You can use Google talk instead of hangouts if you don't need video.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:54 AM
    OP will never know for sure what will fit needs of the classic as it is not released yet..... that being said... much will depend on expectation.... if the OP is flexible then the classic will in all likelihood work... if however there are must have apps or functions from Android.... probably not... good luck in whatever your choice....
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-18-14 11:36 AM
    Today made me sad, decided to go out in the hope to hold a q10 again to see how it felt again to have physical keyboard but no luck, no one in louisville carries BB in store anymore.
    11-18-14 02:13 PM
    apparently you have internet though you can always get one from the "internet"
    blackguy07 likes this.
    11-18-14 02:34 PM
    Everything you remember about the old BlackBerry is now invalid. Completely different OS based on C/C++ vs the old java OS. I believe you can use Google Now. I haven't tried it myself though.

Posted via CB10
    google now is heavily tied in with google services won't work on BB10
    11-18-14 02:47 PM
    Was off work today and wanted to go play with one in hand for a bit.
    11-18-14 02:48 PM
    google now is heavily tied in with google services won't work on BB10
    Thank goodness someone corrected this.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-18-14 02:49 PM
    Totally get where you're coming from. After one year on Android I missed BlackBerry and bought a Q5 as a secondary device earlier this year. Going back to BlackBerry rocked, and I'm loving the Q5.

However, I haven't abandoned my Android, and wouldn't. I almost regard my Q5 as my primary device now and wouldn't be without it, but wouldn't be without my Android either. Typing and communication (for me the main reasons to own a smartphone) with the Q5 is awesome, and BB10 is a modern and capable OS. But my Android is better for everything else - media consumption, browsing, games, apps, Google Now, and everything wonderful that Google releases.

If I could have the one phone it may well be the Q5, but I'd miss my Android, and am glad I don't have to choose. If you have to choose then do so carefully - you'll get back all the good stuff you loved about your old BlackBerrys, but you'll give up a lot in leaving Android too.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-18-14 03:04 PM

How is the browser experience on BB? I remember way back it wasnt good at all.
    The BB10 native browser is actually the fastest mobile browser out there, or at least was a few months ago. It's great, although having multiple tabs open can end up slowing it down a notch and needing to reload pages (which it does very quickly). Flash also works on the browser and comes pre-loaded.

From a Z30
    11-18-14 03:23 PM
    Tinkering with OS options I have gotten away from some, I started doing it as a means to remove bloat ware, or just files/apps I never used.
    Custom fonts and the like I never messed with, it was more about not having Verizon dictate what I had installed out how I used the device.

Hangouts I can leave if needed, Drive is important because of the shear amount of space I get as long time google user.

I read a little that can run many android apps now from blackberry? Able to expand on that if anyone does this.

Also still wondering about Tethering options or if that is even possible.
    I use an app called Playcloud for Google drive access. It handles box, Dropbox, Onedrive, sugarsync etc..

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-18-14 03:39 PM
    Pretty much committed to drive this into the ground now.

If I move I want it not to be a secondary phone only want one device.

This has me now considering moving away from android and google all together.
    So want to ask more specific questions.

Currently have 26 contacts in Gmail, a lot I know.
    The appeal however is the sync where if I lost my phone the contacts are saved to the web and can look up info that way
    Also went through a lot of trouble to get nice high res photos for each one.
    Moving to BB I dont recall any off site sync(Not through verizon).

1) Is there a way to do this outside of Google and possibly even have photos of each contact?

Online music library that I have with Google music allows all songs to be also kept off site.

2) Not really a BB specific question but if wanted to move from google music to something else are there options for that
    or at very least if I moved all the files to say Dropbox is there a way to play a folder full of music or anything?

3) Note taking that can be saved to web, similar to Google Keep?

4) Check book app? Basicly a simple register would work, does PNC have a banking app or does the mobile site work well?

5) Reddit, Tapatalk, skype?

6) few other apps would be PDF viewer, BitTorrent apps at all?

7) It was touched on but wanted to so if anyone would give more info on Tethering. Is it done through a VZW stand alone app or is it done through the OS? Again more concerned with VZW hitting me with charges than anything.

Realistically I see myself switching if I can break away from google services and of course if VZW even bothers to carry the device.

Went to VZW, ATT, BestBuy, Sprint, and even called 3-4 more just to see if could touch a Q10 again just to get reacquainted with the platform but everytime they stared at me like I was mad.
    The VZW rep even told me he isnt sure he would let me leave the store with a BB in hand.
    Alain_A likes this.
    11-18-14 03:45 PM
    Does CloudPlay allow you to view pics and videos with thumbnails? From time to time if I want to show off a pic/vid of my son with someone I can just open drive and navigate to the folder and look through thumbnails til I find what i want then play/view it.

