My mom's Classic is 4 months out of warranty and BlackBerry wants $35 to talk to them on top of whatever repairs they make.

The touch screen isn't responding normally. It'll work fine and then not register touch at all, it happens all the time.

Has anyone done an out of warranty repair with BlackBerry and have a guess as to how much they'll charge for a new screen?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 11:11 PM
    I'm not sure about BlackBerry specifically.

But I had my Classic's screen replaced at a local repair shop last week and they wanted $180 for the parts and labour.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 11:55 PM
    Where was this? That really seems excessive, no? Pretty much get another one for that price

My screen recently cracked at the top, just to the right of the speaker.

Fortunately it doesn't interfere too much with the visual and usable area, but there are tiny cracks that extend across the whole surface. I don't expect those to improve over time, if you catch my drift.

No idea if I have any warranty as I bought it unlocked at Staples and without purchasing any "extended coverage" or whatever they call it. Considering my options. Repair it myself? Local shop? Send to BlackBerry? Keep using it as is or until it becomes unusable? Get another Classic?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 10:20 AM
    A silly question, but is there a screen protector on it? If so, has it been removed to test the screen?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 02:35 PM
    Yeah, i thought it was very expensive as well. It was in Calgary, Canada. But since I was unable to find a better deal anywhere else in town, I had to pay it.

If you're considering replacing the screen yourself, watch a few youtube videos first. See if you're up to it. Make sure to buy the proper tiny tools, some proper adhesive, and a heat gun.
    When you get to the part where you have to pick away shards of glass from the old screen, DO NOT miss any!

http://www.futuresupplier.com/lcd-di...-original.html
    This is a link i've seen around Crackberry. You can get a cheap screen there. I haven't used it, so I don't have any feedback.

Will give you a good idea of what your up against. (I flaked out :P and paid people to do it for me)

--------------

If you cracked your screen while you had a screen protector on, i'd say to leave the screen protector on. That way there is a little extra holding everything together, and it may last that little bit longer.

If you're going to use the phone without repairing it, i'd suggest paying attention to moisture. Keep the phone out of the bathroom while showering, avoid rain etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 03:01 PM
    Thank you. All very helpful info and tips.

Made some long distance calls to Toronto which is closest major area to where I live, and the quotes were all within the $125-160 range. Cheaper than buying another phone I guess. Will have a screen protector on the next one.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 11:07 PM
    Hi,

Just wondering which store in Calgary you got your screen done at? I don't need any BlackBerry repairs but if you were satisfied with the work it's always a good idea to have a BlackBerry shop that I know.

Yeah, i thought it was very expensive as well. It was in Calgary, Canada. But since I was unable to find a better deal anywhere else in town, I had to pay it.

If you're considering replacing the screen yourself, watch a few youtube videos first. See if you're up to it. Make sure to buy the proper tiny tools, some proper adhesive, and a heat gun.
    When you get to the part where you have to pick away shards of glass from the old screen, DO NOT miss any!

http://www.futuresupplier.com/lcd-di...-original.html
    This is a link i've seen around Crackberry. You can get a cheap screen there. I haven't used it, so I don't have any feedback.

Will give you a good idea of what your up against. (I flaked out :P and paid people to do it for me)

--------------

If you cracked your screen while you had a screen protector on, i'd say to leave the screen protector on. That way there is a little extra holding everything together, and it may last that little bit longer.

If you're going to use the phone without repairing it, i'd suggest paying attention to moisture. Keep the phone out of the bathroom while showering, avoid rain etc.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    08-19-16 11:30 PM
    A guy here tighten up the screws at the back of his Classic and sort out some problems. Sorry I can't remember the threat title.
    I have seen a loose connector between the micro usb port and the mainboard/battery. The Classic was not charging. Reconnecting the cable firmly was all it took to get the phone charging again.
    Some problems could come from things not being firmly in place.

Posted from my  Passport
    08-20-16 11:31 AM
    Are you in the GTA by any chance? Try calling Kmaster electronics, they're fast and decently priced.

3939 Duke of York Blvd #102
    Mississauga, ON, L5B 4N2
    416-831-5257

Alternatively you could order your own screen, and then take it to a shop to install it for you if you're not comfortable doing it.
    BlackBerry Classic Q20 - ETrade Supply

Etrade is my go-to online shop for BlackBerry parts.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-23-16 11:48 AM
    Hi,

Just wondering which store in Calgary you got your screen done at? I don't need any BlackBerry repairs but if you were satisfied with the work it's always a good idea to have a BlackBerry shop that I know.

Posted via CB10

Phone freaks on 16th Ave, right across from peters.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 03:01 PM
    Phone freaks on 16th Ave, right across from peters.

Posted via CB10

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 03:09 PM
    BlackBerry wanted to charge $35 to talk to someone and then $210 to replace the screen.

More than the Classic is worth at this point.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 10:40 AM
    Not sure what a BNIB Classic is worth right now. Value seems to be holding fairly well as it is in slow but steady demand but now no longer being made. Still. You could probably find one for the overall cost you've been quoted by BlackBerry. Do you not live somewhere that has third party repair shops?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 11:33 AM
    BlackBerry wanted to charge $35 to talk to someone and then $210 to replace the screen.

More than the Classic is worth at this point.

Posted via CB10
    I was quoted $150 all in for a one hour repair in downtown Toronto.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 11:35 AM
    JOGi MODS :: Blackberry Phones Repair Service

BlackBerry Q20 Classic Cracked Screen Replacement - $119.99
    * Typically 2 hour service.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    08-25-16 12:12 PM
    JOGi MODS :: Blackberry Phones Repair Service

BlackBerry Q20 Classic Cracked Screen Replacement - $119.99
    * Typically 2 hour service.
    Thanks I saw them too. Price is certainly right but location not quite so good for me. Unless they have a TO location also? Saw only Mississauga.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 10:03 PM
    Not too sure, never been there before. I do my own repairs. :P Although Classic screen looks pretty involved!

The only shop I know of in TO is Techknowspace. It's on Front.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-02-16 02:45 PM
    Not too sure, never been there before. I do my own repairs. :P Although Classic screen looks pretty involved!

The only shop I know of in TO is Techknowspace. It's on Front.
    Thank you steph.iosso. I do a lot of repairs to different phones myself. I think with the Classic though, it does look pretty involved & I'm going to go to TechKnow Space on Front. I had discovered them even before I heard about Jogi Mods (above). Also thanks for the link to ETrade Supply.

TechKnow Space on Front is the best location for me as I visit downtown TO a few times a year. Their price is also reasonable, & they were kind & patient with me when I phoned in for a quote. That is usually a good sign too.
    09-02-16 07:29 PM