So, anyone load up google maps on a Classic and Passport? Can you test to see if there's more, less, or the same amount of lag between them?

Thanks.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-26-14 05:51 PM
    Hi Slagman5, there is only a second delay between the Passport and the Classic for opening up to load to the main screen. But I use Google maps 6.8.1 and not the latest. I was tired of it always asking me if I'm tired of typing to sign in. With 6.8.1, it doesn't do that and the only thing missing that I can tell is street view, which I don't care much about. I hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 06:59 PM
    Hi Slagman5, there is only a second delay between the Passport and the Classic for opening up to load to the main screen. But I use Google maps 6.8.1 and not the latest. I was tired of it always asking me if I'm tired of typing to sign in. With 6.8.1, it doesn't do that and the only thing missing that I can tell is street view, which I don't care much about. I hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    Hm, where can I get the 6.8.1 version?

12-26-14 08:21 PM
    It is actually cleaner looking too (IMHO). Just type in Google search- Google maps 6.8.1 and the first thing that shows up for me is - GoogleMaps6.8.1.apk - Google Code. Click on it with your Classic phone browser and then you will see the GoogleMaps6.8.1.apk. Download and try it out. You might like it.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 08:32 PM
    Oh ok, cool, I'll give it a try. Thanks

12-26-14 09:23 PM
    Dude, that version is so much better than the latest version. Why did they "update" it until it broke it??

The new version feels so terribly bloated, everything you touch has to bring something else up. Keep it simple for crying out loud...

12-26-14 09:29 PM
    Hello,
    Blackberry maps is that bad? Or are you just google friendly apps?
    12-26-14 11:18 PM
    It is actually cleaner looking too (IMHO). Just type in Google search- Google maps 6.8.1 and the first thing that shows up for me is - GoogleMaps6.8.1.apk - Google Code. Click on it with your Classic phone browser and then you will see the GoogleMaps6.8.1.apk. Download and try it out. You might like it.

Posted via CB10
    You have no idea how much you saved my digital life. The only android app I feel I need is google maps and the latest version runs so poorly on my z30. This changed everything. Thank you so much!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 11:20 PM
    Out of curiosity, why not use bemaps which gives Google maps in a native app?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 11:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    I do have bemaps and I'm not sure I have an answer for you :/. I'm going to give it a shot next time.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 02:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    bemaps runs worse than gmaps. Really laggy
    12-27-14 04:00 AM
    bemaps runs worse than gmaps. Really laggy
    Yah, not 100% sure it was bemaps, but I remember trying one of these native map apps that used gmaps that everyone was saying was so great, and it really wasn't...

12-27-14 07:23 AM
    I found Gmaps to run just fine on every BB10 phone, turn by turn navigation worked well on all too

But with the latest updates to BlackBerry maps it has been my go to, has better mapping and better traffic redirection

Posted via my BlackBerry Classic
    12-27-14 07:33 AM
    I found Gmaps to run just fine on every BB10 phone, turn by turn navigation worked well on all too

But with the latest updates to BlackBerry maps it has been my go to, has better mapping and better traffic redirection

Does the newest blackberry maps tell you what direction you are faced in?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 10:15 AM
    Can't change settings in gmaps 6.8.1. And you?

 Classic
    12-27-14 10:27 AM
    Damn, it was looking so good, but with google maps 6.8.1 it will freeze midway in navigation mode, every time. The app won't freeze, I can still move around and all, but it'll think I'm perfectly still like it just lost GPS...

So with the latest version, I find it too cluttered and laggy, with 6.8.1 it freezes, and with native maps I absolutely HATE how it completely mutes my music for like a second before and after the voice navigation...

So if someone can find a version of gmaps that isn't laggy or would freeze, let me know, or if someone knows how to get native maps to give voice navigation without completely muting my music, please let me know. This is frustrating as hell...

12-28-14 12:09 PM
    solution-----buy a real gps...Lol
    12-28-14 12:20 PM
    Does the newest blackberry maps tell you what direction you are faced in?

Posted via CB10
    No, looking out the windows of my vehicle tells me what direction i'm facing

AnimalPak200 likes this.
    12-28-14 12:22 PM
    BINGO!

12-28-14 12:22 PM
    So, spend money on something everyone else can do for free with their phones? That's the best solution? And people wonder why people are leaving BB in droves...

Let's try to end that pattern and find an actual solution to this. Mmmmkay? :-)

UnlimiteD3k likes this.
    12-28-14 01:59 PM
    Hey Slagman5, thanks for the heads-up on this. I've used this version for every BB10 build and it has never failed. Even my wife Passport with 10.3.0.1418 works flawless and doesn't miss a beat. When I read your last post, I thought you were kidding, so I tried it out for myself (because I assumed it worked as it has numerous times before with my other devices). I still thought you were kidding as it almost made it to the destination but then did as you said. I was shocked so I loaded an early version, which I've used also, but it failed too. This isn't a Google maps issue but the current 10.3.1.1154 build. Hopefully, we will get an update to fix this problem, along with other issues user are having. It is odd as the offline map OsmAnd+ works perfectly fine as I had tested it several times. Maybe this is waiting to lock up on me as well. Anyways, don't give up on 6.8.1, as it is the best I've used and Google has ruined it ever since that version. I wish we could put on 10.3.0.1418 then Google maps would work and the people who need flash would be happy. But even if we could, I believe we would lose the trackpad functionality.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 02:04 PM
    Hey Slagman5, thanks for the heads-up on this. I've used this version for every BB10 build and it has never failed. Even my wife Passport with 10.3.0.1418 works flawless and doesn't miss a beat. When I read your last post, I thought you were kidding, so I tried it out for myself (because I assumed it worked as it has numerous times before with my other devices). I still thought you were kidding as it almost made it to the destination but then did as you said. I was shocked so I loaded an early version, which I've used also, but it failed too. This isn't a Google maps issue but the current 10.3.1.1154 build. Hopefully, we will get an update to fix this problem, along with other issues user are having. It is odd as the offline map OsmAnd+ works perfectly fine as I had tested it several times. Maybe this is waiting to lock up on me as well. Anyways, don't give up on 6.8.1, as it is the best I've used and Google has ruined it ever since that version. I wish we could put on 10.3.0.1418 then Google maps would work and the people who need flash would be happy. But even if we could, I believe we would lose the trackpad functionality.

Posted via CB10
    Yah, hopefully it is all fixed soon. I went back to the latest version, it's too cluttered and a little laggy but it works. I'll try out 6.8.1 again after the next update to see if it has been fixed. :-)

12-28-14 06:58 PM
    Yah, hopefully it is all fixed soon. I went back to the latest version, it's too cluttered and a little laggy but it works. I'll try out 6.8.1 again after the next update to see if it has been fixed. :-)

I guess I'm really old school then. Google maps has gotten all too fancy and cluttered for me as well. I've stayed with and am currently running version 6.14.4 and am experience no lags whatsoever even when using navigation. Compared to current versions it's bare bones but I think it works great. There's a couple links to the apk throughout the forums and on Google. It's the only version you can still be signed into Google and have Google Play services installed and the won't interfere with each other so you can still get to your starred places. However you'll have to give up street view if you need it for some reason. Just a suggestion if you're open to it....

Via my simply amazing  Q10 10.3.1.1154
    12-28-14 08:18 PM
    I just found a 6.9 version off one of my android device and just extracted the apk off of it. I will test it out tomorrow to let everyone know if it works. 7.0 and above is when they changed the format and become un-user friendly (at least for me).

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 08:20 PM
    I'm surprised it doesn't require Google services to run.
    12-28-14 08:23 PM
70 123