To expand on that, I have my music collection on google music mainly to keep it off site and ready to play anywhere I am at. Does music uploaded work or do I need to do something else?
    You can see pics and videos as thumbnails. If you want to open one, playcloud will ask if you want to download the file to open it. Also, you can not swipe through the pics, you have to select one, view it, then go back, select the next, view it, etc, with each downloading to your phone. Basically, it is not the same as browsing pictures within the pictures app of the phone. In terms of music, I don't have any in my drive, however I assume it would be the same. For every song you want to play you would need to download it first to your device. It wouldn't 'stream' it per say. Hope this help.

I'll just add, playcloud costs $1.99. Well worth it IMO for a quality native app.
    11-18-14 09:47 PM
    Do eeet bra!

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:16 PM

The appeal however is the sync where if I lost my phone the contacts are saved to the web and can look up info that way

1) Is there a way to do this outside of Google and possibly even have photos of each contact?

Online music library that I have with Google music allows all songs to be also kept off site.

2) Not really a BB specific question but if wanted to move from google music to something else are there options for that
    or at very least if I moved all the files to say Dropbox is there a way to play a folder full of music or anything?

4) Check book app? Basicly a simple register would work, does PNC have a banking app or does the mobile site work well?

7) It was touched on but wanted to so if anyone would give more info on Tethering. Is it done through a VZW stand alone app or is it done through the OS? Again more concerned with VZW hitting me with charges than anything.

Realistically I see myself switching if I can break away from google services and of course if VZW even bothers to carry the device.

Went to VZW, ATT, BestBuy, Sprint, and even called 3-4 more just to see if could touch a Q10 again just to get reacquainted with the platform but everytime they stared at me like I was mad.
    The VZW rep even told me he isnt sure he would let me leave the store with a BB in hand.
    Do not waste time with reps. I suggest buying the phone online.
    Senor Wright likes this.
    11-18-14 11:54 PM
    Look for answer in BOLD

it syncs with Gmail and it's contacts perfectly fine. Just adding the account and Voila! photos and other info is synced.

Most probably. But with bigger internal memory and SD card support up to 64/128 gb - you can keep your music offline - in your phone so not using data while playing your music... I am not sure if dropbox or box allows to keep, let's say mp3 files... but spotify (android app) or native deezer works just fine. both allow to keep music offline. but again - if you have a music collection - why not to keep it offline? You can have it synced with box/dropbox/onedrive or your computer anyway.

Evernote is nicely integrated into system. works flawlessly. accessible in the phone and on-line. not using other services, but there's wide choice of different apps as well.

cannot comment, sorry. but all bank mobile sites should work flawlessly. Website is website. from my experience - i.e. Lloyds Bank android app is exactly same mobile site, just it covered with "app" shell.Same functions, and same functionality. Only mobile site works faster . therefore - saved the link on home screen (main screen) and launch it as app. used app like 4 times. out of 100s time used via mobile site...

Reddit - Yes native. Tapatalk - Yes Android i think (do not use it). Skype - Yes, Native. and of course - all of them also available as android apps.

Of course. Plenty and various apps. FYI: PDF viewer is integrated in system seamlessly. BbitTorrent - very nice native app called BitTorque. but you need it sideload (not available in BB App World for some reason. but very simple to upload using Sachesi. there's forum Thread about it. + wide range of android apps of your choice.

Not using verizon, but there and option for Mobile Hotspot in connections tab, and accessible via quick settings menu. as I recall - not different from android mobile HotSpot settings.

Seriously - there is no big difference between BB and let's say Android phones. You'll get more or less same experience. some app names might be different, but phones are capable to provide basically same functions, only BB 10 OS experience will be far more superior because of Hub, flow and gestures.
    Last edited by yessuz; 11-19-14 at 03:59 AM.
    Thunderbuck, Xenolock and merli001 like this.
    11-19-14 02:14 AM
    Anyone use the "Go Music" app to sync Google music library?

If it works then that is just another nail in my android coffin.

Like really folks I was up half the night looking at BB stuff I really freaking miss this platform. I do love my android but really want to try and come back.

Should note a few things, since I am on UDP I love the thought of streaming media from cloud servers. So pics of son and vids not having to download a copy before I view would be great. Any solutions to this also would be great. Again I am willing to move away from google but just need proper way to do it.
    Dont want music files on PC and BB, cloud seems the best. Mainly because if something breaks or gets stolen I dont need to worry that anything is gone really and old school backups seem weak in this day and age.
    11-19-14 12:38 PM
    7. Your VZW tethering question. If you have the high plan "More Everything", the hotspot feature is "free". I use FoxFi paid app on android and that gives hotspot capability. Unfortunately, the app doesn't work on my Z30. I also have a PlayBook and can Bridge to that for no extra fees. Hopefully BBRY will offer a new tablet in the near future.

Most people have never experienced BB10. I think if more people did, they would have a different opinion of BBRY. True, you do have to go through a few hoops to install Snap (Google Play app installer) and Amazon Apps Store but they work fine if the apps work. I think VZW is still offering the Z30. Maybe you can find one of them to play with and get an idea of BB10. Then get a Q10 on eBay or Amazon if you like the physical keyboard.

