Just looking for some opinions and observations from anyone who made that switch. I'm currently using a Z30 and very happy with it, but I was a huge fan of my Bold and thinking of picking up a Classic as a backup device. Thoughts? Thanks

Posted from my Z30- best phone I've ever owned.
    01-06-16 02:13 PM
    i had a z30 i only got rid of it to get a pp got rid of the pp to get a classic because it was just too big for me if i didnt have a classic i would have gone back to the z30 but the classic is great for messaging web browsing and everyday use, compact for 1 handed use, if your not big on watching videos all day or playing games then the classic is for you it does everything i need it to extremely well and the screen is big enough to read my ebooks on
    Bleeks81 likes this.
    01-06-16 03:10 PM
    I'm right where you are. Had a Classic early in 2015. Was concerned for its durability so moved back to my Bold 9900 and then to a Z30. I am all about communication and calendar. Don't do videos and games on my phone. The Z30 is terrific, yes, but I do enjoy having the toolbelt back. have picked up a mint Classic on Swappa.com to try again. My worries were groundless. This is a fine device. And great to be using a traditional BlackBerry style again. Tho laugh at myself having to relearn my muscle memory for keyboard and touch pad again!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-16 04:32 PM
    I have both, and I think going from the Z30 go Classic makes a lot of sense.

For people going form a Bold 9900 to Classic, the transition might be more difficult because while the two look similar, the OS is entirely different. The Z30 and my Z10 and Q10 before it helped me get used to BlackBerry 10 so that by the time I used the Classic, I knew how everything worked and could just get right back to using that awesome tool belt and perfect keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub likes this.
    01-06-16 05:24 PM
    Yesterday I relegated my beloved Z30 to third phone status, in favor of my brand new, gorgeous Cobalt Blue Classic. For me, the transition has been a little difficult, because I used the same BlackBerry ID for my new Classic, as supposedly recommended by BlackBerry. Now, my Z30 device unlock is no longer working, and I hadn't changed the number. I'll need to contact BlackBerry for sure. My first impression is while I like the Classic, it's not as snappy as my Z30. No surprises here, but my one surprise so far is that it's taking longer for me to transition to a PKB, which is all new to me. OP, since you have Bold experience, you should be fine.
    01-08-16 01:26 PM
    Went from Z30 to Classic because the volume down button stopped working on the 30. Pluses and minuses with the switch. Classic could have more power under the hood and the speakers of the Z30 are amazing. The keyboard shortcuts and the call volume on the Classic are great. One of the biggest annoyances of the Classic is the delete function in the hub--cannot delete text messages and BBM by pressing the garbage can.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 03:43 PM
    I'm also going to be going from Z30 to Classic, but I may end up going back to the 9900; arguably the best BB I've ever had, for I'm also having a great experience with the Z30:

I used my 9900 beyond the two year contract; during that time it survived many slams on the floor,and many other abuses of the like. After I couldn't bring it back to life from a drop in the shower, I renewed to get the Q10 thinking it was an upgrade; it did fooled me with the slick blacked out vessel, slightly bigger keyboard, and of course I wanted to try out the new OS; only to realize it was nothing like a 9000 or 9900, but much more like the cheaper versions of the bold (curve?). Even the 9800 was a more solid device. Soon after the classic came out, but little too late for me.

A short while after that, the Z30 went on sale and since reviewers spoke great things about the virtual keyboard I decided to give it a try. Up until now, I have no complaints. I was satisfied; at first both phones became a great tag team; the Q10 provided my physical keyboard fix, until it started double typing! It was useless. Regardless, most of the time my sim card was mostly on the Z30 anyway, and it's been a great year. I do what I have to do without even thinking what phone, what model I'm carrying, that's how you know you have a good BlackBerry; it stays out of your way.

Even so, I still found myself realizing how much I missed having full control of the phone from the menu/trackpad/back button combination instead of having to go all over the screen to reach for every single thing, specially when angry, or in a hurry. Also, a full touchscreen is hard to keep it lying around uncovered; even when I pulled it out of its sleeve I always pressed something or other by mistake. It was most annoying. The back with the front cover is cool, but has been mostly a necessity. One of the unspoken qualities of a physical keyboard is how it greatly functions as a grip for the phone.

Now, I'm not sure I'm willing to let go of OS10, so I ordered the classic hoping it will be just what I'm looking for: a combination between the good old 9900 and the slick Z30. Otherwise I can just pick up a new bold for about $150ish new on eBay, and then be able to truly use one or the other. But fingers crossed for a good experience with the Classic!
    01-14-16 05:43 AM
    Run them both... :-)

Classic for work, Z30 for everything else...
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-14-16 11:26 PM
    OP, as a backup the Classic would be great. At the very least, try it as a change-of-pace device. I went all out and got the Cobalt Blue. Be Bold and consider that color; life is short! Still find typing slow, but I'm more accurate, and it's strangely enjoyable. It's because of the faint but still noticeable clicky feedback of the PKB.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    01-14-16 11:51 PM
    I went from Z30 to Classic. No regrets. If you prefer buttons to touchscreen, it's not a bad idea to switch. All non-pkb phones feel awkward and imprecise to me now.

From a Classic
    01-15-16 01:11 PM
    Let me list out things you are going to miss:
    1. The flick to type
    2. The larger screen on the z30
    3. Google map shows how slow the classic at times. It runs better on the z30
    4. Speaker quality is better on the z30
    5. Camera seems to be better on the z30...or was it because of the larger screen size...dunno

Now let me list out things you are going to enjoy
    1. The physical keyboard. Slower but more accurate especially when you combine using the on screen suggestions with typing the physical keyboard (PKB)
    2. The weight and size of the device...I dropped my z30 more than 10 times cracking and replacing the screen 3 times. I have never dropped my classic.
    3. The tool belt...although I don't use it that much.
    4. The button on the lower left side that takes you straight to the hub...I know we can slide to get there but it's a nice touch...the passport should have this as well
    5. Battery life is similar
    6. Shortcuts to launch apps by pressing a button.
    7. Typing on the home screen launches search.( you'll notice it's slow but it works)

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 12:56 PM
    I hate it when the screen on the classic highlights and turns blue when scrolling on CB...

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 01:00 PM
    I run both classic and z30, hot the Z after the classic. Every month or two I change. Pros of Z silent typing, watching videos, speakers. Pros of classic, size, faster to navigate, with keyboard and buttons. My biggest con of classic is the speaker placement I always seem to muffle it with my fingers. I can't choose so I swap around. Both are awesome. Battery is marginally better on the Z but also I noticed I can kill it easier as well. Maybe screen size? Dunno

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 08:08 PM