Google Maps 7.0.0 apk/ Android Development and Hack/Xda forum - Click on that. Get pass the advertising and the first opening post show a link: 4.1. http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23032113221600616. It should take you to the download but you will have to wait a second or two after clicking it. I hope this works. It would on my laptop just a second ago. Let me know how it goes. The link I copied might work (I hope) but I gave the instructions just in case it fails. Don't blame if this doesn't work or messes your phone up everyone. I'm just trying to help and would never ruin someone's phone on purpose.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 05:01 PM
    I just tested the link posted and it went straight to the download page. So go down to where is says ' Begin' and wait a second or two and it should allow you to download. It worked on my laptop a few minutes ago. I didn't try it on my phone since I already have it 7.0 loaded. Good luck everyone. It sure is faster than the bloated beast 9.0's

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 05:13 PM
    No, looking out the windows of my vehicle tells me what direction i'm facing

Posted via my BlackBerry Classic
    Oh do you? Wow! I bet you are one of those guys who looks at the north star, or the sunset, or migrating birds. This would be a great response for the "Who has a bigger ****** thread", but stupid considering this is the a thread on using GOOGLE MAPS AND GPS ON A BLACKBERRY !!! So please lick your finger, hold it up to the wind, and beat yourself to death with it. These forums have enough douchebags in them for tough guy egos.
    smann40 and DeliFresser like this.
    12-29-14 05:34 PM
    Speaking of magically knowing what direction you're heading by looking out the window, do you know what would be an amazing idea? If existing road signs, such as speed limit signs, would also indicate which direction you're heading. Like a simply little N, E, S, or W on the sign somewhere. That would be such an amazingly awesome idea... Too bad it'll likely take an act of congress to do something that simple...

12-29-14 07:25 PM
    Speaking of magically knowing what direction you're heading by looking out the window, do you know what would be an amazing idea? If existing road signs, such as speed limit signs, would also indicate which direction you're heading. Like a simply little N, E, S, or W on the sign somewhere. That would be such an amazingly awesome idea... Too bad it'll likely take an act of congress to do something that simple...

Can I still get my little arrow in blackberry maps?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 08:27 PM
    Can I still get my little arrow in blackberry maps?

Posted via CB10
    Oh I don't know, I was just talking about something unrelated and in general.

12-29-14 08:30 PM

Are you implying the general public knows how to spatially interpret cardinal directions? You have way too much faith on your fellow peoples.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 01:11 AM
    Are you implying the general public knows how to spatially interpret cardinal directions? You have way too much faith on your fellow peoples.

Posted via CB10
    So... if someone doesn't know how it would help them would likely ignore it, while others who would know what to do with them that would help them immensely. So basically, don't see any harm that could possibly do...
    12-30-14 02:14 AM
    Can someone with the classic access snap and try out Nokia Here maps. It won't work on my 10.2 z30, wondering if the classic and 10.3 changes that

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 10:19 AM
    Can someone with the classic access snap and try out Nokia Here maps. It won't work on my 10.2 z30, wondering if the classic and 10.3 changes that

Posted via CB10
    Excellent question, I like Here a lot on the Windows Phone. Wonder indeed if it works sideloaded to BB.
    12-30-14 10:52 AM
    Just tried the Nokia app and it crashes on startup. Darn! You got me excited to try another off line map app. Oh well, I'm happy with OsmAnd+ as it is working great. I don't think it makes a difference but I'm using the paid version. The free version should work to give you a feel of it for whoever wants to test it out.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 11:17 AM
    Just tried the Nokia app and it crashes on startup. Darn! You got me excited to try another off line map app. Oh well, I'm happy with OsmAnd+ as it is working great. I don't think it makes a difference but I'm using the paid version. The free version should work to give you a feel of it for whoever wants to test it out.

Posted via CB10
    Did you try it on the classic or on a 10.2 device?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 11:50 AM
    So please lick your finger, hold it up to the wind, and beat yourself to death with it.
    You owe me a new coffee....

Pearl 8100->Pearl Flip->Storm->Torch 9800->Torch 9810-Bold 9900->Iphone 3g->Iphone 4g->Z10->Samsung S3->Z30->HTC m8->Note 4
    12-30-14 12:17 PM
    I tried the Nokia app on the Classic. Would it work on my Q10 which is on 10.2.1? I'll try it tonight.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 12:25 PM
70 123