Edit: Are you sure you can't get a Q10 on VZW? Just looked online and it is there.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 11-19-14 at 02:03 PM.
    11-19-14 01:32 PM
    7. Your VZW tethering question. If you have the high plan "More Everything", the hotspot feature is "free". I use FoxFi paid app on android and that gives hotspot capability. Unfortunately, the app doesn't work on my Z30. I also have a PlayBook and can Bridge to that for no extra fees. Hopefully BBRY will offer a new tablet in the near future.

Most people have never experienced BB10. I think if more people did, they would have a different opinion of BBRY. True, you do have to go through a few hoops to install Snap (Google Play app installer) and Amazon Apps Store but they work fine if the apps work. I think VZW is still offering the Z30. Maybe you can find one of them to play with and get an idea of BB10. Then get a Q10 on eBay or Amazon if you like the physical keyboard.

Edit: Are you sure you can't get a Q10 on VZW? Just looked online and it is there.
    I am on grandfathered unlimited data, with custom rom on android the tethering is built into OS and when I do tether it is USB, very seldom do I bother with HotSpot.

Only real concern was if tethering feature was built into BB10 and Not disabled by VZW, if it does work natively then should be fine I would hope.

If I move back to BB it will be the Classic if VZW offers it, might be willing to do the Q10 but want that physical keyboard.

Yeah VZW still does sell the Q10 but in stores no one seems to carry demo devices which was the purpose of yesterday's outing.
    11-19-14 02:16 PM
    If it works then that is just another nail in my android coffin.
    I wanted to jump in and answer his questions but you guys seem to be doing one heck of a fine job on your own!
    11-19-14 02:29 PM
    Oh, you want to do USB tethering. It is in the BB10 OS but I haven't tried it. I have an older plan as well. I've only gone the hotspot route cuz I hate cords and i usually have multiple devices to connect. I'll try it and report back.

Yeah, VZW didn't offer the PassPort either. I wonder if anyone has it working on VZW. Sounds like these phones are "multi-banded". VZW did have its own Z30, though.

I heard that they will make you give up the grandfathered unlimited plan if you switch phones. I'd check on that.
    11-19-14 02:42 PM
    Oh, you want to do USB tethering. It is in the BB10 OS but I haven't tried it. I have an older plan as well. I've only gone the hotspot route cuz I hate cords and i usually have multiple devices to connect. I'll try it and report back.

Yeah, VZW didn't offer the PassPort either. I wonder if anyone has it working on VZW. Sounds like these phones are "multi-banded". VZW did have its own Z30, though.

I heard that they will make you give up the grandfathered unlimited plan if you switch phones. I'd check on that.
    Wont go into detail but there are ways around losing UDP, just upgraded a line in last 2 weeks and was able to keep UDP.
    11-19-14 02:48 PM
    I checked the USB tether. When activating, it warned about possible charges so I didn't go any farther. VZW is so money hungry.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 05:27 PM
    Since you did mention the Classic, there is something else to point out. The tool belt is a very unique set of controls that may only meaningfully work with native BlackBerry apps, specifically apps updated for the latest version. If you are seeking to install many Android apps on a Classic, apps developed and optimised for touchscreen devices, you might end up disappointed (we don't know yet how it all works).

In addition, Android apps don't perform optima forma on BlackBerry 10, there likely will be lacklustre performance, possibly crashes and feature limitations (especially push notifications). I wrote this elsewhere already, and I'm probably a wee bit biased, but you should not by default expect the same performance or satisfaction from any Android app if you hope to use BlackBerry as a hybrid device.
    11-19-14 09:35 PM
    Been looking into a lot. My hopes are that I can use only native blackberry apps.
    I am willing make sacrifices long as I feel I am gaining more than losing.

Right now the big concerns are syncing and streaming of the limited media I care about.

I am pretty much willing to move email address, storage, music... Whatever else long as I find alternatives that work right and can stream.

As mentioned cloud storage is great but was said the files don't stream so can't swipe back and forth through pics or stream videos I have on g-drive. If able to find a way either with Google drive or with other services then it would help.

Only other issue really is if tethering with USB maybe also with hot spot will work without being charged extra.
    Have a few posts on reedit so might find out for sure soon.
    11-19-14 09:45 PM
    Been looking into a lot. My hopes are that I can use only native blackberry apps.
    I am willing make sacrifices long as I feel I am gaining more than losing.

Right now the big concerns are syncing and streaming of the limited media I care about.

I am pretty much willing to move email address, storage, music... Whatever else long as I find alternatives that work right and can stream.

As mentioned cloud storage is great but was said the files don't stream so can't swipe back and forth through pics or stream videos I have on g-drive. If able to find a way either with Google drive or with other services then it would help.

Only other issue really is if tethering with USB maybe also with hot spot will work without being charged extra.
    Have a few posts on reedit so might find out for sure soon.
    Playcloud is the best choice for file management. You get access to all types of clouds,ftp,etc.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 11:12 PM
112 1234 ...