My understanding though is can't stream files like video or pics. Need to download therm then view?
    11-19-14 11:15 PM
    My understanding though is can't stream files like video or pics. Need to download therm then view?
    Hmm YouTube is always streaming I don't download locally to my device. Pics are not necessarily saved either to device

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 11:22 PM
    Everything you need is built into this OS. There is no wasted time with custom roms or anything like that. With maybe the exception of side loading snap to get Google play apps.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    11-19-14 11:24 PM
    The streaming I mean is on drive app I can select a video and it plays from the cloud no downloading aside from the buffering to play it.
    If it does that then great.
    Just don't want to be in a situation where I might want to show off pics or videos but suddenly need to wait for them to download to sd card
    11-19-14 11:30 PM
    Been looking into a lot. My hopes are that I can use only native blackberry apps.
    I am willing make sacrifices long as I feel I am gaining more than losing.

Right now the big concerns are syncing and streaming of the limited media I care about.

I am pretty much willing to move email address, storage, music... Whatever else long as I find alternatives that work right and can stream.

As mentioned cloud storage is great but was said the files don't stream so can't swipe back and forth through pics or stream videos I have on g-drive. If able to find a way either with Google drive or with other services then it would help.

Only other issue really is if tethering with USB maybe also with hot spot will work without being charged extra.
    Have a few posts on reedit so might find out for sure soon.
    If you use Dropbox or Box, BB10 file manager can directly sync with it and you may stream your files and swipe back and forth through pictures or stream videos. Further more, BB10 file manager can also sync with your personal cloud, i.e. the files on your personal computer as long as it's not turned off.
    anon(3850) likes this.
    11-19-14 11:33 PM
    The streaming I mean is on drive app I can select a video and it plays from the cloud no downloading aside from the buffering to play it.
    If it does that then great.
    Just don't want to be in a situation where I might want to show off pics or videos but suddenly need to wait for them to download to sd card
    You can use your own PC as a personal cloud. The music and videos you play are streamed. You just need bblink running on your PC.

Edit: like aha said in the post above :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 11:52 PM
    I heard that they will make you give up the grandfathered unlimited plan if you switch phones. I'd check on that.
    Not if you pay for the new phone in full. Contact... yeah.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.1.1151
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    11-20-14 02:14 AM
    same here.

I was a die-hard android user since eclair era. really love to root and customise things...
    A couple of months ago I moved from an LG G2 android to a Q5. I needed the physical keyboard.
    the Q5 has same amount of RAM. only smaller screen but that's OK. I use facebook, but not much. once or twice a day. I'm more a BBM, email, twitter and whatsapp user for my line of work . I don't miss android to watch movie. I prefer to watch movie at home or in cinema. I don't game in my smartphone.

what I miss:
    - big screen for reading ebooks when I'm on the road
    - google keep since I have a lot of notes with pictures in there. it's free and reliable in comparation with evernote (I don't want to pay that much for a service which sometimes really difficult to sync with my mac application)
    - integration of whatsapp/bbm with other maps than BlackBerry Maps like waze or google map.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 05:19 AM
    Everything you need is built into this OS. There is no wasted time with custom roms or anything like that. With maybe the exception of side loading snap to get Google play apps.
    You have to see the humor in this contradiction, Dave.
    11-20-14 05:59 AM
    OP, keep us posted.

Informative thread.
    11-20-14 06:01 AM
    This thread is a must read for all of us Android users who are thinking of or will be going to Blackberry, either by way of the Passport or Classic. Thank you OP.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    11-20-14 06:18 AM
    Only other issue really is if tethering with USB maybe also with hot spot will work without being charged extra.
    Have a few posts on reedit so might find out for sure soon.
    I'd be interested in that. I keep a secondary android backup for that purpose. I know that VZW has had their hands slapped because of their data sharing policies but not up on their current charging schemes.
    11-20-14 06:44 AM
    Does anyone know if Google Play Books works?
    11-20-14 08:18 AM
    Tethering
    Android user thinking of moving back to blackberry, many questions.-img_20141120_103328.png

