12-02-14 10:01 PM
112 ... 345
tools
    The fappening was a good day for reddit users but aside from that I don't know what is wrong with me.

I feel like this should be simple but just isn't. Yeah I don't like the thought of NSA monitoring me but I dislike thought of rouge cloud employee or hacker more.

I looked into boxcryptor and seemed promising but then read how keys are stored on there servers so that scared me off.

As of right now my drive has no personal files on it and trying out crashplan service to see how it is.
    No idea if that will last long though.

Seems everything I read is imperfect and always someone complaining about it.
    You could always go old school and not use the cloud at all. I have a NAS server in my basement. It has all my files on it. My PC replicates all files onto it using Windows 8 file history. The NAS server is a Qnap with two 3-TB hard drives mirrored with RAID hot-swappable. My data is protected against hardware failure but not crime or fire. I do use the cloud, not so concerned about spying so everything that is really important to me goes to the cloud. But what I could do is go old-school and put all my important stuff on a USB stick and put it in a safe deposit box. My brother and I used to store burned DVDs at each other's houses back in the day.

I could also store my important stuff encrypted on my Q10. If the house burned down, my phone would be with me so if I survive so does it. I don't see a performance hit with encryption. Using BlackBerry Link, you could easily set up a synch relationship that would keep the phone current with your files.

For me, files that matter don't take up a large amount of space. Personal pictures, videos and documents, not a huge data concern. What does take up huge space is music and tv shows and movies but that stuff is easily replaced in event of crime or fire.

Just thinking.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 11:39 AM
    Hated BlackBerry got a 9900 fell in love with BB7, left had a million Iphones jumped ship to Android had a Galaxy S3 but missed my physical keyboard so got a Q10 which blew me away build quality etc as did BB10 (which is so good Apple and Google cherry pick it for the best bits and claim it as there own) I wont be leaving BlackBerry now just not sure on a Passport or a Classic/Q20?!
    11-24-14 08:22 PM
    Some what off topic but wanted to see if anyone uses a password manager on their device and how it handles copy-paste of long passwords?
    11-24-14 09:42 PM
    Some what off topic but wanted to see if anyone uses a password manager on their device and how it handles copy-paste of long passwords?
    I use Roboform. It's full featured and available across devices. Download from snap.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    11-25-14 12:20 AM
    I use password manager from BlackBerry, works well for me.

Posted via CB10
    eldrover likes this.
    11-26-14 04:48 PM
    I left BlackBerry for Android phones. They are very good, but lack hi security, and they track everything you do to throw more advertising at you.
    I now am back with a Z10, and Passport and am very happy. All the apps I need including maps, work just fine. I'm a business user...and that is BB's target. I may sell my Z for the classic...we'll see..

You will not be disappointed.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-14 05:40 PM
    So decided, If VZW gets classic then I will buy that otherwise I will still by a Q10 and dump the Lg G2.

Now I need help cause google is getting the axe next but not sure where to go.

Can anyone offer good privacy centered alternatives to some of the google services that will work native or at least well on BB10?

Gmail ??

Drive ??

Calender ??

Keep ??

New goal is no side loading of apps at all.

Thank you for the help.
    12-01-14 10:13 PM
    I don't know what Keep is, but for mail, calendar and contacts you could use Microsoft Office365. Get a paid subscription attach your own domain to it and it is yours for life. If you get pissed off with Microsoft, take your domain elsewhere. There is a small cost, but it is such a great service and it works perfectly with BB10. It synchs email, calendar, contacts and notes.

Whatever you have going on on your phone is accessible from your computer, so if you start an enail on your phone, you can continue it from your desktop and vice versa.

If your are not one who likes Microsoft, there are many companies that offer Exchange Online and the same service quality should be there.

None of this requires apps, just add the account into BB10 once and all services are added to your hub, calendar, contacts and Remember (BB10 notes app).

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 11:32 AM
    I forgot to mention Drive replacement. If you went with Office 365 you would get unlimited OneDrive storage. If you don't go with Microsoft, go with Box for Cloud storage, as a BlackBerry user they will give you 10 GB. I find Box to be better for sharing files with people than OneDrive but both services and DropBox integrate with the BlackBerry file manager.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 11:35 AM
    To replace Google hangouts BBM is a good alternative.

Posted via CB10
    If he video chats in hangouts bbm cant do that on non blackberry devices yet (at least last time I checked, correct me if im wrong)

Bbm also is not available on desktops, and if you ran an android emulator then you still cant be logged into 2 devices on the same bbm account at once.

I use google talk on my blackberry to communicate with people who use hangouts, but I just type to them, I dont do video chats.

If the OP only types 100 txt's a month I suspect blackberry classic isnt worth it. I type 30+ txts/emails a day so it is definitely worth it for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 01:15 PM
    So decided, If VZW gets classic then I will buy that otherwise I will still by a Q10 and dump the Lg G2.

Now I need help cause google is getting the axe next but not sure where to go.

Can anyone offer good privacy centered alternatives to some of the google services that will work native or at least well on BB10?

Gmail ??

Drive ??

Calender ??

Keep ??

New goal is no side loading of apps at all.

Thank you for the help.
    I use fastmail (nominal cost, well worth it) instead of gmail.
    Wuala offers decent cloud storage but you need a sideloaded app to access. Mega has a native app though.
    I use Outlook calendar and for contacts.
    Use Evernote in place of Keep.

Posted via my gorgeous Passport
    12-02-14 01:18 PM
    I use fastmail (nominal cost, well worth it) instead of gmail.
    Wuala offers decent cloud storage but you need a sideloaded app to access. Mega has a native app though.
    I use Outlook calendar and for contacts.
    Use Evernote in place of Keep.

Posted via my gorgeous Passport
    Wanted to ask however if was able to get synced calendar and contacts between BB10 and Fastmail?
    Last edited by intrloper; 12-06-14 at 11:28 AM.
    12-02-14 10:01 PM
112 ... 345