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 09:34 AM
    What is your use case for Google drive? You like it because you have a lot of free space on it. But you don't need your phone for business. What is siting there?
    11-20-14 10:55 AM
    What is your use case for Google drive? You like it because you have a lot of free space on it. But you don't need your phone for business. What is siting there?
    I use it to system link a folder for FFXI and mainly for family photos and videos. I have a cold storage folder with files in encrypted 7zips also. Mostly the family thing though.
    11-20-14 10:58 AM
    Google drive in playcloud app
    Android user thinking of moving back to blackberry, many questions.-img_20141120_121650.png
    Android user thinking of moving back to blackberry, many questions.-img_20141120_121643.png

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 11:17 AM
    Google drive in playcloud app
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141120_121650.png 
Views:	421 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	315796
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141120_121643.png 
Views:	422 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	315797

Posted via CB10
    I appreciate the time for screenshots but the tethering one doesn't explain if next months bill will be more. Not trying to be difficult just wondering if any one already does this each month without issues.
    Playcloud also looks nice but the comment about not streaming is meh.
    Was mentioned that Dropbox app does stream video and pics are simply swipable. So that will work fine for me.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    11-20-14 11:23 AM
    I appreciate the time for screenshots but the tethering one doesn't explain if next months bill will be more. Not trying to be difficult just wondering if any one already does this each month without issues.
    Was mentioned that Dropbox app does stream video and pics are simply swipable. So that will work fine for me.
    How could they charge more for data being sent through USB ?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 11:37 AM
    How could they charge more for data being sent through USB ?

Posted via CB10
    I read that they will charge a tethering fee if they catch you.
    No first hand knowledge of this just worried I will switch over and then get charged. Losing the ability to USB tether my desktop would be pretty upsetting.
    11-20-14 11:44 AM
    I don't see this mentioned, BB10 is a truly wireless device. I use Wi-Fi file transfer a lot and it works without installing any software on your computer. So my phone can be anywhere within WiFi range and not in use, I can access the file system of both the microSD and the built in memory.

I put all my music into cloud storage, usually OneDrive, but occasionally Box and DropBox. If there is music I want to listen to and it is not on my phone, I use the file manager to copy and paste it from the cloud to the music folder of my microSD. With a large microSD card I have plenty of room to just keep adding music files as I want them. I don't want all my music on my phone, that is too much data, but it is nice that I can always get at it.

There are other options such as miracast, for sharing media as well without wires.

I also use Flickr a lot for photos, it is a fabulous photo sharing and storage service. There are decent flickr apps, but even their mobile site is fine. I email my photos to flickr and don't bother with the app, but the apps work as I said.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 05:48 PM
    Can't answer the streaming issue because I'm not sure what you want exactly. Everything seems to work right from what I see. But ya other posters can answer about that.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:01 PM
    The end goal is no local files on the device out side of pics I take that day. Drop box sounds like the streaming video will meet the need and photo swiping in the app should also.

I don't share videos of pics but as a storage option that is both off site to avoid data loss if PC/phone are stolen on broken and a fast means to show off the kid when I want is nice.

Music also use to a central online location of all content so taking bits of my location isn't what I want.
    11-20-14 06:01 PM
    The end goal is no local files on the device out side of pics I take that day. Drop box sounds like the streaming video will meet the need and photo swiping in the app should also.

I don't share videos of pics but as a storage option that is both off site to avoid data loss if PC/phone are stolen on broken and a fast means to show off the kid when I want is nice.

Music also use to a central online location of all content so taking bits of my location isn't what I want.
    With an sd card you can load all your music locally. No wasted data. You can still share music without issues this way.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:04 PM
    Can't answer the streaming issue because I'm not sure what you want exactly. Everything seems to work right from what I see. But ya other posters can answer about that.

Posted via CB10
    By stream i mean when I navigate to a folder and then open a video inside there are no prompts to download then play or need to download at all it just starts playing. No files are transferred to me locally just plays from the server.
    11-20-14 06:04 PM
112 12345